Part of CalPreps bias against GA shown...

ECHS05

6 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Liberty wouldnt beat Cartersville... 

I dont think you understand the difference between NV publics and GA publics.... 

The gap in NV is ridiculous.... 

Liberty wouldnt beat Cartersville.... 

I had to like your post because it made me laugh. 

Figure you have a better handle on the high school scene nationally do you?

lol

peace out brtother

Just now, noonereal said:

lol

peace out brtother

Have you seen NV HSFB? An amateur can look and tell NV isnt as strong... have you seen the other OOS results for NV? Because I have and I can tell you scores like 61-7 and 49-0 doesnt exactly scream "our states strong" having something like that happen to 1 team ok thats understandable...

But all of your teams are losing by margins and scores like that.... no thats a sign...

25 minutes ago, noonereal said:

lol

peace out brtother

NOR... 

You said Liberty would defeat Cartersville?

This isnt Chandler & Valdosta, k. Cartersville would come in a 7-10 point favorite and go home a 21-24 point winner.

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

It's easy to have a valid point on any subject and just be making shi% up. 

Trust me, business thrives on it. 

The most ridiculous part of all this is that he is arguing for tiny adjustment to all go GA's way. 

Here is what I mean. 

Grayson finished #6 last year at Cal. The same damned place as they did in every other poll. 

How does Cal get that right and the rest of GA wrong? 

But oh wait, there is more. Valdosta finished at 58. Just yesterday Opie called Valdosta a top 75 national team. 

Well, looks like Cal got that right too. 

You tell me how a machine computerizing scores from 16,000 teams a week can get some teams right in GA and some teams wrong? See, it's not possible.

and there is more

Opie almost always agrees with how many top 100 teams GA has in Cal. 

So his whole made up arithmetic is not relevant. It just never comes out exactly AS good as he would prefer.

Guess what, Nj loses in CalPreps. Why? So few playoff games. (they hold more weight) I never bitch, it is what it is. It's not perfect but it's way better than any human poll. 

It's a rating and the formula is not changed during the year. 

and here is another thing to understand. Cal, for right or wrong, values the opponents you play. Most good GA teams play pitiful soft schedules when it come to elite programs. If being ranked a "tad" better in Cal is so important to the little guy, he should be arranging some better competition for the teams he thinks are all world.

Guess what, two teams in GA stepped up their schedules last year. Cudos although long overdo. They both got slapped down as a result though. 

IMG beat Grayson pretty easily.

IMG was ranked #4 by Cal, Grayson #6. Where is the complaint? How is GA being undervalued?

See? 

The kid is a whining baby who made up a simple arithmetic model to fit into his desired result. (not allowed in real science) 

Meantime Cal is designed and run by a freakin' scientist, schooled in logic, math and computers. 

The kid has a better mouse trap? 

Anyway, I know the simplicity of his argument has seduced a few. Don't be a dolt. 

If it were as easy as Opie says, he would not be working the counter at McDonalds. 

Your argument is Ned is a "scientist" and Im not... so he must be right.

Holy shit.

Just bc he "knows math" doesnt mean this is perfect. It means its something he wanted to do and it caught on with some people. I mean technically it works, there are just bad flaws using it NATIONALLY , when OOS are a very small percentage of games.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Are you really gonna try and Compare Liberty to Cartersville...

"Liberty has better wins than Cartersville" thats a damn hefty stretch there buddy.... 

Westlake in Austin wasnt that good last year.... they didnt beat the Westlake that beat Katy.... they beat the Westlake that liked to self destruct in the face of Adversity... 

Liberty would smoke cartersville!! By 20+!!!

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

It's easy to have a valid point on any subject and just be making shi% up. 

Trust me, business thrives on it. 

The most ridiculous part of all this is that he is arguing for tiny adjustment to all go GA's way. 

Here is what I mean. 

Grayson finished #6 last year at Cal. The same damned place as they did in every other poll. 

How does Cal get that right and the rest of GA wrong? 

But oh wait, there is more. Valdosta finished at 58. Just yesterday Opie called Valdosta a top 75 national team. 

Well, looks like Cal got that right too. 

You tell me how a machine computerizing scores from 16,000 teams a week can get some teams right in GA and some teams wrong? See, it's not possible.

and there is more

Opie almost always agrees with how many top 100 teams GA has in Cal. 

So his whole made up arithmetic is not relevant. It just never comes out exactly AS good as he would prefer.

Guess what, Nj loses in CalPreps. Why? So few playoff games. (they hold more weight) I never bitch, it is what it is. It's not perfect but it's way better than any human poll. 

It's a rating and the formula is not changed during the year. 

and here is another thing to understand. Cal, for right or wrong, values the opponents you play. Most good GA teams play pitiful soft schedules when it come to elite programs. If being ranked a "tad" better in Cal is so important to the little guy, he should be arranging some better competition for the teams he thinks are all world.

Guess what, two teams in GA stepped up their schedules last year. Cudos although long overdo. They both got slapped down as a result though. 

IMG beat Grayson pretty easily.

IMG was ranked #4 by Cal, Grayson #6. Where is the complaint? How is GA being undervalued?

See? 

The kid is a whining baby who made up a simple arithmetic model to fit into his desired result. (not allowed in real science) 

Meantime Cal is designed and run by a freakin' scientist, schooled in logic, math and computers. 

The kid has a better mouse trap? 

Anyway, I know the simplicity of his argument has seduced a few. Don't be a dolt. 

If it were as easy as Opie says, he would not be working the counter at McDonalds. 

Yeah but whats the logic and math that explains the drop in rankings to start things off?  He posted facts on how the different state's teams were ranked at the end of last year as compared to where they are this preseason.   Statistically speaking those changes seem outside the norm, wouldn't you agree?

As far as Cartersville,  I'm not a huge believer in them, I have to see it on the field, but as far as Ga as a whole I think ECH's data does support a bit his theory of Ga being a bit underrated on CP.

You guys all see the big losses and don't see more of the "depth" OOS games that Ga plays every year.   For example 5-5 Creekside (not 7a and ranked 80+ in state) took down Miami Norland.    How many state's 80th+ ranked teams are gonna be able to do that?  Maaaybe Texas and Cali, but GA as a state is much deeper than you guys let on.

22 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yeah but whats the logic and math that explains the drop in rankings to start things off?  He posted facts on how the different state's teams were ranked at the end of last year as compared to where they are this preseason.   Statistically speaking those changes seem outside the norm, wouldn't you agree?

It could be as simple as Ned doesn't have a lot of information on GA at this time but he still puts out something for clicks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ararar said:

It could be as simple as Ned doesn't have a lot of information on GA at this time but he still puts out something for clicks.

Thats stupid. Where GA is, isnt going to get better this preseason.

But if you look he doesnt have much on any of the FL TX or OH teams either.

Why drop GA so much from the End of Year poll to the Preseason poll EVERY SINGLE year but keep the other top states essentially the same?

I will say... Florida got a huge boost I noticed starting last year... clearly someone straightened him out on them.

Its like your instinct is to defend this thing like its your child... no matter how bad the facts look youll defend it... youd think your instinct would be just the opposite, to question it.

When Miami. Northwestern was ranked in the 40's behind a team from Iowa back in 2007 when they won the MNC that's all I needed. 

And when Curtis won it a few years ago weren't they in the 80's? 

I don't think for a second that Curtis was number 1 but to be outside the top 50 proved they don't rank teams, they rank schedules 

3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Your argument is Ned is a "scientist" and Im not... so he must be right.

Holy shit.

Just bc he "knows math" doesnt mean this is perfect. It means its something he wanted to do and it caught on with some people. I mean technically it works, there are just bad flaws using it NATIONALLY , when OOS are a very small percentage of games.

finally, a valid response

good job

1 minute ago, Nolebull813 said:

When Miami. Northwestern was ranked in the 40's behind a team from Iowa back in 2007 when they won the MNC that's all I needed. 

And when Curtis won it a few years ago weren't they in the 80's? 

I don't think for a second that Curtis was number 1 but to be outside the top 50 proved they don't rank teams, they rank schedules 

Cal does not rank schedules, it ranks accomplishments

very different

it is not a head count ranking

Curtis was a head count team

proved nothing on the field

Cal ranked them correctly given the criteria they use

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

NOR... 

You said Liberty would defeat Cartersville?

This isnt Chandler & Valdosta, k. Cartersville would come in a 7-10 point favorite and go home a 21-24 point winner.

of course Liberty could win.

They beat Westlake.

Could Cartersville do that? 

But that was not the point. Liberty DID MORE on the field so I would have ranked them ahead of Carterville. 

Cal gave the nod to Cartersville. No hate for GA in putting Carterville ahead of Liberty.

2 hours ago, 954gator said:

Cal, like EVERY sports algorithm in every sport I have ever read about, eliminates starting values and any effect on the season.  Some lazy algorithms do not publish until several games are played. Cal, like many, wants to sell it's product so it gives reasonable, not perfect  non performance based ratings to start. But as they are eliminated, by seasons end it has ZERO affect. 

When I was a kid I would do this in a simplistic way with my friends. They be shocked.  It's just not hard to eliminate starting values. Echs entire argument hinges on it not being possible. Or that Ned is a liar. Why would Ned lie when it's so easy to do? Why would a scientist pull a parlor trick? 

If GA wants better ranking they need two things. Better schedules and positive outcome. 

Think if Grayson beat IMG. Think if Colquitt ran their schedule last year. Echs would not need to complain about Cal. Had Valsota taken care of it's last game.....

Mill, Cartersville and Roswell have no complaints in Cal. They simply did not prove anything more the rating they received. 

Cal is COMPLETELY even handed in this. 

Freeman's preseason ratings are basically head counts adjusted to last year's performance...  whether the starting ratings get eliminated or not is irrelevant because the schools are being scaled against each other in-state (except with the small overall % of OOS games).   I'll explain with photos that I used above. 

Like with human pollsters,  Freeman gets dizzy with D1's and returning starters just like us humans do... but still no Charmin +/-  factor added or subtracted, one day. :)  Two examples that caught my eye.   

CP is digging the greatest O on earth, but defense and special teams are just a tad important too.  

Mater Dei info below.  

STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES
Team Strengths: 10 Starters Back From Prolific Offense, Have Many D1 Players With Multiple Offers
Team Weaknesses: Must Rebuild Defense, Both Kickers Need To Be Replaced

RATINGS
2016 Final Power Rating: 85.6
2016 National Rank: #3
2016 State Rank: #2
General Personnel (Back/Lost) Rating Adjustment*: +6.5
D1 Talent (Back/Lost) Rating Adjustment*: +8

Reg Season Schedule Strength Downward Rating Adjustment*: -1
2017 Starting Power Rating*: 99.1

RETURNERS
Returning Offensive Starters: 10
Returning Defensive Starters: 5
2016 JV Record: 9-1
Starting Quarterback Returning: yes
Top Running Back Returning: yes
Top Receiver Returning: yes
Top OL Returning: yes
Top Defender Returning: no

------------------------------------------------------------

Armwood hasn't filled in their stats yet... but Freeman is jacking up their preseason rating based on numerous returning juniors with fbs offers.  The crossed off tally is what's jacking up Armwood from a decent #250 rated team to a ridiculous #9 powerhouse due to returning FBS recruits  Note:  They started preseason rating #8 last year.  

Armwood is the #1 rated school in FL preseason (excluding IMG).   Silly.  Those recruits played last year, this isn't an IMG invasion.  "They are what we thought they were".  

2016 Final Power Rating: 52.5
2016 National Rank: #247
2016 State Rank: #24
D1 Talent (Back/Lost) Rating Adjustment*: +16.3
Reg Season Schedule Strength Downward Rating Adjustment*: -1
Player Statistics-Based (Back/Lost) Rating Adjustment*: +7.2
2017 Starting Power Rating*: 75
2017 National Rank*: #9
2017 State Rank*: #2

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Thats stupid. Where GA is, isnt going to get better this preseason.

But if you look he doesnt have much on any of the FL TX or OH teams either.

Why drop GA so much from the End of Year poll to the Preseason poll EVERY SINGLE year but keep the other top states essentially the same?

I will say... Florida got a huge boost I noticed starting last year... clearly someone straightened him out on them.

Its like your instinct is to defend this thing like its your child... no matter how bad the facts look youll defend it... youd think your instinct would be just the opposite, to question it.

What's stupid is you constantly trying to convince the members of this forum that a man who has dedicated his entire adult life to a scientific gathering of numerical data for the sole purpose of eliminating bias has suddenly forsaken his life's work for no other reason than to stick it to GA high school football.I sincerely hope this helps you realize how ridiculous you have become on this subject 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

th?id=OIP.wtuxATJ32kaUxg9Td9O7FwEsDH&pid=15.1&P=0&w=240&h=160

Freeman has a state rating rank preseason... not all states begin with the same boundary limitations and no school in the power states is capped, while in the bottom rung states there is 0% chance that a school can finish #1.  Why?  Because he sets the movement criteria and refuses to have a Rhode Island state champ reaching top 100 status for example.   I'd do the same thing but I would also explain it better to the readers.  

guyrush.jpg

States calibrated ratings have limitations.  If a team is rocking and kicking ass, they are moving up... and other schools in the state are adversely affected and dropping.  

Brick%20Wall.jpg

You can't change what Freeman created...  not happening.   

th?id=OIP.PbSTDjYYU91shCdm8EVlQADBEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Rejected... sorry #1 in Rhode Island, you are capped.  

th?id=OIP.0aqkJSV6OHa_EDCGCrqqJQDgEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Sorry #5 in West Virginia, you are not having a similar #5 national rating as the #5 team in GA

non-bump-see-saw-34.jpg

Minus OOS games (tiny % in-state).  What goes up, another goes down in-state.   

Atari-Breakout_1.jpg

Sure you can advance/breakout... but you're going to have to maximize your state's OOS games.   To break down that cap wall, you have to perform outside of that cap area.