Starting It Early - Colquitt vs Valdosta

Rufus69

Gurus...my poor, tiny, little undersized Hawgs are about to find out where we are as a football team.  I've been on the fence since the Spring game...still am...about our progress and how we're gonna pan out this year.  Don't get me wrong...we have some athletes.  We have the potential to "show out" and snatch us a very good ticket for the AAAAAAA playoffs.  WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL.

Now that being said....we ain't there just yet...but this coming Friday night...we get to privilege of playing the Valdosta Wildcats in Bazemore-Hyder in front of a packed house.  We've played the Cats just about every year since 1913.  At one time...THEY were our biggest rival.  Valdosta is absolutely loaded in 2019.  Coach Rod has an abundance of STUDS....led by his son...Senior QB1..."Lil Rod" (about 6'4" 230 lbs).  They throw the ball well.  They run the ball well...and they play defense like the Cats of old.  This team is their best one they've had in a WHILE.  On paper...they should very well get us Friday night.  ON PAPER.

But...Region 1 games in South Georgia ain't won on paper.  That ain't supposition.  That's fact.  I'm not sure if Coach Rogers knows anything about the Wildcats/Packers history...but if he doesn't he'll HEAR all about it in the upcoming segment of his life.  This one is important to a LOT of people on both sides.  Sure...it's only for pride these days.  Valdosta plays in AAAAAA.   They're not a Region foe anymore.  But I can assure you...there won't be anything left on the field after this one.  I got asked about this rivalry...and how much "hate" was involved.  I told the guy point blank....this is not Tift/Colquitt or Lowndes/Colquitt...or Grayson/Colquitt (Smile)...it's not really about hate.  It's about RESPECT.  It was once said about the Bazemore coached teams...that they would knock you on your derriere...and then reach down with a hand to help you back up after the play.  That doesn't happen much these days...but the respect is still there.

Valdosta is...and has always been...a litmus test.  Around 11:00 pm on Friday night...Packer Nation will have a better understanding of what we have...and where we're going.   I don't wanna give you gurus the idea that this game is life and death.  NO sir...it's a lot more important than that !!!!!

GO YOU HAIRY HAWGS !!!!!

...........GATA...........

Rufus>>

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FloTex said:

Date and time?

May try to go to this one..

Upcoming Friday at 8pm

Say something now and I'll buy you a ticket Monday morning. We are setting up our tent at the ticket office this afternoon. 

Serving s'mores at 8 tonight. 

Gonna be a long night camping on concrete for 50 yardline tickets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Upcoming Friday at 8pm

Say something now and I'll buy you a ticket Monday morning. We are setting up our tent at the ticket office this afternoon. 

It’s either this game, or the Lowndes game.  

I love the camping out for tickets at the ticket office.  Reminds me of Port Neches-Groves when my dad coached there.  Those ppl live and breathe PNG Indian football.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Upcoming Friday at 8pm

Make sure you get Rab a ticket on the Valdosta Home side....(Smile).

Rufus>>

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FloTex said:

I love the camping out for tickets at the ticket office.  Reminds me of Port Neches-Groves when my dad coached there.  Those ppl live and breathe PNG Indian football.

Do lowndez game... they sand bag every team they play Valdosta hasn’t been relevant since the 60s.. games gonna be a blowout, I’d rather go to lowness game cause atleast they will make it a game

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Do lowndez game... they sand bag every team they play Valdosta hasn’t been relevant since the 60s.. games gonna be a blowout, I’d rather go to lowness game cause atleast they will make it a game

Telling you now... The Valdosta-Colquitt game will be the toughest ticket in South Georgia this week. Both teams storied and both undefeated with some hype. 

Probably will be easier to get Valdosta homeside seats though. Much larger seating chart. 

Can't really say which game will be better though. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FloTex said:

I may be exaggerating about camping out literally. Will certainly have an "agent" at the sales office when they open in the a.m. though. 

@Rufus69 this is relevant but an aside... 

What did you think about the T-Ville Bulldogs D-line's  "strain" technique against our O-line Friday night? 

Instead of lifting they just dove into our knees all night. Either poor coaching or intentional. Our center comes away with an ankle. Our right tackle was nursing an ankle already. Our right guard has a hip issue. 

I hope we can heal up quickly. Them Cats is hangry. 

12 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Telling you now... The Valdosta-Colquitt game will be the toughest ticket in South Georgia this week. Both teams storied and both undefeated with some hype. 

Probably will be easier to get Valdosta homeside seats though. Much larger seating chart. 

Can't really say which game will be better though. 

Cmon now every week we hear this about your upcoming  opponents  Only to check the score and Colquitt winning by 50... just once I wanna hear this team we’re playing is terrible, i just want honesty,,, I don’t think I heard that the last 2 years, yeah this team were playing is terrible we should win by 30, Not saying Valdosta is terrible just stating I don’t think I ever heard y’all say a team your about to play is simply not good

18 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

@Rufus69 this is relevant but an aside... 

What did you think about the T-Ville Bulldogs D-line's  "strain" technique against our O-line Friday night? 

Instead of lifting they just dove into our knees all night. Either poor coaching or intentional. Our center comes away with an ankle. Our right tackle was nursing an ankle already. Our right guard has a hip issue. 

I hope we can heal up quickly. Them Cats is hangry. 

I think they acted like Tech wannabees.   It's frigging coaching.    Zach should know better than that.  I know he's under a LOT of pressure after losing to Central...but that type of blocking is uncalled for.  I wanted to see one of our O-Line guys lay one of them out with a blindside.  Hell....it would have been another penalty...LOL.  But that one would have been worth it.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Cmon now every week we hear this about your upcoming  opponents  Only to check the score and Colquitt winning by 50... just once I wanna hear this team we’re playing is terrible, i just want honesty,,, I don’t think I heard that the last 2 years, yeah this team were playing is terrible we should win by 30, Not saying Valdosta is terrible just stating I don’t think I ever heard y’all say a team your about to play is simply not good

T-Ville was terrible. Colquitt has beaten them by a combined 96-6 the last 2 years. 

They came to Moultrie 0-2 and left 0-3. 

No way would I ever say a team coming to Moultrie is terrible. It's not good for ticket sales. It's not good if the team starts hearing it. Etc. 

While our kids are watching film and knowledgeable about the type of team they're facing... We certainly don't want to down play any opponent in the advance of a game. 

Would you do that? 

Also, if iron sharpens iron, why is Thomasvile getting.worse and not better. I'm seeing.quite a few of the national board guru narratives falling apart lately.

32 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

T-Ville was terrible. Colquitt has beaten them by a combined 96-6 the last 2 years. 

They came to Moultrie 0-2 and left 0-3. 

No way would I ever say a team coming to Moultrie is terrible. It's not good for ticket sales. It's not good if the team starts hearing it. Etc. 

While our kids are watching film and knowledgeable about the type of team they're facing... We certainly don't want to down play any opponent in the advance of a game. 

Would you do that? 

Also, if iron sharpens iron, why is Thomasvile getting.worse and not better. I'm seeing.quite a few of the national board guru narratives falling apart lately.

Zach's honeymoon is OVER.  First of all...you know and I know...he can't lose to Central.   He can get spanked by Colquitt till the cows come home...BUT...he simply can't lose to Central.  He may be able to turn things around...but he better find a way to do it soon.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Zach's honeymoon is OVER.  First of all...you know and I know...he can't lose to Central.   He can get spanked by Colquitt till the cows come home...BUT...he simply can't lose to Central.  He may be able to turn things around...but he better find a way to do it soon.

Rufus>>

Well, the loss of the most amazing qb in the history of qbs to IMG just apparently decimated the Bulldogs. Mascoe was the death of them. Lol. 

Their answer... Steal Cairo's qb. 

Then Cairo beats them anyway. 

The narrative here is, if you are playing other great teams you must just naturally get better. The reality is, not necessarily. It still takes a perfect storm to win. Some teams will always be the beatup material annually for the teams that are set up correctly.

46 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The narrative here is, if you are playing other great teams you must just naturally get better. The reality is, not necessarily. It still takes a perfect storm to win. Some teams will always be the beatup material annually for the teams that are set up correctly.

Bruh Example A: Columbia has never scheduled a decent team

outcome: Columbia has not won a State championship since 1965

4 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Gurus...my poor, tiny, little undersized Hawgs are about to find out where we are as a football team.  I've been on the fence since the Spring game...still am...about our progress and how we're gonna pan out this year.  Don't get me wrong...we have some athletes.  We have the potential to "show out" and snatch us a very good ticket for the AAAAAAA playoffs.  WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL.

Now that being said....we ain't there just yet...but this coming Friday night...we get to privilege of playing the Valdosta Wildcats in Bazemore-Hyder in front of a packed house.  We've played the Cats just about every year since 1913.  At one time...THEY were our biggest rival.  Valdosta is absolutely loaded in 2019.  Coach Rod has an abundance of STUDS....led by his son...Senior QB1..."Lil Rod" (about 6'4" 230 lbs).  They throw the ball well.  They run the ball well...and they play defense like the Cats of old.  This team is their best one they've had in a WHILE.  On paper...they should very well get us Friday night.  ON PAPER.

But...Region 1 games in South Georgia ain't won on paper.  That ain't supposition.  That's fact.  I'm not sure if Coach Rogers knows anything about the Wildcats/Packers history...but if he doesn't he'll HEAR all about it in the upcoming segment of his life.  This one is important to a LOT of people on both sides.  Sure...it's only for pride these days.  Valdosta plays in AAAAAA.   They're not a Region foe anymore.  But I can assure you...there won't be anything left on the field after this one.  I got asked about this rivalry...and how much "hate" was involved.  I told the guy point blank....this is not Tift/Colquitt or Lowndes/Colquitt...or Grayson/Colquitt (Smile)...it's not really about hate.  It's about RESPECT.  It was once said about the Bazemore coached teams...that they would knock you on your derriere...and then reach down with a hand to help you back up after the play.  That doesn't happen much these days...but the respect is still there.

Valdosta is...and has always been...a litmus test.  Around 11:00 pm on Friday night...Packer Nation will have a better understanding of what we have...and where we're going.   I don't wanna give you gurus the idea that this game is life and death.  NO sir...it's a lot more important than that !!!!!

GO YOU HAIRY HAWGS !!!!!

...........GATA...........

Rufus>>

230 lbs? I'll agree with the 6'4 thing, but that boy ain't no 230. He's about 195 soaking wet...lol. 

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Bruh Example A: Columbia has never scheduled a decent team

outcome: Columbia has not won a State championship since 1965

So? That doesn't prove the narrative. Just for the sake of the converation, let's pretend Thomasville and Columbia are the same team. 

They both schedule Colquitt each year and the both get rolled by the Thomasville margin for the last two years. 

Now what? 

Neither win a state chip still. 

They still have to have the perfect storm of coaching, talent and playoff run. Period. 

What you learned from who you played, regardless of ranking, doesn't change. 

Colquitt has seen elite line backers in one game. Then an elite o-line in the next. Etc. Etc. The runs at the playoffs and state title still came from being able to take what they learned from the film and learn. 

Without coaching, and the ability to put the string together through the film study, no championships. No deep runs. Etc. 

I know. I know. That flies in the face of the sales pitch on here, but, it's the way I see it from my vantage point after having watched a plenty for the last several years. #againstthegrain

17 minutes ago, Wildcat3 said:

Rufus loves to poor mouth his Hawgs.  Cats are better this year but shouldn't and won't beat Colquitt nor Lowndes.  We don't have the depth.  3 seniors on D and 5 on Offense. 

Pack will score a pile and the Cats will be lucky to score a 1/4 pile

Depth..... well after this past friday's game with lee and peach, does depth actually matter? Or is it more about talent? 

• Like 1