Palm Desert CA. at Odessa Permian 9-20-19

Jack Reacher

Palm Desert Aztecs coming to Texas to play the Permian Panthers. I'd say normally this wouldn't be a game worth discussing, but with the Mojos mired in a down season (could be historically down) I think the Aztecs have a decent shot at pulling the upset. They were 11-1 last season and supposedly on the upswing to be even better in 2019. Apparently they haven't lived up to the hype so much, but they still have a chance to earn some Cali bragging rights on Permian's homecoming night.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Palm Desert is a 3A equivalent.  They're not winning

That seems generous given what the results say.

Palm Desert is 2-2.

Both wins were against teams with negative ratings in calpreps (-33.1 and -38.8) and both losses were against teams with positive ratings (6.3 and 4.0).

They lost in the second round of the D9 playoffs last year.

Permian by a lot.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, The Guru said:

That seems generous given what the results say.

Palm Desert is 2-2.

Both wins were against teams with negative ratings in calpreps (-33.1 and -38.8) and both losses were against teams with positive ratings (6.3 and 4.0).

They lost in the second round of the D9 playoffs last year.

Permian by a lot.

I agree with the outcome

38 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Palm Desert Aztecs coming to Texas to play the Permian Panthers. I'd say normally this wouldn't be a game worth discussing, but with the Mojos mired in a down season (could be historically down) I think the Aztecs have a decent shot at pulling the upset. They were 11-1 last season and supposedly on the upswing to be even better in 2019. Apparently they haven't lived up to the hype so much, but they still have a chance to earn some Cali bragging rights on Permian's homecoming night.

Ha, they will not beat the Panthers.  Mojo or no.  They play in a weak league out in the middle of the mojave desert. 

13 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You lost me at "Palm".

Sounds like a young HC infatuated by the Friday Night Lights story line wants to check off a bucket list even if it means that his team gets maulted in the process.

Believe me. That’s a way of life in Florida. 

You would think you get bonuses and incentives here for signing up for ass whoopings 

34 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Lol no they wouldn’t. Small roster Cocoa would be overwhelmed by that 125 man team. 

Cocoa hasn’t done anything to think they can be worth a damn West of Pensacola or North of Jacksonville 

Roster size doesn't matter when you're way more talented than the team you're playing. 

Permian would get beaten soundly this year.  This isn't 2011 Skyline,  Central,  Colerain, West Monroe e.t.c

19 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Roster size doesn't matter when you're way more talented than the team you're playing. 

Permian would get beaten soundly this year.  This isn't 2011 Skyline,  Central,  Colerain, West Monroe e.t.c

Hoover’s first team isn’t that good.  And Cocoa let their second and third team almost put a running clock on them. 

Cocoa just isn’t that good no matter who they schedule. A for effort. F for results 

29 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

It depends on the roster size difference

I follow Hawai'i football and this happens often. Like last week, for the lead in D2, the only D2 team with multiple D1 offer guys with a tiny roster lost by a few TDs to a much deeper team who has 1 D1 college player in maybe the last 25 years. 

1 hour ago, bigrobstercraws said:

It depends on the roster size difference

I follow Hawai'i football and this happens often. Like last week, for the lead in D2, the only D2 team with multiple D1 offer guys with a tiny roster lost by a few TDs to a much deeper team who has 1 D1 college player in maybe the last 25 years. 

Yes,  but that team is probably better in 4 or 5 positions then outmanned.  Not the case with Cocoa.  Cocoa would probably have the top 16-18 players from the 44.

33 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Hoover would beat Permian by 20+ and this is one of Hoover's worst teams 

Agreed. This years permian would lose by 30 to last years permian. Which was average at best lol. Wouldnt be surprised if that cali teams puts up a great fight today. Permian might not even make the playoffs this year. The best teams in west texas currently are midland lee, Amarillo tascosa , el paso franklin and el paso americas. Some lubbock schools are up there too but they play in 5a like Lubbock cooper

In the late ‘80’s I drove several hundred miles to see MoJo play.  Game was against their rival, Midland Lee when Permian was TX best.  20,000 seat stadium was 90% full.  I sat next to a woman in a cowboy hat.  We talked the whole game and at the end of the night she gave me a hug and said “maybe Yankees ain’t so bad.”  She’d never met a Yankee before.  Me.

Mojo won.  Incredible experience that is among my best Friday nights anywhere.

• Like 1