GHSA Class changes

ATLien12x

4 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Dacula was in the highest class before 7A was created and did reasonably and could play with the big boys some years. They seem to have a really solid team every 4 years or so.

It seems Valdosta is safe once again. I wish they would man up and join 7A Region 1 again. It would help our scheduling and allow for teams to make the playoffs like every other region in the state. They are less than 100 kids less than Tift and just kicked their ass and also beat Colquitt. There is no reason for them to not play up in 7A.

Valdosta stays put in 6a due to Lowndes taking damn near all kids in the county. Keep in  mind that Valdosta High School is primarily inner city students. 

32 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Valdosta stays put in 6a due to Lowndes taking damn near all kids in the county. Keep in  mind that Valdosta High School is primarily inner city students. 

They have more students than both Roswell and Dacula who are 7A. Being "inner city" means nothing in terms of classification. If anything, it means they have a large number of students who match the demographic of the majority of football players.

Valdosta does not want to play up because they feel they have a much better chance at winning state in 6A.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Richmond Hill is 7A now. They’ll surely be joining Region 1. Lots of traveling  

Bout F**king time... 

They've been dodging region 1 since I was a Sophomore in HS... They where susposed to be 6A but they used the isolation rule... Which is BS "We think we're just to far out" bastards... Camden is literally at the edge of the freaking state but they didn't use it...for football or basketball anyway...

They did for baseball. And rightfully so.... Freaking 2/3 3+ hour trips from Camden to Tift and Colquitt a week is BS.... 

4.23 The membership of the Association shall be divided into seven (7) classifications as follows:
 (a) Schools will be placed in classifications (according to their Reclassification Student Count) as follows:

(1) Class 7A: Largest 10% (Approximately) of schools. Note:Schools may opt to play up into 7A, but no school may move down.

(2) Class A Public/Private: Smallest 20% (approximately) of schools. Note: Non-football playing schools
will NOT be counted when calculating the schools being placed in Class A. They will be placed in
appropriate regions later.

(3) The remaining schools (after 7A and Class A are populated) will be divided into five (5) approximately
equal classifications (2A through 6A) with 19-21% in each class at the discretion of the Reclassification
Committee.

(4) When schools opt to move up in classification, a corresponding number of schools in the higher
classification will be given the option by the Reclassification Committee to move down to offset the schools
leaving a class. Exceptions: No school can move down from 7A; no school may move down into Class

The underscored section could well apply to North Forsyth, as they may have elected to play up for some unknown reason.. 

Now, I'm no mathematician, but, it appears that there are a few schools that fall into the top 10%(approximately) that are playing in 6A as I look at the charts that @ATLien12x posted to begin this thread. 

Are there any mathematicians on this site? If so, where are they (approximately)? 

10 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Richmond Hill is 7A now. They’ll surely be joining Region 1. Lots of traveling  

Well...we ain't been to Savannah to play a football game in a while.  I think the last time might have been under Lord Jim Hughes.   Of course...my memory fails me from time to time.

I can see RH protesting the hell outa being placed in Region 1.

Rufus>>

1 hour ago, ATLien12x said:

Are they still using the 10% rule? I figured they may have moved away from that. 

Considering the charts you posted with the new region alignments, I think that would be the conclusion easist to arrive at, unless my issue is in not being a mathematician...

I just downloaded the 2019/2020 bylaws revised version to include the multiplier.

Chapter 4 section23 subsection (a) line (1) (approximately)  copy and pasted directly from the pdf I downloaded is as follows(approximately).

4.23 The membership of the Association shall be divided into seven (7) classifications as follows:
 (a) Schools will be placed in classifications (according to their Reclassification Student Count) as follows:
 (1) Class 7A: Largest 10% (approximately) of schools. Note: Schools may opt to play up into 7A, but
 no school may move down.
 (2) Class A Public/Private: Smallest 20% (approximately) of schools. Note: Non-football playing
 schools will NOT be counted when calculating the schools being placed in Class A. They will be
 placed in appropriate regions later.
 (3) The remaining schools (after 7A and Class A are populated) will be divided into five (5) approxi
 mately equal classifications (2A through 6A) with 19-21% in each class at the discretion of the
 Reclassification Committee.
 (4) When schools opt to move up in classification, only the exact number of schools at the bottom of
the next class will be given the option to come down. If any of those schools opt not to come down,
the GHSA office will not look further to larger schools in that class. Exceptions: No school can
move down from 7A; no school may move down into Class A; and there will be no corresponding
movement down should a school opt to play up more than one class above its original classification.
 (5) The Reclassification Committee will assign Class A Public schools into eight (8) regions and Class
 A Private schools into eight (8) regions.
 (b) Out-Of-Zone Multiplier: Every student attending a school from outside that school’s district-assigned
attendance zone shall be counted as two (2.0) students when it comes to calculating that school’s
Reclassification Student Count. And that school shall be placed in the classification where the increased
count falls, except that no school shall be moved up into Class 7A, or out of Class A, and no school shall
have to move up more than two (2) classes, by this rule. (Note: Schools compelled to play at a higher
classification because of this stipulation may petition the Executive Director for stadium/arena seating

If a school is in the top 10% (approximately) having applied the multiplier, they must be in 7A and can not elect to play down. 

Considering that I see a few schools in 6A with larger populations (approximately) with the multiplier applied, than a few of those in 7A, I suppose we must deduce that a number of schools in 7A have opted to play up with a lesser population number after the multiplier has been applied (approximately). 

xD

14 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

They have more students than both Roswell and Dacula who are 7A. Being "inner city" means nothing in terms of classification. If anything, it means they have a large number of students who match the demographic of the majority of football players.

Valdosta does not want to play up because they feel they have a much better chance at winning state in 6A.

Being inner city means you're only pulling from a certain region of the city. Lowndes can pull from damn near the whole county! And you mention Roswell and Dacula having less students than Valdosta.... you mean to tell me that they accept GHSA's reclassification without any resistance while Valdosta is pretty much given an option to either stay put or go up? Because you say they don't wanna go up because they feel they have a better chance to win 6A, so with that being said, you pretty much imply that they have an option. 

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Being inner city means you're only pulling from a certain region of the city. Lowndes can pull from damn near the whole county! And you mention Roswell and Dacula having less students than Valdosta.... you mean to tell me that they accept GHSA's reclassification without any resistance while Valdosta is pretty much given an option to either stay put or go up? Because you say they don't wanna go up because they feel they have a better chance to win 6A, so with that being said, you pretty much imply that they have an option. 

You're damn right they have the option to play up. Every school has that option.

42 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You're damn right they have the option to play up. Every school has that option.

The real question is, why are they in 6A when they have a greater student population than some teams that are being classified into 7A. 

The by-laws state no school meeting the 7A criteria will be allowed to play down, however they do have the option to play up. 

If Valdosta has a greater population than Roswell, Dunwoody, North Forsyth or Shiloh, why is Valdosta being left in 6A. 

It makes no sense as it pertains to the current rules package. 

6 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

The days of Valdosta playing up in the top classification are obviously over.  I meant it when I said I couldn't believe they didn't have the numbers for AAAAAAA.   Something just doesn't sound right.

Of course...it's also hard to believe that Colquitt is reporting almost 2,500 students.

Rufus>>

Dacula won their appeal, they’ll stay 6A. Nice region they’re paired up with Buford, Lanier, and Denmark .Across all sports that’s a good region 

GAC won their appeal, they’ll also stay 3A 

Region 8-AAAAAAA consists of  — Collins Hill, Duluth, Mill Creek, Mountain View, North Gwinnett and Peachtree Ridge.

In 7-AAAAAAA, the schools are Archer, Berkmar, Discovery, Dunwoody, Meadowcreek and Norcross.

Brookwood, Grayson, Parkview, Shiloh and South Gwinnett join one non-Gwinnett school, Newton, in 4-AAAAAAA.

Here's the new 7A regions according to the article:

Region 1

Camden Co.

Colquitt Co.

Lowndes

Tift Co.

Region 2

Campbell

East Coweta

McEachern

Newnan

Pebblebrook