GA Quarterfinal Games To Watch

ECHS05

This weekend, the Quarterfinal round of GAs HSFB playoffs, will be one of the better weekends we've seen in a while as far as the quantity of quality matchups.. Many great games in all classes, and what are the De facto State Championship games in 3A & 6A between the #1 and #2 teams in each class.. Heres a look at the best games this weekend...

7A: really all of the 7A games are good.

(11-1) North Gwinnett @ (12-0) McEachern: definitely the best game in Georgia this weekend and IMO the 2nd best game in the country this weekend behind only MD & SJB. Maybe Katy vs North Shore rivals it but thats it.  Both teams have 2 of the best HCs in the state, and some of the best talent in the state. McEachern is led by Franklin Stephens, who is in his 1st year at McEachern, but has won multiple State Titles at other schools. Although known for the WingT, hes transitioned to the spread recently with great results. I think hes the one thatll get McEachern over the hump soon. McEachern comes into this game 12-0....Ever since North Gwinnetts 1st game of the season vs Colquitt, theyve looked like a completely different team. They won state as recently as 2017, and have a proven, winning HC themselves. Luckily for us... This game will be streamed on GPB at http://www.gpb.org/sports/football/match/2019/11/29/class-aaaaaaa-quarterfinals-game-04

(11-1) Grayson @ (12-0) Lowndes: Graysons new HC Adam Carter is panning out to be a great hire so far. They look much improved over the past 2 seasons under Hunnicutt. If theyd had Adam Carter in 2017 & 2018 Id imagine they wouldve won state both years. Their only loss is to Colquitt & they hold wins over 7A Quarterfinalists Marietta & Archer. BUT... Lowndes has looked invincible so far this season... The way theyve dominated teams speaks for itself. I cant see them losing this game.

(10-2) Mill Creek @ (10-2) Marietta: Mill Creek looks like one of the most improved teams in GA from the 1st few games of the season. They come in at 10-2 with losses to the #1 team in 6A, Dacula, at the beginning of the year... And they ran into a buzzsaw in North Gwinnett for their other loss. Marietta got a lot of preseason hype, and for the most part has lived up to it. They look much improved over the last few years with a senior laden team this year. Ill take Marietta because they are much more experienced & talented. I can see Marietta in the State Title game vs. Lowndes, North Gwinnett, or McEachern.

(9-3) Archer @ (11-1) Parkview:  Both teams are playing their best football of the year right now. Archers losses are to Buford in OT 26-23 early in the season, & to Grayson in 34-31. I dont really count their 10-7 loss to Mill Creek as that game was called in the 2nd Quarter. Parkviews only loss this year was to Lowndes. They pretty much manhandled a good Colquitt team 40-21 last week. They are a talented, experienced team and have one of the best junior RBs in the country.... Give me Parkview in this one to set up a semifinal game with Marietta.

6A: 

(12-0) Dacula @ (11-1) Lee Co.: IMO this is the de facto State Championship. I guess Valdosta could have a say in that but this is #1 vs #2 at the moment. I dont see anyone other than those 3 winning State in 6A. Lee Cos only loss is to 3A Peach Co... But Peach is a top 2 team in 3A themselves. This is one of Daculas best seasons in a long, long time and Id really like to see them win... But I think Lee takes this one in a game that comes down to the last second.

5A:

(11-1) Buford @ (12-0) Carrollton: this very well could be the de facto state title in 5A. Although Jones Co. & Warner Robins look good too. Buford has a new HC and he appears to have them back on track. Carrollton is led by Colquitts former OC from their 2014-2015 state title run... Sean Calhoun. Carrolltons talented & well coached... Thisll be an excellent game.

4A:

(12-0) Woodward Academy @ (12-0) Cartersville

(11-1) Oconee Co. @ (11-1) Marist

3A: 

(11-1) Peach Co. @ (10-2) Cedar Grove: this is probably one of the best smaller school games youll ever see. Both teams are very good... Ive done too much talking already but this game is worth the price of admission. This is definitely #1 vs #2 in 3A. 

1A Private:

(10-1) ELCA @ (11-0) Athens Academy: A rematch of the last 2 State Championship games. ELCA won both but thisll be AAs best chance of evening that score...

• Thanks 1

In my opine, the way to beat Marietta is to get to the QB.  We played them two years in a row and I watched a couple of other games on TV or the computer.  If you can get him on the ground with a few sacks or hits, he doesn't seem to handle that well and seems to get rattled.  Just flushing him out of the pocket won't do it as he reacts and scrambles well.  Both games when we were getting to him his passing accuracy went to pot relatively speaking.  Just tackling him on a run doesn't bother him but if you can hurry his pass and knock him down or sack him bothers him.  I've seen QBs that don't seem to be bothered by pressure like that but he is one that is.  Again, this is based on watching him in two tough games.

He is a good QB  that can and will burn you if given the time.

• Thanks 1

Grayson at Lowndes
When, where: 8 p.m. Friday, Martin Stadium, Valdosta
Records, rankings: Grayson is 11-1, the No. 1 seed from Region 8-AAAAAAA and No. 4; Lowndes is 12-0, the No. 1 seed from 1-AAAAAAA and No. 1.
Last meeting: Lowndes won 20-15 in the 2018 Class AAAAAAA quarterfinals.
Things to know: Lowndes was an 11-point underdog in the 2018 game but forced three turnovers, held Grayson to 4-of-16 passing and won a game in which neither team had more than 200 yards of total offense. This time, Lowndes is favored and playing at home. Lowndes is the most run-oriented team remaining in AAAAAAA, but sophomore QB Jacurri Brown was 9-of-11 passing for 196 yards and a touchdown in a 44-14 victory over Norcross last week. He's rushed for 1,150 yards. Justin Lee was the leading rusher in the Norcross game with 140 yards. Lowndes hasn't allowed more than two touchdowns to a Georgia opponent this season. Grayson QB C.J. Dixon was 16-of-21 passing for 251 yards in a 42-21 victory over East Coweta last week. East Coweta was within 21-14 until his two TD passes in the fourth quarter. An Illinois commit, Dixon has thrown for 2,137 yards on the season. Lafayette Gurvin rushed for 119 yards, giving him 1,210 on the season. Grayson and Lowndes have two common opponents. Both beat East Coweta, but Lowndes beat Colquitt County 28-17 while Grayson lost to Colquitt 31-7.
Maxwell Ratings' projection: Lowndes by 20
Winner plays: North Gwinnett/McEachern winner
  • Thanks 1

North Gwinnett at McEachern
When, where: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Walter H. Cantrell Stadium, Powder Springs
Records, rankings: North Gwinnett is 11-1, the No. 1 seed from Region 6-AAAAAAA and No. 5; McEachern is 12-0, the No. 1 seed from 3-AAAAAAA and No. 2.
Last meeting: North Gwinnett won 38-17 in the 2017 Class AAAAAAA semifinals.
Things to know: North Gwinnett has won 11 straight games after an opening 17-6 loss to Colquitt County. And since a 26-23 victory over Armwood, which just made Florida's Class 7A semifinals, the Bulldogs have won by 15 points or better in every game. In the 60-10 win over Walton last week, North Gwinnett had 329 yards of total offense in the first half and led 46-3. J.R. Martin has passed for 1,963 yards. Devin Crosby has rushed for 1,226. McEachern, under first-year coach Franklin Stephens, is 12-0 for the first time since 1999. RB Jordon Simmons (committed to Michigan State) has rushed for 157 and 111 yards in two playoff games and 872 yards on the season. He also scored on a 52-yard run in a 42-14 victory over North Forsyth last week. Carlos Del Rio-Wilson (committed to Florida) has thrown for 1,694 yards. Javon Baker (committed to Alabama) has 56 receptions for 610 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Maxwell Ratings' projection: McEachern by 2
Winner plays: Grayson/Lowndes winner
  • Thanks 1

Dacula at Lee County
When, where: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Trojan Field, Leesburg
Records, rankings: Dacula is 12-0, the No. 1 seed from Region 8-AAAAAA and No. 1; Lee County is 11-1, the No. 1 seed from 1-AAAAAA and No. 3.
Last meeting: This is the teams' first meeting.
Things to know: This game matches the top-ranked team (Dacula) against the two-time defending AAAAAA champion. Dacula is seeking its second consecutive trip to the semifinals and fifth in school history. Dacula led Glynn Academy 7-6 midway through the second quarter last week but scored 28 unanswered points and won 42-20. Trenton Jones (1,153 yards rushing, 12 TDs), Kaleb Edwards (813-11) and Kyle Efford (632-15) lead a running game that averages 257.2 yards per game. Jarrett Jenkins has passed for 2,124 yards and 18 TDs. Konata Mumpfield (593 receiving yards) scored two touchdowns last week. Lee County has won 12 consecutive playoff games, the past seven of which have been decided by at least 14 points each. Kyle Toole passed for 219 yards and four touchdowns in the Trojans' 49-7 victory over Creekside last week, and six offensive players scored touchdowns. Chauncey Magwood had 64 yards and a touchdown receiving and intercepted a pass on defense. Lee County ranks No. 4 in AAAAAA scoring offense (39.92) and Dacula is No. 5 (39.67). Dacula is No. 4 in scoring defense (13.17) and Lee is No. 5 (13.25).
Maxwell Ratings' projection: Lee County by 3
Winner plays: Houston County/Harrison winner
  • Thanks 1

Buford at Carrollton
When, where: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Grisham Stadium, Carrollton
Records, rankings: Buford is 11-1, the No. 2 seed from Region 8-AAAAA and No. 5; Carrollton is 12-0, the No. 1 seed from 7-AAAAA and No. 1.
Last meeting: Buford won 34-27 in the 2016 Class AAAAA quarterfinals.
Things to know: Buford is in the quarterfinals for the 20th straight season, a state record. Buford had won 11 straight quarterfinal games until beaten by eventual champion Bainbridge last year. Buford won at Region 2 champion Ware County 35-6 last week after jumping to a 24-0 halftime lead. Gabe Ervin rushed for 159 yards, giving him 1,095 on the season, though he left the game late with an ankle injury. Buford gets two-thirds of its offense rushing and allows only 86.3 yards rushing per game. Carrollton is in the quarters for the fourth straight time but hasn't gone further since its 2013 Class AAAA runner-up team. This is a well-balanced team on both sides of the ball. Carrollton held Veterans to 85 yards rushing and 7-of-20 passing in a 21-10 victory last week. Malachi Moten and Derrick Witherspoon had two tackles for losses each, although the marquee names on the defense are linebackers Kevin Swint (committed to Clemson) and Chaz Chambliss (junior 4-star recruit). On offense, Brandon Marenco (740 yards rushing) and Mecose Todd (541) each have 100-yard rushing games in the playoffs. QB Myles Morris has thrown for 1,908 yards.
Maxwell Ratings' projection: Buford by 1
Winner plays: Griffin/Jones County winner
  • Thanks 1

Peach County at Cedar Grove
When, where: 7:30 p.m. Friday, William Buck Godfrey Stadium, Decatur
Records, rankings: Peach County is 11-1, the No. 1 seed from Region 4-AAA and No. 1; Cedar Grove is 10-2, the No. 1 seed from 5-AAA and No. 2.
Last meeting: Cedar Grove won 14-13 in the 2018 Class AAA championship game.
Things to know: Cedar Grove beat Peach County last season on a 22-yard touchdown pass from Kendall Boney to Jadon Haselwood on a fourth-down play with four seconds left. It marked the second state championship in three seasons for Cedar Grove and second straight heartbreaker in the state finals for Peach. Haselwood has gone to Oklahoma and coach Jimmy Smith to Georgia State, but Cedar Grove is built similarly with a strong running game and defense. Chavon Wright rushed for 164 yards and two touchdowns in a 49-13 victory over Benedictine last week. Wright has rushed for 1,486 yards for the year. DE Alvin Williams (committed to Colorado) and LB Isaiah Ratcliff (3-star recruit) lead the defense. Peach beat Calhoun 35-0 last week as Noah Whittington rushed for 173 yards and three touchdowns after going for 264 yards in the first round against Brantley County. Jaydon Gibson was 16-of-18 passing for 176 yards. Led by Clemson-committed LB Sergio Allen, Peach allowed Calhoun 50 yards of total offense.
Maxwell Ratings' projection: Peach County by 1
Winner plays: Hart County/Greater Atlanta Christian winner

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Considering what parkview did to colquitt, you don't think they'd pose a threat to marietta in the semifinals? 

I do. Hell I think Mill Creek poses a threat... Theyve been playing better since their trashing at the hands of North Gwinnett. 

But I still expect Marietta to make it to the Title game. Parkview is on that Grayson tier IMO. Which is one below Marietta/North Gwinnett/McEachern and 2 below Lowndes. 

Or maybe Parkview is better than I think... The playoffs are really good this year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

5A:

(11-1) Buford @ (12-0) Carrollton: this very well could be the de facto state title in 5A. Although Jones Co. & Warner Robins look good too. Buford has a new HC and he appears to have them back on track. Carrollton is led by Colquitts' former OC from their 2014-2015 state title run... Sean Calhoun. Carrollton is talented & well coached... This will be an excellent game.

Coach Justin Rogers was hired away from Jones County or left for Colquitt.

BGW

43 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I do. Hell I think Mill Creek poses a threat... They've been playing better since their trashing at the hands of North Gwinnett. 

But I still expect Marietta to make it to the Title game. Parkview is on that Grayson tier IMO. Which is one below Marietta/North Gwinnett/McEachern and 2 below Lowndes. 

Or maybe Parkview is better than I think... The playoffs are really good this year.

Mill Creek poses NO threat, not even close.

BGW

9 hours ago, ATLien12x said:
Dacula at Lee County
When, where: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Trojan Field, Leesburg
Records, rankings: Dacula is 12-0, the No. 1 seed from Region 8-AAAAAA and No. 1; Lee County is 11-1, the No. 1 seed from 1-AAAAAA and No. 3.
Last meeting: This is the teams' first meeting.
Things to know: This game matches the top-ranked team (Dacula) against the two-time defending AAAAAA champion. Dacula is seeking its second consecutive trip to the semifinals and fifth in school history. Dacula led Glynn Academy 7-6 midway through the second quarter last week but scored 28 unanswered points and won 42-20. Trenton Jones (1,153 yards rushing, 12 TDs), Kaleb Edwards (813-11) and Kyle Efford (632-15) lead a running game that averages 257.2 yards per game. Jarrett Jenkins has passed for 2,124 yards and 18 TDs. Konata Mumpfield (593 receiving yards) scored two touchdowns last week. Lee County has won 12 consecutive playoff games, the past seven of which have been decided by at least 14 points each. Kyle Toole passed for 219 yards and four touchdowns in the Trojans' 49-7 victory over Creekside last week, and six offensive players scored touchdowns. Chauncey Magwood had 64 yards and a touchdown receiving and intercepted a pass on defense. Lee County ranks No. 4 in AAAAAA scoring offense (39.92) and Dacula is No. 5 (39.67). Dacula is No. 4 in scoring defense (13.17) and Lee is No. 5 (13.25).
Maxwell Ratings' projection: Lee County by 3
Winner plays: Houston County/Harrison winner

I'm gonna venture out on that flimsy limb and say Dacula takes this one.

BGW

9 hours ago, ATLien12x said:
Grayson at Lowndes
When, where: 8 p.m. Friday, Martin Stadium, Valdosta
Records, rankings: Grayson is 11-1, the No. 1 seed from Region 8-AAAAAAA and No. 4; Lowndes is 12-0, the No. 1 seed from 1-AAAAAAA and No. 1.
Last meeting: Lowndes won 20-15 in the 2018 Class AAAAAAA quarterfinals.
Things to know: Lowndes was an 11-point underdog in the 2018 game but forced three turnovers, held Grayson to 4-of-16 passing and won a game in which neither team had more than 200 yards of total offense. This time, Lowndes is favored and playing at home. Lowndes is the most run-oriented team remaining in AAAAAAA, but sophomore QB Jacurri Brown was 9-of-11 passing for 196 yards and a touchdown in a 44-14 victory over Norcross last week. He's rushed for 1,150 yards. Justin Lee was the leading rusher in the Norcross game with 140 yards. Lowndes hasn't allowed more than two touchdowns to a Georgia opponent this season. Grayson QB C.J. Dixon was 16-of-21 passing for 251 yards in a 42-21 victory over East Coweta last week. East Coweta was within 21-14 until his two TD passes in the fourth quarter. An Illinois commit, Dixon has thrown for 2,137 yards on the season. Lafayette Gurvin rushed for 119 yards, giving him 1,210 on the season. Grayson and Lowndes have two common opponents. Both beat East Coweta, but Lowndes beat Colquitt County 28-17 while Grayson lost to Colquitt 31-7.
Maxwell Ratings' projection: Lowndes by 20
Winner plays: North Gwinnett/McEachern winner

Lowndes too strong this year to even think Grayson has a chance even with last years talent and this years coach.

Helicopter parents and Daddyball tainted the program pretty bad last year.

BGW

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Lowndes too strong this year to even think Grayson has a chance even with last years talent and this years coach.

Helicopter parents and Daddyball tainted the program pretty bad last year.

BGW

It must be because Hunnicutt allowed it because it isnt happening this year. Or if it is, it isnt affecting their play.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

This sucks so bad, usually we had colquit still playing which gave me a reason to watch praying that they lose in state championship, but now there out so early I don’t know 🤷🏿‍♂️ what to do with myself 

is Milton still alive maybe I can root for them or blessed trinity 

Milton is out. Root for Buford.

BGW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1