St John Bosco and Mater Dei both have 11 juniors with D-1 offers

BobbySanchez

3 hours ago, steeler01 said:

They beat Saint Paul 23-20 and Alemany 19-17 in the semis. Far from easy for them. 

The St. Paul game was a rivalry game played at The Pit, where St. Paul had only lost 3-4 times in the previous 15 years, and were coming off a 14-0 D1 Championship.  So that win by Servite was a monster accomplishment

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Let's be clear

are you still asserting that

1) the team that had a running clock on the undefeated Pac5 champs wasn't elite

2). The team that lost to Folsom by 28 points was?

that DLS team started a 6-year run of top 7 finishes -- a stratosphere that Serra has realistically never approached, maybe barely if it was just CA teams

You know your stuff but tend to way overweight *talent and disregard "TEAM" IMHO

Who cares what they did to Servite. DLS wasn't beating STA that year, who was elite.  That's what an elite team looks like.

I never said Serra was elite that year.  I thought they were the best team in Cali though. The Folsom score is deceiving,  that game was one score till Serra had a slew of 4th quarter turnovers due to the weather(two unforced fumbles)

You need to have elite talent to be elite.  Something you downplay, till DLS faces the STA,  and SJB of high school football

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

Who cares what they did to Servite. DLS wasn't beating STA that year, who was elite.  That's what an elite team looks like.

I never said Serra was elite that year.  I thought they were the best team in Cali though.

You need to have elite talent to be elite.  Something you downplay, till DLS faces the STA,  and SJB of high school football

Serra wasn't within 5 TDs of DLS that year, despite having 4 future NFL WRs

your top teams were Serra, MV, and Trinity and you felt Servite better than DLS 

you also said Teron Ward was plug-n-play.

like I said -- you know your stuff -- maybe as well as anyone on here, but fall into the camp that overweights "talent" (emphasis on quotation marks) 

13 minutes ago, Pops said:

Serra wasn't within 5 TDs of DLS that year, despite having 4 future NFL WRs

your top teams were Serra, MV, and Trinity and you felt Servite better than DLS 

you also said Teron Ward was plug-n-play.

like I said -- you know your stuff -- maybe as well as anyone on here, but fall into the camp that overweights "talent" (emphasis on quotation marks) 

5 TD's because of the Servite game ........ Come on 

My top team was Serra. Mission Viejo I said would match up better vs Centennial, than Serra.  Nation wide my top team was STA. That never changed

You mean the 2010 HB Lucas Dunne.......

I fall into a camp that believes you need elite talent to be elite. Lucas Dunne is a good HS HB, but he can't be your biggest offensive weapon if you plan on being elite

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The St. Paul game was a rivalry game played at The Pit, where St. Paul had only lost 3-4 times in the previous 15 years, and were coming off a 14-0 D1 Championship.  So that win by Servite was a monster accomplishment

They didn't run roughshod over everyone like what was asserted though.

2013 Bosco is the only team that comes to my mind that did that to their entire schedule

16 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

5 TD's because of the Servite game ........ Come on 

My top team was Serra. Mission Viejo I said would match up better vs Centennial, than Serra.  Nation wide my top team was STA. That never changed

You mean the 2010 HB Lucas Dunne.......

I fall into a camp that believes you need elite talent to be elite. Lucas Dunne is a good HS HB, but he can't be your biggest offensive weapon if you plan on being elite

5 TDs because every DLS team for the last 30 years would beat Serra by that much -- they could have beaten Pac5 champs by 80 and beat BG by 2TDs kneeling inside their 5 at the end -- saying they'd beat Serra by 5 TDs is a smaller stretch than you saying STA would beat them imho

yes, discussion was mostly about Lucas Dunne, but you included the prior years RB as another example of plug-n-play system guys -- btw, my opinion is that Lucas Dunne was an elite hs RB, even though he didn't have the measurables to interest big-time colleges, which is what a lot of people thought about Ward the year before when he didn't have an offer on LOI day -- Ward grey-shirted to OSU and is now on Falcons, Dunne chose education and went to cal and became an all-American rugby player.  There are lots of guys (and DLS gets more than their share of these) that are better hsfb players than college recruits -- agreed?

i forgot about CC

15 hours ago, The Stache said:

You are correct.  The 1982 Servite team won the rest of their games and the Pac 5 Championship. Easily.  That Servite team is arguabley Servites best team ever and is in the discussion as one of the top So Cal squads of the 1980's. 

USA Today's final top 25 for 1982 which was their first year:
2003-preps.gif
black.gif
clickability-rightslink.gif  
black.gif
06/20/2006 - Updated 02:57 PM ET

clear.gif

clear.gif

Year-by-year final football rankings

1. Cincinnati Moeller (13-0)
2. Valdosta (Ga.) (15-0)
3. Pensacola (Fla.) Woodham (13-0)
4. Anaheim (Calif.) Servite (11-1)
5. Enterprise (Ala.) (13-0-1)
6. Odessa (Texas) Permian (12-1)
7. Massillon (Ohio) Washington (12-1)
8. Newburgh (Ind.) Castle (14-0)
9. Omaha (Neb.) Westside (12-0)
10. Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic (11-0)
11. Wexford (Pa.) North Allegheny (11-1)
12. Port Arthur (Texas) Jefferson (10-1)
13. Burbank (Ill.) Reavis (12-1)
14. Athens (Ga.) Clarke Central (12-1)
15. Beaumont (Texas) West Brook (11-4-1)
16. Monongahela (Pa.) Ringgold (12-1)
17. Danville (Va.) George Washington (14-0)
18. Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek (14-0)
19. Joliet (Ill.) Catholic (10-1)
20. Los Angeles Carson (11-1)
21. Fort Thomas (Ky.) Highlands (15-0)
22. Farmington (Mich.) Harrison (12-0)
23. Natick (Mass.) (11-0)
24. Jacksonville (N.C.) (14-0)
25. Spokane (Wash.) Gonzaga Prep (11-2)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 954gator said:

I'd love to look at that Moeller football archive site I heard someone mention.   If someone has the link please post it!   

https://books.google.com/books/about/Moeller_High_School_Gridiron_Guide_1981.html?id=5BjDXwAACAAJ may bring it up.  Listed as a 56 page book from 1981 but the one I am familiar with included statistics into the 80's and '90's.  This is probably an earlier version of it but it will include the Faust years.  Assuming it is the same it will have details of literally every game that Moeller played under Faust along with every scholarship received, state and national honors, etc.  Incredible detail.  Google's search engine brought up several links but they all led to the '81 book.  At one time the Moeller Gridiron Guide was available online but that may have been ten or more years ago when I last saw it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

https://books.google.com/books/about/Moeller_High_School_Gridiron_Guide_1981.html?id=5BjDXwAACAAJ may bring it up.  Listed as a 56 page book from 1981 but the one I am familiar with included statistics into the 80's and '90's.  This is probably an earlier version of it but it will include the Faust years.  Assuming it is the same it will have details of literally every game that Moeller played under Faust along with every scholarship received, state and national honors, etc.  Incredible detail.  Google's search engine brought up several links but they all led to the '81 book.  At one time the Moeller Gridiron Guide was available online but that may have been ten or more years ago when I last saw it.

Yeah I couldn't find it either.   Must not be up anymore too bad.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BigDrop said:
USA Today's final top 25 for 1982 which was their first year:
2003-preps.gif
black.gif
clickability-rightslink.gif  
black.gif
06/20/2006 - Updated 02:57 PM ET

clear.gif

clear.gif

Year-by-year final football rankings

1. Cincinnati Moeller (13-0)
2. Valdosta (Ga.) (15-0)
3. Pensacola (Fla.) Woodham (13-0)
4. Anaheim (Calif.) Servite (11-1)
5. Enterprise (Ala.) (13-0-1)
6. Odessa (Texas) Permian (12-1)
7. Massillon (Ohio) Washington (12-1)
8. Newburgh (Ind.) Castle (14-0)
9. Omaha (Neb.) Westside (12-0)
10. Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic (11-0)
11. Wexford (Pa.) North Allegheny (11-1)
12. Port Arthur (Texas) Jefferson (10-1)
13. Burbank (Ill.) Reavis (12-1)
14. Athens (Ga.) Clarke Central (12-1)
15. Beaumont (Texas) West Brook (11-4-1)
16. Monongahela (Pa.) Ringgold (12-1)
17. Danville (Va.) George Washington (14-0)
18. Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek (14-0)
19. Joliet (Ill.) Catholic (10-1)
20. Los Angeles Carson (11-1)
21. Fort Thomas (Ky.) Highlands (15-0)
22. Farmington (Mich.) Harrison (12-0)
23. Natick (Mass.) (11-0)
24. Jacksonville (N.C.) (14-0)
25. Spokane (Wash.) Gonzaga Prep (11-2)

Interesting

let me say no to #25 Gonzaga Prep

those cherry creek teams were beasts

color me skeptical on teams from Omaha and Massachusetts but maybe -- anyone recall with of them

had Plano already faded by 1982?

14 minutes ago, Pops said:

Interesting

let me say no to #25 Gonzaga Prep

those cherry creek teams were beasts

color me skeptical on teams from Omaha and Massachusetts but maybe -- anyone recall with of them

had Plano already faded by 1982?

Rankings back then were like throwing darts at a board.   I doubt Pensacola Woodman was that good, but I have no idea really.  

54 minutes ago, Pops said:

Congrats on equaling Clovis West, who accomplished the same around the same time 

STA was multiple tds better than bosco as well both times but we know how that turned out. 

Some teams/programs thrive in oos games .... some teams/programs don't. 

But im sure I don't need to tell you that. 

4 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

STA was multiple tds better than bosco as well both times but we know how that turned out. 

Some teams/programs thrive in oos games .... some teams/programs don't. 

But im sure I don't need to tell you that. 

the most important games DLS plays are in december

i understand you want to celebrate and glamorize August/ September because there's no post season to speak of in NJ and your season ends a month before the top teams in TX, FL, and CA

3 hours ago, Pops said:

5 TDs because every DLS team for the last 30 years would beat Serra by that much -- they could have beaten Pac5 champs by 80 and beat BG by 2TDs kneeling inside their 5 at the end -- saying they'd beat Serra by 5 TDs is a smaller stretch than you saying STA would beat them imhoo

Including the 2004 and 2005 team huh?

They were in a dog fight with BG in 2010. The score was 14-14 with 6 minutes to go.  Had the motion guy not gone forward on BG's td run (had no role in the outcome of the play) that game goes down to the wire.  DLS was not moving the ball very well in that game. You think they move the ball on STA, who had a much better front? 

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Including the 2004 and 2005 team huh?

They were in a dog fight with BG in 2010. The score was 14-14 with 6 minutes to go.  Had the motion guy not gone forward on BG's td run (had no role in the outcome of the play) that game goes down to the wire.  DLS was not moving the ball very well in that game. You think they move the ball on STA, who had a much better front? 

DLS was driving for go-ahead TD v STA with minutes left in 3rd also -- doesn't mean anything.  DLS would have beat BG by 21 had they exercised the same score in last minute mentality as sta did v DLS 

'04/'05 weren't good teams by the standard they were measured by (a team that hadn't lost in 12 years while beating socal's best repeatedly) -- that said, '04 was DLS's worst team of last 30 and came within 3 of national #2 and SoCal #1 with 1 D1 kid in the senior/ junior classes

2 hours ago, Pops said:

DLS was driving for go-ahead TD v STA with minutes left in 3rd also -- doesn't mean anything.  DLS would have beat BG by 21 had they exercised the same score in last minute mentality as sta did v DLS 

DLS's only score was on a WR pass in the second quarter.   We even spotted  you a TD ;) (really only a 4pt difference but still) 

image.jpg

And the 2010 STA squad>>>2011 trust me.  You're dealing with a NFL qb and two NFL wrs.   Whole other level.

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

DLS's only score was on a WR pass in the second quarter.   We even spotted  you a TD ;) (really only a 4pt difference but still) 

image.jpg

And the 2010 STA squad>>>2011 trust me.  You're dealing with a NFL qb and two NFL wrs.   Whole other level.

I was responding to a guy that was suggesting the DLS-BG game was close when it wasn't -- I was there

funny how you can say "trust me" on DLS-sta and I can say the same thing about BG and they can say the same thing about you

at the end of the day, though, when you add all that up, DLS is at the top of the mountain -- STA close and, honestly, I'd probably bet on them to be better next 5, 10 years because they will embrace recruiting like DLS never will and be part of a "national" elite group of sports academies or schools that might as well be

ive averred for years that some of you guys overrate "star" talent in hsfb, but when teams like IMG have a more pedigreed senior class than Alabama's freshman class, it gets a bit ridiculous to keep up with kids off the street

there are and will be more super teams -- when I started following national hsfb, people talked about STA '08, a couple of late streak DLS teams, and maybe an SLC team or someone as best team ever and I'm not sure there won't be several teams per year in that class going forward

image.jpg

Serra gardena had 4 WRs over 2 years that went in 1st 2 rounds of NFL draft, two were national POY candidates, and I don't think they were ever top 5 in CA -- I don't remember the QB, but pretty sure he was D1 (not near NFL tho)

image.jpg

I just want to applaud the effort that must have gone into finding the above video.  Sincerely appreciated.

image.jpg

Nice angle shot there.  FL homer refs!