Freezing temperatures at travel baseball tournament.

94Packer

I’ve got two kids playing in a USSSA travel baseball tournament tomorrow. The temperature is supposed to be a low tomorrow morning of 29 with a high of 55. I know that their composite bats are out of the question tomorrow. Should I let them swing their good aluminum alloy bats or Should I get a cheap throwaway bat

7 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

I’ve got two kids playing in a USSSA travel baseball tournament tomorrow. The temperature is supposed to be a low tomorrow morning of 29 with a high of 55. I know that their composite bats are out of the question tomorrow. Should I let them swing their good aluminum alloy bats or Should I get a cheap throwaway bat

That's balmy. 

We used wood because there was nothing else.

Seriously, the weather never dictated what bats were being used when I coached. They used what they had. And we play in cold-ass weather.

Good hitters can hit with whatever they use. The wealthiest kids don't always win.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

Travel ball and composite bats?  

Well you've already broken the bank to get him under a spotlight, so what's another Benjamin or two?

Let him swing what he's used to and comfortable with, that will probably have the most performance 'impact'....

If he toasts a bat, just buy another then....

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

That's balmy. 

We used wood because there was nothing else.

Seriously, the weather never dictated what bats were being used when I coached. They used what they had. And we play in cold-ass weather.

Good hitters can hit with whatever they use. The wealthiest kids don't always win.

@maxchoboianTrue enough. I checked and the tournament we are playing in wont allow wood bats unless its 14U and older so it will probably be aluminum tomorrow

5 hours ago, Troll said:

Travel ball and composite bats?  

Well you've already broken the bank to get him under a spotlight, so what's another Benjamin or two?

Let him swing what he's used to and comfortable with, that will probably have the most performance 'impact'....

If he toasts a bat, just buy another then....

Just my 2 cents...

@Troll you sound surprised at composite bats?  Composites are the standard in the normal curve for travel ball and the bats are A LOT hotter and have a lot more pop. Its a given, but some of it depends on the style of the batter. If they are a power hitter the end loaded big barrel composites are great. If they are a contact hitter the balanced bats work fine which is where the traditional 1 piece aluminum alloy's work really well. The composites can run $300 to $350 so using discretion in cold weather is a must. If it is to cold they will bust and it isn't pretty. In the tournaments we use USSSA bats because of the better performance. In rec ball we are limited to USA bats. The cost is like anything else. You do have to pay for the improved performance of the bat. Its kind of like an analogy I can make about Steak. You can buy a steak out of a freezer on the back of a guys truck for $2.00 or you can buy a high quality steak from the butcher for $20.00. They are both steaks, they will both fill your stomach. But there is a difference in the quality and you have to decide whats important to you. I don't have deep pockets to throw money away so I try to be careful with what I have. I want to provide my kids with the training and equipment to succeed, but I wont be frivolous with they money I work hard to earn, so we try to avoid toasting bats 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, concha said:

Been raining like hell here lately.  Nearly 18 inches in Atlanta since the new year.  The ground is super-saturated.

My son plays on his high school's varsity squad and they have a game tonight, but fortunately on turf.

Good luck to you and your boys.

Same here and good luck to yall too. I have one in 12U and 1 in 10U 

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

https://blog.justbats.com/can-i-use-my-bat-in-cold-weather

According to this blog... Marucci BBCOR is the best cold weather bat. 

You're in luck today. 100 dollars off the price. 

Screenshot_20200221-131105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7f55f14ae449ad3dd5739be52324d16.jpg

@HawgGoneItThat is a really nice bat! I actually have video of my 9yr old swinging with one in the cage at BP this past weekend. Their team has a little practice facility in the warehouses behind the BBQ Pitt. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 94Packer said:

@Troll you sound surprised at composite bats?  Composites are the standard in the normal curve for travel ball and the bats are A LOT hotter and have a lot more pop. Its a given, but some of it depends on the style of the batter. If they are a power hitter the end loaded big barrel composites are great. If they are a contact hitter the balanced bats work fine which is where the traditional 1 piece aluminum alloy's work really well. The composites can run $300 to $350 so using discretion in cold weather is a must. If it is to cold they will bust and it isn't pretty. In the tournaments we use USSSA bats because of the better performance. In rec ball we are limited to USA bats. The cost is like anything else. You do have to pay for the improved performance of the bat. Its kind of like an analogy I can make about Steak. You can buy a steak out of a freezer on the back of a guys truck for $2.00 or you can buy a high quality steak from the butcher for $20.00. They are both steaks, they will both fill your stomach. But there is a difference in the quality and you have to decide whats important to you. I don't have deep pockets to throw money away so I try to be careful with what I have. I want to provide my kids with the training and equipment to succeed, but I wont be frivolous with they money I work hard to earn, so we try to avoid toasting bats 

All good info...

and not a surprise for me.    I coached little league 😁   The obvious answer is aluminum alloy in cold but if it is over freezing it should not be that bad. it gets colder up here and yes composites don’t hold up very well (unless some of the newest bats are better)

was more making fun of the cost than you wanting to pay it. You sound like you have the right idea with it tho.  Ripping up a bat is only fun for the kids 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 94Packer said:

@HawgGoneItThat is a really nice bat! I actually have video of my 9yr old swinging with one in the cage at BP this past weekend. Their team has a little practice facility in the warehouses behind the BBQ Pitt. 

Kid hits dingers,

whose the Dad? Because he ain’t get that from you

• Haha 3

On 2/21/2020 at 9:30 AM, 94Packer said:

Soooo how was it

2 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Soooo how was it

It was freakin cold! Lost no bats in the process though. 10 yr olds team got out out in an elimination game of the 10U tournament but the 12 yr olds team won their tournament. They are stacked and it wasn’t even funny. It was a circus all day having 2 play on different fields... sometimes at the same time. My GF and I had to divide an conquer. We got there at 8:00 yesterday morning and left at 11:00 last night.I went home got a heating pad for my lower back and crashed 

• Like 3