Kung Fu and football

I AM IRONMAN

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think there are benefits with karate and other martial arts, from discipline and physical fitness. Self control, awareness and hand eye coordination as a few potential benefita.  

I don't know how practical the application would be though. 

I know a good understanding of the martial arts are important when you play Lee County.

Especially for the coaches.....

Rufus>>

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think there are benefits with karate and other martial arts, from discipline and physical fitness. Self control, awareness and hand eye coordination as a few potential benefita.  

I don't know how practical the application would be though. 

Throwing watermelons on a pickup truck all day is more beneficial than kung fu. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

Throwing watermelons on a pickup truck all day is more beneficial than kung fu. lol

Hay bales, watermelons, etc. A big issue with karate is it alone takes a good amount of time to learn successfully. With the amount of time investment and physical exertion already going into football, idk how you get time to invest into having both.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Hay bales, watermelons, etc. A big issue with karate is it alone takes a good amount of time to learn successfully. With the amount of time investment and physical exertion already going into football, idk how you get time to invest into having both.

I’ve seen a lot of HS athletes picking up MMA, judo, boxing lessons, it helps tremendously with footwork and reaction time

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Bruce Lee wouldn't last 10 minutes in the SEC. Lol

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Probably not, but, I do bet that his hand eye coordination would be highly sought after in receivers and coverage guys with the correct frame. 

LSU does yoga some in the off season..... they tried karate about 15 years ago as a stretching work out only......I don't think they do it any longer.

41 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any dumber here...

...always liked this song though.

@RedZone why don’t u just leave this thread , you came in being. A piece of shit then someone replied to you now you wanna talk about ya bout yoga and karate lol 😂   Red 🚩  ur something else

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@RedZone why don’t u just leave this thread , you came in being. A piece of shit then someone replied to you now you wanna talk about ya bout yoga and karate lol 😂   Red 🚩  ur something else

The point of the exercise for the mental midgets here (mainly you) is that there is NO angle that hasn't already been tried to improve the performance of a football player. Some legit, some very silly.

People buy into what they want to believe or can try to sell to others.

Swimming, especially swimming underwater..... is great for football players....etc.

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

The point of the exercise for the mental midgets here (mainly you) is that there is NO angle that hasn't already been tried to improve the performance of a football player. Some legit, some very silly.

Swimming, especially swimming underwater..... is great for football players....etc.

DF019507-A6A0-4F1B-BDB7-F02339EC9FE3.jpeg

4 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Thoughts on the ancient Chinese art of Kung Fu and its benefits to football such as foot work discipline etc.?

Gymnastics combined with agility drills will do a lot more for football and overall athleticism. (also a high level strecthing program) 

Boxing and wrestling will do a lot more in general - kung fu/karate is a waste compared to those but of course not a waste in general.  Anything someone does to better themsleves and gain discipline is respectable but kung fu/karate are typically sold at an asburdly high price to the unsuspecting public and will typically get you hurt in a fight because the fighting style is  not at all practical in an actual fight

2 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I’ve seen a lot of HS athletes picking up MMA, judo, boxing lessons, it helps tremendously with footwork and reaction time

Agreed - judo and boxing are great in general.  Wrestling can be interchangeable with judo as they are very similar as is Russian Sambo - however wrestling is free for a kid in HS so can't beat that.  

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Yea this exactly - I agree.  These other things have potential merit but as you say it's already known/been tried within the football community.  It's long been known that the combo of wrestling and/or track and a good strength training/strecthing/agility  program are good auxilary training for football.   Of course all of these things are free in HS which is great - most of the shit does nothing for any aspect is sold to the public at a ripoff price smh

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not to mention - how do you know when you've learned it successfully when none of the supposed gurus of it ever got in a no holds barred ring vs other arts to prove it's effectiveness.  They just fight each other satying within their own art and then say shit like "Well, our master could destroy everyone in the UFC but he can't go in it because he's "too dangerous" and then they proceed to pay him $250mper month

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrecoRoman said:

Not to mention - how do you know when you've learned it successfully when none of the supposed gurus of it ever got in a no holds barred ring vs other arts to prove it's effectiveness.  They just fight each other satying within their own art and then say shit like "Well, our master could destroy everyone in the UFC but he can't go in it because he's "too dangerous" and then they proceed to pay him $250mper month

Training in some of the styles beginning at a very young age sometimes  produces men with what seems like superhuman capabilities. Shaolin kung fu has different styles inside. Things such as "King Kong Kicks" where practitioners break things like trees and lumber with their legs. They display these feats of strength as advertisement of the value of the style. It does however take a lifetime of training to achieve the levels they are displaying. 

Not very practical on the application to football in other words.

• Like 1