BOMBSHELL: Mater Dei Hazing Scandal

The Stache

2 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Did the private security begin before or after the locker room incident?

Don’t know? My point is I can look up a thousand HS and find numerous things that have happened at any particular one.Kids do stupid shit

34 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Did the private security begin before or after the locker room incident?

BEFORE--security was in place at the time of the incident.

The former AD asked Rollo to watch the locker room himself as she was concerned about increased downtime and less supervision available than normal during COVID-19, and the former AD also noted an incident where a player or players broke a sink and mirror in the football bathroom connected to the locker room. Rollo allegedly (i.e., almost certainly) told the former AD, "I don't have time for that shit." As MD has resources and knows that it will be treated differently than any other school if it allows any incident to happen (as similar incidents at other schools rarely make the news), MD hired private security.

Notably, Bill Plaschke almost certainly committed actionable defamation in his latest article when he wrote that the former AD testified that she asked for security based on "reports of hazing." She specifically testified to no knowledge of alleged hazing before the incident in question.

20 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

A one-off fight isn’t a culture problem.

Multiple players giving the middle finger to the crowd with seemingly zero reprecussions is a culture problem. Sex act charades in the locker room is a culture problem. Spitting in opponents faces is a culture problem. Players getting arrested for stealing from the local community is a culture problem. Players transferring in for less than a year to play football only to transfer back to their original school is a culture problem. The transfer trend that Monarch alumni carry with them to the next level and beyond is a culture problem. The mere fact that a private, Catholic school in Orange County, California has to hire private security to monitor the boys locker room is, you guessed it, a culture problem. That’s just my opinion, though.

The way you view the incident doesn’t need to have anything to do with how much you “love” or “hate” Mater Dei, as the false dichotomy that Clarence Darrow presented us with suggests. There’s a third explanation, and it involves reality.

How did things get SO out of control at mater dei?

I've always read and heard they were a dirty and pompous school, but when did it all start?

Had to start somewhere.....

13 minutes ago, Ararar said:

What a bunch of bullshit😂

If these things happened year after year I would agree with you but they dont

Those things I described have, in fact, happened year after year. Not the transferring back thing, because that was such a bad look they had to put a stop to it. But everything else I mentioned, and lots I didn’t, were incidents involving different players from different years and different teams. That is a fact. So, I’m glad you agree with me now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I've always read and heard they were a dirty and pompous school, but when did it all start?

Two students from Archbishop Rummel High School were booked with drug distribution after one of them sold marijuana to a Rummel chemistry teacher, authorities said Friday. The teacher also was arrested.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Those things I described have, in fact, happened year after year. Not the transferring back thing, because that was such a bad look they had to put a stop to it. But everything else I mentioned, and lots I didn’t, were incidents involving different players from different years and different teams. That is a fact. So, I’m glad you agree with me now. 

Exactly my point.Isolated incidents.What’s your school so I can bring up isolated incidents that have happened there

15 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Don’t know? My point is I can look up a thousand HS and find numerous things that have happened at any particular one.Kids do stupid shit

Hundreds of thousands of games have been televised and streamed. Everyone has a camera and everything is a news story. If you could do it, you would. That victim mentality is too hard to shake, though.

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

MD has had a history of being more successful than the average high school in their area, athletically and academically, which is very commom with many private schools across the country. 

The relatively recent development of private schools getting an influx of parents wanting their kids to be a part of dominant programs, and the school's becoming more lax on their admissions requirements in order to facilitate the student atheletes they need to compete at the level they want to compete, has changed the culture in many of these schools. Everywhere in the country.

MD is in that boat, and has to decide if they are OK with going back to being much more than average, or if they are hellbound on being elite, elite.

• Like 2

Just now, maxchoboian said:

MD has had a history of being more successful than the average high school in their area, athletically and academically, which is very commom with many private schools across the country. 

The relatively recent development of private schools getting an influx of parents wanting their kids to be a part of dominant programs, and the school's becoming more lax on their admissions requirements in order to facilitate the student atheletes they need to compete at the level they want to compete, has changed the culture in many of these schools. Everywhere in the country.

MD is in that boat, and has to decide if they are OK with going back to being much more than average, or if they are hellbound on being elite, elite.

Common sense?!? Reality?!? Please stop with this madness!

2 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Two students from Archbishop Rummel High School were booked with drug distribution after one of them sold marijuana to a Rummel chemistry teacher, authorities said Friday. The teacher also was arrested.

Going back to 2012 must ease the pain of mater dei's current scandal and culture problems........bringing up Rummel in California Court is NOT going to do anything for mater dei, but you can try, junior..

NOTE: It does nothing at all on message forums either, but it does make kids look stupid.

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Going back to 2012 must ease the pain of mater dei's current scandal and culture problems........bringing up Rummel in California Court is NOT going to do anything for mater dei, but you can try, junior..

NOTE: It does nothing at all on message forums either, but it does make kids look stupid.

That was just a cursory search 

point being plank in your eye before splinter in someone else’s 

6 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I don't know........mater dei has a rich history in lawsuits, scandals and cover ups. I do know that. All this stuff cannot be bogus.

New lawsuit accuses a former Mater Dei coach of raping a student in the 1980s

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-20/mater-dei-sex-abuse-accusation-track-coach-football-field

Just now, Ararar said:

You whining isn’t an isolated incident 

still waiting for your school 

Me: Here’s a list of reasons that indicate a culture problem at Mater Dei…

Ararar: If those things happened year after year I’d agree with you.

Me: They have definitely occurred year after year. 

Ararar: That’s my point! They are isolated incidents!

Uhhhh… what?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I don't know........mater dei has a rich history in lawsuits, scandals and cover ups. I do know that. All this stuff cannot be bogus.

New lawsuit accuses a former Mater Dei coach of raping a student in the 1980s

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-20/mater-dei-sex-abuse-accusation-track-coach-football-field

School and Diocese are disgusting for not preventing not just one, but a few underage students from being in sexual relationships with teachers (including a young woman and a men's basketball coach) in the 80s. Worst of all, after the statutory rapes were discovered in the 80s, the offending teachers were merely fired and allowed to quietly move to other states (very much the Catholic church MO). No criminal charges were brought; no one was turned over to the authorities. And the former students were given settlement by the Diocese without strong, full-throated apologies from the Diocese and School.

What does this have to do with Rollinson (who started coaching in '89), the football team (which is not implicated in any of these incidents with teachers and one basketball coach), or the pending tenuous hazing allegations that are likely to be dismissed on Monday?

3 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Uhhhh… what?

Your problem is you believe a coach can absolutely control the kids he coaches.That’s worse than saying a parent can absolutely control the kids they raise.It’s ridiculous 

5 minutes ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

What does this have to do with Rollinson (who started coaching in '89), the football team (which is not implicated in any of these incidents with teachers and one basket ball coach, or tenuous hazing allegations that are likely to be dismissed on Monday?

It has a lot to do with "when did mater dei get so wrong"

People knew in the 1980s what was going on. Don't kid yourself or make light of it.

13 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Uhhhh… what?

Still waiting for your school 

1 minute ago, res ipsa loquitur said:

What does this have to do with Rollinson (who started coaching in '89), the football team (which is not implicated in any of these incidents with teachers and one basket ball coach, or tenuous hazing allegations that are likely to be dismissed on Monday?

Considering he “doesn’t have time to deal with this shit”? It would seem things may have come full circle since 1989 —

“Police: Mater Dei's Bruce Rollinson faces prosecution for allegedly choking the team trainer, Lynn Ingram, in a dispute over locking the training room.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-11-18-me-1586-story.html

We know, we know… he wasn’t convicted, isolated incidents, look at your own program, haters gonna hate, blah blah blah. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Your problem is you believe a coach can absolutely control the kids he coaches.That’s worse than saying a parent can absolutely control the kids they raise.It’s ridiculous 

Your problem is you think you know what others think and “believe.” I will rarely criticize anyone for the actions of others, and this is not an exception. I will, however, criticize them for their reactions to those actions. That’s the issue at hand, not that they didn’t stop an unforeseen crime from being committed… this ain’t Minority Report.

Your problem is you don’t understand what the problem is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

. I will, however, criticize them for their reactions to those actions.

What would you know about their reactions? Are you privy to MD disciplinary actions? If not then you’re just hot air blowing in the wind.If you are then by all means elaborate.