Graham-Kapowsin further demonstrates the "Mythical" in MNC

badrouter

2 hours ago, cnd123 said:

I'm just spit-balling, but there are a couple factors in GK's favor that I like. 

During Bellevue's heyday they would play a big out of state matchup early in the season. Teams from California or Texas. Bellevue generally did pretty well in those games and then went on to win the state 3A title. 

Couple points to make right off the bat on that info. When playing an early season OOS game, you don't really know how good that team is going to be. Bellevue beat some high ranked opponents that then went on to finish with 2 or more losses (De La Salle, Euless Trinity, Long Beach, etc.)

Compare that with GK who beat the #3 undefeated 7A Georgia champ....in the last game of the season. That means more to me than an early season win over Euless Trinity who finishes 10-3 and bows out in the quarterfinals or whatever it was.

The second thing is that Bellevue is notorious for cheating and recruiting, unfortunately. Many people believe they purposefully stay at 3A for sports instead of moving up to the generally stiffer competition in 4A. 

3A is weird in WA state because it has Bellevue and some really strong private school programs like Eastside Catholic and O'Dea, so 3A can produce some strong champions. However, by and large 4A is the tough classification and has more "solid" teams in the divisions. The South Puget Sound League GK is in is traditionally very competitive. And GK blanked most of the teams in that league on defense. 

Combine these factors with CH being the highest ranked OOS team a WA state team has beaten at the end of the year, ever, and that why I believe GK 2021 is the best overall team from the state.

I don’t recall the ranking/rating of Centennial. AZ some years back when they played Eastside Catholic in December, but EC manhandled them good.  The stats at halftime were very lopsided in their 21-0 shutout win.  

Yes Bellevue has the tarnished image, but staying on the gridiron, I’d think/assume one of their solid years must be a top 3 team in the state’s history.  

Lastly, I had a good laugh as about an hour ago my son sent me a few photos… you’ll notice the bottom right player ha :)  

He works in the card business (mostly related to baseball cards), but likes to buy cards in various sports from time to time.  Ooof, that Jets card/sticker 😂.  Sorry to the 1 Jets fan reading this (maybe not any lol). 

F38F28E3-E883-4F0C-A724-2A0E48BB1796.jpeg

57837E61-BD63-41A1-9A56-E6E654BB349A.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RedZone said:

..blockhead813 can smell it when someone says something about Florida.....it's bizarre really, his nose and childlike defense every single time.

Just curious...are there any dynamics in place that would restrict a private school in the New Orleans metro from building a powerhouse all-star team with all of the talent in the area?  My perception is that the wealth is somewhat spread amongst schools.

1 minute ago, OldCoach said:

A question for the Georgia boys on here.  Is there something holding Marist back from becoming the Mater Dei of Georgia?  Seems like they could build an unbelievable team if they had as much success attracting talent as the Catholic schools in Florida and California. 

Marist is slowly changing with the times... 

Coach Alan Chadwick is changing with them... 

Keep an eye on em... 

He's been there since 1989... 

Marist,Westminster,Benedictine and Woodward Academy are some of the richest private schools in the country... 

Benedictine is doing good. 

Westminster needs a complete overhaul... 

Marist is getting there... 

Woodward Academy could recruit Tom Brady and the GHSA would still let it go... theyre a State Association favorite... 

58 minutes ago, OldCoach said:

Just curious...are there any dynamics in place that would restrict a private school in the New Orleans metro from building a powerhouse all-star team with all of the talent in the area?  My perception is that the wealth is somewhat spread amongst schools.

If you mean can a Private here in the City pick up 16-17 football transfers in an off-season like STA did this past season the answer is a big fat NO....it's a struggle to get one approved without sitting out an entire year.

If Rummel sent the paperwork to the state regarding 17 football transfers the state would laugh at Rummel at kick them out of the association.

Miami Central getting 5 football players from the same school this past off-season isn't flying either for the publics and charters here.

We are just naturally sweetened here......everyone has some good players. 

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

If you mean can a Private here in the City pick up 16-17 football transfers in an off-season like STA did this past season the answer is a big fat NO....it's a struggle to get one approved without sitting out an entire year.

If Rummel sent the paperwork to the state regarding 17 football transfers the state would laugh at Rummel at kick them out of the association.

Miami Central getting 5 football players from the same school this past off-season isn't flying either for the publics and charters here.

In other words, some folks gotta add a lot of sugar to their tea...or spray more deodorant after they use the potty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

Didnt Evangel make a name for themselves with large amounts of transfers for 2 decades? It didn’t help them against the out of state teams they played, but it did help them win a bunch of Louisiana titles 

Attracting a disproportionate share of talent right away with incoming 9th graders is an often overlooked cause of talent disparities. But, we shouldn't pretend that transfers don't offer a unique advantage.  Some kids don't look like much coming out of 8th grade, but start playing at XYZ school and suddenly hit a growth spurt and blow up and then want to play on a winner by 11th or 12th grade. Some are really good prospects all along, but don't want to ride the pine and/or play a season on JV, so they transfer to a lesser program they can play at right away. Then, when spots in the lineup open up the following season, they come back. And of course some kids were youth league stars as they arrive for 9th grade, but never really grow and develop and end up not contributing. If you're stuck with whoever you attract directly into 9th grade, you're going to be at a huge disadvantage compared to teams that can shuffle players and end up with the best players by their Junior or Senior seasons.

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

Attracting a disproportionate share of talent right away with incoming 9th graders is an often overlooked cause of talent disparities. But, we shouldn't pretend that transfers don't offer a unique advantage.  Some kids don't look like much coming out of 8th grade, but start playing at XYZ school and suddenly hit a growth spurt and blow up and then want to play on a winner by 11th or 12th grade. Some are really good prospects all along, but don't want to ride the pine and/or play a season on JV, so they transfer to a lesser program they can play at right away. Then, when spots in the lineup open up the following season, they come back. And of course some kids were youth league stars as they arrive for 9th grade, but never really grow and develop and end up not contributing. If you're stuck with whoever you attract directly into 9th grade, you're going to be at a huge disadvantage compared to teams that can shuffle players and end up with the best players by their Junior or Senior seasons.

Good points.  So much attention is paid to transfers involving the 4 and 5-star players.  And many of them are skill players.  My tendency is to think that a 4-star skill player transferring into a nationally-recognized program is not going to make THAT much of a difference at the end of the day.  It could, no doubt.  I'm thinking in terms of, for instance, they already have a 3-star DB and now a 4-star transfers in.

What I could see flying under the radar is the program that basically imports a new/nearly new OL and/or DL each season.  There are usually only a handful or slightly more of 4/5 star offensive linemen in any one state.  A team could bring in a few monster 3-star OL each season and only the most astute will likely notice.  And without those kids, they would be a completely different team.  I would think one would be more likely to find this scenario in smaller schools.

My point is that some of the big-name programs get picked on for transfers, but there might be lesser known programs that are relying even more so on transfers to keep their programs reloaded each year. And just because a big name program gets a bunch of transfers does not necessarily mean it wouldn't be a great program without them.  I think one has to assess on a case-by-case basis.