Is the Dollar in Danger

Warrior

Do you understand what this means? The US dollar will become worthless if/when the Chinese yuan replaces it. Your 401K’s, retirement funds, etc will all be worthless as well. Everything you have worked for your entire lives - gone. Not to mention the impact to America and our economy.
THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE BEING DISTRACTED FROM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/in-blow-to-biden-saudi-arabia-considers-helping-china-unseat-us-dollar-as-worlds-reserve-currency%3f_amp=true?fbclid=IwAR0Tb21LASCvi6-P6Mmktkdzb4fHSCGGtLYHwo_8kKCqsR3QCdn-eBuHgsI

That's one helluva commentary right wing piece.   Her Twitter page doesn't scream objectivity, but it does scream that she looks fine.  

I listened to Fed Chair Powell's extremely important speech today, followed by a Q and A session and not once was this brought up.  The market was losing early gains when Powell spoke, but when he had a chance to be more clear in the Q and A with the group's mindset of current economic indicators, the market went back up and finished ripping.  Nasdaq finished up 3.77 pct.   

Chinese stocks were a serious concern recently, but that issue was improved positively today by reports out of China and the market reacted.  One look at BABA will reflect that.  Dang what a day.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/16/real-time-updates-of-the-big-fed-decision-and-jerome-powell-press-conference.html

Fed raises rates by 25 basis points, as expected

The Federal Reserve said Wednesday that it raised rates by 25 points, or 0.25%. This marks the first rate hike since 2018.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/072915/how-petrodollars-affect-us-dollar.asp

...The petrodollar system elevated the U.S. dollar to the world's reserve currency and, through this status, the United States enjoys persistent trade deficits and is a global economic hegemony.2 The petrodollar system also provides U.S. financial markets with a source of liquidity and foreign capital inflows through petrodollar "recycling."...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warrior said:

The first chart, if I'm not mistaken, is factoring the value of the USD vs 1913?   Yep, that's the effect of inflation primarily.  That's not an effect of the USD, it's the reality that we can't buy products at past prices, whether you're referring to any stable national currency as well as the US dollar.  

I don't have a very long experience investing in Gold, but I have done research and have experienced both highs and lows in the value of Gold... which of late, has been doing very well and crossed the $2000 level recently, not sure where it is today.  

Depending on one's time horizon and stomach for volatility, Gold may or may not be an ideal investment.  Most reliable sources want the average investor to have a small portion of Gold (precious metals) in their portfolio... anywhere from 5-10 pct I've seen/read.   I am currently on the higher end of that range,  Gold is 2.3 pct of my portfolio and Precious metals overall is 8.75 pct as of 6:18 pm est. :)  

Gold is more volatile than high yield Bonds, but unless you are dealing with some form of derivative investment hybrid, Gold will be less volatile than the lower tier of mutual funds investing in equities. .. that is statistically over time, not a month or even a year.   Gold was down quite a bit before it ripped back up recently.  Timing is very important with Gold, unless you are a long term investor and can stomach the chutes and ladders game.  

On 3/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, Ga96 said:

Don't worry those that are educated know the dollar is not in danger.

Idiot Brains GIF

On 3/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, Ga96 said:

One of the simple facts of the matter all countries benefit from banking on the US dollar even more than their own currency. 

Idiot Brains GIF

Canadian Chef GIF by CanFilmDay

• 5 months later...

Bump for USD weakness.  😉 

2 year trend below. 

Forecast is for the dollar to weaken in ‘23, but no surprise huh?  

I sure would like a tutorial on Bonds investing right now   Holy wtf Batman.  
What a shit show this year.  Feel bad for brand new and/or newly retired folks on a defined budget forecast.  

ZROZ I added today on the dip.  Just another hedge I’m deploying in the hopes of a nice return plus yield and I’m long term investing.  

10 yr treasury 3.358 pct… even with a true real value loss of dollar with inflation, it’s not a bad place to park $ right now for defense imo.  

230BE83F-E3B7-4054-A153-F74F743176C5.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Bump for USD weakness.  😉 

2 year trend below. 

Forecast is for the dollar to weaken in ‘23, but no surprise huh?  

I sure would like a tutorial on Bonds investing right now   Holy wtf Batman.  
What a shit show this year.  Feel bad for brand new and/or newly retired folks on a defined budget forecast.  

ZROZ I added today on the dip.  Just another hedge I’m deploying in the hopes of a nice return plus yield and I’m long term investing.  

10 yr treasury 3.358 pct… even with a true real value loss of dollar with inflation, it’s not a bad place to park $ right now for defense imo.  

230BE83F-E3B7-4054-A153-F74F743176C5.jpeg

I agree, my concern is two part. The recent bump started in Feb as the Ukraine invasion was happening and smart money moved quick to the dollar plus rate increases to slow inflation has bumped the value of the dollar the last 6 months. Are those two factors going to continue and if not what will the impact be to the dollar. But right now absolutely. 

87614254-B0F0-4302-96C7-C25479DD5C36.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warrior said:

I agree, my concern is two part. The recent bump started in Feb as the Ukraine invasion was happening and smart money moved quick to the dollar plus rate increases to slow inflation has bumped the value of the dollar the last 6 months. Are those two factors going to continue and if not what will the impact be to the dollar. But right now absolutely. 

87614254-B0F0-4302-96C7-C25479DD5C36.png

I like your chart for visual as looking at the lowest lows makes me guesstimate that if we had a line connecting this movement, there appears to be more of a dip coming before hitting a lowest low mark.   If one of us remembers in a few months 😂 let’s “retrace”.  

Obviously many things have changed and since you asked here’s the same chart 3 years out.

BD80A0AA-54ED-4490-A4EF-8028DC854589.jpeg

I’ve tried to share below what I’m referring to as far as lowest lows and a trend line.  The 3 yr analysis in this scenario is not really important to me, but I’ve shared it below by quarter.  The line and arrow is my doing sorry 😂 I tried.  

By no means is this a guarantee of a dip , but let’s have a look after the quarter and see if my guesstimate trend line chart is correct… and we can follow each quarter after.  I can dig it.  I may totally be wrong.  

I used to use a 3 year performance chart for choosing ETF’s and funds, but the turbulence lately and tug of war with value vs growth and what appears to be more dark clouds looming… just having a proper mix is vital.  Hence, my bonds white flag earlier.  Bonds are extremely important and dictate so much of the market.  The experts are even lost and don’t know when core bonds will start to perform again.  

One of my fav shows is Bloomberg Fridays 1 pm est.  1/2 show focusing solely on bonds/fixed income.   Real Yield is the name.  Jonathan Ferro (spelling) is usually the host and he’s solid imo.  He also is a host prior to the market day opening (much better group in the am and overall imo vs CNBC).  

I don’t watch Fox business other than the weekly Barrons show.  It’s good also.  Used to air on Friday nights, but they switched fairly recently to 10 am est Saturdays.

My fav financial show is the M-F CNBC noon one hour show with Scott Wapner as the main host and he’s perfect for the job dictating the show and adding entertainment as well.  Fast Money halftime report FYI to all interested.  

The Najarian brothers are intense options traders and provide insight often on CNBC shows.  Some here may know the names.  They are both conservatives and outspoken.  Jon is at least.  Both were football players and Pete played in NFL.  Jon was cut in training camp by the Bears.  

74EEDC3A-EB90-424F-8B21-EF66D6081242.jpeg

• Like 1

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/august-inflation-data-cpi-september-13-211038620.html

Pre-trading futures were green until the CPI report for August came out.  Quick reversal to red for now.  Very red for now.  Market no likey.  

10 year treasury also went from a nice decline of over 1 pct futures, back to a slight increase for now. 

• Like 1

Printing cash without the intended results as of now. 

2 yr treasury rate is quite nice to lock in for such a short duration.  Up to 3.766% checked a min ago.  Dang.  

The Quantitive Easing program ending in March I believe.  

My current defense (bend but don’t break) 

PSQ shorting qqq (Nasdaq) 

RWM shorting Russell 2000 (small caps) 

DBMF and KMLM  managed futures hedge fund style.  Correlation is opposite the equity indexes at this time, contributing to a solid strategy of hedging for shit days like this. 

• Like 1

Interesting news in 🇩🇪 re: potentially nationalizing an energy company.  Looking at Wiki, Germany hasn’t nationalized a company since 2008.  

Uniper’s stock value dropped 17 pct today and down 90 pct YTD.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-14/germany-mulls-nationalizing-uniper-as-energy-crisis-worsens

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 3:45 PM, Warrior said:

Do you understand what this means? The US dollar will become worthless if/when the Chinese yuan replaces it. Your 401K’s, retirement funds, etc will all be worthless as well. Everything you have worked for your entire lives - gone. Not to mention the impact to America and our economy.
THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE BEING DISTRACTED FROM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/in-blow-to-biden-saudi-arabia-considers-helping-china-unseat-us-dollar-as-worlds-reserve-currency%3f_amp=true?fbclid=IwAR0Tb21LASCvi6-P6Mmktkdzb4fHSCGGtLYHwo_8kKCqsR3QCdn-eBuHgsI

No worries. Change where your source your material. The dollar is stronger than ever. @concha can verify this (if he will post honest) He has his MBA, he understand such things.