Saban holds nothing back but says the obvious at the same time.

HurricaneNick

4 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

A coach should focus on winning and player development. Saban is arguably the best at both.

He's 70, so he doesn't have 20 more years to fight off others trying to get to where he is. Georgia is in a good position, Ohio State is in a good position. A&M and USC look to be doing whatever they can in putting together uber-talented rosters. Clemson appears to have staying power. We'll see how Kelly does at LSU.

The bottom line is Saban will stop coaching sometime soon, and Bama will not be the same then as with him there.

For him to say A&M bought all their recruits with NIL money, and Alabama didn't buy any is silly. As of a year ago, the Tide had over 20 players partnered up with NIL deals. Who knows how many they have now?

As things are, a 5-star recruit knows he'll get paid whether he goes to Tuscaloosa or College Station. Maybe they'll get more at College Station, so good for them. Hell, if Von Miller or Myles Garrett could get more money at A&M than at Bama, why not? They're making great money in the NFL either way.You never know what might happen -- get it early and get it often.

Is Saban the best at player development? He's the best at getting 5 stars. 

I'd like to see a breakdown percentage wise of the 4 stars he sends to the NFL compared to other coaches. 3 stars etc

Sending a bunch of 5 stars to the NFL isn't a good gauge. 5 stars mathematically have a 52.2 percent chance of being drafted into the NFL coming out of HS. 

13 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Who did? Only a buffoon would've said that

People over the years have said this or that will “even the playing field” or “pass Saban up” and force him to retire. E.g., when college football offenses became wide open, especially in the SEC (when Malzahn and Sumlin were there and the latter just had Manziel come thru) Saban would get run out of the conference. 

I think Saban will adapt regardless of circumstances and even when 2024 and 2025 come around, he will still be the best coach in CFB with the best program. Even though I’m a fan of Saban and Bama, it’s hard to bet against a guy who has maintained almost total dominance in CFB for several years.

Nobody knows what’s going to happen, so it’s best to sit back and watch instead of wasting time trying to predict when we’ll lose our hold on CFB. 

7 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Exactly,  which tells you Saban isn't anything special without having the best talent.  On an equal playing field(talent wise),  he'd be just another coach

Regardless of talent, to maintain dominance for this long is not a product of just talent alone. The greatest and most dominant run in college football history (at least modern history), spanning from 2008 to now, has much to do with coaching. 

Not to mention Saban has been able to maintain the highest level in the sport with high turnover at his coaching positions. Who else has done that? And to do it for 13 years? 

Further, Saban has improved much as a coach, as many do. To say he’s the same guy he was back in 1995 at Michigan State is ridiculous. 

I know an NFL GM personally who has mentioned the qualities that Alabama players bring due to Saban’s coaching and philosophy. 

To say Saban isn’t anything special, especially at this point, is crazy. No one else has been able to do what he’s done anyway. 

24 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

People over the years have said this or that will “even the playing field” or “pass Saban up” and force him to retire. E.g., when college football offenses became wide open, especially in the SEC (when Malzahn and Sumlin were there and the latter just had Manziel come thru) Saban would get run out of the conference. 

That didn't take away talent from Bama. They kept on getting the top recruits. The current system with NIL will take recruits from him. You can't maintain dominance without the best Jimmy's and Joe's. 

23 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Regardless of talent, to maintain dominance for this long is not a product of just talent alone. The greatest and most dominant run in college football history (at least modern history), spanning from 2008 to now, has much to do with coaching. 

Not alone,  but the majority of the success is attributed to that. Georgia is getting top recruits now,  and look at their success these past 4 years. 

No team has won a NC without a top 5 recruiting class in the playoff era. You think that's a coincidence?

Not to mention Saban has been able to maintain the highest level in the sport with high turnover at his coaching positions. Who else has done that? And to do it for 13 years? 

Who else has as many top 3 recruiting classes in the last 14 years?

Further, Saban has improved much as a coach, as many do. To say he’s the same guy he was back in 1995 at Michigan State is ridiculous. 

Unless we see Saban at Michigan State making those 3 stars win 10 games and go to big bowl games regularly. It's actually not something asinine to say. 

To say Saban isn’t anything special, especially at this point, is crazy. No one else has been able to do what he’s done anyway. 

He's a great recruiter

7 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

That didn't take away talent from Bama. They kept on getting the top recruits. The current system with NIL will take recruits from him. You can't maintain dominance without the best Jimmy's and Joe's. 

Point being, Saban was able to adapt and figure out a way to crush opposition. I believe he will do the same. This is a unique challenge, relative to previous, on-the-field-related ones. However, I have reasons to believe he will adapt (somehow, someway) and be successful. 

Just now, ChimpGrip said:

Point being, Saban was able to adapt and figure out a way to crush opposition. I believe he will do the same. This is a unique challenge, relative to previous, on-the-field-related ones. However, I have reasons to believe he will adapt (somehow, someway) and be successful. 

He really didn't adapt.  Teams are outmanned by Alabama(Just like they were outmanned this past year by Georgia). This isn't an even playing field where his coaching prowess is winning games

17 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

He really didn't adapt.  Teams are outmanned by Alabama(Just like they were outmanned this past year by Georgia). This isn't an even playing field where his coaching prowess is winning games

He absolutely did adapt. The players he recruited were still talented but built for a different style of play. For example, look at the personnel on the 2010 defense versus 2016 and the style of players up front (more “fast-twitch” guys to generate a pass rush… why? Because the game had evolved to become wide open and pass happy). So yes he did adapt.

You don’t keep winning if you don’t adapt. Same is true in business and in many other areas in life. 

25 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

He absolutely did adapt. The players he recruited were still talented but built for a different style of play. For example, look at the personnel on the 2010 defense versus 2016 and the style of players up front (more “fast-twitch” guys to generate a pass rush… why? Because the game had evolved to become wide open and pass happy). So yes he did adapt.

His 2016 defense was littered with 5 star guys.  

His defensive line

Allen 5 Star 

Hand 5 star 

Payne 5 star

Tomlinson 4 star

25 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

You don’t keep winning if you don’t adapt. Same is true in business and in many other areas in life. 

Do you understand how many number 1 recruiting classes he's had?

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

His defensive line

Allen 5 Star 

Hand 5 star 

Payne 5 star

Tomlinson 4 star

LBs

Hamilton 4 star

Foster 5 star

Anderson 4 star

Williams 4 star

DBs

Humphrey 5 star

Fitzpatrick 5 star

Jackson 4 star

Harrison 4 star

12 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

His defensive line

Allen 5 Star 

Hand 5 star 

Payne 5 star

Tomlinson 4 star

Do you understand how many number 1 recruiting classes he's had?

You totally missed my point. I acknowledged they were still talented, meaning mostly 5-star guys. It’s the build and type of players that changed. 

look at how the offenses changed, how the defenses changed, etc 

This is quite obvious. The style of play at Alabama has evolved since 2009. Why? In order to adapt. I still think those teams would be great today, but my point is the team has changed. 

And again, how Saban has been able to maintain dominance on and off the field with high turnover is remarkable. 

15 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

You totally missed my point. I acknowledged they were still talented, meaning mostly 5-star guys. It’s the build and type of players that changed. 

Those guys didn't change.  The LBs were faster that year on the edges(Foster and Anderson), but that's about it

Look at how the offenses changed, how the defenses changed, etc 

They ran the ball with Henry right down your throat that year.  Lately,  they've gone to a spread but that's a sign of the times with the NFL. 

This is quite obvious. The style of play at Alabama has evolved since 2009. Why? In order to adapt. I still think those teams would be great today, but my point is the team has changed. 

Their offense has changed to a spread like every other teams because of the NFL and the rules

And again, how Saban has been able to maintain dominance on and off the field with high turnover is remarkable. 

No it's not.  He's getting the best players annually. Until he does that with non top 10 recruiting classes in back to back years.  It's not impressive for him to beat everyone with the best players. 

Let me ask you this,  how impressive is Mater Dei and SJB to you?