Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

Bones inspired me to get one of these going. I know a lot of you don't care, but some do, and this is for you.

Let's get into it...

My preseason top 5 at the moment looks pretty much the same as it did previously:

1. Everett - Watched some film on their first scrimmage. They have speed everywhere. OL needs to gain experience but their skill will make up for it.
2. Central Catholic - Hearing great things still. QB is maybe the best in the state and the OL is excellent. Physical. Experienced.
3. St. John's Prep - Lost their best skill player to a knee injury but still has plenty going for it. Maybe a year away.
4. BC High - Defense and both lines should be fine. Right now, the leader in a jumbled D1 South.
5. St. John's (Shrewsbury) - Got an up-close look at them last week. Pretty solid. Will know a lot more after the first two weeks.

Others of note (not the next best teams, but just ones to monitor)

Catholic Memorial - D1 South sleeper has some good line play, always their Achilles heel.
Xaverian - Walloped by Central Catholic in a scrimmage. They lost a lot to graduation and will need to grow up quick.
Brockton - Talent is improved. Mostly young and inexperienced. Had its moments in a scrimmage at Everett.
Mansfield - Had some down years but the talent is creeping back up (the highlights from the BC High scrimmage are intriguing), and 2018 will be even better.
Springfield Central - Posted already about their scrimmage with Paramus Catholic. Key will be how OL holds up.
Lexington - If the Central QB isn't the best in the state, then Lexington's is. Will be in a lot of shootouts.

Final round of scrimmages are tonight, then next week we get into the real stuff.

Week 1 Games To Watch (9/8 and 9/9)

Friday night (all games at 7 p.m. ET)

Bridgewater-Raynham at Duxbury - Bit of a tossup. Duxbury lost a ton of skill but OL and front seven are strong.
Central Catholic at Dartmouth - Long bus ride for Central (traffic will be hell so they're leaving at 2:15 p.m.) and Dartmouth is solid, but the visitors should prevail.
North Attleboro at King Philip - I might go to this. Both solid, top 25-type teams. KP is always extremely physical.
St. John's (S) at Catholic Memorial - SJS jumped out to a big lead last year and held on. These are both top 10 teams in the state.

Saturday afternoon

Bishop Sullivan Catholic (Va.) at Springfield Central (1 p.m.) - SC schedules fearlessly here, then has St. John's (S) the week after.
Brockton at Lexington (1 p.m.) - Expect a lot of points.
Xaverian at Everett (2:30 p.m.) - X will do its best to keep Everett's offense off the field.

• Like 8

Just now, Coletrain06 said:

Did Brockton ever have success with learning the option

They ran it in 2012 with great success. They tried to install it last year but the QB they had in mind for it got injured in the offseason. They didn't ditch it until too late and had multiple QBs get hurt. Basically ruined their offensive development for the season and they went 5-6.

Their QB this year was the one they were going to build that offense around. He's back (a senior) and they are going to be multiple on O. They have some real talent at WR and RB and their front seven will be excellent. There is a lot of youth, though, and they play Lexington, CM, BC High and Xaverian. Will likely make the D1 South playoffs again. How far they go depends on how quickly the young guys adapt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

I was at the one in Dorchester. Covered it for the Herald. SPP was just too fast. Fairly competitive but SPP was clearly better. The year after in Jersey it was a slaughter.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam Kurkjian said:

I was at the one in Dorchester. Covered it for the Herald. SPP was just too fast. Fairly competitive but SPP was clearly better. The year after in Jersey it was a slaughter.

Gotcha. I just remember that they certainly played NJ teams before. I also believe they played BC but not sure

1 hour ago, legendsofthefall said:

Yes. They played a home-and-home in 06/07. SJR won, 31-21, in Montvale, and 6-3, in Westwood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bones said:

We need these to educate the public.

But why do yall start so late?

Just always been that way in New England. Everything is so rushed. Not enough practice time. Teams had three scrimmages in six days.

As one coach put it when I asked him how his team is doing, "Lots of work to be done and not enough time to do it."

Boston Globe released its top 20 the other day. Boston Herald's Dan Ventura will release his "Sweet 16" Friday I believe.

Here's the Globe's rankings (these are Eastern Mass. only)

1. Everett

2. Xaverian

3. Central Catholic

4. BC High

5. Duxbury

6. St. John's Prep

7. King Philip

8. Marshfield

9. Lexington

10. North Attleboro

11. Reading

12. Marblehead

13. Hanover

14. Tewksbury

15. Wellesley

16. Catholic Memorial

17. Bridgewater-Raynham

18. Falmouth

19. Andover

20. Mashpee

3 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Boston Globe released its top 20 the other day. Boston Herald's Dan Ventura will release his "Sweet 16" Friday I believe.

Here's the Globe's rankings (these are Eastern Mass. only)

1. Everett

2. Xaverian

3. Central Catholic

4. BC High

5. Duxbury

6. St. John's Prep

7. King Philip

8. Marshfield

9. Lexington

10. North Attleboro

11. Reading

12. Marblehead

13. Hanover

14. Tewksbury

15. Wellesley

16. Catholic Memorial

17. Bridgewater-Raynham

18. Falmouth

19. Andover

20. Mashpee

It's not unreasonable to limit the list to Eastern Mass only.

It's been years since Central/Western Mass teams were consistantly competitive with the East.

I think Springfield Central is about the only C/W team that even qualifies as Div 1 by enrollment.

I'll be interested to see how they do this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

It's not unreasonable to limit the list to Eastern Mass only.

It's been years since Central/Western Mass teams were consistantly competitive with the East.

I think Springfield Central is about the only C/W team that even qualifies as Div 1 by enrollment.

I'll be interested to see how they do this year.

Yeah, that's how the Boston papers have always done it. I do think St. John's (S) would beat a lot of good teams in the East, and they would be D1. So would, I believe, Wachusett and maybe Leominster (don't quote me on that, but I know SJS would be).