Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

Four weeks in, here's what I've got.

1. Everett - Bye week. Had real difficulty getting a game this year. Hopefully can fill it next year.

2. Central Catholic - A little scare against Methuen but still feel good about this team as a solid No. 2.

3. BC High - Still has yet to be stopped on the ground. We will see how they do when they truly need to pass.

4. St. John's (S) - You can make an argument for a little higher even.

5. Lexington - A lot of teams could take this spot, but I'm going with the Minutemen here for now.

Games to Watch

Thursday, 9/28 (all games at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted)

Mansfield at King Philip - KP could be that fifth team. These are the two best teams in the Hockomock League and two of the best in D2 South.

Friday, 9/29 (all games at 7 p.m unless otherwise noted)

Milton Academy at Governor's Academy, 2:30 - Pretty critical ISL showdown between two teams coming off nice Week 1 wins.

Marlboro at Nashoba - Two unbeaten Central Mass. teams. Tough call, but I might favor Marlboro slightly here.

Catholic Memorial at Xaverian - X should bounce back from the loss to Stepinac, but who knows. CM has played X tough the last few years.

Lowell at Andover - Take the over.

St. John's (S) at Wachusett - St. John's should win, but Wachusett has a bruising style that can wear teams down. Should be a good one.

Lynn Classical at Gloucester - Both unbeaten teams. Classical getting a lot of early hype. This would go a bit in deciding how warranted it is.

BC High at Brockton - Brockton has had more problems defensively this year than it's used to. BC High should improve to 4-0.

Central Catholic at Billerica - A nice test for Central, but the Red Raiders should pass it.

Saturday, 9/30

East Bridgewater at Middleboro, 1 - Middleboro might have something special this year.

On 9/28/2017 at 2:54 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Four weeks in, here's what I've got.

1. Everett - Bye week. Had real difficulty getting a game this year. Hopefully can fill it next year.

2. Central Catholic - A little scare against Methuen but still feel good about this team as a solid No. 2.

3. BC High - Still has yet to be stopped on the ground. We will see how they do when they truly need to pass.

4. St. John's (S) - You can make an argument for a little higher even.

5. Lexington - A lot of teams could take this spot, but I'm going with the Minutemen here for now.

Games to Watch

Thursday, 9/28 (all games at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted)

Mansfield at King Philip - KP could be that fifth team. These are the two best teams in the Hockomock League and two of the best in D2 South.

Friday, 9/29 (all games at 7 p.m unless otherwise noted)

Milton Academy at Governor's Academy, 2:30 - Pretty critical ISL showdown between two teams coming off nice Week 1 wins.

Marlboro at Nashoba - Two unbeaten Central Mass. teams. Tough call, but I might favor Marlboro slightly here.

Catholic Memorial at Xaverian - X should bounce back from the loss to Stepinac, but who knows. CM has played X tough the last few years.

Lowell at Andover - Take the over.

St. John's (S) at Wachusett - St. John's should win, but Wachusett has a bruising style that can wear teams down. Should be a good one.

Lynn Classical at Gloucester - Both unbeaten teams. Classical getting a lot of early hype. This would go a bit in deciding how warranted it is.

BC High at Brockton - Brockton has had more problems defensively this year than it's used to. BC High should improve to 4-0.

Central Catholic at Billerica - A nice test for Central, but the Red Raiders should pass it.

Saturday, 9/30

East Bridgewater at Middleboro, 1 - Middleboro might have something special this year.

Interesting weekend. Of these results, here's what happened...

King Philip beat Mansfield, 28-10. The Warriors might be the fifth-best team in the state when it comes to MIAA. I might include ISL teams in my next top five, though.

Catholic Memorial stunned Xaverian, 13-12, at Xaverian for the first home loss by X in years. X is now 1-3.

Governor's Academy beat Milton Academy, 34-28. My alma mater tacked on a late score to make it look more respectable, but Governor's controlled it.

Nashoba took down Marlboro, 14-13, so Nashoba looks like the team to beat in Central Mass. in Division 4.

Told you to take the over in that Lowell game, and it beat Andover, 51-48. Lowell plays Everett soon and that's the only game Everett will be close to challenged, and that's being generous.

St. John's (S) hammered Wachusett, 55-21, and the Pioneers are making their case as the second-best team in the state.

Lynn Classical slipped by Gloucester, 21-19. Still not completely sold on the Rams, though.

BC High smothered Brockton, 42-18. BC High still running all over teams. Keep an eye on Brockton in the next two-three years though. The Boxers have an unreal group of freshmen.

Central Catholic kept rolling, 44-14, over Billerica. They're good.

Middleboro beat East Bridgewater, 28-21. Lower division team with some nice momentum.

Main takeaways

State is down in some respects. It's too bad. Everett is really good but not sure how many strong teams it will play down the line.

St. John's (S) is a real wagon. They have some weapons and I'm not sure if anyone in D3 can stop them.

If I had to rank the top five by including ISLs, here's what I'd have:

1. Everett - Too much speed for anyone around here

2. Lawrence Academy - Look great so far

3. Central Catholic - QB is tremendous, UNH got a steal

4. St. John's (S) - Maybe could be higher

5. BC High - Lack of a true passing game keeps this team behind a little

Another big week in store. Let's get to it...

Statewide Top 5 (ISL included)

1. Everett (3-0) - Faces a surprisingly unbeaten Lowell team that can score a lot of points but hasn't shown the ability to stop anyone. Everett will likely roll, but this is a good test for an Everett D that wasn't all that strong against St. John's Prep in its last outing.

2. Lawrence Academy (2-0) - Very strong up front with a good QB and some versatility at the skill spots. Would love to see this team play Everett. Do I say this every post? Yes.

3. Central Catholic (4-0) - Will annihilate Haverhill this week. Quarterback Bret Edwards tearing it up this year and wait until he gets to UNH. Will be lethal there.

4. St. John's (S) (4-0) - Maybe the second-best team in the state but don't want to pull the trigger on that yet. Faces crosstown rival Shrewsbury this week.

5. BC High (4-0) - This might be unfairly low. Crushed Brockton over the weekend. The running game is dominant.

Games to watch

Friday, 10/6 (all games at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted)

Falmouth at Dennis-Yarmouth, 6 - Great game on the Cape between two of its best teams. D-Y is a wagon this year.

St. John's Prep at Catholic Memorial - CM has won two close games back-to-back over Brockton and Xaverian. This should be a tossup but Prep a slight favorite.

Foxboro at North Attleboro - Could go a long way in deciding the Davenport Division of the Hockomock League. Expect a low-scoring battle.

Billerica at North Andover - North Andover probably slightly favored. Billerica already with a couple losses, but still dangerous.

St. John's (S) at Shrewsbury - Major Central Mass. tilt between two unbeaten teams. St. John's should win, but Shrewsbury always makes this interesting.

Everett at Lowell - Everett probably rolls, but this is the Crimson Tide's toughest regular season game the rest of the way.

Brockton at Xaverian - Huge game for both teams in terms of playoff seeding. Both 1-3, these teams have not had losing seasons in the same year since 1977.

Saturday, 10/7

Lawrence Academy at Governor's Academy, 3:30 - Huge NEPSAC bowl game implications. Lawrence should win here, but we will find out just how good the Spartans are here.

• Like 1

Some big recruiting news:

Everett senior WR Isaiah Likely, junior ATH Mike Sainristril and junior safety Lewis Cine were all just offered by Southern Miss., and Sainristril and Cine also have Virginia Tech offers.

I have no idea why Boston College and UMass have yet to offer Likely. He's tremendous. Size, speed, hands. Having a great year.

A quick look back at the weekend...

Dennis-Yarmouth crushed Falmouth, 42-6, and has a huge showdown with Marshfield this weekend.

St. John's Prep, which is full of juniors and sophomores, is starting a sophomore QB now and the passing game looks terrific. The Eagles just beat Catholic Memorial, 35-17, and watch this team over the next few years.

My hometown of North Attleboro edged Foxboro, 14-13, to grab hold of the Hockomock League's Davenport division. The game with Stoughton next week should also be a close one.

Billerica took down North Andover, 28-21, to hand NA its first loss.

St. John's (S) beat crosstown rival Shrewsbury, 46-35, as the Pioneers continue to roll.

Everett blew away Lowell in the second quarter and pulled away, 55-27. Everett probably could have scored 100 if it wanted to. QB threw four touchdown passes in the first half and didn't throw a single pass in the second half. The scores this offense has put up so far are really misleading because they scale it back every second half. They could easily be averaging 50-60 points per game.

Xaverian crushed Brockton, 31-0. Brockton is reeling right now.

Lawrence Academy rallied to beat Governor's, 27-20. Spartans have very few flaws right now.

Something else worth noting. A big storyline this season has been the quality of play in the Lynn area. St. Mary's (Division 7), Lynn English (Division 3), Lynn Classical (Division 3) and Lynnfield (Division 5) are all undefeated. English and Classical both had big wins this weekend and all four are threats to win their respective divisions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

I suspect UMass doesn’t bother with top prospects because they know they don’t have a prayer.

Why not BC, no clue.

UMass would definitely have a shot with Likely if it were between there and a bunch of 1aa's and most non Power 5s. When one of those ones show up he's probably out.

BC doesn't make sense. They already have an Everett kid committed. Their starting safety is an Everett kid and is having a breakout year (played outstanding against Clemson).

BC's whole thing is they usually have the linemen, tight ends, running backs and linebackers to compete, but the WR/DBs are a step slower than the ACC powers.

Well, Likely is a stud WR from a pipeline school where very few turn out to be busts when they come to the Heights and ... what?

About to get into another week. Not as many showstoppers for games but some worth a look...

Statewide Top 5 (ISL included)

1. Everett (4-0) - Crimson Tide through the toughest part of the regular season schedule. Now it's all about playoff seeding.

2. Lawrence Academy (3-0) - Huge win over Governor's gives this team the clear No. 1 spot in the ISL.

3. Central Catholic (5-0) - Still rolling toward what should be a Division 1 North playoff showdown with Everett.

4. St. John's (S) (5-0) - Has not really struggled at all yet.

5. BC High (5-0) - Maybe could be a spot higher. Some tough games upcoming for the Eagles.

Games to watch

Friday, 10/13 (all games at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted)

Marshfield at Dennis-Yarmouth - Winner takes the Atlantic Coast League most likely, but both teams can win titles in their respective regional and state divisions. Imo both top 10/15 teams.

St. John's Prep at BC High - Don't rule out a Prep upset here. Playing well of late and a year or two down the line could be the best team in the state. Very good young talent.

North Attleboro at Stoughton - Key Hockomock Davenport division battle between my hometown (North) and Stoughton. Both good QBs, but North a little safer pick. This will be close no matter what though.

Holliston at Natick - Interesting nonconferene MetroWest battle. Natick is unbeaten and one of the top teams in Division 2 South, but Holliston has been just as good a program in recent years at a lower level. Take Natick, but it could go either way.

Saturday, 10/14

Nantucket at Mashpee, 1:30 p.m. - Two of the best lower division teams in the state square off. Nantucket handed Mashpee its only loss last year. This is a toss up.

Governor's Academy at St. Sebastian's, 11:30 a.m. - Governor's is probably the better team, but even though Sebbies is 1-2, the Arrows aren't a pushover.

Belmont Hill at Milton Academy, 2 p.m. - Basically a NEPSAC bowl elimination game, as each team already owns one loss and neither has played Lawrence yet.

• Like 1

Last weekend of the MIAA regular season for Eastern Mass. A few big games on tap.

1. Everett (5-0) — The scores are skewed because the coach is not running up the score, but the Tide could be beating teams 60-7 every week. This has caused them to drop to No. 3 in the state in calpreps with a rating under 40, which is preposterous.

2. Lawrence Academy (4-0) — Governor's Academy the only team to throw a scare into these guys.

3. Central Catholic (6-0) — Should handle Andover this week.

4. St. John's (S) (6-0) — Has throttled opponents this year and calpreps has the Pioneers at No. 1 in the state. Warranted? I don't think so but we won't see them play Everett because they're in Division 3.

5. BC High (6-0) — Big win over St. John's Prep this past weekend.

Games to watch

Friday, 10/20 (all games 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted)

Brockton at New Bedford — Not really a huge game, but for the league title. New Bedford has some intriguing young talent, but always seems much better on offense than defense.

Xaverian at BC High — Xaverian could pull the upset and shoot way up the Division 1 South playoff bracket with a win, but BC High will be the favorite.

Tewksbury at Billerica — Will decide the MVC Small title. Both teams pretty strong.

Danvers at Marblehead — Marblehead is unbeaten but hasn't exactly played great lately.

Holliston at Hopkinton — Hopkinton might be the class of the Tri-Valley League, but Holliston is certainly still in the picture.

Wachusett at Nashoba — Two of the best teams in Central Mass. square off.

Bridgewater-Raynham at St. John's Prep — Huge playoff implications for both the Prep and B-R in Division 1 North and Division 2 South, respectively.

Saturday, 10/21

Duxbury at Hingham — Hingham is an improving program, just might not be on the level of Duxbury yet.

Milton Academy at BB&N — Another de facto NEPSAC bowl elimination game. Both teams have a loss and Milton has not played Lawrence Academy yet.

Was able to find some highlights of the Everett kids on YouTube. Check em out and let me know what you think.

Jason Maitre, Sr., WR/DB, Boston College commit

Mike Sainristil, Jr., WR/DB, offers from BC, Virginia Tech, Southern Miss.

Isaiah Likely, Sr., WR, offers from Southern Miss and multiple 1-AAs

Jake Willcox, Jr., QB, at least one 1-AA offer I know of

Kevin Brown, RB/LB, some 1-AA offers

Will throw more up if I find them.

Edit: Likely was just offered by UMass. #bouttime

OK, Eastern Mass. MIAA playoffs about to start. Central and Western not yet. But here's what we have for Eastern Mass.

Top five basically the same:

1. Everett (6-0) — I don't like to bash calpreps, but the fact that this team is No. 5 in the state on that site is comical. An offensive lineman was just offered by UMass, which makes three 1a kids in the senior class and two in the junior class. If you count 1aa then it's around a dozen scholarship kids in the senior and junior classes alone. That's pretty rare for this state. Three of those kids are ACC-offered and one of them has an Ohio State one, among others. Loaded. But fifth in the state in calpreps. Sorry, no way. If the Tide went full tilt on teams they'd be winning by an average of 60-7, and I'm being kind. But the coach pulls his guys and is very much against running up the score. It is what it is.

2. Lawrence Academy (5-0) — Still rolling.

3. Central Catholic (7-0) — Top seed in  Division 1 North. Seems like this team is on a crash course with Everett.

4. St. John's (S) (7-0) — Calpreps has the Pioneers at No. 1, which, although I disagree with, I don't want to take anything away from this team. It has been dominant.

5. BC High (7-0) — Top seed in Division 1 South, in which the Eagles will be a heavy favorite.

Games to watch

Friday, 10/27 (all games at 7 p.m. ET unless otherwise noted)

D1 North quarterfinal, St. John's Prep at Everett — Everett has too much skill, but the Prep has a chance to move the ball a little. Prep is still a year or two away from making a real run.

D1 South quarterfinal, Attleboro at Xaverian — Attleboro is a sneaky tough team in this bracket, but X should probably move on here.

D2 North quarterfinal, Reading at Lincoln-Sudbury — L-S has been smashing teams, but Reading has the talent to make this interesting.

D2 South quarterfinal, Marshfield at Mansfield — Either one of these teams can win the sectional, and even though Marshfield has stumbled a bit, I like the Rams here.

D5 South quarterfinal, Falmouth at Medfield, 6:30 — Falmouth is the 7-seed, but dangerous enough to pull the "upset" here.

D6 South quarterfinal, East Bridgewater at Norwell — East Bridgewater is the 8 seed but just handed Norwell its first loss last weekend. EB won states last year and could be rounding into form.

Saturday, 10/28

Not any great ISL games, but Belmont Hill at Lawrence Academy won't be a bad take.

One other game of note in the NEPSAC realm. Cheshire Academy (Conn.) will travel down to play Bishop Sullivan. BS should win, but Cheshire should put up a better fight than Springfield Central. We'll see, though.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 10:48 AM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Was able to find some highlights of the Everett kids on YouTube. Check em out and let me know what you think.

Jason Maitre, Sr., WR/DB, Boston College commit

Mike Sainristil, Jr., WR/DB, offers from BC, Virginia Tech, Southern Miss.

Isaiah Likely, Sr., WR, offers from Southern Miss and multiple 1-AAs

Jake Willcox, Jr., QB, at least one 1-AA offer I know of

Kevin Brown, RB/LB, some 1-AA offers

Will throw more up if I find them.

Edit: Likely was just offered by UMass. #bouttime

Likely looks the part.  Beast size with strength.  Seems like all his catches were jump balls so was not able to measure his speed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Likely looks the part.  Beast size with strength.  Seems like all his catches were jump balls so was not able to measure his speed.  

From what I understand, the teams that are holding off on him say he’s ‘a step slow.’ But even though he’s not as fast as some of the other guys on the team, he’s 6-5, 225 and can jump through the roof. I would think most teams could use at least one guy like that.

3 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

1. Everett (6-0) — I don't like to bash calpreps, but the fact that this team is No. 5 in the state on that site is comical. 

Calpreps does this every year for Nebraska. They are terrible at ranking the smaller states that don’t play OOS a lot. They have a habit of selecting a random small class team that is blowing out everyone they play 56-0 and ranking them ahead of the bigger schools that have two to three times the depth. They are halfway decent with the larger states. I only use them for research for my own rankings. It is nice to have every team in the country listed with all of their scores. 

Looking forward to Everett/Lawrence Cent. Cath. for the state championship (are they in opposite brackets?) 

Also, does Massachusetts play those Thanksgiving games in the middle of their playoff run like New Jersey does? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Calpreps does this every year for Nebraska. They are terrible at ranking the smaller states that don’t play OOS a lot. They have a habit of selecting a random small class team that is blowing out everyone they play 56-0 and ranking them ahead of the bigger schools that have two to three times the depth. They are halfway decent with the larger states. I only use them for research for my own rankings. It is nice to have every team in the country listed with all of their scores. 

Looking forward to Everett/Lawrence Cent. Cath. for the state championship (are they in opposite brackets?) 

Also, does Massachusetts play those Thanksgiving games in the middle of their playoff run like New Jersey does? 

Most significant teams in NJ doesn't do thanksgiving games anymore

42 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Everett and Central Catholic are both in Division 1 North and would meet in the North final if everything goes as expected. Then the winner of that would face the winner of D1 South, which right now looks like BC High.

Yeah, Massachusetts still has Thanksgiving Day games. They used to be played before the postseason, but when the new playoff was implemented, they occur just before the state title games. This has caused some controversy, as certain teams rest players on Thanksgiving. This happened last year most notably with Duxbury against Marshfield. I covered the game for the Herald. Here's that story:

The Boston Herald

November 25, 2016 Friday 
All Editions

Dragons sit, so angered Rams smash

BYLINE: ADAM KURKJIAN

SECTION: SPORTS; High School; Pg. 64 Vol. 34 No. 330

LENGTH: 424 words

DUXBURY — Although his coach remained a tad more diplomatic, Christian Friedel, after playing his last organized football game, spoke with about as much frustration as one could after a dominant victory.

The Marshfield senior’s beef with Thanksgiving rival Duxbury was that the host Dragons sat all of their starters in the 53-0 rout, making his Rams’ fourth straight win on the holiday ring hollow.

“I’m not going to lie: I was pretty angry about it,” said Friedel, who caught three passes for 129 yards and a 71-yard touchdown as Marshfield raced out to a 40-0 halftime lead. “I thought that they weren’t really respecting us. This game, it’s a big deal. It’s the last time I’m ever going to suit up in pads again.

“I was pretty upset about that and I decided I was just going to play my heart out and show it to whoever came on the field because that’s just how I felt. A couple years ago, we were going to the Super Bowl, too, but we played all of our starters except the ones who were hurt. That’s what I have to say about that.”

Top-ranked Duxbury (11-1), which plays Shrewsbury for the Division 2 state title on Dec. 3 at Gillette Stadium, wanted to protect its health going into that final game, and the result was an unsightly blowout.

“With the three games back-to-back that we had that were super physical and the lack of depth that we have and a couple kids banged up, our kids and our coaches got together and thought it was the best thing for us,” Duxbury coach Dave Maimaron said. “It was awful tough to watch.”

It wasn’t an easy decision.

“Brutal,” said Maimaron, who maintained “the ultimate goal” was to win a state title. “Brutal. I mean, my father showed up, he didn’t believe me when I told him we were going to sit everyone and he showed up today and he started screaming at me.”

The game was never remotely competitive. Marshfield (8-3) outgained Duxbury 382 to minus-15 in the first half. Junior Jack McNeil led Marshfield with 156 yards and an 81-yard touchdown on just six carries along with two touchdown receptions.

Sophomore quarterback Jackson Phinney completed all five of his passes for 132 yards and three touchdowns. Junior Brendan Ward also had a 60-yard punt return.

“I would be dishonest if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed (that Duxbury didn’t play its starters), because I think the only good thing that would have come out of this is that our record would be 8-3,” Marshfield coach Lou Silva said. “But other than that, it’s unfortunate. Things happen, but the other team made the decision and we go with it.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

From what I understand, the teams that are holding off on him say he’s ‘a step slow.’ But even though he’s not as fast as some of the other guys on the team, he’s 6-5, 225 and can jump through the roof. I would think most teams could use at least one guy like that.

He does get after it on jump balls. Maybe as a TE in college with that size?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

He does get after it on jump balls. Maybe as a TE in college with that size?

Maybe. All I know is he's a cheat code in the red zone. Luckily, even without a BC offer right now, he's got Southern Miss and UMass on the table, so he will get to play on that level regardless. But I think BC could use him, too.

On 10/23/2017 at 6:51 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

One other game of note in the NEPSAC realm. Cheshire Academy (Conn.) will travel down to play Bishop Sullivan. BS should win, but Cheshire should put up a better fight than Springfield Central. We'll see, though.

Cheshire is playing a weird schedule this year, with four Canadian teams along with Bishop Sullivan. Did they piss off the other NEPSAC teams somehow?

1 hour ago, MA Fan said:

Cheshire is playing a weird schedule this year, with four Canadian teams along with Bishop Sullivan. Did they piss off the other NEPSAC teams somehow?

I'm not sure what the story is there, but a lot of schools dropped them. At the beginning of the year, the Cheshire coach didn't even know whether or not his team would be eligible for a bowl. Not sure if that has changed, but it's very strange.

Everett is up 28-0 after a quarter against St. John's Prep. This is what I'm talking about when it comes to this team. There's a chance the final score is something like 42-14 or closer simply because the Everett coach calls off the dogs. But, sure, this isn't even a top 10 team in New England according to calpreps. It's silly.

• Like 3

49-14 final. Colleague who covered the game said Prep AD and coach said this is the best Everett team they've ever seen (there have been many ... program closing in on 800 wins). Likely caught two passes, both for touchdowns, for 110 yards. Everett QB Jake Willcox 4-of-6 for 226 yards and three touchdowns. Everett coach John DiBiaso with his 300th career win.

But, sure, the best Everett team in the modern era wouldn't crack the top 10 in New England this year.