Reflections from a BG fan, supporter & parent

Gridiron Godfather

I could make excuses I’ve heard from some like:

“We got out Gormon -ed” – a shot at the fact MD has rumored over 50 transfers

- We’ve been on the right side of transfers many times

“Unlike, MD, we have never waited until the stars align to finally step up and play someone” – BG has been trying for 7 years to get them on the schedule

- teams like MD haven’t needed to schedule big OOS like us, in fact looking back at it, assuming they take care of business the rest of the year, this game was not necessary for a MNC & shows some balls

Instead, I’ll share my honest thoughts and feelings.  I have to admit it was a weird, unfamiliar feeling after that loss.  Haven’t felt like that in 4 years.  Anyone who watched the game knows it could have been a lot worse.  The early fumble & numerous drops by MD all kept us in the game.  We have a few weak spots – compared to past BG teams - and they were victimized Friday. 

I am proud though of the way we did not give up and I honestly felt when we got it within 7, that we had changed the momentum and were setting up for another BG comeback, 2nd half win.  But to MD’s credit they quickly struck that notion down.  Both our Frosh & JV teams beat MD the next day & the varsity boys, although a bit banged up, seem in good spirits and are now focused on Miami Central.  How these next 2 weeks go will tell a lot about them as a team.  Really the only "potential" competition after the next 2 games for BG could come from Arbor View or a team up North in the State Championship.  All Vegas teams are down this year. 

I wore a BG football shirt yesterday running around town getting some errands done.  Funny how no one really had a comment the last few years, but yesterday I was approached by at least 5 people.  Comments like “you guys finally lost”, “it’s about time” & even “ha ha, you guys got you’re a** kicked” – and that’s from Vegas folks.  But I, like the team, kept my head high and shrugged it off.  After all, it’s been 4 years, 55 games, 4 state championships & 3 national championships since they could make those comments.

Good luck to MD the rest of the season, get healed up for the rest of the run & keep that QB healthy for next year ;)

• Like 8

Good post. 

Every streak has to end eventually, and, there was no shame in losing to a team like this one, although, I'm not sure that I would have wanted to play them since they waited until they did have the "once in a generation" type team to finally schedule the game with you guys. That's no way to schedule in all honesty, they should be willing to play even when they aren't totally brimming with monster talent. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

“Unlike, MD, we have never waited until the stars align to finally step up and play someone” – BG has been trying for 7 years to get them on the schedule

- teams like MD haven’t needed to schedule big OOS like us, in fact looking back at it, assuming they take care of business the rest of the year, this game was not necessary for a MNC & shows some balls

Instead, I’ll share my honest thoughts and feelings.  I have to admit it was a weird, unfamiliar feeling after that loss.  Haven’t felt like that in 4 years.  Anyone who watched the game knows it could have been a lot worse.  The early fumble & numerous drops by MD all kept us in the game.  We have a few weak spots – compared to past BG teams - and they were victimized Friday. 

I am proud though of the way we did not give up and I honestly felt when we got it within 7, that we had changed the momentum and were setting up for another BG comeback, 2nd half win.  But to MD’s credit they quickly struck that notion down.  Both our Frosh & JV teams beat MD the next day & the varsity boys, although a bit banged up, seem in good spirits and are now focused on Miami Central.  How these next 2 weeks go will tell a lot about them as a team.  Really the only "potential" competition after the next 2 games for BG could come from Arbor View or a team up North in the State Championship.  All Vegas teams are down this year. 

I wore a BG football shirt yesterday running around town getting some errands done.  Funny how no one really had a comment the last few years, but yesterday I was approached by at least 5 people.  Comments like “you guys finally lost”, “it’s about time” & even “ha ha, you guys got you’re a** kicked” – and that’s from Vegas folks.  But I, like the team, kept my head high and shrugged it off.  After all, it’s been 4 years, 55 games, 4 state championships & 3 national championships since they could make those comments.

Good luck to MD the rest of the season, get healed up for the rest of the run & keep that QB healthy for next year ;)

Good stuff brother. Can you answer what the deal is with refusing to shake hands and why Sanchez allows it? Not sure how close you are to the program and could shed some light on it.

15 minutes ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

Know the feeling; been there. Good luck to your team the rest of the way except on 9/16

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Good post. 

Every streak has to end eventually, and, there was no shame in losing to a team like this one, although, I'm not sure that I would have wanted to play them since they waited until they did have the "once in a generation" type team to finally schedule the game with you guys. That's no way to schedule in all honesty, they should be willing to play even when they aren't totally brimming with monster talent. 

Why would you want a team that's not winning or even getting to Championships scheduling a top national team? 

2012 and 2013 Mater Dei, I'd have no problem with if they scheduled a good OOS team, but not a power. Someone like Hoover, Curtis, Colerain, Xavier etc...... Would be fine, but not a BG, STA etc....... annually. 

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

Why would you want a team that's not winning or even getting to Championships scheduling a top national team? 

2012 and 2013 Mater Dei, I'd have no problem with if they scheduled a good OOS team, but not a power. Someone like Hoover, Curtis, Colerain, Xavier etc...... Would be fine, but not a BG, STA etc....... annually. 

On this board, it's a lose/lose situation. You schedule it and don't win, you are overrated. You don't schedule it, you are ducking and waiting until you have the "squad". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, steeler01 said:

I just think that it isn't fair to wait until you think you have the better team to schedule an opponent that has tried to schedule you before. It's not right if you wait until they are down or you are sure you can win. If you are considered a regional power then you should always attempt to schedule the other regional powers in your area, not only when you have the "once in a generation" team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Good stuff brother. Can you answer what the deal is with refusing to shake hands and why Sanchez allows it? Not sure how close you are to the program and could shed some light on it.

Don't know where that came from.  I didn't hear anything about it & my son said he thought they did.  If that indeed happened, it would surprise me with this group.  Some of the past players I could see, but these guys no

1 minute ago, PrepGridiron said:

On this board, it's a lose/lose situation. You schedule it and don't win, you are overrated. You don't schedule it, you are ducking and waiting until you have the "squad". 

I'm not trying to belittle or anything. See my last post. Teams should be willing to take the lumps imo. Not wait until they feel like they have the win in the bag so to speak. 

This does go both ways though. 

Regional powers should play other regional powers annually, as long as the economics make sense. For instance, it would seem much easier for Mater Dei to play BG annually than VM to play in Georgia. It doesn't even have to be the same opponent each year, just another regional power. 

In this instance, it seems like Mater Dei waited for the perfect opportunity. Maybe that isn't what happened at all. Looks that way from Georgia though. :P

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Good post. 

TRUTH be known, neither of these coaches could get a job as a dogcatcher in SOWEGA! A trained chimp could coach an all star team! UNIMPRESSED with ANYONE who formulates their teams in this fashion! Try coaching a buncha kids from a local environment sometime! And see how they match up with the big dogs!

As an aside, with a little more offensive production and consistency! THIS Colquitt County team(said to be a year away) COULD go 10-0 and beyond!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

The problem is MD never schedules like this... 

Hell even last year the schedule was weak. 

MD rarely schedules up like this... 

• Like 1

We appreciated the opportunity to play the top team in the country over the past 4 years.   

Our previous asst AD in charge of scheduling had issues with the fax machine and we let her go after last year. Think she returned to Ga.

Once  we realized that BG wanted a game, we immediately accepted even though we had lost 11of 12 defensive guys.  We also accepted a game vs. New York area  top team, and a top Nor Cal SBG team 

Next year we will travel to Vegas.  We annually play as good if schedule as anyone in the country.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

TRUTH be known, neither of these coaches could get a job as a dogcatcher in SOWEGA! A trained chimp could coach an all star team! UNIMPRESSED with ANYONE who formulates their teams in this fashion! Try coaching a buncha kids from a local environment sometime! And see how they match up with the big dogs!

As an aside, with a little more offensive production and consistency! THIS Colquitt County team(said to be a year away) COULD go 10-0 and beyond!

Rab - were you that guy at Loews yesterday who made one of those comments to me

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

The problem is MD never schedules like this... 

Hell even last year the schedule was weak. 

MD rarely schedules up like this... 

Mater Dei prior to last season hadn't gone undefeated during the regular season since 1998. Obviously they're not dominating their schedule, so why go look for OOS powers?

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The OP claims they've been trying to schedule Mater Dei for 7 years. 7 years goes back a bit before 2014 and the natty run they've been on.

The only Mater Dei teams that should've played BG were the 2012-2013 and 2016-2017 teams. The rest, couldn't even make the finals in the Southern Section.

• Like 1

Just now, steeler01 said:

The only Mater Dei teams that should've played BG were the 2012-2013 and 2016-2017 teams. The rest, couldn't even make the finals in the Southern Section.

Did Mater Dei know this though? 

I mean in hind sight, it's easy to say these things. I would think they go into each season thinking or hoping they make the finals. Schedule up and get stronger. Maybe had they played BG some of those years, even had they lost, they could have learned how to get by SJB etc. 

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Did Mater Dei know this though? 

I mean in hind sight, it's easy to say these things. I would think they go into each season thinking or hoping they make the finals. Schedule up and get stronger. Maybe had they played BG some of those years, even had they lost, they could have learned how to get by SJB etc. 

In 2014 they were 2nd round losers

in 2015 they were 10-3 semi final losers.

They played CC early in the season in 2015 and lost to them in the semi's. 

In 2012 and 2013 I think Mater Dei beats Gorman but those two didn't play.

1 hour ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

Don't know where that came from.  I didn't hear anything about it & my son said he thought they did.  If that indeed happened, it would surprise me with this group.  Some of the past players I could see, but these guys no

The teams did shake hands before the coin toss. Just ignore the liar. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

Good post GG.  So much of it reminded me of the melancholy/surreal feeling around the DLS loss in 2004, when folks talked about how DLS got out DLS'd, and my surprise at some of the locals taking some glee in how DLS finally got it's ass kicked (I'm not even a DLS guy and this surprised me).  

One point I can start to shed some light on is the MD transfer situation.  While I do believe transfers have changed HS football forever, and rare will be the team that competes for MNC's without em going forward, I also believe that toothpaste is not going back into that tube .  So lots of transfers are our increasing reality now, at this point it's probably time to just be honest and accurate about what's going on (frankly the last couple years some of your BG posting brothers were not exactly direct on this and got a little sensitive and evasive about the question).

I believe the source of the MD 50 transfer rumor was a tweet put out by Eric Sondheimer on Saturday morning:

Before anybody jumps to conclusions, read the responses to that tweet.  One of the claims is that there were 52 transfers into MD total for all reasons and 'only' 6 were for football.  This is some research we can do as the season unfolds.  There is a CIF website we can look into when we get bored. Or, someone from MD could just step up and be straight about it. 

Also, USAT put out an article about how transfers are changing HS football back in early August.  Here is the link:

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/elite-high-school-football-players-transfer

Anyway GG, thanks for sharing that post.  As grid put it, good luck to you the rest of the way except on 9/16! (I have concerns)  But mostly, one dad to another, enjoy this ride with your son, HS sports are really special and it'll be over before you know it, and it's not quite the same when they are playing in college.

• Like 3