Texas 2017

Shady12

I couldn't find an all-encompassing Texas thread for this year. Guess there aren't as many Texans here anymore.

I don't know as much about other regions but here's my Texas region 1 ranking right now:

1. Allen
2. DeSoto
3. Odessa Permian
4. Cedar Hill
5. Duncanville
6. Hewitt Midway
7. Southlake Carroll
8. Denton Guyer
9. Arlington Martin
10. Euless Trinity

Below is the San Angelo Central vs. Abilene full game from this past Friday. Both teams are "reloading" this year after losing a ton. Were top 10 6A teams last year. These two teams 98th overall meeting since 1910. San Angelo won 42-28. Sloppy on both sides especially in the first half as it was the first game of the season. 1080p and looks great but laughable Abilene announcing. Kickoff is 11 minutes into the video.

For Central, the QB is one to watch. 6'3" 195 junior Maverick McIvor who made his first start. His dad is former UT and St. Louis Cardinals QB Rick McIvor. He'll end up getting a lot of recruiting pub. #14 6'5" 215 senior WR Teeter has offers from Texas State and Ivy League schools. Recruited as a TE. WR #1 Jesse Scott is a senior and is unknown as he moved over from a smaller school but he's going to be big time. 4.4 speed, 6'2" and is good on jump balls. Not much else as it comes to major college recruits so far as both teams only returned 15-20 lettermen from last year. #1 Raekwon Millsap for Abilene is a really good WR and DB. They actually have a few guys going both ways which you don't see a lot in 6A.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

I couldn't find an all-encompassing Texas thread for this year. Guess there aren't as many Texans here anymore.

I don't know as much about other regions but here's my Texas region 1 ranking right now:

1. Allen
2. DeSoto
3. Odessa Permian
4. Cedar Hill
5. Duncanville
6. Hewitt Midway
7. Southlake Carroll
8. Denton Guyer
9. Arlington Martin
10. Euless Trinity

Below is the San Angelo Central vs. Abilene full game from this past Friday. Both teams are "reloading" this year after losing a ton. Were top 10 6A teams last year. These two teams 98th overall meeting since 1910. San Angelo won 42-28. Sloppy on both sides especially in the first half as it was the first game of the season. 1080p and looks great but laughable Abilene announcing. Kickoff is 11 minutes into the video.

For Central, the QB is one to watch. 6'3" 195 junior Maverick McIvor who made his first start. His dad is former UT and St. Louis Cardinals QB Rick McIvor. He'll end up getting a lot of recruiting pub. #14 6'5" 215 senior WR Teeter has offers from Texas State and Ivy League schools. Recruited as a TE. WR #1 Jesse Scott is a senior and is unknown as he moved over from a smaller school but he's going to be big time. 4.4 speed, 6'2" and is good on jump balls. Not much else as it comes to major college recruits so far as both teams only returned 15-20 lettermen from last year. #1 Raekwon Millsap for Abilene is a really good WR and DB. They actually have a few guys going both ways which you don't see a lot in 6A.

I see you're high on OP.  I don't know that squeaker over Vandy has me taking a pause.  But then again it's only week 1.

30 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I see you're high on OP.  I don't know that squeaker over Vandy has me taking a pause.  But then again it's only week 1.

They should be extremely good, but we'll see. They had three turnovers that lead to scores and should have beat them worse. Vandy a solid team though. I doubt they make those kinds of mistakes after last week.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

I think it's a name that everyone's going to know.

Shady here is how the Coaches have each region ranked in all classes.  In Region 1 Desoto and Guyer go at it this Friday.  Did you guys see what Emmitt Smith's kid @ Jesuit did against Desoto. Kid went off. 

http://www.theathleticsdepartment.com/football/poll/coaches/

5 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I like it. Please provide weekly if you can. 

PS...the other TX posters left after the BG and Liberty victories last season. Many were rough on them. You're turn! 

Not true no one cared about that. BG was the best recruited team in the nation and was supposed to kill  #9 in Texas CH.  And Westlake couldn't beat many teams without their QB and lost many that year.

In  fact  it is common for a top ranked team in the nation to come to Texas and not play anywhere near a topped ranked team from Texas. Texas knows they are the king at legit genuine football and so do the teams that come to get tested.   I am not impressed when a team built by blue chippers from 50 states beats a 10th ranked team from one state are you?

4 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Shady here is how the Coaches have each region ranked in all classes.  In Region 1 Desoto and Guyer go at it this Friday.  Did you guys see what Emmitt Smith's kid @ Jesuit did against Desoto. Kid went off. 

http://www.theathleticsdepartment.com/football/poll/coaches/

I forgot his kid went there; interesting enough, they beat desoto on the stat sheet.  Jesuit may not be a pushover this year.  

6A ****Region 1**** update.

Scores from my top 10 of last week-

1. Allen beat Evangel Christian 28-7
2. DeSoto beat #8 Denton Guyer 42-13
3. Odessa Permian beat El Paso Franklin 42-14
4. Cedar Hill lost to Mansfield 38-21 (I would have had Mansfield at #11)
5. Duncanville beat Arlington Sam Houston 48-0
6. Hewitt Midway beat Round Rock Cedar Ridge 34-19
7. Southlake Carroll lost to #9 Arlington Martin 50-33
8. Denton Guyer lost to #2 DeSoto 42-13
9. Arlington Martin beat #7 Southlake Carroll 50-33
10. Euless Trinity beat Montgomery 39-6

Other scores of interest-

Arlington 37, Flower Mound Marcus 14

San Angelo Central 36, Byron Nelson 10

Midland Lee 49, Abilene 14

Amarillo Tascosa 42, Plainview 24

Plano East 41, Dallas Jesuit 30

Keller Fossil Ridge 42, Flower Mound 30

South Grand Prairie 21, Arlington Lamar 17

Cedar Hill is 0-2 and struggling a bit for now but they'll get things going... I almost put Mansfield in the top 10 last week. Still not 100% sold on them YET as being as good as you'd think after looking at the scores from the first two games... Allen needs to get their passing game going... Permian has one of the best defenses in the region but a lot of turnovers on offense making scores closer than they should be. Have to drop them a bit for now until they clean that up... Martin has looked really good and that's an impressive win over SLC... Same for DeSoto over Guyer... San Angelo is a team that is "reloading" after losing a ton off a strong team last year, but looks to have some potential to make noise later in the season... Midland Lee's score over Abilene is eye-popping, but Abilene is looking really down this year. That said, Lee has been a team I've seen as a possible big surprise team out of region 1 since the off-season started. We'll see if they keep it up, they don't play a decent team until San Angelo in their 7th game... Arlington I've looked at similar to Lee. They've been better than Lee the last few years, but Arlington may have their best team in quite awhile.

--

My top 10 after week 2 (based on how they are RIGHT NOW, not future potential or how they'll be at the end of the year or anything)-

1. Allen
2. DeSoto
3. Duncanville
4. Arlington Martin
5. Odessa Permian
6. Hewitt Midway
7. Mansfield
8. Arlington
9. Euless Trinity
10. Denton Guyer

Lee, Fossil Ridge, and a couple others I considered for #10 along with Guyer. Guyer lost big, but DeSoto when on is nigh unbeatable, and I don't believe in any of the other teams in consideration yet.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

6A Region 1 update.

Scores from my top 10 of last week-

1. Allen beat Evangel Christian 28-7
2. DeSoto beat #8 Denton Guyer 42-13
3. Odessa Permian beat El Paso Franklin 42-14
4. Cedar Hill lost to Mansfield 38-21 (I would have had Mansfield at #11)
5. Duncanville beat Arlington Sam Houston 48-0
6. Hewitt Midway beat Round Rock Cedar Ridge 34-19
7. Southlake Carroll lost to #9 Arlington Martin 50-33
8. Denton Guyer lost to #2 DeSoto 42-13
9. Arlington Martin beat #7 Southlake Carroll 50-33
10. Euless Trinity beat Montgomery 39-6

Other scores of interest-

Arlington 37, Flower Mound Marcus 14

San Angelo Central 36, Byron Nelson 10

Midland Lee 49, Abilene 14

Amarillo Tascosa 42, Plainview 24

Plano East 41, Dallas Jesuit 30

Keller Fossil Ridge 42, Flower Mound 30

South Grand Prairie 21, Arlington Lamar 17

Cedar Hill is 0-2 and struggling a bit for now but they'll get things going... I almost put Mansfield in the top 10 last week. Still not 100% sold on them YET as being as good as you'd think after looking at the scores from the first two games... Allen needs to get their passing game going... Permian has one of the best defenses in the region but a lot of turnovers on offense making scores closer than they should be. Have to drop them a bit for now until they clean that up... Martin has looked really good and that's an impressive win over SLC... Same for DeSoto over Guyer... San Angelo is a team that is "reloading" after losing a ton off a strong team last year, but looks to have some potential to make noise later in the season... Midland Lee's score over Abilene is eye-popping, but Abilene is looking really down this year. That said, Lee has been a team I've seen as a possible big surprise team out of region 1 since the off-season started. We'll see if they keep it up, they don't play a decent team until San Angelo in their 7th game... Arlington I've looked at similar to Lee. They've been better than Lee the last few years, but Arlington may have their best team in quite awhile.

--

My top 10 after week 2 (based on how they are RIGHT NOW, not future potential or how they'll be at the end of the year or anything)-

1. Allen
2. DeSoto
3. Duncanville
4. Arlington Martin
5. Odessa Permian
6. Hewitt Midway
7. Mansfield
8. Arlington
9. Euless Trinity
10. Denton Guyer

Lee, Fossil Ridge, and a couple others I considered for #10 along with Guyer. Guyer lost big, but DeSoto when on is nigh unbeatable, and I don't believe in any of the other teams in consideration yet.

I like the list but would replace ET and guyer with Plano and Carroll 

Texas is the best state for football - period.  No other state can match the combo of talent & gameplay they have throughout their top teams.  Cali is right behind them followed by GA and then LA and Ohio in no particular order.  I think the next tier would be Jersey, SC, AL and PA.

The top talent is in South FL but those teams are hot messes who never have QB's or even the ability to punt on special teams.  To us fans who like seeing good quality football, you guys in  TX are lucky 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Longview and John Tyler have started strong. You know both of those teams will win 11-13 games and a couple playoff games,

Why no love for East TX in general?

What's so great about? 

5. Odessa Permian
6. Hewitt Midway

I'm just doing this for region one since it's what I follow closely. Longview and JT are region two.

There are 32 districts in each class, eight districts in the four regions. 

In 6A districts 1-8 are region one. District one is the only 6A El Paso district. District two is West Texas and panhandle teams, known historically as the Little Southwest Conference- teams from Midland, Odessa, San Angelo (formerly and usually Abilene, and one Lubbock area and Amarillo team right now). Districts 3-7 are DFW districts, and district eight is the Centex district (Killeen, Midway, Belton, etc.). There are yet two more 6A DFW districts but they're in region 2.

Permian returned 18 starters off a 6-4 team that missed the playoffs due to an unbelievable rash of injuries. The year before they were 10-1. Their defense is extremely good. 

Midway is always good. They've been impressive so far and have a great QB.

This is only one region but all the teams I've talked about are very good. The amount of good teams in Texas is what's amazing.

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Ok, I know you have downplayed SAC, but they have started off well.  Why aren't you considering them as a top 10 R1 team?

do you really think there is that much difference NOW between SAC and OP?

Good questions.

San Angelo returned five starters and 20 lettermen only. Doesn't mean they won't be good, but it's hard to gauge them until they play someone and the first game against a possible good team will be against Midland Lee which isn't until their 6th game.

The difference with Permian is they're more of a known commodity due to how many and who they return. Eyeballing scores Permian hasn't been much more impressive if any more impressive than San Angelo, but I think if the two teams played now Permian would win. Permian, with an injury-riddled squad, played that great 2016 Bobcat team to 28-14 and completely stifled their run game. Their front seven is beastly.

I have San Angelo in the 13-15 range right now. I expect them to end up in the R1 top 10 though. They are thin past the starting 22 but they have some talent. They are finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot on offense. IF they work that out they'll be tough. Potentially great QB and their coaching staff is top notch-  they always overachieve when considering their talent level. You look at their holes in the off-season and it's amazing who they plug in and don't miss a beat. Like a backup slot WR from last year who's now a starting DE, and a kid who was a QB growing up, moved to backup DE as a sophomore and as a junior is the starting RT. If they win their fifth straight district crown it will be well-earned and the most impressive so far just due to being a bit raw and being maybe the best competition they've faced in district over that span.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 10:14 AM, TheRealCAJ said:

Longview and John Tyler have started strong. You know both of those teams will win 11-13 games and a couple playoff games,

Why no love for East TX in general?

What's so great about? 

5. Odessa Permian
6. Hewitt Midway

Yeah....explain #6....Some people got on my case because I said they were better than Duncanville...

One poster even said Midway was basically Garbage....So I want your take...