Texas 2017

Shady12

Getting to this a little late this week, but here's my 6A Region I update.

Last week:

1. Allen defeated Denton Guyer 45-7
2. Duncanville defeated South Grand Prairie 28-14
3. DeSoto defeated Irving 28-0
4. Hewitt Midway defeated Belton 53-42
5. Mansfield defeated Arlington Lamar 30-7
6. Arlington Martin defeated Arlington Sam Houston 59-21
7. Odessa Permian defeated Amarillo Tascosa 49-7
8. Arlington defeated Arlington Bowie 42-27
9. Lewisville Hebron defeated Flower Mound 34-21
10. San Angelo Central defeated Wolfforth Frenship 49-14

Other scores of interest-

Midland Lee 28, Odessa 21

McKinney 63, Plano East 50

Southlake Carroll 35, Flower Mound Marcus 21

Keller Fossil Ridge 38, Haltom 13

Euless Trinity 48, Hurst L.D. Bell 0

This week-

1. Allen
2. Duncanville
3. DeSoto
4. Odessa Permian
5. Hewitt Midway
6. Mansfield
7. Arlington Martin
8. Arlington
9. Lewisville Hebron
10. Euless Trinity

On the outside looking in- San Angelo Central, Southlake Carroll, Keller Fossil Ridge

The entire top 10 won last Friday but there's still a small shakeup, mainly jumping Permian over three teams. Permian put in a dominant performance over a solid team and may be finally coming together. Trinity seems to be coming together so they sneak in with San Angelo dropping back out. San Angelo is in injury trouble, which is bad timing with Permian coming in. A few more starters dropped Friday. They could be without about 25% of their starters for the rest of the year and they don't have a lot of depth. We'll see if they can hold it together. I'd bunch 7 through 10 + San Angelo and Carroll in a very tight bunch right now. It will be interesting to see how Hebron does vs. Trinity and Carroll over the next few weeks.

Some huge games this week. DeSoto vs. Duncanville, San Angelo Central vs. Permian (I'll be there), Trinity vs. Hebron, Allen vs. McKinney, Fossil Ridge vs. Keller Central

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shady12 said:

Getting to this a little late this week, but here's my 6A Region I update.

Last week:

1. Allen defeated Denton Guyer 45-7
2. Duncanville defeated South Grand Prairie 28-14
3. DeSoto defeated Irving 28-0
4. Hewitt Midway defeated Belton 53-42
5. Mansfield defeated Arlington Lamar 30-7
6. Arlington Martin defeated Arlington Sam Houston 59-21
7. Odessa Permian defeated Amarillo Tascosa 49-7
8. Arlington defeated Arlington Bowie 42-27
9. Lewisville Hebron defeated Flower Mound 34-21
10. San Angelo Central defeated Wolfforth Frenship 49-14

Other scores of interest-

Midland Lee 28, Odessa 21

McKinney 63, Plano East 50

Southlake Carroll 35, Flower Mound Marcus 21

Keller Fossil Ridge 38, Haltom 13

Euless Trinity 48, Hurst L.D. Bell 0

This week-

1. Allen
2. Duncanville
3. DeSoto
4. Odessa Permian
5. Hewitt Midway
6. Mansfield
7. Arlington Martin
8. Arlington
9. Lewisville Hebron
10. Euless Trinity

On the outside looking in- San Angelo Central, Southlake Carroll, Keller Fossil Ridge

The entire top 10 won last Friday but there's still a small shakeup, mainly jumping Permian over three teams. Permian put in a dominant performance over a solid team and may be finally coming together. Trinity seems to be coming together so they sneak in with San Angelo dropping back out. San Angelo is in injury trouble, which is bad timing with Permian coming in. A few more starters dropped Friday. They could be without about 25% of their starters for the rest of the year and they don't have a lot of depth. We'll see if they can hold it together. I'd bunch 7 through 10 + San Angelo and Carroll in a very tight bunch right now. It will be interesting to see how Hebron does vs. Trinity and Carroll over the next few weeks.

Some huge games this week. DeSoto vs. Duncanville, San Angelo Central vs. Permian (I'll be there), Trinity vs. Hebron, Allen vs. McKinney, Fossil Ridge vs. Keller Central

Lol, I see what you did there.  Underrate SAC so their win over OP will look like a major upset Jk.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Who are your picks?

San Angelo --  Going with the homefield in this one...My friend's father-in-law is a Permian alum....I'm sure I'll catch flak for this pick lol...

Desoto --  Very hard to go against Samples (Legendary Coach you can't help but like)...But it seems like Desoto steps up when their backs are against the wall...Here's hoping they step up again...

Judson --- Julon Williams....Enough said...

Bobcats physically dominated Permian and won 31-20. 31-13 then a bad call on a non-fumble gave Permian the ball at the end deep in our territory. On 4th down they scored to make it 31-20 with 21 seconds left. Fifth straight win for us over Permian. We just have their number and have their flexbone figured out. They got behind and had to throw, which they can't do- but they can get sacked a lot.

Here's an interview with San Angelo Central Coach Brent Davis that has some of the highlights in the background. That stick at :25 really set a tone.

5 hours ago, Shady12 said:

Bobcats physically dominated Permian and won 31-20. 31-13 then a bad call on a non-fumble gave Permian the ball at the end deep in our territory. On 4th down they scored to make it 31-20 with 21 seconds left. Fifth straight win for us over Permian. We just have their number and have their flexbone figured out. They got behind and had to throw, which they can't do- but they can get sacked a lot.

Here's an interview with San Angelo Central Coach Brent Davis that has some of the highlights in the background. That stick at :25 really set a tone.

Congrats, good win, SAC is gonna make some noise in R1D2.  

10 minutes ago, Cracker said:

Looking forward to SAC coming out to Allen this time. :) NVM... SAC is D2 this year!? Oh well...

I for one am glad to avoid that. That'd be the last place a team would want to play a playoff game. I doubt we'd go D1 next year either. I'd love to schedule a non-district home and home with Allen though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frosty4024 said:

I almost forgot about the bravest coin flip this decade...

That wasn't brave at all IMO. A neutral site wouldn't have been much better than Allen, especially since Allen had already booked McLane which is a lot closer to Allen than SA. If they'd decided to do neutral they still might have lost a flip for the neutral site and had to go to Waco. Central would have chosen Austin or San Antonio as the neutral site and if they'd won the flip for that... It would be almost as far as going to Allen. Home and home flips make a lot of sense for San Angelo. So if you want to try for a home and home flip, the options are- San Angelo, Allen, Waco, Austin, San Antonio. The last four are different degrees bad for San Angelo. The first one is very good for San Angelo. May as well try to get the one good option since none of the others are any good with a minimum of 3.5-4 hours travel. The week before they traveled four hours to Keller after losing a home and home flip. If they'd gone neutral for that one the travel would have still been as far as Keller. They travel more than any other 6A program all year so after 12 games of it you try to get relief if you can get it. 

5 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

It looks like we'll see LT vs Judson, Part II, in the playoffs. 

I hope LTs defense has improved a lot as judsons has.  They are also getting these wins the past few games without Julon Williams, sitting him out until closer to the playoffs to make sure he's completely healthy.

29 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

That wasn't brave at all IMO. A neutral site wouldn't have been much better than Allen, especially since Allen had already booked McLane which is a lot closer to Allen than SA. If they'd decided to do neutral they still might have lost a flip for the neutral site and had to go to Waco. Central would have chosen Austin or San Antonio as the neutral site and if they'd won the flip for that... It would be almost as far as going to Allen. Home and home flips make a lot of sense for San Angelo. So if you want to try for a home and home flip, the options are- San Angelo, Allen, Waco, Austin, San Antonio. The last four are different degrees bad for San Angelo. The first one is very good for San Angelo. May as well try to get the one good option since none of the others are any good with a minimum of 3.5-4 hours travel. The week before they traveled four hours to Keller after losing a home and home flip. If they'd gone neutral for that one the travel would have still been as far as Keller. They travel more than any other 6A program all year so after 12 games of it you try to get relief if you can get it. 

While all that may be true (West Texas teams are used to traveling)...Yall took the risk of playing Allen in their own stadium...Without any travel at all...

Being that not many teams have won there lately...

That's a pretty risky move imo...

But it worked out and what's done is done...

24 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I hope LTs defense has improved a lot as judsons has.  They are also getting these wins the past few games without Julon Williams, sitting him out until closer to the playoffs to make sure he's completely healthy.

It appears the defense is getting better, but it's hard to tell. I thought the defense for sure would be better after a bye week, leading into the Westlake game. What I like the most is the fact that the running game is being examined. Two things this team needs to make a run: defense and an ability to effectively run the football. 

If they can get those down, then they'll have a real shot to beat Judson. I would expect game two to be more... methodical, if you will. Execute-score-stop. If they took care of the ball (and did the three things I just listed), there is a decent chance they win. 

In order to beat Judson, they have to play great defense early (which means getting STOPS) and score on every possession. Build a lead, make Judson play from behind. And continue to play great defense. 

Here's to an LT victory 🥂

40 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

While all that may be true (West Texas teams are used to traveling)...Yall took the risk of playing Allen in their own stadium...Without any travel at all...

Being that not many teams have won there lately...

That's a pretty risky move imo...

But it worked out and what's done is done...

You have to weigh it all. After all I laid out that's a no-brainer chance to take. Not many teams have beat Allen anywhere lately. Sure, even tougher in Allen, but with all I laid about above it's a reasonable chance to take. They're the only team to beat San Angelo in San Angelo in the last 25 home games there dating back five years. So that was factored in as well. Not even just talking about West Texas travel. El Paso, Petroplex, Lubbock, and Amarillo teams get to play multiple "road" games without leaving home. We travel two to five hours for them all and it's rough. Tascosa, for example, is way up there in the panhandle but they didn't even leave Amarillo until their sixth game of the year. Permian only has two true road games this year and before last night hadn't had to leave home in six weeks. In that time San Angelo has traveled to Killeen (four hours), Lubbock (3.5 hours) and Odessa (2.5 hours).