TheCompPoll - 2023 Final Rankings Released

dntn31

On 10/17/2023 at 6:45 AM, dntn31 said:

Bishop Gorman moves to #1 in the Week 8 composite rankings.

Of the 8 national polls and rankings, here are the new #1s:

• Bishop Gorman - USAToday, MaxPreps, SBLive, SCNext
  • St. John Bosco - CalPreps, HSFA, BlueStarMedia
  • Mater Dei - Massey

Can we toss out Calpreps at this point? It is obviously skewed towards the Trinity League and CA teams. 

• Confused 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:44 PM, Omaha Vol said:

I think STA would win if they played again. It’s really that simple. 

Maybe.

Consider this. Cocoa's strength of schedule if tougher than STA's. They played STA at STA. Cocoa is ranked #2 in Florida, according to the FHSAA.  Chaminade-Madonna (Hollywood, FL) is #1.

I believe that if they play 10 games with the same players on a neutral field, Cocoa wins more than 1 or 2.

In other words, this years Cocoa team is playing at a top national level. Plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch2 said:

In other words, this years Cocoa team is playing at a top national level. Plain and simple.

I agree. This is one of the best Cocoa teams I’ve seen in a long time. FL is stacked this year on the top end. They have 6 to 7 teams (if you count IMG) in the top 30 right now. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch2 said:

For what it is worth... IMG is top in Florida but not listed as a Florida team. Not sure who would win if CM played IMG.

That would be a hell of a game. I’d like to see C-M take another crack at Gorman in the GEICO this year. I think the outcome would be a lot better this year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cat_Scratch2 said:

Maybe.

Consider this. Cocoa's strength of schedule if tougher than STA's. They played STA at STA. Cocoa is ranked #2 in Florida, according to the FHSAA.  Chaminade-Madonna (Hollywood, FL) is #1.

I believe that if they play 10 games with the same players on a neutral field, Cocoa wins more than 1 or 2.

Now having 8 games to reflect on, I think I can draw some conclusions.

Cocoa benefitted immensely from SJB playing STA first. They exposed their weak/green edge players and threw a bunch of bubbles and tunnels. What's Cocoa's bread and butter? Screens. In fact that's all Ryan Schneider seems to know how to do.

A mere year earlier STA running clocked them. I think this team is worse than 2022 but I'm not sure to what degree yet. The biggest takeaway so far is that Cocoa just matched up well with STA's weakness this year.

So Cocoa may win *more* than 2 out of 10 games against STA but it wouldn't matter because it's just a matchup advantage. Similar to how STA dominated a better Treasure Coast team this year than they did last year due to similar circumstances.

Also, you're not playing to a "top national level" if you only beat Jones by 2, Venice by 10 and only beat teams like Titusville and Eau Gallie, 28-3.

Offense is one-dimensional and the defense isn't that good.

7 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Cocoa benefitted immensely from SJB playing STA first. They exposed their weak/green edge players and threw a bunch of bubbles and tunnels. What's Cocoa's bread and butter? Screens. In fact that's all Ryan Schneider seems to know how to do.

A mere year earlier STA running clocked them. I think this team is worse than 2022 but I'm not sure to what degree yet. The biggest takeaway so far is that Cocoa just matched up well with STA's weakness this year.

So Cocoa may win *more* than 2 out of 10 games against STA but it wouldn't matter because it's just a matchup advantage. Similar to how STA dominated a better Treasure Coast team this year than they did last year due to similar circumstances.

Also, you're not playing to a "top national level" if you only beat Jones by 2, Venice by 10 and only beat teams like Titusville and Eau Gallie, 28-3.

Venice is a decent team and will compete with any team.

Eau Gallie is better this year than you think they are.

Cocoa was beating STA 16-14 going in the lockers at halftime... why?

AND YOU KNOW STA got lucky to win that game.

8 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

If we start down a road where we say "Team A only beat Team B because they took advantage of a particular match up that suited them well" -to what? invalidate the result?- we will be in a never-ending exercise of invalidating results of countless games. "STA only beat Bloomingdale in 2020 because Bloomingdale had a small, weak left defensive end matching up against a behemoth RT, so STA could just run off RT all game". It's silly.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

AND YOU KNOW STA got lucky to win that game.

Yes, but this has nothing to do Cocoa being a top national team. Which they are almost certainly not.

I think they can be a top 10 team in Florida if they win out. But you're just in your feelings because you want to make broad proclamations about one result but that result doesn't say what you think it does.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, badrouter said:

If we start down a road where we say "Team A only beat Team B because they took advantage of a particular match up that suited them well" -to what? invalidate the result?-

To tell the truth.

Lazy analysis with no insight or context is a staple around here. But that doesn't mean that I have to do it too.

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Yes, but this has nothing to do Cocoa being a top national team. Which they are almost certainly not.

I think they can be a top 10 team in Florida if they win out. But you're just in your feelings because you want to make broad proclamations about one result but that result doesn't say what you think it does.

Thank you, you included "almost" in your reply. STA is almost a top national team also.

Say what you want my friend but Cocoa went to your house, put 36 points on STA, more points than any other team this year including SBJ who only put 20 on STA. Cocoa lost because the officials screwed the rules up enough that gave STA a second chance and enough time to make the kick. If Cocoa is rated 25 by CalPreps then they think Cocoa is a top National team.

The "exposed weakness" logic... hell, I thought that was what teams were supposed to do. Besides, STA had game film of Cocoa. You knew Cocoa's QB is very good and the receivers could take it to the house. Like STA, Cocoa doesn't transfer crappy players in. It's Florida. The state with great athletes. South Florida isn't the only place that has great talent. Central and North Florida have skill players also. 

BTW, where did STA get the Ref's, if they didn't cheat then they sucked at their job?

For those that play STA in the Playoffs, throw slants.

4 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch2 said:

Say what you want my friend but Cocoa went to your house, put 36 points on STA, more points than any other team this year btw including SBJ who only put 20 on STA. Cocoa lost because the officials screwed the rules up enough that gave STA a second chance and enough time to make the kick. If Cocoa is rated 25 by CalPreps then they think Cocoa is a top National team.

As for calpreps, Cocoa is just benefiting from being connected to SJB through STA. They're probably quite a bit better than last year's team but, again, that's not really sufficient to claim being a "top national team."

7 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch2 said:

The "exposed weakness" logic... hell, I thought that was what teams were supposed to do.

But that, again, has nothing to do with being a top national team. Your opponents demonstrated weakness just so happened to match up perfectly with the only thing you do well on offense.

Your arguments make no sense.

3 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

But they're not.

And you're only justification for believing it is because they "beat" a team that you said also wasn't a top national team.

You're making zero sense.

What's a top national team for you? Top 10? Top 25? Top 100? They're definitely top 100, maybe even top 25. Top 10, no. Yes, they had close games with Venice and Jones (both of those teams aren't pushovers) and they trounced good teams in Treasure Coast and Seminole. They've earned their ranking. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

What's a top national team for you? Top 10? Top 25? Top 100? They're definitely top 100, maybe even top 25. Top 10, no. Yes, they had close games with Venice and Jones (both of those teams aren't pushovers) and they trounced good teams in Treasure Coast and Seminole. They've earned their ranking. 

It's all good. Atticus is a good motivator. He puts a fire under teams to be better. Don't want a top 100 team to let up because the teams they are playing are not in the top 250.

He know Cocoa is top 100. He just likes bustin balls.

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch2 said:

It's all good. Atticus is a good motivator. He puts a fire under teams to be better. Don't want a top 100 team to let up because the teams they are playing are not in the top 250.

He know Cocoa is top 100. He just likes bustin balls.

Oh I know. I’ve gone back and forth with Canes for the better part of a decade. 🤣

• Like 1

• dntn31 changed the title to TheCompPoll - 2023 Final Rankings Released