Michigan- Washington Predictions

steeler01

3 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

There were.  Michigan looked great.  But, after the first quarter, that advantage was manageable.  I know you were hating the Michigan play-calling when their domination sputtered, but early their formations were causing confusion that created as many lanes as UM’s OL.  I thought UW’s defense made an adjustment in Q2 that coulda/ shoulda allowed them to come back.  Don’t remember if it was his first or second 40+ TD run, but one of them was stuffed at LOS before he made great individual move to bounce outside.  

UW kept appearing to have the momentum and just failed to capitalize time and again — again, credit UM for pressure, etc, but there was also misfired passes and dropped balls that were abnormal 

3rd down conversions wasn’t pretty.  They kept trying quick outs to the right unsuccessfully it seemed for a stretch.  Mich that is. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

@PopsNW 

Sort of had a DLS-STA 2011 feel in a way the score moved.  

Even at 27-13 I was a little nervous.  I’ve been a fan since 1975, and they’ve shit the bed a lot!  

This season was special and different, with a smashmouth and physicality on both sides I haven’t seen in years (if at all overall) with coordinators execution under Harbaugh.  

Michigan reminded me of the Giants under Parcells with Belichek at DC.  OJ Anderson SB year.  Smashmouth and a stingy D with a clever DC to contain the Bills.  

I said before game, I’m actually a Harbaugh fan — the sort of guy you hate on other team but happy to have on your side.  Became a fan when he turned an abysmal Stanford team that didn’t even appear to want to stay in FBS division of football into a top 5/ 10 type if team in a very short period 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

I said before game, I’m actually a Harbaugh fan — the sort of guy you hate on other team but happy to have on your side.  Became a fan when he turned an abysmal Stanford team that didn’t even appear to want to stay in FBS division of football into a top 5/ 10 type if team in a very short period 

I love how he utilizes TE’s.  Such a hard matchup for D’s nowadays with rules, along with the size/athleticism of today’s TE’s. 

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

I love how he utilizes TE’s.  Such a hard matchup for D’s nowadays with rules.  

He’s just a winner.  Someone asked me this week what qualities I looked for in hiring in my career and said smart and competitive — felt like if you had those two things, the rest fell into place.  Harbaugh is smart and as competitive as they come.  

don’t mean to make this a whine, but I thought Michigan DBs got away with a lot, and I felt during the game that that aggressiveness was likely coached — ie “we’ll take a few penalties, but I want UW passing offense timing to feel maximum disruption” that worked 

btw, I am very happy with DeBoer as UW coach.  He’s a different animal than Harbaugh but I hope he can stay at UW long enough to make guys forget about Don James 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Did WA have a DLS grad on the DL?  I seem to recall seeing Concord, CA caption last nt. 

Yes, 3-year starter, best run stopper.  Lutu-something long and Polynesian.  He graduated after I had already moved away but I think was a soph on UW’s last open championship team in 2015 — 6th year senior.  

btw, I think Michigan in better position for ‘24’s conference game in Seattle.  Most of UW’s top players leaving and their lack of depth (esp RB) was impairment last night 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PopsNW said:

He’s just a winner.  Someone asked me this week what qualities I looked for in hiring in my career and said smart and competitive — felt like if you had those two things, the rest fell into place.  Harbaugh is smart and as competitive as they come.  

don’t mean to make this a whine, but I thought Michigan DBs got away with a lot, and I felt during the game that that aggressiveness was likely coached — ie “we’ll take a few penalties, but I want UW passing offense timing to feel maximum disruption” that worked 

btw, I am very happy with DeBoer as UW coach.  He’s a different animal than Harbaugh but I hope he can stay at UW long enough to make guys forget about Don James 

He’s a Michigan man 💯 pct. 

I was rooting for the Colts big time vs Steelers in a huge playoff game.  They were so close.  As I recall, a Hail Mary was real close.  

I saw a blatant LT hold on a big gainer for Mich. and did see some iffy non calls.   Refs let them play, beyond a takedown penalty.  That one hurt on the RT/WA, along with the dropped rb pass and a deep ball that Mich safety was slow to get to that was luckily Inc. 

43 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

This season was special and different, with a smashmouth and physicality on both sides I haven’t seen in years (if at all overall) with coordinators execution under Harbaugh.  

Agree, this was a really special season for Michigan.  Had a really good time on a text thread with a bunch of my Michigan HS buddies last night.  They were pretty happy.  Great fun.

Let's start the next Ann Arbor barstool controversy - Who is the better MI coach, Harbaugh or Schembechler?  😉 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

Yes, 3-year starter, best run stopper.  Lutu-something long and Polynesian.  He graduated after I had already moved away but I think was a soph on UW’s last open championship team in 2015 — 6th year senior.  

Big fella, thx for info.  

Michigan has a STA grad DB, that should see plenty of PT next season, Ja’den McBurrows.  

I didn’t see him out there last night, not sure if he took any snaps.  

20 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Agree, this was a really special season for Michigan.  Had a really good time on a text thread with a bunch of my Michigan HS buddies last night.  They were pretty happy.  Great fun.

Let's start the next Ann Arbor barstool controversy - Who is the better MI coach, Harbaugh or Schembechler?  😉 

Seeing George Smith HC was like watching Bo.  
Same cuss vocabulary too!  😂 

Bowl games haven’t been kind to Michigan.  But I’m old school.  I hope Jim sticks around to boost his resume vs Bo.  One season only?  Gotta be this one, due to all that was involved…  cheeseburgers to NSA spying to 3 game suspension to Ohio State, Alabama and WA W’s.  

Speaking of barstool, the Pizza reviewer “their big cheese CEO” is a huge Michigan fan… not sure if he’s a grad.  Name escapes me.  Not a fan of him though.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Seeing George Smith HC was like watching Bo.  
Same cuss vocabulary too!  😂 

Bowl games haven’t been kind to Michigan.  But I’m old school.  I hope Jim sticks around to boost his resume vs Bo.  One season only?  Gotta be this one, due to all that was involved…  cheeseburgers to NSA spying to 3 game suspension to Ohio State, Alabama and WA W’s.  

Speaking of barstool, the Pizza reviewer “their big cheese CEO” is a huge Michigan fan… not sure if he’s a grad.  Name escapes me.  Not a fan of him though.  

Fwiw, I dont think I’d ever feel an NFL job was a better move if I’m coaching my alma mater, getting massive dollars, and have way more job security than ANY NFL coach (see Belicheck’s hot seat)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Big fella, thx for info.  

Michigan has a STA grad DB, that should see plenty of PT next season, Ja’den McBurrows.  

I didn’t see him out there last night, not sure if he took any snaps.  

Michigan seems to have a connection to STA — is that you? 💪

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

Michigan seems to have a connection to STA — is that you? 💪

:) 

Way too many recruits attended Ohio State from STA.  
What a waste for one athlete, Damon Armette, to kill his football career early in the NFL.  One of many Raiders early pick busts.  

Thankfully, STA’s star RB flipped to the U from Ohio State! 

All hail Meatchicken. 15-0 is nothing to sneeze at. Penix was awful last night. A lot of that is due to the Meatchicken D but he missed wide open receivers 4 times. Very uncharacteristic. Thrown way off his game.

I don’t know why Washington kept going to number seven in the running game. He was clearly hurt. They should’ve taken three shots at the end zone with Penix on their first drive. First and goal from the 10. Instead running plays  and then Penix misses a wide-open guy in the end zone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PopsNW said:

Not strength of schedule — not even close, which was basically my only point on differentiating between undefeated two undefeated power 5 teams for seeding purposes 

Strength of schedule is a, wait for it, *schedule* metric.

On the power metrics, Michigan beat Washington in every single one.

27 minutes ago, 181pl said:

All hail Meatchicken. 15-0 is nothing to sneeze at. Penix was awful last night. A lot of that is due to the Meatchicken D but he missed wide open receivers 4 times. Very uncharacteristic. Thrown way off his game.

I don’t know why Washington kept going to number seven in the running game. He was clearly hurt. They should’ve taken three shots at the end zone with Penix on their first drive. First and goal from the 10. Instead running plays  and then Penix misses a wide-open guy in the end zone. 

Penix was awesome early in season, then scuffled for a bit dealing with some non publicized injuries.  He was great again in pac12 championship and semis, and appeared injury free.  He was way off last night — some of it was Michigan D, some of it was at least 2 new injuries last night (foot twisted early when UW RT driven into him and the hit that bruised or cracked some ribs late), some of it was his WRs (couple of drops, couple of misreads on routes), had his biggest completion negated by penalty.  UW’s offensive lack of production was my biggest surprise in game.  UW settled on D after Q1 but O couldn’t get anything going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Simply put , Penix didn't have a really good night which was absolutely necessary  if they were going to win.  WR's didn't help much either. No running game . MI better, but absolutely beatable.  WA just couldn't get untracked, falling behind early. Kept it to a 1 score but just wasn't their night of execution . 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Simply put , Penix didn't have a really good night which was absolutely necessary  if they were going to win.  WR's didn't help much either. No running game . MI better, but absolutely beatable.  WA just couldn't get untracked, falling behind early. Kept it to a 1 score but just wasn't their night of execution . 

You left off the part about Washington getting physically mutilated by Michigan.

Probably would have been much easier just to say that.

16 minutes ago, RedZone said:

You left off the part about Washington getting physically mutilated by Michigan.

Probably would have been much easier just to say that.

WA was never going to out physical MI , but they definitely had the ability to Big play MI .  Penix had time , just was off . Against Texas he was on 

still can’t figure out why he looks so bad. He may have some injuries that nobody knew about. He took a few hard shots as well and was favoring his ribs. But still he was 5 to 10 feet off on a lot of his passes that are usually right on the receivers fingertips. 

28 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

WA was never going to out physical MI , but they definitely had the ability to Big play MI .  Penix had time , just was off . Against Texas he was on 

I don't think he had time. He was being moved from his spots and getting hit a lot by just the Michigan front 4. 

6 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I don't think he had time. He was being moved from his spots and getting hit a lot by just the Michigan front 4. 

He missed some wide open gimmies which he has to make in a game like this. Untimely penalties, drops by wr's didn't help . MI jumping on WA early was the diff imop.   MI has been to 3 straight cfp, so I think they were steadier at the start . Overall MI a more complete team, deeper . But MI doesn't have a Penix or his ability.  Give MI credit, but we didn't see the best of WA