Is Patrick Mahomes a top 5 QB or better all time?

HooverOutlaw

Terry Bradshaw from BeastShreveport won 4 Super Bowls and played back when a DB could just about murder a WR on television. I saw a couple almost die.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Terry Bradshaw from BeastShreveport won 4 Super Bowls and played back when a DB could just about murder a WR on television. I saw a couple almost die.

IMG_8664.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

The first 2 sb's were all on Pitt's defense. The last 2 sb's ,  Bradshaw had matured, as evidenced by his MVP in 1978. He was really good at that point with stallworth and Swan

Nail on head example.  👍🏻

Yes, an integral part of title success is having a stellar D, which the Steel Curtain certainly had.   I mentioned the Giants LB core of the 86 season being one of the best all-time in another post… hard to argue against Lambert, Ham and Russell also as a top LB core (Bears Lb core under Buddy Ryan was also very strong).  

Bradshaw may have also benefited from a Harris non catch vs the Raiders also.  

Brady benefited a lot from Adam V’s leg and a bs rule vs the Raiders.  
Pats had a very good D of course.  

19 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Anyone who doesn’t have Mahomes in the top 5 all time is just a hater…. He has done it with and without great talent, has the stats, MVP’s and the rings…..

Part of Being the Greatest means you actually win something….. Marino = Charles Barkley….. Great player but no one has Barkley in their “Greatest of all time” conversation’s…. 

Your correct with that statement , but there are outliers . Ted Williams, Barry Bonds .  When I rate Steve Young so high, that is my personal observation and belief . He can never get into the top tier because he doesn't have the stats except for a couple . Personally, Other than Marino's shock and awe 2nd season , he really was never a contender again. He was a statue as someone has said, and the reason for the quick release . He was similar to a Carmelo Anthony, putting up numbers , but was he really as great as all these other qb's ?   One guy whom, including myself,  everyone has seemed to over look and not give him his due is Brett Favre . I think with out a doubt he is top 10 minimally . 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Your correct with that statement , but there are outliers . Ted Williams, Barry Bonds .  When I rate Steve Young so high, that is my personal observation and belief . He can never get into the top tier because he doesn't have the stats except for a couple . Personally, Other than Marino's shock and awe 2nd season , he really was never a contender again. He was a statue as someone has said, and the reason for the quick release . He was similar to a Carmelo Anthony, putting up numbers , but was he really as great as all these other qb's ?   One guy whom, including myself,  everyone has seemed to over look and not give him his due is Brett Favre . I think with out a doubt he is top 10 minimally . 

Steve Young was very good athletically and quite intelligent.  

In today’s game, he’d dominate as a dual threat mastermind. 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:52 AM, DevilDog said:

Mahomes 3 SBs.  Marino 0.  Throwing for 1 million yards don't make you better.  Josh Allen is a present day Marino.  Is he better?

Winning SB's more of a team achievement than an individual one like a QB.  Not the best way to determine QB skills.  If it were then Trent Dilfer and Rob Johnson are both better than Marino and I don't think anyone makes that claim. 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 6:14 PM, DevilDog said:

Marino had 2 of the best WRs in that era with Duper and Clayton.  Hell unless you are a die hard Chiefs fan and he lost his best WR coincidentally Hill to the Dolphins.  You can't name the Cheif's WRs over the last 5 years. Marino wouldn't win with what Mahomes is playing with. Mahomes threw for 5,000 yds his 1st year.  Imagine if he had a Clayton or Duper.

Patrick Mahomes has accounted for the most yards by a quarterback in a season, with 5,614 combined passing, rushing, and receiving yards in 2022.

if Pat was from Cali, would you still defend him like this?  lol

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

IMG_8664.jpeg

Bradshaw threw a lot of INTs.

The year he led the league in TD passes he also led the league in INTs.

He threw a lot of dimes too though. He could chunk it..... wasn't a bad runner either.

Was a totally different game back then.

11 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Winning SB's more of a team achievement than an individual one like a QB.  Not the best way to determine QB skills.  If it were then Trent Dilfer and Rob Johnson are both better than Marino and I don't think anyone makes that claim. 

Jeff Hostetler filled in very well for Simms and got a ring.  
He had a “little” help from the OL, OJ Anderson, Mark Ingram’s insane first down execution moves, a solid and stingy D and of course Scott Norwood.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Bradshaw threw a lot of INTs.

The year he led the league in TD passes he also led the league in INTs.

He threw a lot of dimes too though. He could chunk it..... wasn't a bad runner either.

Was a totally different game back then.

True. 

I also mentioned in that post that his individual stats won’t dominate in a top 5 discussion. 

He was erratic at times, but yes his perfect spiral darts were fun to watch.  

He utilized all his receivers, from Bleir and Harris to Cunningham and Grossman.  
The WR core of Swann and Stallworth sure helped Terry.  

I never understood why much of the local fan base and media ripped Bradshaw, to the point of him not wanting to return back for years.  

IMG_8665.jpeg

2 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

You’re correct with that statement , but there are outliers . Ted Williams, Barry Bonds .  When I rate Steve Young so high, that is my personal observation and belief . He can never get into the top tier because he doesn't have the stats except for a couple . Personally, Other than Marino's shock and awe 2nd season , he really was never a contender again. He was a statue as someone has said, and the reason for the quick release . He was similar to a Carmelo Anthony, putting up numbers , but was he really as great as all these other qb's ?   One guy whom, including myself,  everyone has seemed to over look and not give him his due is Brett Favre . I think with out a doubt he is top 10 minimally . 

I agree with you on Steve Young, He was personally my favorite to watch and I definitely have him in my “Beat Ever” conversation…. I would take him over Marino 100% of the time….

I think Baseball is Different, Bonds and Ted Williams only had 4 opportunities each game to affect the outcome of the game…. Hitting a Baseball is far more difficult then anything that is done on the Football field or shooting a Basketball…..

A Great QB has 60+ opportunities every game to make a play, control the game and affect the outcome….. A Basketball player can handle the ball on almost every possession and they can rebound, block shots, pass the ball to others and play defense and affect the outcome of a game….

So I would not put any QB or NBA player that doesn’t have a Championship in any kind of “Beat Ever” conversation like I would with Baseball players….. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

I agree with you on Steve Young, He was personally my favorite to watch and I definitely have him in my “Beat Ever” conversation…. I would take him over Marino 100% of the time….

I think Baseball is Different, Bonds and Ted Williams only had 4 opportunities each game to affect the outcome of the game…. Hitting a Baseball is far more difficult then anything that is done on the Football field or shooting a Basketball…..

A Great QB has 60+ opportunities every game to make a play, control the game and affect the outcome….. A Basketball player can handle the ball on almost every possession and they can rebound, block shots, pass the ball to others and play defense and affect the outcome of a game….

So I would not put any QB or NBA player that doesn’t have a Championship in any kind of “Beat Ever” conversation like I would with Baseball players….. 

Baseball may not be the best example, except for a great pitcher. Even then your team needs to get runs. Every sport great needs help with team to win a championship,  exception being tennis and golf. I think B-ball an individual can have greater impact than any other team sport.  

A QB has to benefit of being on the right team at the right time.  Look at Jim Plunkett. Got destroyed at NE,  lost all his confidence. Got traded to 49er where he failed. Went to Raiders and won 2 Sb and was a top QB those years.  Archie manning could be looked at kind of in the same way, except he never had the chance to escape the Aints. Potentially a a top QB languishing away 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

if Pat was from Cali, would you still defend him like this?  lol

I'm not from Cali.  But if we both were the answer is yes.  I don't have to be from Cali to know Bryce is a special young QB and if he wins 3 in 5 years I will be an advocate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

OK name the QBs with 3 or more that are not great.  

21 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Baseball may not be the best example, except for a great pitcher. Even then your team needs to get runs. Every sport great needs help with team to win a championship,  exception being tennis and golf. I think B-ball an individual can have greater impact than any other team sport.  

A QB has to benefit of being on the right team at the right time.  Look at Jim Plunkett. Got destroyed at NE,  lost all his confidence. Got traded to 49er where he failed. Went to Raiders and won 2 Sb and was a top QB those years.  Archie manning could be looked at kind of in the same way, except he never had the chance to escape the Aints. Potentially a a top QB languishing away 

… and even in tennis you’ll have difficulty ranking players (different eras, pro vs amateur status, Aussie open wasn’t popular initially due to it being in December, court surface changes, equipment technology, training, etc).  Golf similar.  

Best bet is to rank same era and even in tennis and golf, it would vary quite a bit.  

• Like 2

Jim Kelly wasn’t too shabby. His status on the all time QB list would have been higher, had Scott Norwood converted the 47 yarder. 

If you add ABA with NBA stats, Dr J’s status rises all time.  

Warren Moon’s CFL and NFL stats would be stout.  He had a rifle and a perfect looking spiral touch. 

IMG_8667.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Jeff Hostetler filled in very well for Simms and got a ring.  
He had a “little” help from the OL, OJ Anderson, Mark Ingram’s insane first down execution moves, a solid and stingy D and of course Scott Norwood.   

The NFL Retro group I follow on Facebook had this pic attached to a Jeff Hostetler post; artist decided to attach one of @HawgGoneIt guns on him 😆

FB_IMG_1708032865850.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. Montana

4. Mahomes

5. Young

6. Elway

7. Rodgers

8. Favre

9. Aikman

10. Brees

Sammy Baugh (Slinging)

Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
Fran Tarkenton
Roger Staubach
Terry Bradshaw
Marino, Kelly, Moon 

…needed a 10th, so going with Scott Brunner (Giants fan sarcasm)