Geico HS basketball nationals in NY

golfaddict1

Very upset the WCAC did not let DeMatha compete. They’ve taken down several nationally ranked teams this season, including participants in this tournament. Especially since they were playing the best ball of the season in the last three games, one of which was a 22 point beatdown against national #14 Paul VI. 

DeMatha returns their entire team for 18-19. Hopefully the WCAC gets over themselves. This was one of the questions I was going to ask the SJC AD on the Q&A thread before he bailed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Very upset the WCAC did not let DeMatha compete. They’ve taken down several nationally ranked teams this season, including participants in this tournament. Especially since they were playing the best ball of the season in the last three games, one of which was a 22 point beatdown against national #14 Paul VI. 

DeMatha returns their entire team for 18-19. Hopefully the WCAC gets over themselves. This was one of the questions I was going to ask the SJC AD on the Q&A thread before he bailed. 

Gunna wait until June/July and tally up SFA,Dematha and SJC recruits like I did with IMG,MD,SJB and STA.   Should be some stout numbers in terms up marquee talent and overall fbs recruit offers.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frosty4024 said:

Winning State Titles does that...But like ya said...it's "Nothing"

...winning state titles in a division where they have wins of 67, 70, and 80 points on their resume. Shadow Mountain plays 7-10 meaningful games a year, rarely plays larger powers within their home state, and gets anointed as the state's best team because the limp-dick media out here gets excited out the box scores and their ex-baller of a coach. It's a pathetic state of affairs.

When Shadow Mountain has actually scheduled top 6A programs they've typically been ran out of the gym (see 2014 MLK Day showcase versus Corona del Sol). If they regularly had to play the top 6A squads in this state or top 5A programs like Sunnyslope everyone would suddenly forget who they are.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

...winning state titles in a division where they have wins of 67, 70, and 80 points on their resume. Shadow Mountain plays 7-10 meaningful games a year, rarely plays larger powers within their home state, and gets anointed as the state's best team because the limp-dick media out here gets excited out the box scores and their ex-baller of a coach. It's a pathetic state of affairs.

When Shadow Mountain has actually scheduled top 6A programs they've typically been ran out of the gym (see 2014 MLK Day showcase versus Corona del Sol). If they regularly had to play the top 6A squads in this state or top 5A programs like Sunnyslope everyone would suddenly forget who they are.

Ya play who is in front of you...What you expect them to do...Jump 2-3 classifications???

24 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Ya play who is in front of you...What you expect them to do...Jump 2-3 classifications???

In a word, yes, or in the very least use your preseason slate to load up with those teams versus winning your first five games against teams from your division by 45 points each game. I refuse to believe anyone benefits from a 108-28 game.

Shadow Mountain  (and Saguaro) should worry about tending to their own backyard  (Arizona) before building some mythical national brand. They'll never do that though as that might hurt recruiting.

7 hours ago, Wooderson said:

In a word, yes, or in the very least use your preseason slate to load up with those teams versus winning your first five games against teams from your division by 45 points each game. I refuse to believe anyone benefits from a 108-28 game.

Shadow Mountain  (and Saguaro) should worry about tending to their own backyard  (Arizona) before building some mythical national brand. They'll never do that though as that might hurt recruiting.

Wait...Hurt how??? 

Playing those type of games would get players to WANT to go to Saguaro simply for exposure if they were to go that route.

11 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Rab? 

2 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Wait...Hurt how??? 

Playing those type of games would get players to WANT to go to Saguaro simply for exposure if they were to go that route.

Arizona's an open-enrollment state in the truest sense of the word-an eighth grader can attend any public high school he wants to assuming that there's no cap on enrollment (which is very rare), and frankly there's very little to prevent transfers once kids are in high school (especially prior to senior year).

Shadow Mountain and Sunnyslope are both basketball powers in the state; Sunnyslope has thee basketball titles since 2009 (including the last two 5A titles; in 2015-16 they lost the D-1/6A title game by three points against a school with over 1000 more kids enrolled there) and four since 2002.  Shadow Mountain has four since 2014, and six since 1995.  The two schools are five miles apart and share a boundary despite being in different districts.  The schools played each other every year from 2005 to 2013, with Sunnyslope winning 13 of 14 matchups against the Matadors. 

All of that being said, if I'm the parent of an eighth grade basketball player and I can send my kid to either school where am I going to go-the multi-time state champion that is consistently considered to be about the fifth to eighth best team in Arizona regardless of division (because they actually play larger division teams and have an occasional trip-up), or the multi-time state champion that rarely plays those larger schools in favor of 50-point wins over other schools with 1700-1000 kids yet gets lauded for boat-racing those teams and a favorable record in out of state competition?  And does that answer change if the smaller state champion (Shadow Mountain) is absorbing a couple in-state losses every year because they do schedule Sunnyslope, Apollo, Chaparral, etc, etc (those are just your 5A powers, 6A is a whole other can of worms) that-in the end-prevent them from #1 in Arizona rankings by Dick Obert and taking fanciful trips to NYC at the end of the year?

Shadow Mountain and Saguaro can absorb some out of state losses and not hurt their brand in terms of recruiting; if they were to absorb on-court/on-field losses to larger state schools it likely does have an impact on the talent those schools attract.

8 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Arizona's an open-enrollment state in the truest sense of the word-an eighth grader can attend any public high school he wants to assuming that there's no cap on enrollment (which is very rare), and frankly there's very little to prevent transfers once kids are in high school (especially prior to senior year).

Shadow Mountain and Sunnyslope are both basketball powers in the state; Sunnyslope has thee basketball titles since 2009 (including the last two 5A titles; in 2015-16 they lost the D-1/6A title game by three points against a school with over 1000 more kids enrolled there) and four since 2002.  Shadow Mountain has four since 2014, and six since 1995.  The two schools are five miles apart and share a boundary despite being in different districts.  The schools played each other every year from 2005 to 2013, with Sunnyslope winning 13 of 14 matchups against the Matadors. 

All of that being said, if I'm the parent of an eighth grade basketball player and I can send my kid to either school where am I going to go-the multi-time state champion that is consistently considered to be about the fifth to eighth best team in Arizona regardless of division (because they actually play larger division teams and have an occasional trip-up), or the multi-time state champion that rarely plays those larger schools in favor of 50-point wins over other schools with 1700-1000 kids yet gets lauded for boat-racing those teams and a favorable record in out of state competition?  And does that answer change if the smaller state champion (Shadow Mountain) is absorbing a couple in-state losses every year because they do schedule Sunnyslope, Apollo, Chaparral, etc, etc (those are just your 5A powers, 6A is a whole other can of worms) that-in the end-prevent them from #1 in Arizona rankings by Dick Obert and taking fanciful trips to NYC at the end of the year?

Shadow Mountain and Saguaro can absorb some out of state losses and not hurt their brand in terms of recruiting; if they were to absorb on-court/on-field losses to larger state schools it likely does have an impact on the talent those schools attract.

Saguaro won't be hurt much because they're WINNING State Titles...

Here I'll give you a football example in Louisiana...

4A Public Neville...

2nd largest class in the state.  

12 State Titles

4 since dropping from the juggernaut known as the old 2-5A (2009, 2011, 2014, 2015.)

They normally are contending with West Monroe, West Ouachita, (and I think Bastrop) for kids.

But Neville will still get their bunch because of a winning tradition (Similar to Saguaro).

Ya don't have to play teams in the highest classification or play powerhouses often to get recognition if you're winning as much as Neville is (but it helps I get that...)

Saguaro will be fine as long as they win consistently (As in State Titles)...Bottom line...

9 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Saguaro won't be hurt much because they're WINNING State Titles...

Here I'll give you a football example in Louisiana...

4A Public Neville...

2nd largest class in the state.  

12 State Titles

4 since dropping from the juggernaut known as the old 2-5A (2009, 2011, 2014, 2015.)

They normally are contending with West Monroe, West Ouachita, (and I think Bastrop) for kids.

But Neville will still get their bunch because of a winning tradition (Similar to Saguaro).

Ya don't have to play teams in the highest classification or play powerhouses often to get recognition if you're winning as much as Neville is (but it helps I get that...)

Saguaro will be fine as long as they win consistently (As in State Titles)...Bottom line...

Unless Louisiana is an open-enrollment free-for-all like Arizona any comparisons between the two states' public schools are ham-fisted.  Are kids that hail from neighboring districts going to keep sending their kids to Saguaro as long as they win state titles?  Yes, but clearly there's something else in play when they have kids that live ten minutes from Chandler who commute 20+ miles to attend Saguaro.  Once again, I doubt parents are bypassing Chandler and a long list of other quality schools/programs simply for state titles, and I also doubt that status quo stays in place if Saguaro were to venture outside their division and had to live with the reality of what their program is (a fantastic program for a school of 1200 kids that should never be compared to larger schools with similar accomplishments).

My point on this is very simple-Saguaro and Shadow Mountain don't offer anything terribly unique as high schools aside from one great sports program-both are middling to average schools as academic institutions, and neither is particularly adept in sports beyond the one that they are recognized as a state power in.  Can I see parents/kids opting to attend those schools to win state championships?  Yes, as long as the local media bills both programs as being consistently capable of going toe-to-toe with top programs in larger divisions.  These schools don't play those larger schools with better academics and better teams because a big reason why parents will drive 20 miles out of their way to send their kids to these schools is because the absurdity of a 1300-student public school being the best football/basketball team in a decent athletic state is never questioned or outright shattered.