N.J. football coach who alleged he was being forced out for racial reasons fired

RedZone

“I think this from me not conforming with their viewpoints on what they want the student body and the football team to look like,” Strom alleged. “I’ve tried to build this program into one that’s based on kids being of ability, high character, and high grades.

• Like 1

Interesting...this could be a Pope John situation where people may be upset at the number of black kids taking up roster spots where Little Johnny used to play. In that case, it was parents sending an anonymous letter to the archdiocese. Don't let the "Camden" part of the school name fool you. This is generally a Lilly white school.

• Like 1

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/23375029/high-school-coach-says-was-fired-having-too-many-black-players

I debated whether bringing this over here as I am not sure where the conversation will go. That said, these kinds of conversations are happening behind closed doors or not at all in rooms with large elephants. And, despite what some may believe to the contrary, I think we have these conversations on this board with better perspective than most. 

• Like 2

The quote that stood out to me from the ESPN article is:

"When I'd have a list of potential freshmen, the first question I'd be asked is if they were white or black," he said, according to the Courier-Post.

Why would a coach have a list of potential freshmen? Maybe I'm extraordinarily naive, but pretty confident that wouldn't fly in the North Coast Section of California.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

The quote that stood out to me from the ESPN article is:

"When I'd have a list of potential freshmen, the first question I'd be asked is if they were white or black," he said, according to the Courier-Post.

Why would a coach have a list of potential freshmen? Maybe I'm extraordinarily naive, but pretty confident that wouldn't fly in the North Coast Section of California.

Private school applications, correct? That would be my list.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

CCs best player ever, Quentin Nelson, is white. Bad timing for this article. Overshadowing what should be a celebration based on last week's draft. Sad. 

This is just brutal. Nelson not only did not go to Camden Catholic, so has not place in this dramatic point being attempted here, but played at RBC and played several times in playoff games and scrimmages against Big North teams, the supposed area of expertise here. Wowza. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nokia said:

This is just brutal. Nelson not only did not go to Camden Catholic, so has not place in this dramatic point being attempted here, but played at RBC and played several times in playoff games and scrimmages against Big North teams, the supposed area of expertise here. Wowza. 

The misinformation and agenda from some of these posters is astonishing...

It appears your guy did go to RBC after a quick google.

27 minutes ago, RedZone said:

The misinformation and agenda from some of these posters is astonishing...

It appears your guy did go to RBC after a quick google.

Yeah but this is no normal poster, this poster claims to be a certified "insider" who also I believe runs this site and claims to break news. The only scary part about it is that some people take this stuff as legit news/information. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nokia said:

Yeah but this is no normal poster, this poster claims to be a certified "insider" who also I believe runs this site and claims to break news. The only scary part about it is that some people take this stuff as legit news/information. 

If he continues over and over again to say Nelson went to Camden Catholic, I'm guessing it'll level out at about 40% believing him. And @GardenStateBallerwill claim he is #winning, truth be damned.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nokia said:

He made a mistake.

Reality?

The egotistical bum was busted again.

Thanks for bringing it to light.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:47 AM, paladin4ever said:

Interesting...this could be a Pope John situation where people may be upset at the number of black kids taking up roster spots where Little Johnny used to play. In that case, it was parents sending an anonymous letter to the archdiocese. Don't let the "Camden" part of the school name fool you. This is generally a Lilly white school.

so now people are mad that white kids are at a non-football school to play football and a new coach comes in and tries to build it into something its not and coach asswipe is mad???  ridiculous.  maybe those parents who actually pay the tuition for their kids want to see their kids play football on the field, not on a bench and most probably could give two fucks either way if they make the national rankings or even state championships. 

So all those black athletes that coach wanted to bring in and play so his team would get rankings ARE NOT NEEDED.  That's not what the school is apparently there for.  Let the team be who they are, not who they could be turned into.  And there's nothing wrong with a Lily White school as you put it.  Academics are probably through the roof and crime/discipline issues nearly non-existent compared to your public city schools.

I too would have a serious problem if I paid 10K a year and my kid was average at best but benched b/c some asswipe coach wants his name in the papers with players who didn't pay a fucking dime.  I would just start getting parents (the white ones I guess you mean) to withdraw their student-athletes from the school and go/pay-to-play elsewhere.