World Cup contest anyone? Careful, spoiler alert for DVR'd games

golfaddict1

Anybody that thinks soccer is a boring sport needs to look at video of the France/Argentina game. The most exciting game of the tournament in my opinion to date, with some super goals!  Benjamin Pravon's goal to tie the game for France after Argentina was threatening to blow the game open was a gem!

Mbape (I probably butchered his name), played like a mature superstar. This 19 year old has unlimited upside potential. I was a baby when Pele starred at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, but I gotta think his performance in this game, rivals what Pele did against Sweden back then! 

• Like 2

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Anybody that thinks soccer is a boring sport needs to look at video of the France/Argentina game. The most exciting game of the tournament in my opinion to date, with some super goals!  Benjamin Pravon's goal to tie the game for France after Argentina was threatening to blow the game open was a gem!

Mbape (I probably butchered his name), played like a mature superstar. This 19 year old has unlimited upside potential. I was a baby when Pele starred at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, but I gotta think his performance in this game, rivals what Pele did against Sweden back then! 

What was Argentina thinking?   Wrong gameplan to play against France especially when you have no burners on D.   I guess they underestimated that counter speed.     

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Pity Messi's tournament ends this way as he had a great game, setting up two goals including his shot that was deflected into the net.  

Just now, 954gator said:

What was Argentina thinking?   Wrong gameplan to play against France especially when you have no burners on D.   I guess they underestimated that counter speed.     

They probably did. But I think they probably came into the game with the point of view that France was going to get its share of goals and that if they were to win they would have to outscore them. That opened up the counter for France which took advantage. Credit Argentina, though, they kept fighting to the very end and I am sure they created some concern among the French when they scored with less than two minutes left. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

They probably did. But I think they probably came into the game with the point of view that France was going to get its share of goals and that if they were to win they would have to outscore them. That opened up the counter for France which took advantage. Credit Argentina, though, they kept fighting to the very end and I am sure they created some concern among the French when they scored with less than two minutes left. 

Goal of the match was that Volley though....NASTY.  

• Like 2

Looks like the 3 of us in espnfc poll predicted France.   Pogba being shutout hurt me 10 pts.  He airmailed a close free kick opportunity in first half.  4 goals and no assists either, bummer.  

Will Portugal make it 2 wins for Europe today?   Should be another good one.  I predicted Uruguay.  We’ll see.  

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Looks like the 3 of us in espnfc poll predicted France.   Pogba being shutout hurt me 10 pts.  He airmailed a close free kick opportunity in first half.  4 goals and no assists either, bummer.  

Will Portugal make it 2 wins for Europe today?   Should be another good one.  I predicted Uruguay.  We’ll see.  

Either team could win this game. I am going to go with the aging Portuguese superstar to upend his Uruguayan counterpart. But I would not be surprised either way.  

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Homeboy had some serious wheels. Lots of scoring in that match. It was awesome!!!

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Not going to lie, Argentina needs to think about getting a new keeper.   You have to at least stop one of those goals.   The one where Mbappe shoots right at him has to be stopped.     Still, Frances goals came easy and Argentina's needed to be perfect.  

Pretty sure their goalie was new.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Uruguay with a deserved 1-0 lead at the half. They have been much more purposeful on offense than Portugal. And, their defense is well organized keeping Portugal from getting clean shots in the final third. If they keep this up, they should win. 

Hard fought win by Uruguay. Two beautiful goals by Cavini. Referee did a poor job. Both Messi and Renaldo out of the World Cup. 

Two good, entertaining round of 16 games. Hope the other six are as good!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I wonder how Cavani’s health is. Hamstring injury.  He was walking gingerly off the pitch.   If he’s out that would stink.  What a talent and I enjoyed seeing him, Neymar, Alvez, Di Maria etc.  up close in Miami last summer during a PSG practice.   

He'll be fine I think.    No way he doesn't play next game.   

12 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I wonder how Cavani’s health is. Hamstring injury.  He was walking gingerly off the pitch.   If he’s out that would stink.  What a talent and I enjoyed seeing him, Neymar, Alvez, Di Maria etc.  up close in Miami last summer during a PSG practice.   

Was it his hamstring?  Looked like he has ice or something in his shin/calf area.  

• Like 1