World Cup contest anyone? Careful, spoiler alert for DVR'd games

golfaddict1

7 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Belgium scores with seconds remaining on the clock.   Amazing game.   Japan had a corner with 20 seconds left,  goalie grabs it, fast break, game over.    Poor Japan.  

Some nice saves by Japan’s goalie late prior in a couple of rapid fire attempts.  Belgium’s goalie also stretched out on a nice Japan shot late.  What a fun 2nd half!  

8 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Oh man the dagger.  Belgium superb rush and passing.  Easy finish at the very end of regulation.   Belgium moves on.  I was getting ready for extra time.  Wow.  

The run by Lukaku was amazing. Drawing the defender to the middle to make space on the right and then having the presence to let the ball go through to Chadli for the goal. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Another upset sweden knocks out Switzerland 

I wouldn’t consider this result an upset. I predicted a 0-0 penalty kick shootout with Switzerland winning,  :)   Was looking good until a brutal own goal by the Swiss defender in the 2nd half.  Plenty of good looks, but an own goal was the difference.

England vs Colombia about to start.   

31 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I wouldn’t consider this result an upset. I predicted a 0-0 penalty kick shootout with Switzerland winning,  :)   Was looking good until a brutal own goal by the Swiss defender in the 2nd half.  Plenty of good looks, but an own goal was the difference.

England vs Colombia about to start.   

Switzerland is ranked #6 in the world sweden was ranked #24 slight upset 

22 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Switzerland is ranked #6 in the world sweden was ranked #24 slight upset 

The rankings aren't all they are cut out to be. Kind of like the high school football rankings. It's difficult as many of these teams don't play each other on a regular basis and the actual squads at the World Cup often differ from friendly squads. 

I did not see the game, but from the highlights, seems both teams skied some fairly easy chances.

The England vs Colombia first half has been mostly purposeful but very physical. The officials need to ensure they maintain control of the game. One thing i don't like about what England has been doing is the fact they pass the ball back to their keeper too much. The keeper has enabled this by not booting the ball downfield. I usually don't like too much of this as bad things can easily result. 

I think Colombia ends up winning by a goal. 

24 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The rankings aren't all they are cut out to be. Kind of like the high school football rankings. It's difficult as many of these teams don't play each other on a regular basis and the actual squads at the World Cup often differ from friendly squads. 

I did not see the game, but from the highlights, seems both teams skied some fairly easy chances.

The England vs Colombia first half has been mostly purposeful but very physical. The officials need to ensure they maintain control of the game. One thing i don't like about what England has been doing is the fact they pass the ball back to their keeper too much. The keeper has enabled this by not booting the ball downfield. I usually don't like too much of this as bad things can easily result. 

The elo ratings system (chess)  will probably do a better job of factoring in recent play better, especially now with more connect the dots in the World Cup. 

I agree w you and Steeler that the fifa rankings are iffy and you explained it well why it’s hard to rate like in hsfb. 

Foul on Kane in the box (take down) on a corner set piece.  Kane nets it.  1-0 England.  57th min.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

England is up 1-0

15 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Hate PK endings :(.  Here comes another.   England takes it.  

Tough way for Colombia to lose. I feel for the two players that missed their penalties, particularly the last one. Colombian soccer players have much to be concerned about in tough losses like these.