World Cup contest anyone? Careful, spoiler alert for DVR'd games

golfaddict1

9 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Blunder is putting it mildly. If he had booted the ball up-field or scooped it up, the whole game may have had a different outcome. But he did not and the rest is history.

Croatia has a very physical team with no real weakness expect, perhaps, a lack of overall team speed. While I don't see them winning the cup, I would not be surprised if they made the semifinals.  

It was a nice pass perfectly set up...for the other team...

• Haha 1

On June 21, 2018 at 5:41 PM, AztecPadre said:

Dude wah happen to peru?  

Not meant to be.  Guerrero was not in form and shouldn't have played.   He gave up the ball in a cricial spot and France took advantage.   Peru seemed to get no good bounces.   They had possession and good chances both games and just couldn't get the ball in the damn net.   Sucks, but thats soccer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 954gator said:

Im very interested in how that Colombia, Poland, Senegal, Japan group shakes out.    Seems like anything can happen there.

I think Senegal takes this group. Hope they don't prove me wrong today. But seriously, they actually have the most individual talent in the group. They just need to play 90 minutes of football. Sorry about Peru. They will end up as one of the best teams eliminated from group play. It's a real pity they missed the penalty in their first match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I think Senegal takes this group. Hope they don't prove me wrong today. But seriously, they actually have the most individual talent in the group. They just need to play 90 minutes of football. Sorry about Peru. They will end up as one of the best teams eliminated from group play. It's a real pity they missed the penalty in their first match.

Yeah, they looked good vs Poland. I'm still not sure what to think about Colombia because they played 90 minutes with just 10 guys, but that guy that went out is a clutch defender for them.    Not sure if they'll make it out now.   They are very Jekyl and Hyde.

41 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yeah, they looked good vs Poland. I'm still not sure what to think about Colombia because they played 90 minutes with just 10 guys, but that guy that went out is a clutch defender for them.    Not sure if they'll make it out now.   They are very Jekyl and Hyde.

Columbia has always promised much and usually not delivered. It's not a lack of talent. They remind me somewhat of a Deerfield Beach which year in and year out has a very talented roster but usually fails to make a deep playoff run. 

@Rippers is ripping us @954gator :)

My two draw predictions flushed.  Shaqiri’s goal for Switzerland late was brilliant though.  Big 3 pts for the Swiss.   

Brazil struck late and the piñata scored (Neymar) just before the final whistle.  

Nice w for Nigeria, but it opens the door for Argentina to get that 2 spot if they beat Nigeria and Iceland doesn’t beat Croatia and take the 2 spot by possible goal differential.  If goal differential is a tie it comes down to most goals scored.   

Belgium is having their way w Tunisia.  4-1 currently.  63rd min.  

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

@Rippers is ripping us @954gator :)

My two draw predictions flushed.  Shaqiri’s goal for Switzerland late was brilliant though.  Big 3 pts for the Swiss.   

Brazil struck late and the piñata scored (Neymar) just before the final whistle.  

Nice w for Nigeria, but it opens the door for Argentina to get that 2 spot if they beat Nigeria and Iceland doesn’t beat Croatia and take the 2 spot by possible goal differential.  If goal differential is a tie it comes down to most goals scored.   

Belgium is having their way w Tunisia.  4-1 currently.  63rd min.  

I don't doubt it, my predictions have been horrible so far.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:32 AM, golfaddict1 said:

Some teams need this pep talk... like Poland Sunday.  

Speaking of Sunday :)  Nice setup there ha.   

That group is upside down — each team may be be near 25% to advance after 1st games with two upsets 

4 hours ago, 954gator said:

https://gazettereview.com/2018/06/colombia-police-investigate-death-threats-carlos-sanchez/

Carlos Sanchez getting death threats from Colombian social media.  

That’s just nuts

on the other hand, he should have just allowed the goal

red card seemed excessive on top of giving up a goal with penalty kick to me but my son explained the necessity for that rule

6 hours ago, Pops said:

That group is upside down — each team may be be near 25% to advance after 1st games with two upsets 

Scary shit with the Colombia defender receiving death threats.  Takes us back to the USA game 1994 and the own goal by a Colombian player who was soon after gunned down and murdered back home after they didn’t qualify to the round of 16. As if Colombia doesn’t have enough pressure.  

Poland is feeling the heat also.  A talented roster that just can’t execute in the big matches.  They qualify for tourneys with ease and then do Rip Van Winkle sleep formations.  I hope I’m wrong, but I think Colombia takes it tomorrow.   

Japan-Senegal will be very interesting tomorrow as well.  After tomorrow all  teams will have played 2 of 3 matches.  

Another Real Madrid star pays dividends.  Kroos with a game winner late on a set piece (down a man just outside the box from a corner angle).   Shaqiri and Kroos, some gamers there folks.  Swiss and Deutschland rack up 3 pts.  I didn’t like seeing beautiful blonde sad Swede ladies crying though :)  

Looking fwd to a day off once we get to the 16 teams.   Enjoying it immensely, but 3 games a day is brutal.  

3 hours ago, Pops said:

That’s just nuts

on the other hand, he should have just allowed the goal

red card seemed excessive on top of giving up a goal with penalty kick to me but my son explained the necessity for that rule

Yea it was blatant and 3 minutes in adios amigo, 10 on the pitch vs 11.  

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Scary shit with the Colombia defender receiving death threats.  Takes us back to the USA game 1984 and the own goal by a Colombian player who was soon after gunned down and murdered back home after they didn’t qualify to the round of 16. As if Colombia doesn’t have enough pressure.  

Poland is feeling the heat also.  A talented roster that just can’t execute in the big matches.  They qualify for tourneys with ease and then do Rip Van Winkle sleep formations.  I hope I’m wrong, but I think Colombia takes it tomorrow.   

Japan-Senegal will be very interesting tomorrow as well.  After tomorrow all  teams will have played 2 of 3 matches.  

Another Real Madrid star pays dividends.  Kroos with a game winner late on a set piece (down a man just outside the box from a corner angle).   Shaqiri and Kroos, some gamers there folks.  Swiss and Deutschland rack up 3 pts.  I didn’t like seeing beautiful blonde sad Swede ladies crying though :)  

Looking fwd to a day off once we get to the 16 teams.   Enjoying it immensely, but 3 games a day is brutal.  

Although Germany outplayed Sweden, Sweden can consider itself very unlucky. First, they should have been awarded a penalty when Boatang brought down their striker in the area in the first half. No call when the video replay showed a clear penalty. Second, Germany scored in the final minute of extra time. Having watched the entire game, for the life of me I could not see what justified a whole 5 minutes of extra time. There was just not that much stoppage in the second half. Tough way to lose, but such is the game and life.  

• Like 2