World Cup contest anyone? Careful, spoiler alert for DVR'd games

golfaddict1

10 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Anybody that thinks soccer is a boring sport needs to look at video of the France/Argentina game. The most exciting game of the tournament in my opinion to date, with some super goals!  Benjamin Pravon's goal to tie the game for France after Argentina was threatening to blow the game open was a gem!

Mbape (I probably butchered his name), played like a mature superstar. This 19 year old has unlimited upside potential. I was a baby when Pele starred at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, but I gotta think his performance in this game, rivals what Pele did against Sweden back then! 

Argentina never really produced many scoring opportunities. The ones they did produce they scored on.  When Argentina had the ball,  the majority of the time it was in a zone that causes no danger to France(midfield). I don't like Giroud playing for France.  Unless France dominates possession and swings in cross after cross,  he shouldn't be playing. They'd be better off playing Tolisso i'n the midfield with a 4-4-2

50 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Spain has those days where they produce a lot of smoke but no fire. Lots of possession, but no ability to finish.  PK’s felt like a formality.

Spain has itself to blame for the loss. Russia, give them credit, won probably the only way it could. This is the second time in this century Spain has lost on PKs in the knockout round to the host country. It happened in 2002 when they lost to South Korea. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Spain got robbed of a penalty. Putting 11 guys in the back,  and defending for an entire game shouldn't be rewarded. One of the worst, if not the worst WC game so far IMO

You don’t get style points.  Russia played the way they had to.  I did not see the whole game - are you talking about the yelling for a penalty on a corner near the end?  That would have been a marginal call - at best.

1 minute ago, Bormio said:

Penalties called on corners are very rare.  Virtually every corner has a still shot like that.  Not going to get called in extra time in the knockout stage of the World Cup.

It wasn't called cause they're in Russia. The freaking replay clearly shows what happened

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

It wasn't called cause they're in Russia. The freaking replay clearly shows what happened

Look at replays of virtually any corner.  There is grabbing, holding, turning on every one.  They don’t call it like NFL refs.  I cannot remember the last penalty like that I saw called, let alone in the last 5 minutes of extra time in the World Cup.  Can’t blame that call on being in Russia - they just don’t call it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Look at replays of virtually any corner.  There is grabbing, holding, turning on every one.  They don’t call it like NFL refs.  I cannot remember the last penalty like that I saw called, let alone in the last 5 minutes of extra time in the World Cup.  Can’t blame that call on being in Russia - they just don’t call it.

You must not watch many champion league games. They're called when they're blatant like that one was. Hell they're called regardless

27 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I did not say never, I said very rare. There have been multiple complaints over the years about the muggings that are allowed on corners.  Also Messi was fouled Before the corner was actually taken - probably making that call more likely.  He also went down awful easy if you ask me.  And finally, it was Messi.

6 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Spain got robbed of a penalty. Putting 11 guys in the back,  and defending for an entire game shouldn't be rewarded. One of the worst, if not the worst WC game so far IMO

Regarding the penalty, I am inclined to agree with you. But I have seen several "non called penalties" in this World Cup. It is what it is. Calling it on the host nation in stoppage time may have incited riots after the game. 

Regarding the way Russia played, sure it was very ugly. But they knew that was the only way they had a chance to win, so they did what they had to do. The Russian team does not have the talent to play an open game with Spain. Blame Spain for having so much possession but failing to create and convert more chances. 

Damn man that goalie for Denmark is a god.   Too bad they lost, but damn can't do much more than save a Pk in extra time and then save 2 more in PKs.   What a crazy finish to that game.    Honestly with Spain and Russia I don't feel too bad for Spain.   They got up and started just passing around in the back to waste time thinking they had it in the bag, and Pique's handball was Fkn retarded.   Dude wanted to give someone a high 5 or some shit.  

• Like 2

Still bumming that Spain lost.  Funny with the added questions  I received more points in the Russia loss than picking Croatia correctly but answering every question wrong lol.  

Actually picked Brazil 2-0, one of the few lucky guesses converted.  Brazil looked like a well oiled machine in the 2nd half.  Neymar netted the first goal nicely and had an assist in the other.  He was also a piñata again w much physical attention from the opponent.  

11th min 0-0 game 2 Belgium Japan. 

40 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Still bumming that Spain lost.  Funny with the added questions  I received more points in the Russia loss than picking Croatia correctly but answering every question wrong lol.  

Actually picked Brazil 2-0, one of the few lucky guesses converted.  Brazil looked like a well oiled machine in the 2nd half.  Neymar netted the first goal nicely and had an assist in the other.  He was also a piñata again w much physical attention from the opponent.  

11th min 0-0 game 2 Belgium Japan. 

Brazil looked good except for their finishing. But they did what was necessary. Had Mexico secured a draw against Sweden and won the group, they would have had a much easier path.