World Cup contest anyone? Careful, spoiler alert for DVR'd games

golfaddict1

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Scary shit with the Colombia defender receiving death threats.  Takes us back to the USA game 1984 and the own goal by a Colombian player who was soon after gunned down and murdered back home after they didn’t qualify to the round of 16. As if Colombia doesn’t have enough pressure.  

30 for 30 the two Escobar’s was a great film on this event

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Pops said:

Columbia!!!

🇨🇴

Nice win for Colombia and now the Senegal match next is yuge.  

Poland sadly exits quietly.   12 year wait between qualifying and 🤮.   12 years ago  I was in Poland during the World Cup w family and we were staying in Zakopane and staying in a chalet above town and you could hear the fans cheering and partying pregame before the match and into the game vs Ecuador.  Then Ecuador scored in the first half and beyond the usual kurwa yells in the distance, it got quiet real fast.  

Gator’s Peru is my Poland.  I’ve visited there easily 15x since the early 90’s.  

• Like 1

@Rippersw a commanding lead through 32 games (2 rounds).  @954gator ready to drop my ass to 3rd.  

Whats your W-L overall guys?  I think I’m 0-5 in draw predictions lol!  

1st round 9-7, 2nd round 11-5 for me.  63% and the added questions what a mess.  

Group A done.  Uruguay (stars Cavani and Suarez netted goals today) takes the group w Russia 2nd.  Good chance most folks predicted that group  outcome, especially w Salah being injured.   

43783700-B529-437E-BE55-717F43728901.png

Wow that was entertaining seeing these late game endings.  Portugal looked set for the group win and facing Russia.  Hand ball video replay gives Iran a penalty kick and the equalizer and draw late.  For a brief moment Iran was in the two spot... then Spain equalized late and takes the group and an easier round of 16 matchup w Russia.  Portugal (Ronaldo missed pk, goalie guessed right, which was to go left lol) gets much tougher Uruguay.   Wild ride in 2nd half and late, but group finishes where likely most predicted w Spain, followed by Portugal advancing. 

5 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Did you pick Portugal to win the group?  Gator and I gained ground and I wasn’t sure why.  I only got 60 pts in 4 games today but I picked up 120 pts total.  So looks like 30 pts given for predicting a group winner.   

I don't remember. I do remember thinking it was dumb that they made us pick the group winners before the individual games because I am sure if I wrote down the W-L-D based off of my picks, I probably mismatched with some of my predicted pool winners (if that makes sense).  They should have had the pool winner projections autofill after our individual match predictions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rippers said:

I don't remember. I do remember thinking it was dumb that they made us pick the group winners before the individual games because I am sure if I wrote down the W-L-D based off of my picks, I probably mismatched with some of my predicted pool winners (if that makes sense).  They should have had the pool winner projections autofill after our individual match predictions.

Yea true.  This was a brutal fill out process and guess what, we get to make more picks again lol.  Can’t wait for the additional questions like how many times will Suarez raise his arm wanting a foul, 0-4 or more? Or in the 2nd half, will the right sock of Ronaldo be lower than his left sock?   

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Wow that was entertaining seeing these late game endings.  Portugal looked set for the group win and facing Russia.  Hand ball video replay gives Iran a penalty kick and the equalizer and draw late.  For a brief moment Iran was in the two spot... then Spain equalized late and takes the group and an easier round of 16 matchup w Russia.  Portugal (Ronaldo missed pk, goalie guessed right, which was to go left lol) gets much tougher Uruguay.   Wild ride in 2nd half and late, but group finishes where likely most predicted w Spain, followed by Portugal advancing. 

Two very good group B games today. You have to feel a bit sorry for Iran and Morocco, for either they are very good teams exiting the World Cup early (like Peru), or Spain and Portugal are not as good as advertised. I lean toward the former. 

Russia got exposed in their game against Uruguay. Once they faced a good team, with recent World Cup experience, their limitations were on full display. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Nice win for Colombia and now the Senegal match next is yuge.  

Poland sadly exits quietly.   12 year wait between qualifying and 🤮.   12 years ago  I was in Poland during the World Cup w family and we were staying in Zakopane and staying in a chalet above town and you could hear the fans cheering and partying pregame before the match and into the game vs Ecuador.  Then Ecuador scored in the first half and beyond the usual kurwa yells in the distance, it got quiet real fast.  

Gator’s Peru is my Poland.  I’ve visited there easily 15x since the early 90’s.  

One like wasn’t enough 

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Well Peru played it's worst game of the world cup and wins 2-0.   That's soccer for you.  

I was thinking the same thing. They earned me a much needed 3 points in our local pool play though. They were my Tier 3 pick. Columbia and Peru really let me down this far. Now, I need Brazil to pull the stick from their ass and win the whole tournament.

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I was thinking the same thing. They earned me a much needed 3 points in our local pool play though. They were my Tier 3 pick. Columbia and Peru really let me down this far. Now, I need Brazil to pull the stick from their ass and win the whole tournament.

You mean you picked them 3rd in group?  Neither Peru nor Colombia were tier 3 in their groups.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

I can't see them beating France, though. Despite Messi, this is not one of Argentina's best teams. But they made it through, so for now their dream still lives. 

Ehh no team is really that great.   Uruguay had a crazy easy group.   England and Belgium look very good but who've they beaten.   Brazil isn't unbeatable, Spain and Portugal were both fortunate to make the second round.  France wasn't able to dominate anyone in their group.  No team is that dominant.   

51 minutes ago, 954gator said:

You mean you picked them 3rd in group?  Neither Peru nor Colombia were tier 3 in their groups.

We divided the 32 teams into 4 different tiers and picked one team from each tier. (Similar to a golf pool play)

My picks were:

Tier 1: Brazil

Tier 2: Colombia

Tier 3: Peru

Tier 4: Iran

Total number of points earned depending on wins, draws, and loses for the collection of picks wins the pool. (Not going into complete detail on the scoring, bc it changes for each round where wins earn more.)

Having several picks eliminated after group play leaves a steep climb.

14 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

We divided the 32 teams into 4 different tiers and picked one team from each tier. (Similar to a golf pool play)

My picks were:

Tier 1: Brazil

Tier 2: Colombia

Tier 3: Peru

Tier 4: Iran

Total number of points earned depending on wins, draws, and loses for the collection of picks wins the pool. (Not going into complete detail on the scoring, bc it changes for each round where wins earn more.)

Having several picks eliminated after group play leaves a steep climb.

Well Peru as a 3rd tier pick (although they shouldn't be in this tier) wasn't a bad pick.   They are better than Denmark and should be going through, but soccer is a bit random.   If I had to pick a team to win I'd take Brazil as well.   Statistics would say to not pick South American teams in Europe, but ehh those trends always tend to break when you're counting on them.