World Cup contest anyone? Careful, spoiler alert for DVR'd games

golfaddict1

8 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Well Peru as a 3rd tier pick (although they shouldn't be in this tier) wasn't a bad pick.   They are better than Denmark and should be going through, but soccer is a bit random.   If I had to pick a team to win I'd take Brazil as well.   Statistics would say to not pick South American teams in Europe, but ehh those trends always tend to break when you're counting on them.  

Agreed. They were the first team in tier 3, but could've easily been in tier 2 with the likes of England and Colombia. I honestly thought picking Peru was a gimme for that tier, but you know... Just didn't pan out that way.

My buddy set it up and isn't the most well versed guy in international soccer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

How unexpected is it Germany not advancing to round of 16 ?

Defending champs vs South Korea and a win takes care of business without needing help in the group...  very unexpected.   Epic collapse.  

Mexico and its fan base had to be thinking win or tie vs Sweden or adios.  But that’s why they play the games, you never know.  

52 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Definitely unexpected, but it's a curse of the previous world cup winner.   THey haven't gotten out of the group since 2002.

That's correct. Began with France's shocking loss to Senegal in the first group game of 2002 and has continued since. If I were superstitious, I would think the curse is real!

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

That's correct. Began with France's shocking loss to Senegal in the first group game of 2002 and has continued since. If I were superstitious, I would think the curse is real!

Yeah France,  Brazil (only exception I think),  ItalySpain, and now Germany

@CCBlackhatter   I still think that Colombia will pass through today.   Poland is going to be hungry to get a win this world cup, and I think they beat Japan.   If this happens Colombia passes with a draw.  I do think Colombia pulls off the win today though,    

That being said I would have definitely picked a different tier two team, but I guess you took them because of their "weaker" group lol.   

I think England gets the win vs Belgium today too.    I think England is out to prove themselves, while Belgium is thinking only about winning the whole thing.   I think Belgium plays a lot of backups.  

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

I think England gets the win vs Belgium today too.    I think England is out to prove themselves, while Belgium is thinking only about winning the whole thing.   I think Belgium plays a lot of backups.  

This game could be interesting because both teams will pass through, regardless of the outcome. However, the loser would actually have an easier route to the finals, at least on paper.  In the round of 8, they'd get the winner of Sweden-Switzerland instead of the Brazil-Mexico winner, I think.

21 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Hello Mexico!   Was surreal watching the Sweden Mexico ending and hearing Mexico fans start cheering and celebrating  intensely down 3-0, when getting word that S Korea had scored.   These last 3 days finishes have been very entertaining.  

I have never loved South Korea as much as I do now.  One of my best friends is Korean, so I sent him a bouquet of roses to his office.  LOL 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

This game could be interesting because both teams will pass through, regardless of the outcome. However, the loser would actually have an easier route to the finals, at least on paper.  In the round of 8, they'd get the winner of Sweden-Switzerland instead of the Brazil-Mexico winner, I think.

True, any player sitting on a yellow shouldn’t be playing or at least not being aggressive and should be sub’d at some point to reduce the risk.  

If this ends in a draw, fair play points will decide the winner of the group.  

Rippers is correct, but I’d rather play Japan than Colombia.  We’ll see if one team agrees and plays more intensely or it’s going to be an odd game with little intensity other than yellow cards deciding order possibly.  

17 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

True, any player sitting on a yellow shouldn’t be playing or at least not being aggressive and should be sub’d at some point to reduce the risk.  

If this ends in a draw, fair play points will decide the winner of the group.  

Rippers is correct, but I’d rather play Japan than Colombia.  We’ll see if one team agrees and plays more intensely or it’s going to be an odd game with little intensity other than yellow cards deciding order possibly.  

One of the Mexican players yesterday got another yellow and is suspended for the Brasil game.  Bullshit penalty on a slide.  I sometimes wonder how many FIFA refs are on the take. 

2 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

One of the Mexican players yesterday got another yellow and is suspended for the Brasil game.  Bullshit penalty on a slide.  I sometimes wonder how many FIFA refs are on the take. 

Well dunno about refs, but it broke in 2015.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/20/fifa-corruption-trial-reveals-secret-bribes-and-death-threats/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

What a matchup that will be.  Mexico-Brazil.  

Some intesting news about Wayne Rooney.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44642490

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 954gator said:

@CCBlackhatter   I still think that Colombia will pass through today.   Poland is going to be hungry to get a win this world cup, and I think they beat Japan.   If this happens Colombia passes with a draw.  I do think Colombia pulls off the win today though,    

That being said I would have definitely picked a different tier two team, but I guess you took them because of their "weaker" group lol.   

Yes, that was the main reason I picked them from that tier. I expected them to sweep the group play and hoped they might luck up and win one in the round of 16.

I'm pretty sure the best I can finish is 2nd place now but need to calculate points now that group play has concluded. I believe my chance to win is gone after Peru shit the bed and didn't make it through.