The greatest HIGH SCHOOL basketball team in history!

ORabidOne

I'm not talking about these glorified AAU teams of today! I mean kids who grew up together, played together, and WON together! I'm talking about Coach Don Richardson's 1979 Southwest Macon Patriots! And if you think not, consider that in the AJC, this team beat out the teams that had Walt Frazier, Charlie Ward, and Dwight Howard! The 1979 Patriots went 31-0 and was anointed NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! All five starters played college ball, including Miss State. and NBA star Jeff Malone, and 6'7" UGA final four center Terry Fair! They beat four major high school powers around the country, including the state champions from Tennessee and Florida, and other national powers in St. John's Catholic D.C., and Oak Hill Academy! I saw um play Oak Hill Academy in the Porter Classic at the Macon Centreplex, in front of 10,000 SRO! And they won by TWENTY ONE points! A TRUE marvel opposed to watching in these days of ME, ME, ME baketbol! Malone would say later, that it was nothing to have FIVE HOUR practices, until they got it RIGHT! He once collapsed from exhaustion, before the GHSA banned such intense practice! They were a well oiled machine! Great coaches around the state were recently quoted as saying, that you didn't know how to defend them,  ZONE, Man to MAN, box in one, it didn't matter! And they often played against taller players! But they never played a better TEAM!

25 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Damn, Dwight Howard is old as Methuselah!!!

Who woulda thunk?

Regards

AKA

Readin fer compreHEEEENSION AIN'T that HARD there Skippy! I didn't SAY they played TOGETHER MORON! I said that the AJC listed the top teams in GHSA HISTORY! And THOSE playas were on said teams!

19 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

Readin fer compreHEEEENSION AIN'T that HARD there Skippy! I didn't SAY they played TOGETHER MORON! I said that the AJC listed the top teams in GHSA HISTORY! And THOSE playas were on said teams!

You criticize reading comprehension but you usually misspell half the words in your posts

The irony 

1965 DeMatha 45 Power Memorial 42 

12,500 in attendance at University of MD.  I will argue it was the most significant hs game ever played.  DM was national champions in ‘62 (National Prep) and Power featured Lew Alcindor-Later, Kareem Abdul Jabbar who had a 72 game winning streak coming in including a ‘64 victory over DM.  Game was featured on front page of all three DC newspapers (DM has them in one of their display cases.)

Four players from that DM team went into the NBA.  All five starters were first team all met in either ‘65 or ‘66.  Jabber was an absolute gentleman and visited the DM dressing room personally congratulating each individual player.

I saw both games including the ‘64 game which was close.  Cole Field House had never been sold out before.

Simply, changed the awareness and importance of premier hs ball in America. There were also national reports of the game on evening news.  This had never been done before.

There was a Baltimore Dunbar team with Mugsy Bogues who were extraordinarily good.  They also had four players from that team go into the NBA.  This, Ibelieve, was the early ‘80’s.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigDrop said:

1965 DeMatha 45 Power Memorial 42 

12,500 in attendance at University of MD.  I will argue it was the most significant hs game ever played.  DM was national champions in ‘62 (National Prep) and Power featured Lew Alcindor-Later, Kareem Abdul Jabbar who had a 72 game winning streak coming in including a ‘64 victory over DM.  Game was featured on front page of all three DC newspapers (DM has them in one of their display cases.)

Four players from that DM team went into the NBA.  All five starters were first team all met in either ‘65 or ‘66.  Jabber was an absolute gentleman and visited the DM dressing room personally congratulating each individual player.

I saw both games including the ‘64 game which was close.  Cole Field House had never been sold out before.

Simply, changed the awareness and importance of premier hs ball in America. There were also national reports of the game on evening news.  This had never been done before.

There was a Baltimore Dunbar team with Mugsy Bogues who were extraordinarily good.  They also had four players from that team go into the NBA.  This, Ibelieve, was the early ‘80’s.

That 83 Dunbar team tops my list.  There was a St Anthony's team that was pretty good also.

The Chino Hills one was meh...They basically got attention because of the Ball Brothers and are fresh on the brain.  I'd rather go with one of those Houston Yates squads over them.

The Chino Hills team got attention because they destroyed every team they played. Nobody outside of CA knew who the Ball brothers were until this team went to FL and MA and crushed those tournaments.

Their average margin of victory in the playoffs was 30 points. They beat teams from 9 different states that year and 11 of their victories were against nationally ranked teams.

You may not like the Ball family (I'm not a huge fan of the way they carry themselves), but this 2015-16 team was an absolute monster and many sportswriters consider the best of all time, or at least a serious contender. 

38 minutes ago, The Colonel said:

The Chino Hills team got attention because they destroyed every team they played. Nobody outside of CA knew who the Ball brothers were until this team went to FL and MA and crushed those tournaments.

Their average margin of victory in the playoffs was 30 points. They beat teams from 9 different states that year and 11 of their victories were against nationally ranked teams.

You may not like the Ball family (I'm not a huge fan of the way they carry themselves), but this 2015-16 team was an absolute monster and many sportswriters consider the best of all time, or at least a serious contender. 

They had a couple of 1 point wins playing out of state against teams that weren't that good. I agree with the poster that the Yates teams would have overrun them, not to mention some of the Oak Hill teams, etc.

Power Memorial with Alcindor were just so dominant. And Dunbar beating them in 65 had to be pretty special. On the West Coast McClymonds  back in the 50's and 60's. Rumor was that Bill Russell didn't even start. I find that had to believe but I wasn't there to verify. Verbum Dei back in the early 70's with Raymond Lewis (West Coast hs and playground legend)  were also pretty special. As mentioned before nowadays with all the transferring and Academy schools it's a whole different landscape.     

2 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

They had a couple of 1 point wins playing out of state against teams that weren't that good. I agree with the poster that the Yates teams would have overrun them, not to mention some of the Oak Hill teams, etc.

They had a one point victory over a Montverde Academy FL team that was very good and lost to just one other team (in the playoffs).  

18 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

I'm not talking about these glorified AAU teams of today! I mean kids who grew up together, played together, and WON together! I'm talking about Coach Don Richardson's 1979 Southwest Macon Patriots! And if you think not, consider that in the AJC, this team beat out the teams that had Walt Frazier, Charlie Ward, and Dwight Howard! The 1979 Patriots went 31-0 and was anointed NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! All five starters played college ball, including Miss State. and NBA star Jeff Malone, and 6'7" UGA final four center Terry Fair! They beat four major high school powers around the country, including the state champions from Tennessee and Florida, and other national powers in St. John's Catholic D.C., and Oak Hill Academy! I saw um play Oak Hill Academy in the Porter Classic at the Macon Centreplex, in front of 10,000 SRO! And they won by TWENTY ONE points! A TRUE marvel opposed to watching in these days of ME, ME, ME baketbol! Malone would say later, that it was nothing to have FIVE HOUR practices, until they got it RIGHT! He once collapsed from exhaustion, before the GHSA banned such intense practice! They were a well oiled machine! Great coaches around the state were recently quoted as saying, that you didn't know how to defend them,  ZONE, Man to MAN, box in one, it didn't matter! And they often played against taller players! But they never played a better TEAM!

If they did not beat a Cali or NYC area powerhouse, then they are not no real national champs!!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

You mean figuring out RabSpeak?

Yup, that would be a skill I have no interest in. 

Regards

AKA

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  For some reason I picture rab speaking like the asst coach in Waterboy with the straw hat and overalls with no shirt. 

• Haha 1