Marietta players eligible... for now

ATLien12x

13 minutes ago, OLB76 said:

All I know is it is a Giant cluster F...!

They forfeit 1 year of varsity eligibility. Period. 

Since they played varsity ball last year, ineligibly as it were, they still have yet to forfeit their year of eligibility.

It sucks but it is what it is. 

Without the one year sit out, the rule is trash. There has to be the one year sit out or take the rule off the books for future kids. I'd think that these would have to sit either way due to the rule being in effect currently. 

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

GA posters....

Happy to say that three 7A programs registered with the PGL site this week:

NG, Parkview and Norcross. They join Marietta, Buford, Grayson, John's Creek and Cedar Grove as current clients. 2019 OOS schedules will be better than ever!! 

One of those teams even inquired about visiting BG!! Let's go!!!

I wish Benedictine would... 

6 minutes ago, ron169 said:

So OlB, would you be ok if they allowed the students to play but all of the games this year are forfeited so like you said, the school gets punished not the players

Yes sir. But that’s  just me understanding their are kids being punished unjustly. If they deem that’s what the school gets for their mistake we couldn’t dispute that! 

I would hate to see that happen!

There was 6k in state transfers students this year that plays sports. We got 2 of them and all you hear is Marietta this and Marietta that! This good ole boy GHSA system should be shut down. 

I am starting to believe the Colquitt crew that Cobb and Gwinnett counties run that shit! Cobb coaches had it their way they would run Marietta out of Cobb😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OLB76 said:

There was 6k in state transfers students this year that plays sports. We got 2 of them and all you hear is Marietta this and Marietta that! This good ole boy GHSA system should be shut down. 

I am starting to believe the Colquitt crew that Cobb and Gwinnett counties run that shit! Cobb coaches had it their way they would run Marietta out of Cobb😂

It's true!

21 minutes ago, ron169 said:

So OlB, would you be ok if they allowed the students to play but all of the games this year are forfeited so like you said, the school gets punished not the players

This way, every other student athlete would be cut out of their chance for a championship. 

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. 

6ee08d45f7a94d4c6fda9ee84833054a687ddf77.jpg.4b52ed9dc586b9af7877e1894348494c.jpg

If they get eligibility back, it should be for the school where they live.  I think the parents have a responsibility as well.  I know the school filled out the forms but forms get filled out on behalf of people all the time.  Had the parents made sure they were in the right, this would never have come up.  I've heard a lot of conflicting statements about one kid moving in and then back out.  One family moved bought a house and moved in and is denied because of uncertainty over primary residence.  People claim the homestead exemption rules but the reality is that if you buy a house in the summer or fall you can't claim homestead until the following January to apply for that year, not the year you moved in.

I don't know.  The GHSA might lose but I don't see them caving in.  Their out is to restore eligibility where ever the kids came from for the questionable two kids.  The family that bought an $800,000 home should be given the benefit of the doubt.  The IRS looks at small businesses and says they have to make a profit 2 out of 5 years.  Part of that evaluation to see if it is a hobby vs a business is the cost of entry.  I have a small business but have several hundred thousand invested in capital equipment.  My accountant told me not to worry as it is obvious this is not a hobby.  To the same point, buying an $800,000 house certainly seems to signal a serious effort to move in.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fred said:

If they get eligibility back, it should be for the school where they live.  I think the parents have a responsibility as well.  I know the school filled out the forms but forms get filled out on behalf of people all the time.  Had the parents made sure they were in the right, this would never have come up.  I've heard a lot of conflicting statements about one kid moving in and then back out.  One family moved bought a house and moved in and is denied because of uncertainty over primary residence.  People claim the homestead exemption rules but the reality is that if you buy a house in the summer or fall you can't claim homestead until the following January to apply for that year, not the year you moved in.

I don't know.  The GHSA might lose but I don't see them caving in.  Their out is to restore eligibility where ever the kids came from for the questionable two kids.  The family that bought an $800,000 home should be given the benefit of the doubt.  The IRS looks at small businesses and says they have to make a profit 2 out of 5 years.  Part of that evaluation to see if it is a hobby vs a business is the cost of entry.  I have a small business but have several hundred thousand invested in capital equipment.  My accountant told me not to worry as it is obvious this is not a hobby.  To the same point, buying an $800,000 house certainly seems to signal a serious effort to move in.

I agree the parents share responsibility here. I asked a few parents down here the rule and they every one knew about the one year sit out. Shame on the parents in this situation for not knowing.

Pretty sure the house isnt in Marietta school district. The rub from our Marietta poster on here was, they were told they didn't have to buy in district, or the would have bought in the district. 

I agree, that if they want to play in their home district, that seems like a fair solution. Meet in the middle type of thing. It's the only plausible solution to a pretty big mess. 

Any other type of solution, either the courts step in and say the GHSA can't enforce their own bylaws, thereby dissolves the GHSA, or the GHSA caves and it's a free for all starting at the exact time of the ruling. 

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Pretty sure the house isnt in Marietta school district. The rub from our Marietta poster on here was, they were told they didn't have to buy in district, or the would have bought in the district. 

Ah, missed that on both here and GASVS.  If it is in the City limits it is in district.  If not it is one of those things that makes you go hmmmm?

The whole thing sounds fishy honestly. 

Folks know there are rules. Then they try to claim ignorance after they got caught. 

These certain ones could have bought im Marietta but decided not to because a school official said they didn't have to. etc.

They seem to be placing a lot of blame on the school for a lot of different stuff including their home purchase decision. 

xD

9 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Mariettas open enrollment... 

Does not matter if the athlete has established eligibility at a different school previously and not sat the year. 

Open enrollment simply means the student doesn't have to ever live in the district to play even after having established eligibility somewhere else. They have to sit the year of varsity though. 

As an example...

Because Colquitt County is not open enrollment, had Chase Parrish established varsity eligibility at another school, he would have either had to move into the district or he could never play for Colquitt because Colquitt is not open enrollment.

However, the same scenario with open enrollment would not require a move in, simply play jv one year to establish eligibility for varsity. This is the one year sit out rule. it's applicable to all students who have previously established eligibility and not moved into the district they want to play athletics at.

3 hours ago, OLB76 said:

GHSA has set a new appeal meeting Friday. They will not win the new appeal. It will end up in court again and drawed out as long as possible.

No one is changeling the out of district shit with GHSA. They are changeling the process of the punishment! How can you punish people who don’t fill the forms out?  They was never afforded the right to move into district because they was told they didn’t have to. Marietta City Schools employees children are afforded the right to go to school at any city school!

You punish the school not the students! GHSA says the students have no rights! This shit is like slavery imo! Go out and play a sport so we can make money off the kids but yet they don’t have any rights! 

IMO and I have a player on the team make the fine and punishment stiffer on the school not the kids! It like your friend gets caught speeding and they fine him and take your license because you are the passenger!

just my opinion!

Well we know at least one of the students had a chance to establish and actually moved back OUT of the Marietta district.

Did you forget that? What exactly is that particular family upset about?

6 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Mariettas open enrollment... 

https://www.marietta-city.org/Page/2389

2. May I enroll if I do not have proof of my residency inside the Marietta City Schools district?

No, providing verifiable proof that you currently reside in the Marietta City Schools district is a requirement for enrollment. Other than Homeless students and #9 (below), no exceptions will be made.

8. If I am not currently living in the Marietta City Schools district, but plan to move- in sometime in the future, may I attend Marietta City Schools now?

Students in grades 6-12 may qualify as a tuition student until such a time as they reside in the Marietta City Schools district. The student must complete a Non-resident application, be approved by the Superintendent and pay tuition until they move into the district. This option is not available to students in grades K-5.  For more information see .

Now this is really interesting.

https://www.marietta-city.org/cms/lib/GA01903590/Centricity/shared/files/district/registration/Non-Resident Student Enrollment Contract.pdf

CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTING NON RESIDENT TUITION STUDENTS
1) Above average grades and standardized test scores, history of good behavior, good attendance, and timely payment of past tuition fees.
2) Student can be accommodated by current instructional program services which will meet the educational, physical and emotional needs of the student without overcrowding classrooms.
3) Marietta City Schools must be able to accommodate the applicant without placing undue financial burden on the school system.
4) The student must provide Marietta City Schools the following documents in acceptable form before enrollment can be considered:
• The Transcript (report card and standardized test scores) from the student’s former school.
• Discipline records from student’s former school as required by the laws of the State of Georgia.
•Attendance Record from student’s former school.
5) Students are subject to suspension, dismissal or expulsion in accordance with any and all Marietta City Schools’ policies or regulations
and, upon any such dismissal or expulsion, all obligations of Marietta City Schools shall be null and void.
6) Students will not be eligible to play in varsity competition for the first year of enrollment, as governed by the Georgia High School Association By-Law 1.63
7) Marietta City Schools does not provide transportation for tuition students. Parents or Guardians are solely
responsible for the student’s transportation to and from school.
The Superintendent shall have the right to refuse admittance to any applicant if, in his/her opinion, accepting the student would not be in the best interest of the school system.

*emphasis on #6 added by me

It appears that if you are an open enrollment student, Marietta recognizes that you aren't eligible the first year.  I guess that is the method behind the desire to bypass the tuition route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

GA posters....

Happy to say that three 7A programs registered with the PGL site this week:

NG, Parkview and Norcross. They join Marietta, Buford, Grayson, John's Creek and Cedar Grove as current clients. 2019 OOS schedules will be better than ever!! 

One of those teams even inquired about visiting BG!! Let's go!!!

Visiting BG? Please let it be NG!

Thank you Fred for doing more research than the parents of these gifted student athletes.

It's a shame the person's at Marietta are not capable of doing the same extensive research that took you all of 3 minutes.

Not only did neither the parents nor administration research the policy, the school itself doesn't even know it's on stipulations for attending schools in Marietta. Knowing this, why would we expect them to know the GHSA bylaw?

2 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Thank you Fred for doing more research than the parents of these gifted student athletes.

It's a shame the person's at Marietta are not capable of doing the same extensive research that took you all of 3 minutes.

Not only did neither the parents nor administration research the policy, the school itself doesn't even know it's on stipulations for attending schools in Marietta. Knowing this, why would we expect them to know the GHSA bylaw?

Most of that was correcting the formatting errors from copying and pasting a pdf document to the message board viewer. 😎

14 minutes ago, Fred said:

Most of that was correcting the formatting errors from copying and pasting a pdf document to the message board viewer. 😎

So realistically, you found the information in the same amount of time it takes to call Marietta High School to only receive bad information. I'm sure the phone call actually took longer considering they needed to be transferred to the correct extension.

22 minutes ago, Fred said:

https://www.marietta-city.org/Page/2389

2. May I enroll if I do not have proof of my residency inside the Marietta City Schools district?

No, providing verifiable proof that you currently reside in the Marietta City Schools district is a requirement for enrollment. Other than Homeless students and #9 (below), no exceptions will be made.

8. If I am not currently living in the Marietta City Schools district, but plan to move- in sometime in the future, may I attend Marietta City Schools now?

Students in grades 6-12 may qualify as a tuition student until such a time as they reside in the Marietta City Schools district. The student must complete a Non-resident application, be approved by the Superintendent and pay tuition until they move into the district. This option is not available to students in grades K-5.  For more information see .

Now this is really interesting.

https://www.marietta-city.org/cms/lib/GA01903590/Centricity/shared/files/district/registration/Non-Resident Student Enrollment Contract.pdf

CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTING NON RESIDENT TUITION STUDENTS
1) Above average grades and standardized test scores, history of good behavior, good attendance, and timely payment of past tuition fees.
2) Student can be accommodated by current instructional program services which will meet the educational, physical and emotional needs of the student without overcrowding classrooms.
3) Marietta City Schools must be able to accommodate the applicant without placing undue financial burden on the school system.
4) The student must provide Marietta City Schools the following documents in acceptable form before enrollment can be considered:
• The Transcript (report card and standardized test scores) from the student’s former school.
• Discipline records from student’s former school as required by the laws of the State of Georgia.
•Attendance Record from student’s former school.
5) Students are subject to suspension, dismissal or expulsion in accordance with any and all Marietta City Schools’ policies or regulations
and, upon any such dismissal or expulsion, all obligations of Marietta City Schools shall be null and void.
6) Students will not be eligible to play in varsity competition for the first year of enrollment, as governed by the Georgia High School Association By-Law 1.63
7) Marietta City Schools does not provide transportation for tuition students. Parents or Guardians are solely
responsible for the student’s transportation to and from school.
The Superintendent shall have the right to refuse admittance to any applicant if, in his/her opinion, accepting the student would not be in the best interest of the school system.

*emphasis on #6 added by me

It appears that if you are an open enrollment student, Marietta recognizes that you aren't eligible the first year.  I guess that is the method behind the desire to bypass the tuition route.

This is all Fake News !!!!!!

Rufus>>

• Haha 1