Phillips vs Pickerington Central game thread

Bones

1 minute ago, DB4 said:

This game has nothing to do with it my man. PC is great and they're taking advantage of Phillips mistakes on top of executing what they do well. Has nothing to do with Phillips being one of the better teams in the state of Illinois though. Which they still will be no matter how this game winds up. 4A, 5A, 6A, 9A, 12A, I don't care.

But good for you good man. You were proven right and get the last laugh today. And you get to brag about class size or something. 

We'll never really know how good they are actually. For example you say I have a bias against small schools, perhaps. But East St. Louis is a 5A sized school that refuses to play 5A because they feel it's beneath them. They request up to 7A where they think they can compete against better competition. I respect the hell out of them for it. They know 5A doesnt provide the type of competition theyre looking for. They don't request up into 8A though. Could be 32 better 8A schools than Phillips, 32 7A, and 32 6A for all we know. I highly doubt it, but they did struggle with a Loyola with half the starters out and a QB fresh off of a broken thumb.

But if you want to beat your chest over this have at it. 

Much props to PC. Very solid, don't beat themselves. Phillips today, on the other hand, beat themselves with a ton of mistakes on top of how good PC was. Phillips will be fine even by next week, but definitely by the time they get to the games that matter.

Idk as much about PC bc I don't follow Ohio HS FB as much but it seems like they picked up where they left off from last season.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bones said:

We'll never really know how good they are actually. For example you say I have a bias against small schools, perhaps. But East St. Louis is a 5A sized school that refuses to play 5A because they feel it's beneath them. They request up to 7A where they think they can compete against better competition. I respect the hell out of them for it. They know 5A doesnt provide the type of competition theyre looking for. They don't request up into 8A though. Could be 32 better 8A schools than Phillips, 32 7A, and 32 6A for all we know. I highly doubt it, but they did struggle with a Loyola with half the starters out and a QB fresh off of a broken thumb.

But if you want to beat your chest over this have at it. 

I'm not the one beating my chest. Simply saying Phillips shouldn't be discounted because of the number of kids enrolled at their school. If you want to say that a good OC can carve up their defense, fine. You want to say they need to clean up all the mistakes, sure. But "they're a 5A and cant hang with us big schools" is not close to the top of reasons why, in my opinion. You don't agree, then you don't agree.

2 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Was pulling for Phillips in this one, then the size and speed of Pick Central capitalized before halftime. 

I look for Phillips to hyperimprove in the games into state. 

Interesting to see how Phillips season plays out. Pick has a nice squad, maybe a faster start and establish tempo. 

Regards

BGW

The problem Phillips has to deal with is that they don't play anyone of any consequence until the playoffs. If they want to continue their growth into national relevance, they need to schedule "up" more games outside of the CPL which IMO is one of, if not, the worst conference in the country. They will take some losses but will learn and grow from that ( just like today's game experience )... eventually leading to a team competitive with most anyone.

• Like 1

I give Phillips points for effort and some good plays...but i think that a good dose of realism needs to be injected into schools like Trinity Catholic and Phillips. Please climb a few mores hills before you take on the top teams from 2 of the best states...Ga. and Ohio. This is a simple case of trying to grow up too fast. For OOS games...... Phillips should reach out to teams like Iowa City.......Plymouth Wayzata, Mn. perhaps a few in Wisc. like Brookfield Central......even Kimberly. Plenty of teams in Illinois to fit that bill as well. Maybe Phillips should play TC....

5 hours ago, Bones said:

This one intrigues because there are a lot of dynamics at play: PC being the returning large class champs of a top football state, but graduated a lot of players. Phillips returns a healthy amount of players and has P5 prospects and is the defending 5A champs (4th tier out of 8). PC is #2 in OH on Maxpreps, Phillips is #3 in IL. The IL and Chicago media have Phillips any where from #1 in IL to #3 in the Chicago area... which I vehemently disagree with. Not sure how the local OH media is touting PC. I'll be pulling for the Chicago kids, obviously, but I think this will be a learning experience for them in biting and chewing proportions.

prediction: PC 42 Phillips 6

49-18 final.   Nice call. 👍

Was a nice 22 minute, 2 pt spread tilt.  HC got maybe a little greedy, but I’m sure he and OC didn’t tell his QB to count to 7 in the pocket and be a piñata.   He looked like he was eyeing a 7 on 7 4th move by a wr in a combine camp.  The second fumble and eventual missed tackle on the QB prior to the TD reception was brutal.  Still fun to see new schools in action.  It was an entertaining half.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Ohio guys, how would you rank Ohio's top, say, 5, after what you've seen so far?

Haven't seen the Mentor Eds game yet.....

But I would say after week 1 it's a pretty tight group with a lot of teams....if I had to rank them it would be

Colerain, Hoban, Pick Central, Mentor, St. Eds, St. Ignatius, Pick North, St. X, Elder

Pretty close group. Based on week 1, this could be one of the best years for Ohio in awhile. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

I would say that the Phillips/PC game exposed weaknesses for both teams.......many more for Phillips.To start.....please find a place kicker in your school  If you want to establish yourself at the National level.......There are 655 kids at Phillips, there has to be one person that has that potential. You never want to leave points on the field. The Linemen looked fat and out of shape......by the 2nd Qt. they had their hands on their hips. Please find more ways to get the ball to your Alabama recruit....Billingsley is a TD waiting to happen. The DEF. Co-ordinator must learn how to adapt to changes as the game goes along. The problem is that Phillips can and has gotten away with these deficiencies in IL 5A because there speed and athletes can overcome them. But...not at the level of a team like PC. I was not overly impressed with PC...but they did make the necessary adjustments as the game progressed. As for PC.....I think they need to work on their secondary.......and the middle of their Def must be strengthened. If they had played Loyola Academy or Lincoln-Way East instead of Phillips..it would have been a completely different game.Both Def are strong and good enough to stuff the run and would have covered the receivers much better on their routes.

It seems like Ohio may be stronger overall than the last several years.....Probably 4-5 top 50 teams.

9 hours ago, abbatt said:

I would say that the Phillips/PC game exposed weaknesses for both teams.......many more for Phillips.To start.....please find a place kicker in your school  If you want to establish yourself at the National level.......There are 655 kids at Phillips, there has to be one person that has that potential. You never want to leave points on the field. The Linemen looked fat and out of shape......by the 2nd Qt. they had their hands on their hips. Please find more ways to get the ball to your Alabama recruit....Billingsley is a TD waiting to happen. The DEF. Co-ordinator must learn how to adapt to changes as the game goes along. The problem is that Phillips can and has gotten away with these deficiencies in IL 5A because there speed and athletes can overcome them. But...not at the level of a team like PC. I was not overly impressed with PC...but they did make the necessary adjustments as the game progressed. As for PC.....I think they need to work on their secondary.......and the middle of their Def must be strengthened. If they had played Loyola Academy or Lincoln-Way East instead of Phillips..it would have been a completely different game.Both Def are strong and good enough to stuff the run and would have covered the receivers much better on their routes.

It seems like Ohio may be stronger overall than the last several years.....Probably 4-5 top 50 teams.

There are more than 5 top 50 Ohio squads but no one will get on here and beg to have everyone ranked.  Ohio is always strong.  There is never a drop off despite what a lot of folk want you to believe.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

There are more than 5 top 50 Ohio squads but no one will get on here and beg to have everyone ranked.  Ohio is always strong.  There is never a drop off despite what a lot of folk want you to believe.

got to agree..... obviously I think we'll see a lot more in the coming weeks, but I think the 9 teams I listed are all gonna be very good and right there with each other......the problem is most all of them will play multiple games against each other, and there'll never be great records, unless there's a OIAG type team. In addition, because we have a great playoff system, alot of our top teams will have to play each other 2x's in a season, making it even more difficult to attain great records.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Haven't seen the Mentor Eds game yet.....

But I would say after week 1 it's a pretty tight group with a lot of teams....if I had to rank them it would be

Colerain, Hoban, Pick Central, Mentor, St. Eds, St. Ignatius, Pick North, St. X, Elder

Pretty close group. Based on week 1, this could be one of the best years for Ohio in awhile. 

Here are the Ed's/Mentor highlights

11 hours ago, nptb17 said:

There are more than 5 top 50 Ohio squads but no one will get on here and beg to have everyone ranked.  Ohio is lalways strong.  There is never a drop off despite what a lot of folk want you to believe.

What really sets Ohio apart ( maybe even from Texas ) is the elite level of play evenly spread throughout the state. Like most, its the same usual suspects at the top but I think more percapita. Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus all produce "high level programs" that make the playoffs always worth following.

14 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

What really sets Ohio apart ( maybe even from Texas ) is the elite level of play evenly spread throughout the state. Like most, its the same usual suspects at the top but I think more percapita. Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus all produce "high level programs" that make the playoffs always worth following.

True, and you get very impressive small school programs throughout the rest of the state. 

• Thanks 1

As I perceive it...Football is like religion in 3 states....Texas...Georgia and Ohio. The level of coaching......youth programs...fan and media support...,and level and quality of programs from top to bottom is impressive. Sure every state has weak programs including these 3 but overall I believe that these 3 states are the standard. for excellence.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Texas says HI! I can't believe PC is a top 25 team vs a school with 6-700 students...sorry.