This Texas school that inspired "Friday Night Lights" is overcrowded amid oil boom. One class has 63 kids.

RedZone

Just one one of the many stories....

Record enrollment is putting a strain on the already low-performing Ector County Independent School District. In Odessa, school administrators and teachers are parents are asking: Where are we going to put all of these kids?

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/04/05/texas-school-inspired-friday-night-lights-overcrowded-amid-oil-boom-on/

6 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

That article highlights about a half-dozen things wrong with Texas.

Man am I glad I don't live there....sweet Jesus in heaven, what a cluster.

-93CardinalsFan

I can only imagine a school with 4500-5000 kids..

Football powerhouse North Shore is close to 5000 in enrollment as of 2017. 

"

At the top of the list was Galena Park ISD's North Shore High School with 4,754 students, according to data released by the University Interscholastic League (UIL).

North Shore also ranked as the 16th largest high school in the country, according to high-schools.com."

https://www.chron.com/news/education/article/houston-high-schools-highest-enrollment-2017-12422338.php

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

That’s not every district, many are doing fine.  It’s a great state to live IMO

We need to build a Wall around Texas.😀  DFW is now the 4th largest Metro in the U.S. just look at Frisco and McKinney.  Frisco just built schools like crazed.  People move to prosperity if they are smart.   4 of the 15 largest cities in the U.S are in Texas. Houston is now only 300k behind Chicago.

#4 Houston 2.34m. #7 San Antonio 1.54m #9 Dallas 1.36mil #11. Austin 983K #14 Ft. Worth 894k

Crazy growth

• Like 1

If it's so bad.. why would Peyton Powell (who is announcing his commitment tomorrow btw) leave the friendly and comfy confines of Midland Christian to attend the "horrible" Odessa Permian? I don't get it... why would anyone downgrade like that?

Could it be, that it's actually not as bad as the media tries to portray it to be?

Image result for hmm gif

Sure has been a lot of transfers FROM private to public in Texas over the summer..  why?

17 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Man am I glad I don't live there....sweet Jesus in heaven, what a cluster.

Texas is one of the few places I'd put my kids in public over private. Don't believe the hype.

No state taxes, housing at a good cost, nice jobs, economy is straight, BBQ is even better... and we have the best football. Why would you wanna live anywhere else? 

6 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

I have family in Kingwood and they love it there. Texas has good food, women, and football. I haven’t been but I honestly can’t see how I wouldn’t like it 

I haven't been to Kingwood but I have Family in Houston and Ft.Worth.... 

Don't really talk to my Ft.worth family alot but the aunt who raised me is in Houston... 

Been out there twice unfortunately I didn't get to watch any games... But Katy,Plano and Denton are nice areas

Hotels west of Sweetwater are hard to get and very expensive.  Booked room in Big Springs couple weeks back and paid over 300.00 for the night.  The same hotel in Houston was just over 100

some folks in West Texas are renting yard space/electricity/water for RV’s for around 1000 per month.

The drive from from Abilene to Odessa/ Midland is sight to see with all the pump Jacks going and the Wind Mills for electricity.

Odessa and Midland are actually pretty cool towns.  It’s very obvious if you have spent much time in West Texas the impact that the oil business had at one time or another on many different towns.   

10 hours ago, DevilDog said:

We need to build a Wall around Texas.😀  DFW is now the 4th largest Metro in the U.S. just look at Frisco and McKinney.  Frisco just built schools like crazed.  People move to prosperity if they are smart.   4 of the 15 largest cities in the U.S are in Texas. Houston is now only 300k behind Chicago.

#4 Houston 2.34m. #7 San Antonio 1.54m #9 Dallas 1.36mil #11. Austin 983K #14 Ft. Worth 894k

Crazy growth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

If I hadn’t just sat in a bad traffic jam I wouldn’t post the above link.  Doesn’t mean anything just that apartments and houses are getting smaller and traffic heavier.  There is no longer any countryside between D.C. and Baltimore and it is probably more than a hundred miles from the farthest suburb to the farthest suburb.

Without a cow in sight.

But ten million can stock several really good private football teams. As can almost nineteen million in Southern California.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RedZone said:

I can only imagine a school with 4500-5000 kids..

Football powerhouse North Shore is close to 5000 in enrollment as of 2017. 

"

At the top of the list was Galena Park ISD's North Shore High School with 4,754 students, according to data released by the University Interscholastic League (UIL).

North Shore also ranked as the 16th largest high school in the country, according to high-schools.com."

https://www.chron.com/news/education/article/houston-high-schools-highest-enrollment-2017-12422338.php

Several publics in Florida have well over 4,000 kids. Before they built Wekiva, Apopka was over 4,000. Currently Cypress Bay in Broward County has over 4,500. 

7 hours ago, Texasball said:

Did you know that the first Hotel owned by “Conrad Hilton” aka Hilton Hotels was in Cisco Texas

I didn't but I'm in one here in Winston Salem.  Heard on the radio due to hurricane Florence they are pushing up the NC football championships 1 week.  To the 14th of Dec vice the 7th.   Damn I miss Texas🤣