The IPCC Report on Climate Change

World Citizen

I am curious as to what everyone thinks about this.  Pretty serious problem we all face and unless we all work towards addressing it we will most definitely deserve what will come.  There is not 1 single thing or 1 single person on the planet that will not be affected by climate change, and most of them will be the poor and disadvantaged.

If you are a skeptic and simply do not believe what the science is telling us and what the scientist have been warning us for the last 45 years I beg you to do some research and study this topic.  And if you are a skeptic and reply to this post please have some logical reasoning for your position. 

The report is not an easy read and I have not finished it yet but I encourage everyone to check it out.

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/10/ipcc-report-climate-change-impacts-forests-emissions/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I am curious as to what everyone thinks about this.  Pretty serious problem we all face and unless we all work towards addressing it we will most definitely deserve what will come.  There is not 1 single thing or 1 single person on the planet that will not be affected by climate change, and most of them will be the poor and disadvantaged.

If you are a skeptic and simply do not believe what the science is telling us and what the scientist have been warning us for the last 45 years I beg you to do some research and study this topic.  And if you are a skeptic and reply to this post please have some logical reasoning for your position. 

The report is not an easy read and I have not finished it yet but I encourage everyone to check it out.

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/10/ipcc-report-climate-change-impacts-forests-emissions/

It is a very scary report. Taken in the context of the USA being the second largest producer of greenhouse gasses on the planet, it is very, very discouraging particularly with the current administration rolling back policies that were already too weak as they were. 

The future is not bright. Or perhaps it is too bright, to make fun of a very scary matter.  I am an old man, so its effects may not have much effect on my life. However, as someone that has kids and that also cares for my species (the human race), I am very deeply concerned. 

I am sure the usual suspects will come out of the woodwork and trash this report, particularly since there was some controversy over work done by this body in the past. But I fear they will do so at their own peril. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It is a very scary report. Taken in the context of the USA being the second largest producer of greenhouse gasses on the planet, it is very, very discouraging particularly with the current administration rolling back policies that were already too weak as they were. 

The future is not bright. Or perhaps it is too bright, to make fun of a very scary matter.  I am an old man, so its effects may not have much effect on my life. However, as someone that has kids and that also cares for my species (the human race), I am very deeply concerned. 

I am sure the usual suspects will come out of the woodwork and trash this report, particularly since there was some controversy over work done by this body in the past. But I fear they will do so at their own peril. 

Watch video above. The whole 8 minutes. Then you guys can go back to Virtue signaling 😂

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

They will do so and are doing so at not only their peril but everyone's. 

We both will experience some of it for sure.  Everyone on the West coast has been experiencing the effects for a few years now whether they want to admit it or not.  Even up at the Canadian border the smoke from the fires in British Columbia have made our summers smoke filled and the fires all along the coast is now the new normal. 

I hear you on the usual suspects.  It is a damn shame that a small % of this country have their head in the sand and are basically running the show.  The climate simply does not care whether you believe in it or not.  And if the IPCC is too suspicious of an organization to be believed then there are countless other organizations with reports that they can choose from.  There is no shortage of reports and information out there and it only takes a simple Google search.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Watch this and get back to me 

Didn't even watch it but will later bc Carlin is funny.  He is not a scientist however and you should look to a scientist for information regarding this. 

Btw, the planet will be fine and can adapt but humans...not so much and even if humans can live in a warmer world it will not be pleasant or easy for nearly everyone. 

Couldn't you find some obscure non expert person on twitter or social media to make your case? 

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Didn't even watch it but will later bc Carlin is funny.  He is not a scientist however and you should look to a scientist for information regarding this. 

Btw, the planet will be fine and can adapt but humans...not so much and even if humans can live in a warmer world it will not be pleasant or easy for nearly everyone. 

Couldn't you find some obscure non expert person on twitter or social media to make your case? 

Sadly no. I will wait for Tucker Carlson to give the 411 😂

US carbon emissions are down significantly since the early 2000s.  This is while we help feed much of the world.

China's are growing.

India's are growing.

Can anyone point me to a source that has a reliable climate model (!) and a plan to reduce carbon emissions without crippling the world economy? (And avoiding all the chaos which that would entail)

I am not a complete "denier", but I do question the true magnitude of mankind's effect, the reliability of climate science and estimates (generally not good) and our ability to impact carbon emissions meaningfully. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, concha said:

I am not a complete "denier"

That is very comforting to know. Bully for you! (This is actually not tongue in cheek.)

One central problem is the fact that they are probably too many humans on earth given our existing state of technology. But that raises an important question that will never be honestly addressed, and which also is not favorable to capitalism which relies on growth in order to keep the masses happy.

That question is: how can our population be curtailed? It can be done rationally and humanely or it can be done by the use of force. Given human history, I shudder to think of what may be on the horizon. 

59 minutes ago, concha said:

US carbon emissions are down significantly since the early 2000s.  This is while we help feed much of the world.

Started declining around 2005 and the start of the gas shale era and as we used more of gas we used less on coal and I think that is most responsible for our declining emissions. 

China's are growing.

India's are growing.

A problem for sure.  The populations of these countries is offsetting any progress so far but it can be managed IMHO. 

Can anyone point me to a source that has a reliable climate model (!) and a plan to reduce carbon emissions without crippling the world economy? (And avoiding all the chaos which that would entail)

The link to the IPCC report in first post is pretty comprehensive and speaks to pathways to reduce carbon and still have an economy.  But, I can't imagine that there will not be a major adjustment and some pain.  The same pain that happens when change occurs or tech advances force some industry's to either die or adapt and change with the times.  Taking a step back and looking big picture, the economy will be fine and will adjust as new markets open up and new opportunities present themselves.  The underappreciated aspect of climate change is the cost of not doing anything, which will dwarf any temporary money lost as we transition to using less fossil fuels.  And the transition is only temporary while not doing anything will costs us every year for the foreseeable future when the food and water shortages come about.

We the people will have the most difficult time with adjustments as opposed to the economy imo. 

As for a source, I find this site very interesting and there are many discussions from a wide range of viewpoints and along the right side of page there are many links. http://www.realclimate.org/

I am not a complete "denier", but I do question the true magnitude of mankind's effect, the reliability of climate science and estimates (generally not good) and our ability to impact carbon emissions meaningfully. 

The calculating of CO2 minus the carbon sinks is fairly well understood. 

The following is a copy and paste from the above web site and It is logical.

But to suggest that the natural environment has arbitrarily decided to start increasing the flux of CO2 into the atmosphere, right around the same time we are doing it is bizarre.

If we see CO2 increasing in the atmosphere, and humans emitting enough CO2 to account for that rise, then you have to go through some odd contortions to avoid a connection. You would have to postulate a suddenly increased natural sink (to remove the human CO2) and then a suddenly increased natural source (to increase the atmospheric CO2) 

Your mention of our reduced emissions is a direct result of our using less coal so I think we can have a huge impact.  If people put their mind to it there is nothing that we cannot do.  Humans are built for this type of problem solving.  

Thanks for the post.

15 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Watch this and get back to me 

Seems you totally missed Carlin's point. Why am I not surprised?

Bottom line: for our own survival, we need to start acting like intelligent life. However, given the scarcity of intelligence within this so called, intelligent species, we probably won't. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

That is very comforting to know. Bully for you! (This is actually not tongue in cheek.)

One central problem is the fact that they are probably too many humans on earth given our existing state of technology. But that raises an important question that will never be honestly addressed, and which also is not favorable to capitalism which relies on growth in order to keep the masses happy.

That question is: how can our population be curtailed? It can be done rationally and humanely or it can be done by the use of force. Given human history, I shudder to think of what may be on the horizon. 

I've been saying for years that we must do something about the population. There are way too many people in this world. 

On 10/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, Nolebull813 said:

go back to Virtue signaling 😂

On 10/9/2018 at 9:01 PM, concha said:

On 10/9/2018 at 10:33 PM, Mjd33 said:

Read the research on Vostok Ice core samples data.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:03 AM, HSFBfan said:

There are way too many people in this world. 

At least we've got some fresh ideas on the table.

Nice work, boys. You don't disappoint. 

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

At least we've got some fresh ideas on the table.

Nice work, boys. You don't disappoint. 

Here's an idea just for you Belly up. 

Sell your car and get a bike. If your job is too far, find another job in biking distance. Use the money from the car to pay bills during your transition to the new closer job. 

Make sure to not run your AC anymore and just open the windows to get the fresh California air. 

Solar panels are already up I presume. 

Belly up!!! 

9 minutes ago, Bormio said:

These climate change people need to shut off their computers and get off the internet.  All the electricity used to power our computers is doing us in.

That's right! They need to get off the grid. Get rid of the oven, dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, AC, and car. 

After that, and only after that, I will consider listening to what they have to say 😂

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

Here's an idea just for you Belly up. 

Sell your car and get a bike. If your job is too far, find another job in biking distance. Use the money from the car to pay bills during your transition to the new closer job. 

Make sure to not run your AC anymore and just open the windows to get the fresh California air. 

Solar panels are already up I presume. 

Belly up!!! 

44 minutes ago, Bormio said:

These climate change people need to shut off their computers and get off the internet.  All the electricity used to power our computers is doing us in.

34 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

That's right! They need to get off the grid. Get rid of the oven, dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, AC, and car. 

After that, and only after that, I will consider listening to what they have to say 😂

Oh, good. Yet another fresh perspective. 

But why stop there? Stop teasing and get the whole list of stock responses up. 

And then let's do it yet again in about 3 weeks. 

On 10/9/2018 at 9:18 PM, NorCalRuss said:

The simple answer is what are you and the 7 billion peeps willing to give up to make this change? Answer for high percentage of most people in world is they’re not willing to do what’s needed to be done. 

Not until there’s no other choice other than to adapt when that time comes. 

Sadly I think you are right.  Neccessity is the mother of all inventions.  Or something like that.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 11:05 PM, BigDrop said:

I find it incredible that anyone on this board would not take this report seriously.  It is science.  This is not about Trump:  it is about our future.

These days, most people follow their party line instead of thinking things out rationally.  It's a sad state.

• Like 1