Best HS player you've seen in person

GrecoRoman

3 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Easily the 2001 playoff game against St. Ed’s when he rushed for 400 yards and 5 TDs. 

And if I recall correctly, he followed that up with a 300 all-purpose yard performance in a losing effort to eventual champion St. Ignatius the next week. 

Maurice started out great at Ohio. Too bad he found his way into so much trouble, he would have been hard to stop in the NFL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I'm sure you want to do some research to figure out how many QB's that year had more Interceptions, right.

In order to throw interceptions, a quarterback has to competent enough to miss receivers close enough for a defender to make a play on the ball.

Tebow was the only qualifying quarterback to complete less than 50% of his passes in 2011. He was waaaaaay below 50% too. He was last by far.

Tebow sucked, Cat_Scratch.

Nobody screwed him. He was just terrible.

His throwing motion was ugly, so what, lots of good QB's have ugly throwing motions.

No. His throwing motion was long and slow.

And because of that he couldn't throw into small NFL windows.

Because of that he couldn't hit receivers that would considered "open" in the NFL. He required receivers to be uncovered, basically, to complete a pass.

I know a few Superbowl QB's that were not that good at passing. I'm sure you want to do some research to figure out how many QB's that year had more Interceptions, right. Football isn't just about passing the ball. Tebow could read a defense in a blink, and usually make a good play out of a bad situation. His throwing motion was ugly, so what, lots of good QB's have ugly throwing motions. What you can't teach is Great football sense and Tebow had that. He beat the odds when he took the Bronco's to the playoffs and won more playoff games than any QB in their rookie year that I can remember. Good for you that you are part of that group of Tebow haters. You, the greatest football guru/analyst in the world should  know that even Payton had a worse rookie year than Tebow.  

I would have felt sorry for Tebow except he was given offers to play in arena football (and Canada if i recall correctly) and instead of proving it mattered to him to be a NFL qb (Like Kurt Warner did)  he expected a NFL job to be handed to him

If he really wanted to play bad enough he would have did what Warner did but he obviously didn't have the same drive as Kurt Warner 

He beat the odds when he took the Bronco's to the playoffs and won more playoff games than any QB in their rookie year that I can remember. Good for you that you are part of that group of Tebow haters.

Yeah, he really beat the odds by going 8-8 and winning a home playoff game in OT by completing 10 passes.

Then losing in the Divisional Round by about 100 points.

I'm not a hater. I'm a realist.

He sucked because his numbers and his performance say so.

You're on here trying to massage and parse every word because you're a deluded Tebow fanboy.

6 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

No. His throwing motion was long and slow.

And because of that he couldn't throw into small NFL windows.

Because of that he couldn't hit receivers that would considered "open" in the NFL. He required receivers to be uncovered, basically, to complete a pass.

Bingo

That's what's different from College to NFL 

Even the badass SEC can't mimic the challenges qbs will face in the NFL and they either have to adjust or be left behind 

I know a few Superbowl QB's that were not that good at passing. I'm sure you want to do some research to figure out how many QB's that year had more Interceptions, right. Football isn't just about passing the ball. Tebow could read a defense in a blink, and usually make a good play out of a bad situation. His throwing motion was ugly, so what, lots of good QB's have ugly throwing motions. What you can't teach is Great football sense and Tebow had that. He beat the odds when he took the Bronco's to the playoffs and won more playoff games than any QB in their rookie year that I can remember. Good for you that you are part of that group of Tebow haters. You, the greatest football guru/analyst in the world should  know that even Payton had a worse rookie year than Tebow.  

Yeah guys like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won super bowls but they also had 2 defenses that were among the best in NFL history and they tended to play safe and not screw it up

The Broncos had a solid defense but they were never going to be contenders with Tebow at qb because Tebow isn't good enough qb to beat NE 

They needed Peyton Manning to beat Tom Brady and the Patriots, Tebow's broncos would have never stood a chance against them and that was shown clear with how decisively the Patriots crushed them in the divisional playoffs

You, the greatest football guru/analyst in the world should  know that even Payton had a worse rookie year than Tebow.  

The level of incompetence and delusion is off the charts.

2011 wasn't Tebow's rookie year. It was his second year. But I'll go along with your ignorance and pretend that 2011 was his rookie year just to appease you.

Tebow: 126 of 271 (46.5%), 1,729 yards, 12 TD's, 6 INTs

Manning: 326 of 575 (56.7%), 3,739 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs

Peyton Manning led the league in pass attempts as a rookie. Why? Because they knew he was really, really good and they had a bad team and their only way to compete was to let Peyton sling it.

Tebow had a team that went 13-3 the following year and was the #1 seed in the AFC. Yet somehow being a 46% passer and going 8-8 is some kind of miracle?

The 2012 Broncos removed Tim Tebow and was instantly the #1 seed in the AFC.

By inserting who?

Peyton Manning.

A couple Mullen players stood out when I watched them, and one Valor player.

Vincent White (VW) - 5'8", 180, with a rear end the size of a VW; quickest player I recall (Darren Sproles type); played back when tear-away half jerseys were in vogue, and taped cleats (dude looked legit); went to Stanford, where as a RB/Slot he lead the nation in receiving (passes from John Elway), then was drafted by the Jets, but chose the USFL; not a pro career at all, but in high school he was, as John Madden would describe such players, "So quick and fast that he was never IT when playing tag"

Bo Scaife - 6'3", 220 TE who returned kickoffs; looked like Leonard Fournette or Marcus Dupree (although not as fast as either, he was faster than his opponents); went on to Texas and then some nice years with the Titans; in high school, he was obviously a special athlete

Christian McCaffrey - in the NFL, he makes some talented defenders miss; in college, he made a lot of defenders miss; in high school, he made damn near every potential tackler miss; could start and stop on a dime, with vision unlike other high schoolers; very fun to watch

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

and one Valor player.

Christian McCaffrey - in the NFL, he makes some talented defenders miss; in college, he made a lot of defenders miss; in high school, he made damn near every potential tackler miss; could start and stop on a dime, with vision unlike other high schoolers; very fun to watch

Great call on this one.  I watched his father and uncle light it up in Allentown PA back in the day.  Both were excellent athletes as well.

2 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

Affirmative. I actually meant Joe Yearby. Cook played sparingly against Elder in 2011, but Yearby lit it up. 

Just looked seems elder was not that good that season and got smacked around in state. And MC forfeited every win that season? 

Pretty crazy how cook distanced himself from yearby as a much better pro prospect in college. 

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

A couple Mullen players stood out when I watched them, and one Valor player.

Vincent White (VW) - 5'8", 180, with a rear end the size of a VW; quickest player I recall (Darren Sproles type); played back when tear-away half jerseys were in vogue, and taped cleats (dude looked legit); went to Stanford, where as a RB/Slot he lead the nation in receiving (passes from John Elway), then was drafted by the Jets, but chose the USFL; not a pro career at all, but in high school he was, as John Madden would describe such players, "So quick and fast that he was never IT when playing tag"

Bo Scaife - 6'3", 220 TE who returned kickoffs; looked like Leonard Fournette or Marcus Dupree (although not as fast as either, he was faster than his opponents); went on to Texas and then some nice years with the Titans; in high school, he was obviously a special athlete

Lendale White?

Just now, PrepGridiron said:

Lendale White?

Yes, there are a number of really good players we've all seen. Lendale was great all through high school (1,000+ yards as a Freshman); another USC guy, Tony Boselli, was a man on the high school field; Dave Logan was a Jack Del Rio 3-sport all american-type guy; I saw Mike Pennel (current NY Jet) play his first high school football game ever halfway through his senior year (ineligible for first 3 1/2 years) and couldn't believe what I was seeing; and on and on. But some just stood out a bit more when I saw them.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

Just looked seems elder was not that good that season and got smacked around in state. And MC forfeited every win that season? 

Pretty crazy how cook distanced himself from yearby as a much better pro prospect in college. 

Yeah, they definitely took different paths in college. Yearby made some less than stellar decisions.

MC was a FL Top 5 that year before the forfeits...Elder had them beat and let it slip away. IIRC, it was their first OOS game ever, so one would have to cut them some slack I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

Yeah, they definitely took different paths in college. Yearby made some less than stellar decisions.

MC was a FL Top 5 that year before the forfeits...Elder had them beat and let it slip away. IIRC, it was their first OOS game ever, so one would have to cut them some slack I guess.

So In 11 yearby and cook were sophomores because when MC blew up don bosco it was 13 And they were seniors. 

• Like 1