Best HS player you've seen in person

GrecoRoman

Derrick Henry,

Deshaun Watson....

Watson got one win off of us, watched these guys explode in college, although both had stellar HS careers. But not against that Buford 'D'.

Henry had 80 yards against us, buddy of mine from Yulee said Derrick Henry would run in the morning before school and work out after practice, was a workout demon.

Regards,

BGW

• Like 1

Craig "Ironhead" Heyward. Played for Passaic High School in NJ then went on to Pitt. First round draft pick by the Saints went on to have a 11 year NFL career making 1 Pro Bowl. Played offense (RB), Defense (LB), punted & kicked as well as special teams on D. The guy could do it all. Played in early 1980's & was first team All American both in high school & his senior year at Pitt.

• Like 2

Craig "Ironhead" Heyward. Passaic, NJ early '80s. Played RB, LB, Punted & kicked as well as playing special teams on defense. Never left the field.  All American in both high school & college (Pitt) & first round draft pick. 11 year career making 1 Pro Bowl. His son is having a nice career with the Steelers.

33 minutes ago, prep82 said:

Craig "Ironhead" Heyward. Passaic, NJ early '80s. Played RB, LB, Punted & kicked as well as playing special teams on defense. Never left the field.  All American in both high school & college (Pitt) & first round draft pick. 11 year career making 1 Pro Bowl. His son is having a nice career with the Steelers.

I was at the BC vs Passaic game at BC.Ironhead was outgained by BC's Mike Morgan but Passaic won the game.Not sure of the score though.

3 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I was at a game in which he ran the ball 40 times for over 300 yards and looked bored while doing it.

He also played safety that game and knocked the opposing team's QB out of the game. It was one of those hits where the whole crowd went "Oh!". 

Still, I'd have to go with Matt Grooteogoed. 

Good stuff.  Groots was great and should be on this list.  But for me personally seeing him, I also saw him get popped taking a handoff and fumble, almost resulting in a 90 yard scoop 6 for St. Paul

14 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Great choices there.  Think of this - Williams was 20 lbs heavier than Peppers and Cook and he ran a better 40 time than both.   (barely but that's not the point - that extra 20 lbs is a lot and it was nothing buy solid.  He would have decapitated either of these guys at TB if they met head up in  the hole  in my opinion)

Cook was just unstoppable though.  I’m sure a bunch of guys run raster 40s or eere stronger, but in HS with the ball in his hands....was something else.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Derrick Henry,

Deshaun Watson....

Watson got one win off of us, watched these guys explode in college, although both had stellar HS careers. But not against that Buford 'D'.

Henry had 80 yards against us, buddy of mine from Yulee said Derrick Henry would run in the morning before school and work out after practice, was a workout demon.

Regards,

BGW

Probably the lowest Henry was held to in High school.

• Like 1

Cartersville (now Clemson) QB Trevor Lawrence surpassed Deshaun Watson as the best HS quarterback I’ve seen in person. Sunshine has ridiculous arm talent , I believe he will be special on Sundays 

Buford RB Darius Walker was THE GUY to me growing up. Rushed for 5500 yards in GHSA. Obviously the competition he played against wasn’t the best but he was my favorite player when I started loving this sport. 

Greg Reid at Lowndes as mentioned above was hell on wheels. Never lived up to his HS superstar potential at FSU but the way he took over games in HS in every phase was d-o-m-i-n-a-n-t  

And lastly, 

Walton HS WR Dominick Blaylock. Ive followed him since he was a 6th grader playing FBU. Somewhere down the line you look at an athlete and go “damn that kid is special and if he keeps grinding he’s gonna be in the league”. That’s him 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

What about JT Daniels?

I never saw him in person but on tv he was damn good. Kyler Murray as well (on tv) - Both were superstars at the HSFB level 

And nowhere near as good as the guys above, not the same tier,  but Treon Harris at BTW was legit at this level despite UF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommygun58 said:

I was at the BC vs Passaic game at BC.Ironhead was outgained by BC's Mike Morgan but Passaic won the game.Not sure of the score though.

BC never played Passaic during Morgan's career, or Ironheads. You must be thinking of a different game. Not sure why you brought it up either...Morgan was very good no where near Ironhead's level.

Can check it out if you want:   www.bergenpassaicfootball.com   

Takeo Spikes - Washington Co. ... This was mid 90s, but he went on to play for the Buffalo Bills

DeShaun Watson... Saw him a few times, including in the State Championship when they crushed Ware Co.

Greg Reid ... Incredible player at Lowndes

I really liked watching Jeff Francoeur play at Parkview in the early 2000s

Alvin Kamara - Norcross -> Tennessee -> Saints

I thought Chansi Stuckey from Northside WR was fun to watch also.

37 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

Cartersville (now Clemson) QB Trevor Lawrence surpassed Deshaun Watson as the best HS quarterback I’ve seen in person. Sunshine has ridiculous arm talent , I believe he will be special on Sundays 

He's got a funky delivery though, doesn't he? I'm not saying he can't play. I'm just saying that his throwing motion makes me wince.

5 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Takeo Spikes - Washington Co. ... This was mid 90s, but he went on to play for the Buffalo Bills

DeShaun Watson... Saw him a few times, including in the State Championship when they crushed Ware Co.

Greg Reid ... Incredible player at Lowndes

I really liked watching Jeff Francoeur play at Parkview in the early 2000s

Alvin Kamara - Norcross -> Tennessee -> Saints

I thought Chansi Stuckey from Northside WR was fun to watch also.

Did he fly under the radar? 

I feel like I remember him not being regarded as a top RB going into the NFL draft. And I'm thinking that if he wound up at Tennessee in the recent past, maybe he wasn't regarded as a top RB in HS either.