Best HS player you've seen in person

GrecoRoman

12 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Did he fly under the radar? 

I feel like I remember him not being regarded as a top RB going into the NFL draft. And I'm thinking that if he wound up at Tennessee in the recent past, maybe he wasn't regarded as a top RB in HS either. 

#1 APB in the 2013 class. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Alvin-Kamara-16154/high-school-26817/

Started at Alabama

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_4e752202-c6a4-11e7-b6b8-b31169a2c4d5.html

We love him in NOLA...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Wilber Marshall, Astronaut HS, UF, Pro. HOF

Leon Bright, Merritt Island High, FSU, Pro. "Neon Leon" Shared the backfield with "Wicked Waldo" Williams. Averaged 11 + yards a carry. 

Reggie Nelson, Palm Bay HS, UF, Pro. Nicknamed "The Eraser".

Reggie Nelson is high on my list also. Saw him against Edgewater, Lincoln and Apopka (in a KOC). Hell of a football player!

46 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Reggie Nelson is high on my list also. Saw him against Edgewater, Lincoln and Apopka (in a KOC). Hell of a football player!

Guy was consitently underrated in the NFL his whole career.  He had a bad rookie year in Jax if I remember right, then did very well.   Never got much pub in the league.   I think he has the most INTs of any active NFL players, if not #1 he's at the very top at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

No. Thought Doyle was the best QB I had seen that year. Also thought St. Brown stood out more on the field. He was special. I was actually debating putting him on here. Skills wise, he may be the best receiver I've seen at that level. 

I was just amused because DLS guys only recognize players from the teams that are defeated by DLS.  The teams and players that beat DLS are somehow diminished (held to a grudge) in your collective opinions.  Just an observation.

58 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I was just amused because DLS guys only recognize players from the teams that are defeated by DLS.  The teams and players that beat DLS are somehow diminished (held to a grudge) in your collective opinions.  Just an observation.

Ha! I give credit where credit is due. JT is special and has had (and probably will have) a better career than Doyle by far. But the throws I saw Doyle make were really impressive. Frankly, I was really impressed with all the talent of that SJC team (shout out Jarrett, Robinson and Sherman). JT is just the entire package (leadership, presence, solid metrics) and gets somewhat under-appreciated because of the line, receivers, etc that he had around him. But on the two nights I watched them live, I found myself having more WOW moments with Doyle than JT.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Ha! I give credit where credit is due. JT is special and has had (and probably will have) a better career than Doyle by far. But the throws I saw Doyle make were really impressive. Frankly, I was really impressed with all the talent of that SJC team (shout out Jarrett, Robinson and Sherman). JT is just the entire package (leadership, presence, solid metrics) and gets somewhat under-appreciated because of the line, receivers, etc that he had around him. But on the two nights I watched them live, I found myself having more WOW moments with Doyle than JT.

Proving my point.   

DLS guys generally marginalized opponents that beat DLS so it’s only natural to bestow more benevolence on Doyle.  Had SJC won, then Doyle would be “lucky”

Just like DLS never mention Canyon high.   Lol

Just am observation worth considering 

26 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Proving my point.   

DLS guys generally marginalized opponents that beat DLS so it’s only natural to bestow more benevolence on Doyle.  Had SJC won, then Doyle would be “lucky”

Just like DLS never mention Canyon high.   Lol

Just am observation worth considering 

Canyon was a team effort. JJ was a good player, though. I said Doyle was impressive in game, if I recall correctly. 

8 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Canyon was a team effort. JJ was a good player, though. I said Doyle was impressive in game, if I recall correctly. 

I’m fine with your choice of Doyle.

just pointing out that the DLS culture is to be humble and super benevolent in victory. 

Your natural inclination was to subconsciously follow suit. Ask yourself if you “seriously” considered any player from a team that beat DLS or were your thoughts directed to guys whose Thumbs are tacked  on to the DLS conquest board.

Its fine.  

Kentrell Jones - Gaffney ‘94-97 - was the finest HS player I ever saw.  His senior year was insane - beat a Northwestern team that had 2 future NFL players on defense (Ben Watson and Derek Ross) with nearly 500 yards in total offense for the state title.  After that, AJ Green, Sidney Rice and Stephen Davis.

HM - Marcus Lattimore

23 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

As far as how the player dominated in a football game I watched......

Offensively - Deshaun Foster and Carson Palmer (same game)

Defensively - Kory Minor (Bishop Amat)

I've seen bigger names that went on to star in the NFL, but no one did more damage in a single game I watched, than the guys I mentioned

I thought you were a college kid enrolled at UCSB.

How were you watching Foster and Palmer go at it in 90s and forming opinions about their football prowess?

I was doing that as a young man, and now I'm an old man.

So what's the story? 

6 hours ago, 954gator said:

Guy was consitently underrated in the NFL his whole career.  He had a bad rookie year in Jax if I remember right, then did very well.   Never got much pub in the league.   I think he has the most INTs of any active NFL players, if not #1 he's at the very top at least.

He has Great football sense and the speed to take over anything past the line of scrimmage. At UF he was a game changer, but needed some time to adjust in the NFL. Jax needed to let him sit more as a rookie until he had more practice with the team going full speed. Very rarely can a rookie go in from day one and not make mistakes.

Somebody mentioned Tebow. Great Collage player. Unstoppable in HS. Tebow was a great QB but set up to fail in the NFL by the media and wouldn't be surprised if "Jealous John" Elway had something to do with it. A ton of SEC haters praised the Media for saying he couldn't play in the NFL. He never got the chance less talented QB's were given, so the media was right. 

8 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

I never saw him in person but on tv he was damn good. Kyler Murray as well (on tv) - Both were superstars at the HSFB level 

And nowhere near as good as the guys above, not the same tier,  but Treon Harris at BTW was legit at this level despite UF

Watch Teron Harris Fuck em up with his arm and legs in HS... He had a good crew of receivers that helped. 

On 10/30/2018 at 7:16 PM, GrecoRoman said:

For me it would be Karlos Williams and Derrick Henry.  I've never seen any player with such size, speed and power at the level these guys had.  It was flat men vs boys and in Williams case I was at the UA game where the coaches were joking that he was going to flat hurt someone as I was just head & shoulders above all the other all americans and everyone there knew it.  He hit harder at that age than anyone I've seen - Jon Beason told me the same at Bommarito's and he was in the NFL at that time. Vince Williams, his own brother and longtime NFL starter admited he's nothing athletically to Karlos.  For some dumb reason Jimbo Fisher made him a TB - guy was a natural born headhunter with incredible range at the safety spot.  TB was his second unatural position yet led the NFL in some stats through the first 7 or 8 games of his NFL rookie season (which was last because he was kicked out of the league)  

Maurice Jones Drew from Dela. First time I laid eyes on him I knew he was NFL. Unbeleivable player in High School. Ask coach Laura and LB Poly what they thought of him. DJ Williams also great. On film, Allan Iverson was also one of the best H.S. players I ever saw. His speed was like Dion Sanders. We all know what type of talent he had. The other one on film was the Oaklahoma player that ESPN made a documentary on. I Know the topic is  " In Person ", but I just thought I would throw those last two in.

• Like 1

Keith Smith at Newbury Park HS in CA (ended up setting a lot of passing records at Univ of Arizona, only 6 feet tall (more like 5'11 or less) and while he played in a run-and-shoot in HS in the early 90's and put up ridiculous passing numbers, would have been utterly unstoppable in a modern spread offense.  They had a total of 25 or so players on their varsity and 5 went D-1-and one WR (Leodis Van Buren) set all sorts of state receiving records, went and flunked out of Bill McCartney era Colorado, and before he got to the NFL ended up doing 10-to-20 :( 

Of more recent vintage-Amon-Ra St. Brown.  He had a punt return against JSerra last year (perfect punt, perfect coverage, didn't matter-80 yards for a TD) that all I could say was "wow"....

A pure HSFB player who's career ended right after HS-Preston King of Tesoro (on the team that lost in the D-1 final to Long Beach Poly).  Ran back kicks, punts, punted, played DB, WR.  Matt Barkley played his last HSFB against him and probably still sees him in his nightmares.

10 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Did he fly under the radar? 

I feel like I remember him not being regarded as a top RB going into the NFL draft. And I'm thinking that if he wound up at Tennessee in the recent past, maybe he wasn't regarded as a top RB in HS either. 

No. #1 ranked APB out of HS. He originally signed with Alabama, but went to CC before transferring to Tennessee. The Saints picked him in the 3rd round of the Draft... He wouldve went higher but IMO Tennessee didnt use him to his potential.

9 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Somebody mentioned Tebow. Great Collage player. Unstoppable in HS. Tebow was a great QB but set up to fail in the NFL by the media and wouldn't be surprised if "Jealous John" Elway had something to do with it. A ton of SEC haters praised the Media for saying he couldn't play in the NFL. He never got the chance less talented QB's were given, so the media was right. 

This is funny.

Tim Tebow couldn't throw a football competently and was dead last in the league in completion percentage (46.5%) but it was the media's fault that he missed all those throws and flunked out of the league.

And 2-time Super Bowl Champion and Hall of Famer John Elway is super jealous of one of the worst 1st round picks in NFL history.

And the quarterback that "jealous" John Elway got to replace Tebow only led the Broncos to 2 Super Bowls appearances and a win.

Tim Tebow is a guy who would be selling insurance today if Urban Meyer didn't decide to go to Gainesville instead of South Bend in 2005.