Best HS player you've seen in person

GrecoRoman

For me it would be Karlos Williams and Derrick Henry.  I've never seen any player with such size, speed and power at the level these guys had.  It was flat men vs boys and in Williams case I was at the UA game where the coaches were joking that he was going to flat hurt someone as I was just head & shoulders above all the other all americans and everyone there knew it.  He hit harder at that age than anyone I've seen - Jon Beason told me the same at Bommarito's and he was in the NFL at that time. Vince Williams, his own brother and longtime NFL starter admited he's nothing athletically to Karlos.  For some dumb reason Jimbo Fisher made him a TB - guy was a natural born headhunter with incredible range at the safety spot.  TB was his second unatural position yet led the NFL in some stats through the first 7 or 8 games of his NFL rookie season (which was last because he was kicked out of the league)  

For me it would be Karlos Williams and Derrick Henry.  I've never seen any player with such size, speed and power at the level these guys had.  It was flat men vs boys and in Williams case I was at the UA game where the coaches were joking that he was going to flat hurt someone as he was just head & shoulders above all the other all americans and everyone there knew it.  He hit harder at that age than anyone I've seen - Jon Beason told me the same at Bommarito's and he was in the NFL at that time. Vince Williams, his own brother and longtime NFL starter admited he's nothing athletically to Karlos.  For some dumb reason Jimbo Fisher made him a TB - guy was a natural born headhunter with incredible range at the safety spot.  TB was his second unatural position yet led the NFL in some stats through the first 7 or 8 games of his NFL rookie season (which was last because he was kicked out of the league)  

Played against a guy named Bernie Addel from Ipswich HS.  He was totally ripped way back then and was on posters for Nautilus work out facilities while still in high school.   He never ran through people though just around them.  Ran a 10.8 100yd and 21.9 220.  Got recruited by Woody Hayes and Notre Dame. Was injured much of the time and got one try out with the Patriots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Brian Cushing

Dalvin Cook

Jabrill Peppers

Great choices there.  Think of this - Williams was 20 lbs heavier than Peppers and Cook and he ran a better 40 time than both.   (barely but that's not the point - that extra 20 lbs is a lot and it was nothing buy solid.  He would have decapitated either of these guys at TB if they met head up in  the hole  in my opinion)

• Thanks 1

Ronald Curry, Hampton ‘96 and ‘97.  Arguably the best high school athlete of all time.  Still, the only one to be a first team All America in BOTH football and basketball.  I am honored that because of a good friend and his relationship with Mike Smith I was able to stand on the Hampton sideline and watch Curry.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Matt Grootegoed. While at Mater Dei, he played kicker, RB, QB, safety, and linebacker. He was an All-American and a finalist for the Butkus Award while at USC in the early 2000s when the Trojans were chasing the National Championship. But he was 25 lbs too small to play linebacker in the NFL, and a step too slow to play safety. 

In his junior year at MD, he carried the ball 30 times for 250 yards and played safety in the SS CIF championship game to upset the LBP Jackrabbits, who were then on a 27 game winning streak. 

I was in the stands that night, and I won some money from my friends.

• Like 2

I've got a 5-way tie (listed in alphabetical order)

• Lance Briggs, Elk Grove
  • Tedy Bruschi, Roseville
  • Onterrio Smith, Grant Union
  • Shaq Thompson, Grant Union
  • D.J. Williams, De La Salle

All 5 were D1 standouts and played in the NFL. Bruschi was a HOF Finalist this past year and should make it at some point. IMO, Briggs has a shot to make it too -- especially since his teammate Urlacher made it recently.

While I didn't see my 'honorable mention' play live, I knew all about him when I was a young kid and he's still the highest rated player to ever come out of the Sacramento area. And that player is Kevin Willhite from Cordova HS.

Willhite, a RB, was the #1 recruit in the Nation in 1982. He was named national HS player of the year in 1981 over Bo Jackson and Marcus Dupree.

Let that sink in.

• Like 1

1. Kwamaine Bubba Brown, Running Back - Osceola High School, four star recruit out of high school

2. Jeff Driskel - Hagerty High, Quarterback, five star recruit out of high school

Neither lived up to his high school potential, but both were flat out dominant in high school. Over the past 20 years I have seen over 100 kids live from the Orlando area make it to the NFL. None of them were as dominant as the above two. 

Unfortunately, neither fully fulfilled the potential demonstrated in high school. Brown never had a college career due to off field issues, including academics, and injuries. Driskel had a less than stellar career at UF, but had a great senior season at Louisiana Tech and is currently on the Bengals roster in the NFL. 

I have seen live, better players (Tebow, Cook, Freeman, and a host of others) that went on to do much better post high school, but these were in the State Title games and I am loath to make a final judgement on dominance after seeing just one game. I have also seen live a host of other guys that went on to successful NFL careers out of Central Florida, Merriweather, Siler, Chris Johnson, Rivers, etc., etc. But none were as dominant in high school as the above two guys.

I saw both those guys multiple times live and if I had been a betting man would have lost a ton of money betting on them being dominant, future NFL stars. 

• Thanks 1

Vince Young- He treated all high school defenses like he did USC in the Rose Borl

Cedric Benson

Jorrie Adams-  Jasper, TX, best offensive lineman I’ve ever seen.  About 6’7, 275, and could run about a 4.8...  5 star stud!  went to Texas A&M, he was a big time turd, and ended up in prison.

Rodney Thomas- Groveton , TX

Jamall Charles

Bobby Taylor- Longview

9 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

As far as how the player dominated in a football game I watched......

Offensively - Deshaun Foster and Carson Palmer (same game)

Defensively - Kory Minor (Bishop Amat)

I've seen bigger names that went on to star in the NFL, but no one did more damage in a single game I watched, than the guys I mentioned

I was at a game in which he ran the ball 40 times for over 300 yards and looked bored while doing it.

He also played safety that game and knocked the opposing team's QB out of the game. It was one of those hits where the whole crowd went "Oh!". 

Still, I'd have to go with Matt Grooteogoed. 

7 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Matt Grootegoed. While at Mater Dei, he played kicker, RB, QB, safety, and linebacker. He was an All-American and a finalist for the Butkus Award while at USC in the early 2000s when the Trojans were chasing the National Championship. But he was 25 lbs too small to play linebacker in the NFL, and a step too slow to play safety. 

In his junior year at MD, he carried the ball 30 times for 250 yards and played safety in the SS CIF championship game to upset the LBP Jackrabbits, who were then on a 27 game winning streak. 

I was in the stands that night, and I won some money from my friends.

Did he end up in the nfl? He souldve been perfect in todays nfl lol , fast for linebacker but small 

50 minutes ago, Texasvic said:

Did he end up in the nfl? He souldve been perfect in todays nfl lol , fast for linebacker but small 

I think he played a year or two on special teams, before heading to Canada to play in CFL. 

I don't know all the details. He was recruited by USC as a safety, but then they got Troy Polamalu, who I think took his spot but never stopped praising Matt as a football player. So they moved Matt to OLB, where he immediately excelled. He had over 80 tackles, 16 for a loss, in his sophomore year. But I think he was one of these kids who matured early and didn't grow quite as much in college as some other guys do.  

In his junior year at MD, he was listed at 5'10" 195 lbs. By his senior in college, he was listed at 5'10"(sometimes at 5'11") and 210 (sometimes 215) lbs. 

I think that's still pretty small for an OLB in the NFL, but you're a better judge than I am. I haven't been following the NFL in a long time.