High school football dad dressed as referee, roamed sidelines to influence son's playoff game

HawgGoneIt

Stop us if you've heard this before, but a parent of a high school athlete has apparently gone overboard in trying to influence a game. This time, however, the parent went as far as dressing up like a referee and then bragging about it on Facebook.

Here's the story: As reported by the Chicago Tribune, the alumni association and football booster club for Simeon Career Academy in Chicago have filed a lawsuit against the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The lawsuit alleges that Richard Mercado, an IHSA referee and the father of a Nazareth Academy player, wore his officiating uniform to Simeon's Class 7A quarterfinal playoff game against Nazareth this month and proceeded to roam the sidelines, conference with on-duty officials and push for a Nazareth win.

As the Tribune's Elvia Malagon added, Mercado didn't exactly deny the charges after Nazareth won 34-27 on Nov. 10 to advance to the semifinals.

On Facebook, the father responded to criticism of him being involved in the game by saying, "I did what was needed to make sure Naz won," according to screenshots included in the lawsuit.

In another comment, the father tells someone, "I didn't make one bad call. I made sure the best team won."

As Deadspin noted, the lawsuit says Mercado's actions "constituted a substantial and material breach of contract," especially since he was seen "in restricted areas where (even) team personnel are prohibited." Simeon's alumni and booster club, per Deadspin, are requesting that IHSA declare that neither Nazareth nor Simeon won the controversial quarterfinal and that Mercado "essentially" be relieved of his duties as a referee.

In the meantime, Mercado will be rooting for his son -- no word yet on whether with or without his referee uniform -- when Nazareth takes on St. Charles North High School in the Class 7A championship on Saturday.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Stop us if you've heard this before, but a parent of a high school athlete has apparently gone overboard in trying to influence a game. This time, however, the parent went as far as dressing up like a referee and then bragging about it on Facebook.

Here's the story: As reported by the Chicago Tribune, the alumni association and football booster club for Simeon Career Academy in Chicago have filed a lawsuit against the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The lawsuit alleges that Richard Mercado, an IHSA referee and the father of a Nazareth Academy player, wore his officiating uniform to Simeon's Class 7A quarterfinal playoff game against Nazareth this month and proceeded to roam the sidelines, conference with on-duty officials and push for a Nazareth win.

As the Tribune's Elvia Malagon added, Mercado didn't exactly deny the charges after Nazareth won 34-27 on Nov. 10 to advance to the semifinals.

On Facebook, the father responded to criticism of him being involved in the game by saying, "I did what was needed to make sure Naz won," according to screenshots included in the lawsuit.

In another comment, the father tells someone, "I didn't make one bad call. I made sure the best team won."

As Deadspin noted, the lawsuit says Mercado's actions "constituted a substantial and material breach of contract," especially since he was seen "in restricted areas where (even) team personnel are prohibited." Simeon's alumni and booster club, per Deadspin, are requesting that IHSA declare that neither Nazareth nor Simeon won the controversial quarterfinal and that Mercado "essentially" be relieved of his duties as a referee.

In the meantime, Mercado will be rooting for his son -- no word yet on whether with or without his referee uniform -- when Nazareth takes on St. Charles North High School in the Class 7A championship on Saturday.

Helicopter parent extremist.....

What in the actual hell?

BGW

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yes this was posted on the Illinois thread

Come on a manl  pay attention 😆😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Yes this was posted on the Illinois thread

Come on a manl  pay attention 😆😆😆

I missed it in there.

It was despicable enough that it deserved it's own thread anyway.

Talk about homer refs! This is the type of stuff that many of us have suspected through the years as it is. This guy was just dumb enough to post about it on facebook. 

xD

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I missed it in there.

It was despicable enough that it deserved it's own thread anyway.

Talk about homer refs! This is the type of stuff that many of us have suspected through the years as it is. This guy was just dumb enough to post about it on facebook. 

xD

I have heard a bunch of these stories while playing some golf from caddies who have played ball at Ed’s , Iggy and others😆

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

I have heard a bunch of these stories while playing some golf from caddies who have played ball at Ed’s , Iggy and others😆

I'm not gonna lie. Some of us Colquitt fans were talking about this earlier and have decided that maybe we should buy an official GHSA zebra suit and do something like this. I mean, someone has to throw flags on the other team this year. The real officials aren't doing it.  xD

We haven't been granted any homer refs at all this season. Not at home versus anyone. Not away versus anyone. 

While on the sideline, Mercado often left the restricted area.19.

For instance, during one critical call in the game, during which the Simeon quarterbackdove for a touchdown that was called back, Mercado is standing right next to the refereeand outside of the restricted box.20.

Assistant Executive Director Sam Knox stated that, “You’re right. A Nazareth father was on the sideline dressed as an official. I wish I had a good reason why that happened. It shouldn’t have happened.”

After the game, Mercado posted on the Facebook words to the effect that he used his influence to ensure that Nazareth won:

Richard Mercado

6-535c847b5c.jpg

7 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Re posting to the Excuse Thread

• Haha 3

Guys,

Illinois is just corrupt and messed up. There is an inherent culture of cheating and mismanagement that permeates thru the school system....government and sports. Simeon has a strong Natl.name in basketball....and are along with Phillips slowly building it for football. The Simeon QB...Alante Brown a Mich St. recruit has shown more class in his comments about the call than most of the adults who have posted and blogged about it.

I know that one play will not completely determine a game but the Simeon QB did score on that play......2 different camera angles clearly show it.......but the politics won`t let it happen. As I mentioned previously......Nazarath will probably bring 7-10K fans as will their opponent St.Charles North. Simeon maybe 750 to 1000 K. It`s economics...and Illinois excels at this shady behavior....and I don`t mean it as a compliment. ESL got somewhat jobbed in their 46-40 loss to Washington Massilion.......25-5 in penalties.....so I guess it occurs elsewhere as well....although I will freely admit that ESL can be head-shaking undisciplined at times.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DevilDog said:

While on the sideline, Mercado often left the restricted area.19.

For instance, during one critical call in the game, during which the Simeon quarterbackdove for a touchdown that was called back, Mercado is standing right next to the refereeand outside of the restricted box.20.

Assistant Executive Director Sam Knox stated that, “You’re right. A Nazareth father was on the sideline dressed as an official. I wish I had a good reason why that happened. It shouldn’t have happened.”

After the game, Mercado posted on the Facebook words to the effect that he used his influence to ensure that Nazareth won:

Richard Mercado

6-535c847b5c.jpg

A bunch of hypocrites here on this board! Who among us has not done exactly what this father did? Come on, fess up. Even if just once, we've all been there.

• Haha 5

45 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

But not with the white stripes down our trousers outside the box next to a Fat Zebra who knows I'm a ref.  😁

Absolutely with the white stripe down the pant leg. That white stripe gets me into games for free, down onto the sidelines if I want, or into the press box if it's cold. And, chicks dig the white stripe. Believe you me!

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Absolutely with the white stripe down the pant leg. That white stripe gets me into games for free, down onto the sidelines if I want, or into the press box if it's cold. And, chicks dig the white stripe. Believe you me!

In order for a NorCal team to defeat DLS.  You need Ref Dad and make DLS play by CFL rules with 3 downs and only follow 8 man rules when taking the field and DLS cannot get more than 2 1st downs per drive. And finally DLS must sign a Mercy waiver penalizing them 3 pts if they hit 40 in the 3rd qtr.  And a fresh Folsom team can tag in at anytime like a WWE match.  

🤣

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

In order for a NorCal team to defeat DLS.  You need Ref Dad and make DLS play by CFL rules with 3 downs and only follow 8 man rules when taking the field and DLS cannot get more than 2 1st downs per drive. And finally DLS must sign a Mercy waiver penalizing them 3 pts if they hit 40 in the 3rd qtr.  And a fresh Folsom team can tag in at anytime like a WWE match.  

🤣

Dude....🤣🤣🤣^^^^^^^ You are Killing Me!!!!....🤣🤣🤣..... Great Post!!!!

• Thanks 1