DLS vs Colerain. Who wins?

ohio

2 hours ago, ohio said:

Both teams run an option on offense and both play solid defense.  Who do you think wins, and by how much?

Please state your reasons, and oh....rankings mean nothing as we found out in the Centennial (AZ) vs Eastside Catholic GEICO game.

Love the DLS program 

but this years Colerain Team was special so would be quite a game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ohio said:

Both teams run an option on offense and both play solid defense.  Who do you think wins, and by how much?

Please state your reasons, and oh....rankings mean nothing as we found out in the Centennial (AZ) vs Eastside Catholic GEICO game.

The team that doesn't fumble a lot wins.

Im sure you know which one that is?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

This is really the heart of it. The teams that can take away the dive and force DLS to be more perimeter oriented usually have the best success against them.

And that’s what Ed’s did this year when no one said they could 

Tom Lombardo ST Ed’s coach had won 2 D1 titles and a D2 title only one in OH history so can we write a story on him?😆

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

This is really the heart of it. The teams that can take away the dive and force DLS to be more perimeter oriented usually have the best success against them.

Just to add on to this, one of the things that works in DLS' favor when this happens is they don't necessarily abandon the dive if it's not clicking right away. If I remember correctly, in the second half against Folsom, after going nowhere up the middle in the first half, the Spartans hit two nice plays right up the gut to set up a play-action pass for the game's first TD. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I think that's what happened.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Just to add on to this, one of the things that works in DLS' favor when this happens is they don't necessarily abandon the dive if it's not clicking right away. If I remember correctly, in the second half against Folsom, after going nowhere up the middle in the first half, the Spartans hit two nice plays right up the gut to set up a play-action pass for the game's first TD. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I think that's what happened.

Yep

and teams that win do because they prepare and succeed 

but not many are successful 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Maybe at the start of the season, but not at the end of the year when the DLS machine is clicking on all cylinders. 

The Trinity League has finally figured out to stop the machine. It takes amped up all-star teams. 

Must be the California hyper-improvement thing.  Right? 

I think this belongs in the excuse thread.

But seriously, all option offenses get better by the end of the year since they rely on getting their timing right.   So, your statement is true to some extent.   But it also holds true for Colerain since they are an option oriented team.

You do know that DLS has lost to teams from Washington, Florida, NJ, Utah, and Texas who did not have all-star teams, because those teams were able to take away the dive and get into their backfield.  Just saying.

4 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Maybe at the start of the season, but not at the end of the year when the DLS machine is clicking on all cylinders. 

The Trinity League has finally figured out to stop the machine. It takes amped up all-star teams. 

After MD's fourth consecutive loss to DLS, Rollinson said to a reporter, "I have no idea how to beat this team." Guess he figured it out. No, Negron showed the direction to take, and Mater Dei's proud, (and with justification alumni) made it possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Cmon man.... They arent THAT much better at the end of the year EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

Its because they arent play teams equivalent to Euless Trinity, STA, East, Bellevue, DBP, etc...

30 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Cmon man.... They arent THAT much better at the end of the year EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

You guys know I’m a DLS homer, but I don’t subscribe to the hyper-improvement theory. The DLS OL  does get better as the season progresses. But As Coach A said, all talented and well-coaches teams get better by years’ end. That’s said, Hale was not the same player at the end of the year as he was against Folsom. Seriously, if DLS and Folsom played again, it’d be like 35-14 DLS. Dorian’s job was just to not lose the game in week zero. Mission accomplished. The coaches opened the playbook significantly for him by the end of the year. That’s says a lot....this year. Gotta start over again on 6 months!

2 hours ago, ohio said:

Must be the California hyper-improvement thing.  Right? 

I think this belongs in the excuse thread.

But seriously, all option offenses get better by the end of the year since they rely on getting their timing right.   So, your statement is true to some extent.   But it also holds true for Colerain since they are an option oriented team.

You do know that DLS has lost to teams from Washington, Florida, NJ, Utah, and Texas who did not have all-star teams, because those teams were able to take away the dive and get into their backfield.  Just saying.

No, just DLS. Im a SoCal homer but do see DLS vast improvement at season end. Would love to see them in a Geico game.

• Like 2

I thinks DLS squeaks by Colrain this year if the game were played today. Colarain’s gotta very nice squad this year. One of my favorite non-DLS teams. But their front 7, although talented, isnt MD. The more I think about what MD did, the more  impressed by the DLIne they assembled. Although, not one of DLs’s Best OLs, they weren’t chop liver eiher. And that was an epic domination. Not sure Colrain could do that.

28-21 DLS in kind of a DLS/BG game. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, old_e said:

No, just DLS. Im a SoCal homer but do see DLS vast improvement at season end. Would love to see them in a Geico game.

I think they do as well.  Saying this doesn't mean other teams do not improve significantly either but DLS is a different team as compared to the beginning of the year and that has to do with the line and timing and qb play.  Imho.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ohio said:

Hmmm

i wasn’t really looking to weigh in much on the OP but this is interesting 

first of all, several of the teams you reference were clearly all-star teams of a type that OH rarely plays (last time, your state champ lost 34-0 very generously)

second of all, you’re going back 30 years so yeah, DLS has lost s few games — all of those games were in the road except East, who played either DLS’s 3rd or 4th worst team in last 30.

third, the other 3rd or 4th worst team did travel to OH and beat Elder in the Herbie 56-28 (was 49-12 in 3rd)

fourth, there’s a bit more to DLS’s hyper-improvement than running the option — Read the book (don’t watch the movie) and you’ll understand a bit better.  Not saying DLS > Colerain in this regard but donobjexr to just leveling all option teams 

30 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I think they do as well.  Saying this doesn't mean other teams do not improve significantly either but DLS is a different team as compared to the beginning of the year and that has to do with the line and timing and qb play.  Imho.

When I was in high school we ran a triple option.  It does take a lot of practice and timing since many things can go wrong.  It's all about execution and timing.  We were much better at the end of the year than at the beginning.   I think most teams who run some form of option do get better as the season moves along.

So, once a team like DLS or Colerain get in sync and get the timing right, they are difficult to stop in the playoffs at the high school level, even at the college level.   The only problem that they have is that they run into a team with a good defensive line that stops the dive and can penetrate the the backfield.  Once a defense does both of these you are forced to pitch or throw the football down field.  That's why so many option oriented teams commit so many forced fumbles when they face a tough defense.   This probably why you don't see the option run in the NFL.

• Like 1