Game contracts

WCACguy

6 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

Do they have any validity? I understand SJR is quite unhappy that DeMatha backed out of their game (despite having signed a two year contract) in order to play SJB on ESPN. What ramifications are there for breaking a contract? If none then why even have them?

Technically you can get a lawyer involved since its a signed contract and its enforceable 

6 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

Do they have any validity? I understand SJR is quite unhappy that DeMatha backed out of their game (despite having signed a two year contract) in order to play SJB on ESPN. What ramifications are there for breaking a contract? If none then why even have them?

If a lawyer worth half with his fee drafted it there should be some penalty provisions where the party that breaks it has to pay the other party.  

There should usually be some exceptions for “Acts of God” or other things that truly prevent one party from fulfilling its obligation.  

But assuming DeMatha just called Joes and said “Nah, fuck it, we’re out” then I’d imagine some $ exchanged hands.

• Like 3

Usually there is a penalty involved to break the contract. 

I heave heard an instance where the $5K was the buy out and it increased by $500 for every week it got closer to the game starting August 1st. 

Obviuosly that was a random isolated agreement. I’m sure every contract has some type of buyout or penalty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

If a lawyer worth half with his fee drafted it there should be some penalty provisions where the party that breaks it has to pay the other party.  

There should usually be some exceptions for “Acts of God” or other things that truly prevent one party from fulfilling its obligation.  

But assuming DeMatha just called Joes and said “Nah, fuck it, we’re out” then I’d imagine some $ exchanged hands.

Being offered the opportunity to play a Trinity League team is akin to an "act of God".  Any good attorney could convince a jury of that.

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, WCACguy said:

They gotta send me $500 and we cool

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

In the hundreds of contacts I've seen, it's normally addressed in two ways:

1. A monetary cancellation penalty of a few thousand dollars

2. The Canceling team must find a replacement team in order to move on

In this case the two teams were so familiar with each other that neither added any such clause. SJR will never allow this to happen again. 

So SJR relied on the ole handshake method and got stovepiped?

Trust but verify.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

ESL did the same to CQ. Stereotyping is ugly. 

ESL had a good reason. They thought they were coming to get a piece of a Rush coached team, and that changed. 

Nothing apparently changed like that with SJR, so, not seeing the comparison.

I do apologize for stereotyping. Maybe you can help change my mind about Catholics by being the most honest one I ever had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of. xD

I apologize again. I'm afraid I didn't do much better in my second post in this thread either. Feeling a little ornery for some reason. 

xD

Seriously though... was that not a low hanging fruit? I mean, only going on what I've read here, and for a school that's supposed to be Catholic and whatever to need all these extra things put in a contract to "keep them honest" in the future. 

Bad looks. 

Lol

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it but why did DeMatha have to drop SJR when they scheduled SJB?

They're playing SJB on 8/24, which is a week earlier than the rest of the WCAC opens regular season play and were supposed to play SJR on 9/7.

It would only make sense if they added SJB to an already completed 10-game schedule, in which case they would have to drop someone because the WCAC limits you to 10 regular season games.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Buncha Catholic schools pulling the okeedokee on one another. Wouldn't think you'd need iron clad contracts amongst the same denomination like that and all. 

It's all good. They can get the mother to make her son forgive them later. 

xD

You might conclude one was an altar boy and the other was the bishop.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, WCACguy said:

Did Brooks sign the contract or did McGregor?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I apologize again. I'm afraid I didn't do much better in my second post in this thread either. Feeling a little ornery for some reason. 

xD

Seriously though... was that not a low hanging fruit? I mean, only going on what I've read here, and for a school that's supposed to be Catholic and whatever to need all these extra things put in a contract to "keep them honest" in the future. 

Bad looks. 

Lol

It's all for the good of the church brother.  The collection plate will be a lot more full playing on ESPN.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Did Brooks sign the contract or did McGregor?  

Usually the AD or principal would I would think...shouldn't matter. I understand DeMatha would prefer a highly-funded (ESPN and SJB?) trip to California to play maybe the best team in the country on ESPN. I just wondered if they were obligated to compensate SJR in any way.

34 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

Usually the AD or principal would I would think...shouldn't matter. I understand DeMatha would prefer a highly-funded (ESPN and SJB?) trip to California to play maybe the best team in the country on ESPN. I just wondered if they were obligated to compensate SJR in any way.

It would say so in the contract. Sjr should get a lawyer and at least get the payout if any that they are owed. 

1 hour ago, WCACguy said:

I don’t understand the process either. I get why SJR is pissed, but I also understand that McGregor owes it to his team to take the SJB/ESPN game. At the end of the day you do what’s best for the team you’re responsible for. You’re never going to please everyone. 

20 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I don’t understand the process either. I get why SJR is pissed, but I also understand that McGregor owes it to his team to take the SJB/ESPN game. At the end of the day you do what’s best for the team you’re responsible for. You’re never going to please everyone. 

At least pay up then any pay out that was supposed to happen and dont sign a contract which is now a breach of contract

51 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

At least pay up then any pay out that was supposed to happen and dont sign a contract which is now a breach of contract

Have you ever dealt with a contract like this? I have not so I’m deferring to GSB on this one and according to his earlier post, this contract did not explain how a cancellation would work. The breach of contract isn’t a reality if there was no penalty explained. It’s shitty for SJR who was dealing with the previous HC on this one, but I get what DeMatha was thinking for the SJB game. When you’re competing against SJC, SFA, Good Counsel, etc...and they have these high profile match ups, you have to match that exposure. Bottom line is DM needed to drop a game. They picked the SJR game for whatever reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Have you ever dealt with a contract like this? I have not so I’m deferring to GSB on this one and according to his earlier post, this contract did not explain how a cancellation would work. The breach of contract isn’t a reality if there was no penalty explained. It’s shitty for SJR who was dealing with the previous HC on this one, but I get what DeMatha was thinking for the SJB game. When you’re competing against SJC, SFA, Good Counsel, etc...and they have these high profile match ups, you have to match that exposure. Bottom line is DM needed to drop a game. They picked the SJR game for whatever reason.

If yeah there was no cancellation language than there really is nothing for anyone to do 

5 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Here's MPSSAA (MD public school) contract: https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/MPSSAA_Athletic_Contest_Contract.pdf

From what I've seen it's pretty standard. Of course some prominent high schools might use more college-like contracts which are pages long and are incredibly specific. For example, the Nebraska-Akron game that was cancelled last year listed events that could void the contract such as a hurricane, war, invasion, rebellion or confiscation by the government. If the game was cancelled for any other reason the cancelling party owed the other party $1 million.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/03/nebraska-akron-football-contract-void-provisions

• Like 1