In 50 years we will look back and wonder why we allowed tackle football

Fred

6 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Why do you care about those players? Why does anyone care? People get hurt working in their profession or killed all the time. Do we stay up at night worrying? Caring? 

I would think there are people who have enough respect for fellow human beings that we would want others to have a productive life as we also sit here Hoping ourselves to be productive in life

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

I would think there are people who have enough respect for fellow human beings that we would want others to have a productive life as we also sit here Hoping ourselves to be productive in life

These athletes were very productive and made a lot of money in their life. Money most of us will never see 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

They are humans that have absolutely no connection to any of us. If your family than sure have your feelings. But we are not. Were fans. They want to be considered gladiators well the gladiators died for the entertainment of others. 

I've been around athletics since I started in high school, I've seen how much effort goes in and the ones who make it professionally had to work their ass off to get there 

Many of them come from rough backgrounds with sports is the only way out and the only thing giving their life hope, they play to survive

It's heartbreaking to see so many that can't even walk, so many people only care about people when it benefits them but after it doesn't they have no use for them and could care less if they live another day

That selfish attitude is why the world is the way it is now, we have devalued the common person to being of no value unless they are benefiting us in some way

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

These athletes were very productive and made a lot of money in their life. Money most of us will never see 

Yes indeed, they took advantage of God given ability and made the most of it 

Some that retired early enough live to enjoy that wealth and flexibility 

Others not so lucky and live rest of their life restricted to a bed and can't even play with their kids after they tore their body up to make a living for their family

Just now, Columbiafan said:

I've been around athletics since I started in high school, I've seen how much effort goes in and the ones who make it professionally had to work their ass off to get there 

Many of them come from rough backgrounds with sports is the only way out and the only thing giving their life hope, they play to survive

It's heartbreaking to see so many that can't even walk, so many people only care about people when it benefits them but after it doesn't they have no use for them and could care less if they live another day

That selfish attitude is why the world is the way it is now, we have devalued the common person to being of no value unless they are benefiting us in some way

I'm a sports fan but if sports were to die out I would find other means of entertainment. I've been around athletes my whole life. I've seen injuries surgeries etc. I dont believe any of them would give up their athletic life. 

These people made a lot of money and were very productive. Now it's on to the next generation to earn that money through their hard work 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

I'm a sports fan but if sports were to die out I would find other means of entertainment. I've been around athletes my whole life. I've seen injuries surgeries etc. I dont believe any of them would give up their athletic life. 

These people made a lot of money and were very productive. Now it's on to the next generation to earn that money through their hard work 

Of course not because either one they love it or because they have to support their family

It doesn't mean we should just sit back and ignore the potential risks and let them take it

If the NCAA and NFL wants to preserve the sport then they need to get these youth groups the proper equipment so they can play the sport they love

Football isn't about breaking people's necks or putting people in the hospital

It's about playing with a band of Brothers and working together as a team for a common goal, giving better equipment doesn't do anything to hurt that

You give them the top quality equipment so they can play the sport the way it's supposed to be played, with your team and having the time of your life

Of course not because either one they love it or because they have to support their family

It doesn't mean we should just sit back and ignore the potential risks and let them take it

If the NCAA and NFL wants to preserve the sport then they need to get these youth groups the proper equipment so they can play the sport they love

Football isn't about breaking people's necks or putting people in the hospital

It's about playing with a band of Brothers and working together as a team for a common goal, giving better equipment doesn't do anything to hurt that

You give them the top quality equipment so they can play the sport the way it's supposed to be played, with your team and having the time of your life

Were not going to agree at all so I'm gonna leave this conversation here. 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Were not going to agree at all so I'm gonna leave this conversation here. 

I don't understand why

We both want to see the sport continue to survive and thrive

NFL and NCAA teams already have camps in their communities, they could use this as a way of community involvement and making the investment to protect the sport for future generations

I don't understand why

We both want to see the sport continue to survive and thrive

NFL and NCAA teams already have camps in their communities, they could use this as a way of community involvement and making the investment to protect the sport for future generations

The sport will continue to thrive if parents today weren't so damn soft. That's the problem. This era of parents are too soft. I'm so happy I'm not a parent I would probably be sent to jail. Everything these parents do today is soft. 

7 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I have no issue with football being played 

I just think that in order to preserve the sport that there needs to be better equipment at the youth level so that they can play and not be brain dead by 50 

If all the money the NFL lost in that recent lawsuit had been used towards better equipment than maybe so many former players wouldn't be in the bad shape they are in right now and we wouldn't have to see so many rule changes to minimize the damage

I totally agree that the players Need to have the best equipment they can be provided, and even rules that help make the Contact Game less severe injury prone. More important at an earlier level of the game like no kick returns or punt returns until college. 

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I totally agree that the players Need to have the best equipment they can be provided, and even rules that help make the Contact Game less severe injury prone. More important at an earlier level of the game like no kick returns or punt returns until college. 

Have to disagree with you as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

I'll leave this here because it's a fact.

#1 sport for concussions... SOCCER!!

Come on BC, you know it's football and it's not even close. Football accounts for more than half of all concussions of all sports!

Let me guess, you are putting me back on ignore. 

God Bless

15 hours ago, noonereal said:

Come on BC, you know it's football and it's not even close. Football accounts for more than half of all concussions of all sports!

Let me guess, you are putting me back on ignore. 

God Bless

Game Play

1. Men’s rugby match play (3.00/1,000 AE)
  2. Men’s American football (2.5/1,000 AE)
  3. Women’s ice hockey (2.27/1,000 AE)
  4. Men’s Ice hockey (1.63/1,000 AE)
  5. Women’s soccer (1.48/1,000 AE)
  6. Men’s football (or soccer) (1.07/1,000 AE)

During practice

1. Men’s rugby (0.37/1,000 AE)
  2. Women’s ice hockey (0.31/1,000 AE)
  3. Men’s American football (0.30/1,000 AE)
  4. Women’s football (or soccer) (0.13/1,000 AE)
  5. Men’s ice hockey (0.12/1,000 AE)
  6. Men’s football (or soccer) (0.08/1,000 AE)

I've never taken you off ignore NOr and I have no plans on doing so. 

Soccer is the #1 sports for concussions but you people are so soft that everything in America is ny kid cant do this and that they may get hurt. I'll let my kid sit on the couch and get fat and bitch about now they are fat. And it's ok for my kid at 3 to become transgender that's perfectly ok in this society of 2019. 

NOR sit back and watch hs football closely. It's becoming harder and harder to watch as the players of today dont stack up to the players of even 10 years ago. 

https://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20170315/which-high-school-sport-has-the-most-concussions

On 4/9/2019 at 8:56 AM, Columbiafan said:

^^^^^^^ This

Agree 1000%.  Appreciate this post.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 7:07 AM, Columbiafan said:

Most concussions and brain damage accumulated has been in youth football where they have poor equipment

Where are you getting that info from?

Most, if not all, the confirmed CTE cases involving football players are those that participated through college and/or the pros. There's not an epidemic involving those that only played up to and through HS. In fact, there's never been a youth case ever officially linked to CTE, even though some have tried to sue.

https://www.scpr.org/news/2018/01/31/80296/a-cte-lawsuit-tackles-the-impact-of-youth-football/

"CTE has never been found in someone who just played youth football," said Dr. Julian Bailes, a neurosurgeon and former NFL doctor who chairs Pop Warner’s medical advisory committee..

While there have been a handful of deceased young men in their late teens and early 20s diagnosed with CTE, most of them played some high school football or another contact sport in addition to youth football.

Pop Warner Executive Director Jon Butler also stressed that, so far, youth football has not been linked to CTE.

"There may be a causal relationship, but it’s too early to tell for sure," he said. "There’s a lot of research going on. As research comes out we’ll be happy to make changes indicated."

Furthermore, even Dr. Julian Bailes, the neurosurgeon that mentored Bennet Omalu, is on record endorsing youth football. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/concussion-neurosurgeon-julian-bailes-endorses-youth-football-1.11214249

On 4/9/2019 at 6:45 AM, HSFBfan said:

I'll leave this here because it's a fact.

#1 sport for concussions... SOCCER!!

stop attacking football. It's a great sport that has never been safer. 

Specifically 'girls' soccer. It has one of the highest rates of any sport. I watched an episode of HBO Real Sports a few years back and part of the study they reported indicated that neck strength (or lack thereof) was a big part of the problem. Not only for 'headers' but when they fall down to the ground. They get more of a whiplash effect.

While they are trying to legislate 'headers' out of the game, you can't stop girls from falling down or running into each other. Still, we're not seeing a mass exodus in that sport. Because the media and other entities aren't reporting on it or attacking it similarly. It's all about a targeted attack on tackle football by certain entities and the press it's received that have scared parents away all the while remaining uneducated about or uninterested in knowing about numerous other activities their children participate in with the same or worse consequences.

As I've said many times, the parents that won't allow their teen to participate in tackle football but willingly hand them keys to car are major hypocrites. The latter is exponentially more dangerous and life threatening, not only to themselves but to others. But that activity is somehow deemed convenient and acceptable. Cool. Just don't preach to others that you're all about protecting your minor child when you allow one over the other.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Where are you getting that info from?

Most, if not all, the confirmed CTE cases involving football players are those that participated through college and/or the pros. There's not an epidemic involving those that only played up to and through HS.

Furthermore, even Dr. Julian Bailes, the neurosurgeon that mentored Bennet Omalu, is on record endorsing youth football. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/concussion-neurosurgeon-julian-bailes-endorses-youth-football-1.11214249

Specifically 'girls' soccer. It has one of the highest rates of any sport. I watched an episode of HBO Real Sports a few years back and part of the study they reported indicated that neck strength (or lack thereof) was a big part of the problem. Not only for 'headers' but when they fall down to the ground. They get more of a whiplash effect.

While they are trying to legislate 'headers' out of the game, you can't stop girls from falling down or running into each other. Still, we're not seeing a mass exodus in that sport. Because the media and other entities aren't reporting on it or attacking it similarly. It's all about a targeted attack on tackle football by certain entities and the press it's received that have scared parents away all the while remaining uneducated about or uninterested in knowing about numerous other activities their children participate in with the same or worse consequences.

As I've said many times, the parents that won't allow their teen to participate in tackle football but willingly hand them keys to car are major hypocrites. The latter is exponentially more dangerous and life threatening, not only to themselves but to others. But that activity is somehow deemed convenient and acceptable. Cool. Just don't preach to others that you're all about protecting your minor child when you allow one over the other.

I couldnt have said it better.