CalPreps 2019 Preseason Rankings

ECHS05

20 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Is there usually enough talent there for both to be good when you also have Brentwood academy?

Brentwood High is usually decent, but most years isn’t a serious threat to win state. Brentwood Acad, however, is a private school and can recruit and is always the better team. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Isn't Ravenwood almost like a magnet school?

I believe so. I haven’t lived in Tennessee since the mid 90s. Ravenwood wasn’t even around back then. They have been a pretty decent team since they opened. They upset my old high school (Oak Ridge) for the state title back in 04 or 05? 

Typically, though, the Nashville area has been dominated by the privates....BA,MBA, and Ensworth, with CPA making some noise for the smaller schools. If I remember correctly, CPA upset one of the big dogs in GA a few years back. Maybe Parkview? (Remind me GA guys) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Obviously this is the summer edition at the moment... But we no longer just have the "Sneak Peak". You can get on their actual 2019 rankings page...

Heres their top 100... As it sits now. Clearly this is gonna change... A lot... Between now & August.

1. Mater Dei CA

2. St. John Bosco CA

3. St. Frances Academy MD

4. St. Louis HI (what is this team doing here, CP loves this team)

5. Duncanville TX

6. Corona Centennial CA

7. St. John's DC

8. North Shore TX

9. Narbonne CA

10. DeMatha MD

11. St. Joseph's Prep PA

12. IMG Academy USA

13. Calabasas CA

14. Aledo TX

15. Colquitt Co. GA

16. John Curtis LA

17. Longview TX

18. De La Salle CA

19. Corner Canyon UT

20. Miami Central FL

21. Eastside Catholic WA

22. Gonzaga DC

23. St. Edward OH

24. St. Thomas Aquinas FL

25. Christian Brothers MO

26. Highland Park TX

27. Marietta GA

28. Saguaro AZ

29. Colerain OH

30. Miami Northwestern FL

31. Oaks Christian CA

32. Denton Ryan TX

33. Mentor OH

34. St. Joseph Regional NJ

35. Cathedral (San Diego) CA

36. Central (Phenix City) AL

37. Grace Brethren CA

38. Sierra Canyon CA

39. Mission Viejo CA

40. Folsom CA

41. Miami Columbus FL

42. Mandarin FL

43. Archbishop Hoban OH

44. Punahou HI

45. Norco CA

46. Nazareth Academy IL

47. Southlake Carroll TX

48. Good Counsel MD

49. Corona del Mar CA

50. Washington (Massillon) OH

51. JSerra CA

52. Armwood FL

53. McEachern GA

54. Pickerington Central OH

55. Chandler AZ

56. Carol City FL

57. Vanguard FL

58. Dutch Fork SC

59. Katy TX

60. Liberty (Brentwood) CA

61. St. Ignatius OH

62. Columbia FL

63. Parkview GA

64. Bishop Gorman NV

65. Central (Fresno) CA

66. North Little Rock AR

67. Lee Co. GA

68. Lake Travis TX

69. Bergen Catholic NJ

70. Trinity Christian FL

71. DeSmet Jesuit MO

72. Deerfield Beach FL

73. East St. Louis IL

74. Myers Park NC

75. Coatesville PA

76. Mililani HI

77. Lowndes GA

78. Cedar Grove GA

79. Allen TX

80. Serra (Gardena) CA

81. East Forsyth NC

82. Archer GA

83. Warren Central IN

84. North Gwinnett GA

85. Cartersville GA

86. Hoover AL

87. Lone Star TX

88. West Brook TX

89. Upland CA

90. Marshall TX

91. Lawndale CA

92. Madison Central MS

93. La Salle OH

94. Winton Woods OH

95. Jesuit (Tampa) FL

96. St. Augustine CA

97. Bishop Dunne TX

98. Lincoln-Way East IL

99. Bryant AR

100. Derby KS

Should look better each year with better criteria setup and more loaded roster teams in the top spots.  

The boldfaced teams are the dozen singled out by the MaxPreps pollster... all in the CP top 25. 

CP loves Hawaii, Massey loves Nebraska... both dislike the other similarly :).  Head to Head top 5 schools?   I like HI to outperform, but who knows.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Corner Canyon at 19 and 22?

How is DLS at 18 and STA at 24 if these ratings are based in large part on individual talent? STA might have 10 times the number of stars as DLS. 

What else goes into these preseason ratings?

Cal does not use the "head count poll" method. That was the method used by Rivals a decade ago. 

7 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

I believe so. I haven’t lived in Tennessee since the mid 90s. Ravenwood wasn’t even around back then. They have been a pretty decent team since they opened. They upset my old high school (Oak Ridge) for the state title back in 04 or 05? 

Typically, though, the Nashville area has been dominated by the privates....BA,MBA, and Ensworth, with CPA making some noise for the smaller schools. If I remember correctly, CPA upset one of the big dogs in GA a few years back. Maybe Parkview? (Remind me GA guys) 

Peachtree Ridge is the team CPA beat... 35-21.

Parkview beat CPA the next year 32-7.

3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Peachtree Ridge is the team CPA beat... 35-21.

Parkview beat CPA the next year 32-7.

Tennessee HSFB is garbage lets see them schedule a tough OOS game like a team from the WCAC 

2 hours ago, DMV said:

Tennessee HSFB is garbage lets see them schedule a tough OOS game like a team from the WCAC 

That's a bold statement. You sound like you're a piece of shit! Tennessee has consistently been a top 10-20 state in the entire country on a yearly basis. I wouldn't call that garbage. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Hmmm Grace Brethren batting their eyes at The Tiers.

batting eyes1.gif

You know, I know and the American people know Grace is-at WORDT- tier two nationally. All of us should have KNOWN this to be the case following the EPIC rally to DEFEAT St. Margaret's by a score of 13-12. READ IT AND WEEP! https://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/08/31/running-game-helps-grace-brethren-rally-past-st-margarets-2nd-half/1139634002/

• Like 1

And let's not forget the incredible OOS schedule Grace plays. ALL of the teams are from outside the states of Florida and all of the other 48 states. Every.Single.One. So, the schedule is really beyond reproach. I just want to know why we're getting SHAFTED being ranked only #37 nationally, which is only, for examples, four spots ahead of Miami Columbus, twenty spots ahead of Miami Carol City, twenty-seven spots ahead of Bishop Gorman, forty-two spots ahead of Allen, TX, forty-nine spots better than Hoover and sixty-five spots better than Lakeland. Like, we're above all those teams, yes, but why only that little bit? We would totally SMASH Miami Carol City. Twenty spots is not ENOUGH! I mean, we fucking beat St. Margaret's 13-12!! Imagibe what we would do to Allen!! 

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2019 at 7:08 AM, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Didn't see Lakeland or Milton in top 100, surely merit consideration.

Unless Ned switched gears and analyzed Milton on returning talent.

Actually not bad, kicking it off this time around.

Regards,

BGW

Milton #194. 

Milton brings back strong lines on both sides. But their QB carried them for the most part. He, and every one of their skill players are gone.

Lakeland is #102.

Not sure why. They did lose a lot of D1 studs. Zipperer, Hammond, Summerall, Jean, Huntley, etc..

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

So what method does he use?

He lists key returners and key losses and he lists the number of stars a player has when he's got stars. 

That clown doesnt know. Why anyone even entertains the things he says at this point is beyond me.

6 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Do you know how Ned determines preseason ratings? 

From all appearances, its a combination of a few things... They start with last years rating, and adjust up or down based on # of returning starters, # of D1 level players departing or returning, "historical reload factor" (aka if they are usually good no matter what they lose), their perceived SoS for the upcoming season... Etc.

Idk how they assign points to each of these criteria, but based on the "Preview" page... Thats most of what they use.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

From all appearances, its a combination of a few things... They start with last years rating, and adjust up or down based on # of returning starters, # of D1 level players departing or returning, "historical reload factor" (aka if they are usually good no matter what they lose), their perceived SoS for the upcoming season... Etc.

Idk how they assign points to each of these criteria, but based on the "Preview" page... Thats most of what they use.

But if DLS is ranked higher than STA, I've got to think that D1 players departing or returning isn't weighted as much as the other factors. It's too bad that the people who use algorithms rarely make it explicit how they determine initial values. 

If I remember correctly, I asked Jeff Fisher that question when he was on here, and he wasn't forthcoming either.