NJ student gets into all 8 ivies....obvious question

waltwhitman

8 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

No, just a question as he lives in Texas..... 

Yes, and you've spent time at Ft Hood, right? We are all aware of that. And some of the people (who agreed with you) were good people, and others there (who didn't agree with you) were low information people, right? We get it. The bottom line is you were in the middle of a conversation and you lost your focus and asked someone if they live near Ft Hood, which had nothing to do with anything. Like the dog in the cartoon, don't get sidetracked.

48 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Whites are not the subgroup so performing poorly on the test would not be racial bias, they would argue test ineffectiveness as a measure of overall ability.

My question is absent of this test what other certification requirements are they looking at?  Surely it's more than having a masters degree.  If you don't know that's fine.  I'm really trying to go beyond the hype of the article and see what else is being considered as options

My wife was a teacher / speech therapist for years.  Certification for specialized therapist is much more intensive, but for public school teachers a bachelors in education + masters in education + certified supervised classroom time as a student teacher is mandatory as far as I know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

Forget about it...Oh, talked to friends minutes ago who went to Dartmouth and Cornell.. Both agreed with my sentiment and have withdrawn large donations to both schools as a result of their far left agenda,which does include,reverse discrination and political correctness. AKA cowardice...Iam now done  with this discussion and your liberal,phony social justice sentiment... Iam done with you on this topic.. But again, wish you well... 

Dude quit being wimpy just talk, you rant and rave about this and that. I'm not trying to be rude but I don't care about your friends, I don't care what they do or for what cause.  You keep thinking you know me and my cause but frankly you've been far off.  One day I will share with you what I'm actually doing and what I actually support. 

4 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

I'm curious what this means, or perhaps an example to help me understand how the urban schools are doing this.

Intentionally keeping the children they're charged with educating, under educated 

The only way a person could view this as unintentional, is if that person believed that these children are incapable of learning in a system truly vested in their success .... and we know that's not the case

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drummer61 said:

No wimp at all...Been off before and will be off again,but that's all of us..I don't know you,correct,however I'd do read what you post and that is all I disagree with... "one day I will share with you what Iam actually doing and what I actually support".  Good, we are all waiting with baited breath and hopefully, whatever it is,it's good and helpful... Does this mean that all you have said is incorrect or your a hippocrite ??? How do you mean that ???

not a hypocrite at all.  I'm talking my views on education.  

I have a confusing story to tell. 

Back in HS Me 3.6 and my friends Danny 3.5 GPA. Mary 3.8 and Collin 3.8 all applied to a total  9 colleges. 

Now Im Black and Mary and Danny are asian and Collin is white. 

Heres the colleges we applied to:

Kennessaw State University

University of South Florida 

UGA

Georgia Tech 

Emory University 

University of  North Carolina 

UCF 

Mercer

And we all picked an Ivy league school to apply to:

Collin-Brown University-He actually had a scholarship from them too his Dad went to Brown as well. He got accepted

Mary- Princeton-Accepted. 

Danny- Harvard-Rejected 

Me-Dartmouth-Rejected. 

UGA: We all got accepted. 

KSU: We all got accepted 

UNC: Danny,Me and Collin got accepted Mary didnt apply to UNC or GT 

Georgia Tech: Me and Collin, Danny got Rejected-Dont know why....

USF- I got Rejected. Mary got accepted she was the only one out of us that did.... and that one really left me baffled.

Mercer- Rejected, Me and Danny. Accepted Collin and Mary. 

UCF- Me,Mary and Collin got accepted Danny didnt apply. 

Emory- I feel like Emory pissed on my letter because it was stained when I got it.... Rejected me and Danny. Mary got accepted. But they rejected Collin too. And that was was hard to understand. 

Of Course Mary and Collin went to there Ivy league schools.  

Danny went to VSU to build up his GPA and transferred to a school in California. 

And me well... Ive transferred from KSU to Armstrong Atlantic...  And I do plan to transfer again but IDK where.... I really wanna try UD in Ohio....

In retrospect, I wish I would have applied to all 8 Ivy League schools. But I had neither the money nor the inclination to attend very many of the Ivies.

I believe I applied to 8 schools total: for what it's worth I am Hispanic/Latino. I believe my HS GPA was about 3.75/4.0 and my SAT score was 1520/1600

Duke

Harvard

Yale

Northwestern

Princeton

Stanford

Brown

UTexas--my counselor made me apply so that I could get the highest scholarship they offered and make the school look good.

As a National Merit Scholar I was also given full scholarships to schools I didn't apply to (Carnegie Mellon was one)

In any case: I was denied at Stanford (even though my parents went there for Undergrad and Grad school), but I also wrote my application in pen bc I was so sure I would get in, and I believe of the 4 Ivies I applied to I was waitlisted at Princeton and asked them to remove me from consideration; everywhere else I was accepted. Ironically, in UIL academic competitions there were 2 kids in West TX I couldn't beat/never beat. 1 is a professor of Chemistry at Stanford (did his UG, Master's, and Ph D at Texas A&M); the other was teaching particle physics at Princeton but believe he was moving to Cal Tech last year (he did UG, Master's, and Ph. D at Princeton).

For Law School I applied to about 12 schools and was accepted at all but Yale. FWIW my UG GPA was 3.91, I was one of 6 in a class of about 3,500 to attain an "Honor's Degree, had the highest GPA in the college of English, and my LSAT Score was 171/180 I think the list of schools I applied to was:

Harvard

Yale

Michigan (pretty big scholarship)

Stanford

Cornell

NYU (small scholarship)

Columbia (small scholarship)

Northwestern (pretty big scholarship)

Duke

University of Texas (full scholarship offer there)

University of Wisconsin (full scholarship offer there)

Berkeley (Boalt Hall) (pretty big scholarship)

Applying to elite schools is largely a crap shoot, but not as much as applying to "elite" law firms. I did pretty well during OCI.

12 hours ago, concha said:

I doubt it is.

I think it's simply yet another one where liberals let feel-good social justice emotion rule the day over "think about it for a moment" common-effin'-sense.

Is everything no matter what the subject honestly a political party thing?  Honest question.  

10 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I'll tell you this from personal experience. 

Ive seen it myself. Despite the color of your skin especially now adays  people get bitter when they hear about anyone getting into an Ivy League. 

And for good reason its a double edge sword. 

1. Getting accepted into an Ivy league is a Hard thing to do. A Very Hard thing to do. And when people hear about someone getting accepted they get a bit bitter. Because it makes them feel inferior. Why? These colleges are Prestigous,Expensive and have a reputation for not accepting anyone.  If you get in the notion of "You must be better than me" gets thrown at the person who got acvepted. 

2. The Acceptee. Again Ive seen this. When people get accepted they get Swollen heads. My senior year there was a girl named Sarah who got accepted into Yale  she wasnt the only one to go to an Ivy league but she was the 1st to get accepted. She started talking down to people. Me included.... she began to gain a sense of Superiority as of she was better than us. 

Someone knocked her down a notch when they got into Brown.

The one who got into Brown was clearly smarter, better looking and clearly better overall.

Just now, concha said:

Of course not.

Feel free to share your opinion.  The affirmative action discussed is certainly not a conservative concept.

Don't get all defensive.  It was an honest question.  The first post I noticed was when discussing urban schools and you post about who runs them and then it spirals.  

6 minutes ago, playballintxandmi said:

In retrospect, I wish I would have applied to all 8 Ivy League schools. But I had neither the money nor the inclination to attend very many of the Ivies.

I believe I applied to 8 schools total: for what it's worth I am Hispanic/Latino. I believe my HS GPA was about 3.75/4.0 and my SAT score was 1520/1600

Duke

Harvard

Yale

Northwestern

Princeton

Stanford

Brown

UTexas--my counselor made me apply so that I could get the highest scholarship they offered and make the school look good.

As a National Merit Scholar I was also given full scholarships to schools I didn't apply to (Carnegie Mellon was one)

In any case: I was denied at Stanford (even though my parents went there for Undergrad and Grad school), but I also wrote my application in pen bc I was so sure I would get in, and I believe of the 4 Ivies I applied to I was waitlisted at Princeton and asked them to remove me from consideration; everywhere else I was accepted. Ironically, in UIL academic competitions there were 2 kids in West TX I couldn't beat/never beat. 1 is a professor of Chemistry at Stanford (did his UG, Master's, and Ph D at Texas A&M); the other was teaching particle physics at Princeton but believe he was moving to Cal Tech last year (he did UG, Master's, and Ph. D at Princeton).

For Law School I applied to about 12 schools and was accepted at all but Yale. FWIW my UG GPA was 3.91, I was one of 6 in a class of about 3,500 to attain an "Honor's Degree, had the highest GPA in the college of English, and my LSAT Score was 171/180 I think the list of schools I applied to was:

Harvard

Yale

Stanford

Cornell

NYU (small scholarship)

Duke

Applying to elite schools is largely a crap shoot, but not as much as applying to "elite" law firms. I did pretty well during OCI.

so full circle it is a crap shoot...but for instance you are from an area where everyone is applying to these schools,  they apply a quota system...any wealthy suburban area with strong school districts are effected.  back to the original question...only if a white or asian ( give u that ) cured some disease or invented something amazing would they get in....yes school apps should not be based on race just like it should not to be  a fireman or policeman etc....but we know that is not the case.  the narrative of white privilege is dangerous as is it belittles entire races accomplishments based on a lie...as this discussion has unfolded many points have been made but as the student who lost in the supreme court case can tell,,,,race still matters when it comes to admissions....... 

3 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Collin sounds like a stud and good all around guy.  The only type the Bears accept. 

Collin had a good resume. Where he lacked in physical strength he made up for in A spirit of kindness. 

He had a lot of Volunterr hours too... 

It wasnt required at our school to Volunteer nor was it required to get into Brown. 

He did it anyway. 

He recently came down to help with relief efforts in Albany and Adel after an EF4 ripped Albany asunder...  and an EF3 took over 8 lives in Adel. 

The scary part about those Tornadoes though. The lightning took out the radar system so nobody knew they where coming.... until it was too late. 

24 minutes ago, waltwhitman said:

so full circle it is a crap shoot...but for instance you are from an area where everyone is applying to these schools,  they apply a quota system...any wealthy suburban area with strong school districts are effected.  back to the original question...only if a white or asian ( give u that ) cured some disease or invented something amazing would they get in....yes school apps should not be based on race just like it should not to be  a fireman or policeman etc....but we know that is not the case.  the narrative of white privilege is dangerous as is it belittles entire races accomplishments based on a lie...as this discussion has unfolded many points have been made but as the student who lost in the supreme court case can tell,,,,race still matters when it comes to admissions....... 

Whites still are the dominant race at the elite schools, several get in based on legacy alone.  So what makes you think whites need to do something miraculous to get in?  Blacks are still underrepresented, close to 5-10% , so who do you think makes up the other 90%+?

26 minutes ago, playballintxandmi said:

Duke

Harvard

Yale

Northwestern

Princeton

Stanford

Brown

Harvard

Yale

Stanford

Cornell

NYU (small scholarship)

Duke

Not gonna lie... I really wanted to go to Dartmouth and when they rejected me it hurt a little. But now that I look back. I ask myself. Where would somebody like me fit in at an Ivy League school. Hell Collin went and we had similar personalities. But then I tell myself. Im not him. What may be right for him might not be right for me. 

I cant follow other people. Everybody has a path they must follow. Everybody has to find their own thing. Whats right for them. If you try to be someone else you'll lose yourself and your purpose. Youve got to be you. 

And me? Well Im a Gambling,Love sick fool who wants to be a TV Producer. And I'll get there one day.  

Just now, Horsefly said:

I can't speak for NY, but in Texas it's difficult to claim racial bias as certification classes are and can be taken to improve proficiency which levels the playing field.

if the pass rate in NY for each group is 41 and 61% then for weeding out purposes this seems about right as neither group performs exceptionally well

Level the playing field?