NJ student gets into all 8 ivies....obvious question

waltwhitman

Just now, Horsefly said:

Yes, having the opportunity to take courses to help one pass the state certification process levels the playing field for applicants

I've seen the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) test. Most questions (Reading, Writing, Mathematics), are on about a 11th or 12th grade level.

Im not sure I want a teacher in the classroom that has to take remedial classes to pass it.

• Like 1

Just now, rockinl said:

I've seen the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) test. Most questions are on about a 11th or 12th grade level.

Im not sure I want a teacher in the classroom that has to take remedial classes to pass it.

I sat for the gen elementary ed cert test and it's tough to pass if one had been out of school for a while, remedial classes would be needed.  But a lot of teachers come right out of school and sit for exams.   Texas certification is pretty stout.  My only problem is I don't like the staar test and TEKS.  Put control back to the districts and let them teach kids how to think not how to take tests

I still think we're glossing over the most important element here.

Blacks wouldn't need special concessions if they were properly educated in the first place.

By God's absolute grace, I went to an all black\ mexican elementary school (84-87) that was properly educated. There was a system put in place by Nolan Estes that gave the DISD's top prospects higher salaries laced with special incentives and bonuses to teach at schools in the poorest areas of Dallas. These schools were called SuperCenters. Principals were responsible for curriculum which were developed by department heads. Culture identity was very important. Mexicans were taught about the heros in their culture... as where blacks

These schools performed better academically than all schools in Dallas... they had no parental involvement... just teachers that loved their profession and were free to use their imagination

They were also paid a decent salary

This program began when I started elementary school.. and it ended when I left elementary school.

The drop off in commitment level once I got to middle school was evident to me even at 12 years old

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waltwhitman said:

so full circle it is a crap shoot...but for instance you are from an area where everyone is applying to these schools,  they apply a quota system...any wealthy suburban area with strong school districts are effected.  back to the original question...only if a white or asian ( give u that ) cured some disease or invented something amazing would they get in....yes school apps should not be based on race just like it should not to be  a fireman or policeman etc....but we know that is not the case.  the narrative of white privilege is dangerous as is it belittles entire races accomplishments based on a lie...as this discussion has unfolded many points have been made but as the student who lost in the supreme court case can tell,,,,race still matters when it comes to admissions....... 

Sure would be nice if the entire world could see no color or race and only hire or accept entrance based on who the best are.  But HELL NO this will NEVER happen.  

15 minutes ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

Blacks wouldn't need special concessions if they were properly educated in the first place.

By God's absolute grace, I went to an all black\ mexican elementary school (84-87) that was properly educated. There was a system put in place by Nolan Estes that gave the DISD's top prospects higher salaries laced with special incentives and bonuses to teach at schools in the poorest areas of Dallas. These schools were called SuperCenters. Principals were responsible for curriculum which were developed by department heads. Culture identity was very important. Mexicans were taught about the heros in their culture... as where blacks

These schools performed better academically than all schools in Dallas... they had no parental involvement... just teachers that loved their profession and were free to use their imagination

This program began when I started elementary school.. and it ended when I left elementary school.

The drop off in commitment level once I got to middle school was evident to me even at 12 years old

You hit the nail on the head, put control back in the hands of schools and they will perform better, also allow latitude in discipline, if a student needs to be expelled, allow them to do so.  No reason to have hands tied for repeated behavioral problems.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

One dissapointing thing about my HS when I graduated. And it wasnt a race thing. It was a gender thing. We had a ridiculous amount of males drop out of HS. 

By the time they got to 11th grade they startes to show a general Disinterest in Education. The state of GA has actually launched a study into this. 

And its shown that Women are more willing to continue while males once they hit a certain age start to show a disinterest or want to go to other things. 

2 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

One dissapointing thing about my HS when I graduated. And it wasnt a race thing. It was a gender thing. We had a ridiculous amount of males drop out of HS. 

By the time they got to 11th grade they startes to show a general Disinterest in Education. The state of GA has actually launched a study into this. 

And its shown that Women are more willing to continue while males once they hit a certain age start to show a disinterest or want to go to other things. 

Yea, there are many books that talk about that.  Really no need to do studies.  The evidence is out there if folks choose to take off the blinders.

20 hours ago, waltwhitman said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/04/us/teen-ivy-league-trnd/index.html

they reference the last couple to do this amazing accomplishment.....but after you read article and look at the previous people.....can a white student get into all 8?  probably not a chance in hell......which is sad for any student......why is that?

I think the Ivy League is OVERRATED!!! Look at five alums from HARVARD! Susan Rice, Joe Biden, the Havaii judge who has gone inSANE, Barry HUSSEIN Obana, and Dr. Farkas!xDxDxD Talk about a band of FUCKING INCOMPETENT MISFITS!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

You know WHY? Because black boys in the South, are generally handicapped from being in a one parent family, who has little time to keep their nose to the academic grindstone! They are generally in a lower economic strata, which bodes poorly for the nutritional requirements to perpetuate grey matter! Not to mention a poor living environment with which to study! Not to mention, many black boys get bored with edumacation, if they are not talented enough to be involved in some type of extra curricular activity!  Then, there are the pesky lil GANGS that perpetuate a vast number of 2017 public schools!

As my wise ole grand mammy use ta say! Lil Rabid, idol hands are the DEVIL DAWG'S workshop!

11 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

My wife was a teacher / speech therapist for years.  Certification for specialized therapist is much more intensive, but for public school teachers a bachelors in education + masters in education + certified supervised classroom time as a student teacher is mandatory as far as I know.

Incoming public school teachers need a masters in NY?  That's crazy.  

Out here clearing your credential (must be completed within 2 years of hire I believe) gets you roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to a masters.  Naturally I worked a shitload of OT to pay for my wife to finish the courses and get a masters.

And for the sad part...

I'm two classes shy of an AA, and make considerably more money than her.  

6 hours ago, GloryDays said:

Incoming public school teachers need a masters in NY?  That's crazy.  

Out here clearing your credential (must be completed within 2 years of hire I believe) gets you roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to a masters.  Naturally I worked a shitload of OT to pay for my wife to finish the courses and get a masters.

And for the sad part...

I'm two classes shy of an AA, and make considerably more money than her.  

I believe your masters has to be completed within the first couple of years of teaching.  You can start if you have the bachelors and required student teaching hours.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

I believe your masters has to be completed within the first couple of years of teaching.  You can start if you have the bachelors and required student teaching hours.  

Gotcha.  That makes more sense.

Do the school districts help pay for it?

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Well, money is nice, but what you really want is to be able to appeal to your formal education when arguing with strangers on the Internet.

My two cents. 

xD

Something tells me BofA won't accept internet arguments won as a payment for my mortgage.

42 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Sure they will, tell them you have 654 likes and are on top of the leader board.  That's gotta be worth something.  ?

Just got off the phone with the loan modification team at BofA.

Told them I'm a superstar on a HS football message board, and I will be cashing in my likes in lieu of paying my balance.

We move out tomorrow.

xD

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

White are also the dominant race in America...Blacks,what 20%" maybe a little more ?? The real question, why after almost 57 years are blacks performing so poorly after all the anti segregation efforts and benifits have been bestowed upon them.. Their reading levels are in many places lower than illegal invaders ... What must be done to assist this group of Americans or does the assistance come from within the black community itself ?? The great educator, Booker T Washington said, "beware of those among us who blame others for our trouble" or words very close to that... Govt is no longer the answer imo and hopefully, they have a solution..

your comments come off condescending, let me remind you blacks have made tremendous strides in this country post slavery and we are represented in all aspects of society (doctors, lawyers, CEOs, Ivy League grads, 4  star generals, POTUS, mayors, senators, business owners, etc. ) commendable achievement by a race in this country that was subjected to centuries of slavery and Jim Crow laws.  

However, there are some less fortunate that need attention and more focus. Which is the basis of one of Booker T Washington other quotes "if you want to lift your self up, lift some one else"

What we are doing in our black community here is empowering ourselves economically, educationally and politically.  It is a well thought out, coordinated plan that is coming together nicely with efforts from educators, civic leaders and our newly formed black chamber of commerce. 

The primary answer never was to be found outside of the black community.  Hopefully other communities take action accordingly

Hope this answers your question as a "concerned" citizen

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

No they are not,rather they are factual and you should know it....Factual data and truth are never condescending . You can try to sugarcoat facts with words like,"racist, condescending, anti freedom and all the other excuses for failure in any aspect" !!! 

What part of we are fixing our problems did you not understand?  I even spelled it out specifically for you and who needs to address issues in the black community. 

What is glossed over are the successes, many of us in this country and even on this site have achieved. Funny how those are never discussed.  ?  Those are facts too that conveniently get ignored as we associate those at the lowest denominator to everyone else.  This was a redirect as you made some very blanket statements about blacks falling short the past 57 years.  There are some of us that have achieved.