Best team names/mascots

954gator

11 hours ago, 954gator said:

I'll start with probably my favorite from Florida the Lakeland Dreadnaughts.     

A dreadnaught is a British battleship, so how exactly did this Central Florida high school earn its noteworthy nickname? In the early 1920’s, Lakeland principal and former British solider I.G. McKay told the football team that it played like a dreadnaught, “rolling over the opponents just as a massive ship steams through stormy seas.”

lakeland.jpg

Little history. When they first started playing football they weren’t called anything. 

In 1916 they were called the “yellow and black” 

in 1919 they changed their name to the “yellow jackets” 

in 1921 they changed their name to the “orange and black” 

and in 1923 they were finally called the Dreadnaughts! They went 10-0 and won the mythical state title. Not sure if it was coincidence or they were called that after the season. Will look it up 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Little history. When they first started playing football they weren’t called anything. 

In 1916 they were called the “yellow and black” 

in 1919 they changed their name to the “yellow jackets” 

in 1921 they changed their name to the “orange and black” 

and in 1923 they were finally called the Dreadnaughts! They went 10-0 and won the mythical state title. Not sure if it was coincidence or they were called that after the season. Will look it up 

That 1923 team was SICK! Dozens of players listed in the 247 database.

• Haha 3

Gainesville HS the Red Elephants. 

They got their name from the announcer when the team came out to the field running full force the announcer yelled "it's like a herd of red elephants rushing on the field" they also have a colorful history. 

With an overall record of 741 wins 335 losses 20 ties. 

They actually played Valdosta in one of the first state title games in Georgia. 

They put up a fight but lost 24-12. 

Gainesville_HS_Elephants_logo.max-1200x675.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing too crazy but I've always been fond of the Hudson Explorers from Hudson, Ohio. 

_H06E9FP_400x400.jpg

They got their name from a local... Lincoln Ellsworth, a polar explorer whom explored the poles and has several geographic features in Antarctica named after him. 

I like how clean and unique the logo and school/mascot name are.

• Like 3