Best team names/mascots

954gator

I'll start with probably my favorite from Florida the Lakeland Dreadnaughts.     

A dreadnaught is a British battleship, so how exactly did this Central Florida high school earn its noteworthy nickname? In the early 1920’s, Lakeland principal and former British solider I.G. McKay told the football team that it played like a dreadnaught, “rolling over the opponents just as a massive ship steams through stormy seas.”

lakeland.jpg

• Like 7

The Cairo Syrupmakers out of Cairo,GA

Originally Cairo HS where known as the Tigers. But one day a storm passes over Cairo during a football with heavy rain and the local Syrup factory workers quickly rushed out with rain ponchos and umbrellas for the players and fans. They changed the team name almost immediately to the Syrupmakers after the Syrupmaker factory workers saved them from the rain.

19 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Warner Robins Demons

The Demons are named after a WW2 bomber squadron the Air Forces Screaming Demon Bomber Squadron they operated out of an Air Force Base in Warner Robins... It's still there today. 

@FootballGuy is a Warner Robins alumni

images.png

On that note (not hs) love the

Ithaca College Bombers

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

A dreadnaught is a British battleship, so how exactly did this Central Florida high school earn its noteworthy nickname? In the early 1920’s, Lakeland principal and former British solider I.G. McKay told the football team that it played like a dreadnaught, “rolling over the opponents just as a massive ship steams through stormy seas.”

lakeland.jpg

A dreadnaught was just a battleship — didn’t have to be British 

unless you were specifically referring to the HMS Dreadnaught which was the first modern battleship and served as the class name for the battleship arms race that followed 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pops said:

A dreadnaught was just a battleship — didn’t have to be British 

unless you were specifically referring to the HMS Dreadnaught which was the first modern battleship and served as the class name for the battleship arms race that followed 

Yeah I just copy pasted that haha.   Didn't know the British had the first battleship good stuff. 

9 hours ago, 954gator said:

lakeland.jpg

It's good to see you come to your senses and join the good guys!

🤡

• Haha 1

Another one is the Glynn Academy Red Terrors. 

Glynn Academy (Brunswick,GA) is the 5th oldest High school in the USA(1776).  Their football mascot the Red terror is actually based on the Communist movement from 1918 in Russia it was dubbed the Red Terror by a Brunswick native the term was coined by the School and became the schools mascot... 

Yes The school technically owns the term "Red Terror" and also yes their mascot is literally Communism... 

GA Terror Mascot Art 09-24-09.jpg

• Like 1