R.I.P. Cedric Benson

imaGoodBoyNow

When I heard there was a crash on FM 2222 that closed the road last night & then this morning when a friend posted about Benson but no info was out yet how he passed . I just knew it was him who crashed last night heading home since he lives above the Loop 360 bridge on Courtyard with a great view of the city. Did not know he rode a bike. The road starts the Hill Country to Lake Travis.
It is one of my favorite roads to drive, been on it since the late 70s when it was a 2 lane all the way to FM 620 and with a lot of curves with blind spots before they straightened it out pass Loop 360 to 620 and now with 4 lanes & 5 lanes at spots for turning.
When driving any road always have an out and look way ahead. Drivers will give you a hint to what they are going to do either by switching lanes, a quick look in the mirror, body language behind the wheel. When I see a driver with 2 hands on the wheel on a hwy I stay away from them.sorry.
Drove 2222 for years coming and going to work since I worked down the street where he lived and l lived off 35th st and now at Lake Travis. But now mostly drive SW parkway Or 71 into town.
When my now ex-wifes water broke at the house bye Lakeway in 95 I left my job above the 360 bridge drove 2222 home put her in the back seat of the truck on all fours at 4pm on a Friday during rush hour on 2222 & mopac (Loop 1) and made it to Seton on 38th street in 20 mins, my son was born 20 mins later.
BUT people just do not paid attention when pulling out & lets face it I have passed people all of the time on the curves due to them not knowing how to drive it without hitting the brakes. I just want them behind me & out of my way, and I take both lanes when on the curves if no one is near me, stay off the gas & let the weight of whatever you are driving slow you down. Benson probably was going to fast for that mini van to see him going over a hill. It was near Mt Bonnell rd & there is a light there now so he could have ran it. He probably knew the road well. I might drive it today to see what happen. Bikers always drive 2222 fast BUT it is next to a cliff on the curves above, great views above Lake Austin and big & little rocks fall all of the time to the road and bikes slide on them to the other lane and get hit while going fast. In his case the driver never looked back to see if anyone was coming once they committed to enter the road which is a straightaway with 2 small hills that you can not see over and blind spots if either is not looking. See it all of the time plus the speed & it was at night these people even do it during the day...it's all about them when pulling out.
I last saw him during spring break in South Padre in 2002 on the beach, we did not bother him and saw him play in HS at Midland vs Westlake in the state championship game at UT he took over the game where he had I think 4 tds and they won the game.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, State Champ said:

When I heard there was a crash on FM 2222 that closed the road last night & then this morning when a friend posted about Benson but no info was out yet how he passed . I just knew it was him who crashed last night heading home since he lives above the Loop 360 bridge on Courtyard with a great view of the city. Did not know he rode a bike. The road starts the Hill Country to Lake Travis.
It is one of my favorite roads to drive, been on it since the late 70s when it was a 2 lane all the way to FM 620 and with a lot of curves with blind spots before they straightened it out pass Loop 360 to 620 and now with 4 lanes & 5 lanes at spots for turning.
When driving any road always have an out and look way ahead. Drivers will give you a hint to what they are going to do either by switching lanes, a quick look in the mirror, body language behind the wheel. When I see a driver with 2 hands on the wheel on a hwy I stay away from them.sorry.
Drove 2222 for years coming and going to work since I worked down the street where he lived and l lived off 35th st and now at Lake Travis. But now mostly drive SW parkway Or 71 into town.
When my now ex-wifes water broke at the house bye Lakeway in 95 I left my job above the 360 bridge drove 2222 home put her in the back seat of the truck on all fours at 4pm on a Friday during rush hour on 2222 & mopac (Loop 1) and made it to Seton on 38th street in 20 mins, my son was born 20 mins later.
BUT people just do not paid attention when pulling out & lets face it I have passed people all of the time on the curves due to them not knowing how to drive it without hitting the brakes. I just want them behind me & out of my way, and I take both lanes when on the curves if no one is near me, stay off the gas & let the weight of whatever you are driving slow you down. Benson probably was going to fast for that mini van to see him going over a hill. It was near Mt Bonnell rd & there is a light there now so he could have ran it. He probably knew the road well. I might drive it today to see what happen. Bikers always drive 2222 fast BUT it is next to a cliff on the curves above, great views above Lake Austin and big & little rocks fall all of the time to the road and bikes slide on them to the other lane and get hit while going fast. In his case the driver never looked back to see if anyone was coming once they committed to enter the road which is a straightaway with 2 small hills that you can not see over and blind spots if either is not looking. See it all of the time plus the speed & it was at night these people even do it during the day...it's all about them when pulling out.
I last saw him during spring break in South Padre in 2002 on the beach, we did not bother him and saw him play in HS at Midland vs Westlake in the state championship game at UT he took over the game where he had I think 4 tds and they won the game.

Eerily he posted this on the day he died 

Hours before the crash, Benson posted a photo of his motorcycle on social media with the caption, "My Saturday evening."

eb7df80690c349349091537b14d02856_md.jpg

The minivan erupted in flames

Image result for cedric benson crash scene

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

Eerily he posted this on the day he died 

Hours before the crash, Benson posted a photo of his motorcycle on social media with the caption, "My Saturday evening."

eb7df80690c349349091537b14d02856_md.jpg

The minivan erupted in flames

Image result for cedric benson crash scene

He might have been heading into town east bound from his house due to that red light which you only can turn left into Mt Bonnell from 2222 there is no street across for the east bound people to turn left into.

5 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

They don’t do that anymore it’s all about fancy juke moves and finesse, it’s hard to find a RB like that Now

While I don’t disagree it’s not like the old days, I’m not sure there was another earl campbell ever 

maybe Herschel walker 

wonder how many tear away jerseys he averaged per game 

RIP Cedric Benson — hate seeing accidents take people too young which is normally who’s involved 

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

While I don’t disagree it’s not like the old days, I’m not sure there was another earl campbell ever 

maybe Herschel walker 

wonder how many tear away jerseys he averaged per game 

RIP Cedric Benson — hate seeing accidents take people too young which is normally who’s involved 

Ron Dayne maybe

4 hours ago, State Champ said:

He might have been heading into town east bound from his house due to that red light which you only can turn left into Mt Bonnell from 2222 there is no street across for the east bound people to turn left into.

Well I stand corrected there is a light at Mt Bonnell But there is not one at the other Mt Bonnell across the other side closer to Austin several 100 yards from the light where this happen. The mini van was making a left on 2222 to go into town after a catering gig. I have came over that hill many times over the speed limit, this is right passed Mesa dr Red light.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/3+sisters+/@30.3406103,-97.7769706,982a,35y,276.48h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

4 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Ron Dayne maybe

I can tell you are younger than me 

I know Ron Dayne.  Ron Dayne was a great college RB.  And on his very best day, he couldn’t hold Earl Campbell’s jockstrap. 

He had highlights like @Cossacks posted about every game 

people did not like tackling him, even NFL guys would try to arm tackle him or grab his jersey 

At their best, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, and Herschel Walker are comparable and the Holy Troika for me.  I loved barry sanders but he’s a different sort of back 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Pops said:

I know Ron Dayne.  Ron Dayne was a great college RB.  And on his very best day, he couldn’t hold Earl Campbell’s jockstrap. 

people did not like tackling him, even NFL guys would try to arm tackle him or grab his jersey 

At their best, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, and Herschel Walker are comparable and the Holy Troika for me.  I loved barry sanders but he’s a different sort of back 

Yes he was a special talent who was right in my wheel house for my youth. Those MNF games (Dolphins game was his breakout game IMO) we’re always great when the Oilers were on. Rob Dayne was great to watch, but no where anywhere near the caliber of running back as Earl.

God bless Bum Phillips, but he rode that horse so much (he packed a 20 year career worth of carries for Earl into about a 5-6 year span). And they were violent carries, he brought the hammer and whole damn tool box to the defenders.

Followed his post playing career, which at times has been sad. Health issues and drinking problem, which it sounds like he has overcome. Just one of the  truly good guys I always have rooted for. If you try to find his old Skoal commercials they have all been wiped off the Internet, can’t find them.

9 hours ago, Pops said:

I agree with those 3 you listed and I would add Walter Payton. He didn't have the size of Brown, Campbell, or Walker but on occasion he would run over people. Pound for pound he was as strong as anyone.