ot: cops draw down on unarmed group of 12 year olds

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I asked why some black people distrust cops and you rattled off irrelevant things.  That distrust is not just in the large inner city, it's any black community, small, urban or rural. 

Its okay to say you don't have a view from that perspective, contrary to the image you try to portray on here, you don't know every damn thing.

Right... he mentioned that cops kill less unarmed blacks than cops are actually killed by armed black perps....

uhhhh... i'd certainly hope so

3 minutes ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

Right... he mentioned that cops kill less unarmed blacks than cops are actually killed by armed black perps....

Blacks are also more likely to be shot by a minority cop than a white cop also. 

Statistics and percentages work in many ways. 

Just now, DevilDog said:

As we are speaking there is assumed to be a shooting in the high rise across from me here in Dallas at my job, Swat Team and Helicopters all over our complex, Cops everywhere.  This is the reason I support them without hesitation each entered not knowing what they would encounter.  There are bad people period in this world.  Most cops arrest people without incident.  I think people get the perception of African American Angst twisted. No one is saying all blacks are Saints, nor all cops are bad.  But their is a Jacked up history between the two.  I get treated differently because my truck is a recruiting poster for the Corps.  I live in an upper Middle class neighborhood and live 1 mile from the Police Station.  I see them everyday out in my yard.  I am sure they patrol my neighborhood with a different mindset and I don't blame them.  That Ga. Video brings back haunting memories for black people and we all have stories from our Grandfathers, uncles and Fathers that I am sure most whites in America didn't hear.  I don't think they were lying to us.  As a matter of fact our Mothers say they whip us for this reason:  I will put my belt on you right now so that man don't have to put his stick on you later:  That's true ask any African American.  P.S. this situation is serious. I just told all the stupid civilians in my office to get their butts away from the windows. Damn they have no concept, no idea if there is an active shooter or where he is but they must see.  12 Cop cars and ambulance the situation is fluid still..   Much respect for Five-0 from me.  I heard a guy is barricaded inside.

Good post. I agree with all.

Im no expert but trust me, Ive been around many, many good black folks that are law abiding citizens but would not talk to the police concerning a crime. And you're right. Its about a few bad apples that should have never worn a badge.

Question: Do you think some black folks nowdays fear the cops for the same reason a lone white woman may fear you alone in an elevator? Because of some bad actors? Im not talking about elderly black folks who I KNOW were mistreated, but the now generation.

Bad people isnt about race...at least its not in my opinion. To me its more about the culture a lot of kids grow up in. Good or bad, kids are a product of their environment. 

I spent many hours in the black community as a LEO. Im not black, but I do understand the cultures, both good and bad. I could say the same thing about the redneck trailer parks.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The  root problem is breakdown of family structure precipitated by any number of reasons from criminality, joblessness, incarceration, dependence on welfare, drugs, etc.

cleanup of those communities begins with those in the community.

100%. Now, how do WE as a society stop a lot 10 year olds from looking up to, and wanting to be gang members? 

My honest answer? I dont think we can.  I tried.

As long as they look up to the guys on the "cut" making hundreds of $$$ selling dope, driving the Benz, etc..., its a hard sell to a teen to work you way up in life when homie is making a 1000 a day dealing.

18 minutes ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

I know you are down the street from me sir. I just heard the guy shot 2 and Killed himself.  Not sure if the people shot perished. Terrible.  Most likely parked in the same garage as the Perp.  Crazy literally right across from me.   It's hard to have these conversations because we all believe what we want.  Crime has been and always will be higher among poor people that isn't a racial thing it is a survival thing.  Then when you add in these arcane enforcement laws especially over drugs it creates more of a problem.  I have a question why is it now a major issue to deal with Opioids Whites are O.D at alarming rates and usage skyrocketing. Now it is an issue to be dealt with as an illness instead of mass incarceration of the users. Meanwhile Crack Cocaine is seen as a problem of the culture and must pass strict drug laws and destroy the people.

Serious discussion only since I saw a lot of finger pointing.  Why is this now the case?  I will gladly provide proof.  It has cut the average age life expectancy of white American's it is abused so much. Yet no strict laws to lock them all up like crack.  No laws designed to destroy their communities.  Even the President is onboard. Yet previous ones only pushed tough drug laws for minorities instead of treatment. 

I AM POINTING THIS OUT WHEN OTHERS SAY BLACKS ARE JUST CRIMINALS THAT IS WHY THEY ARE ALL LOCKED UP. 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/872062

When nonmedical opioid use increased in White communities, rather than arresting consumers, regulators mandated physicians to use Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs, instituted voluntary take-back programs for unused medication, and disseminated the opioid overdose reversal medication naloxone, while passing Good Samaritan laws to protect those calling for emergency assistance during an overdose from drug charges. The arrest rate for sale or possession of manufactured drugs was one-quarter that for the sale or possession of heroin or cocaine,[6] even though prescription opioid misuse far exceeded heroin use.

• Like 2

Black drug users are thugs and criminals.  White drug abusers need help because it is an illness. 

What conclusion is one to make of this?  And by the way I didn't make this reality up.  I can damn sure prove it and most here know it

to be the truth. What dynamic in America make you look at these instances different yet it is humans dealing with the same affliction?

One is to be incarcerated thus destroying their livelihood yet the other to be treated and now incarceration is not the answer.

Help me with this damn fact:

US Congress legalized office-based opioid maintenance with buprenorphine following expert testimony that methadone was inappropriate for the "suburban spread of narcotic addiction"; that is, middle-class opioid-dependent people were thought to be more often employed and unwilling to comply with daily observed dosing in methadone clinics that carried stigma. Three years after US Food and Drug Administration approval of buprenorphine, 91% of the US patients taking buprenorphine were White, and most were college educated, employed, and dependent on prescription opioids, in contrast to methadone patients who were less often White, college educated, or employed and who primarily used heroin.

Concha you are very smart sir.  Chart or stats to explain this strange phenomenon sir or other expert excuse.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I know you are down the street from me sir. I just heard the guy shot 2 and Killed himself.  Not sure if the people shot perished. Terrible.  Most likely parked in the same garage as the Perp.  Crazy literally right across from me.   It's hard to have these conversations because we all believe what we want.  Crime has been and always will be higher among poor people that isn't a racial thing it is a survival thing.  Then when you add in these arcane enforcement laws especially over drugs it creates more of a problem.  I have a question why is it now a major issue to deal with Opioids Whites are O.D at alarming rates and usage skyrocketing. Now it is an issue to be dealt with as an illness instead of mass incarceration of the users. Meanwhile Crack Cocaine is seen as a problem of the culture and must pass strict drug laws and destroy the people.

Serious discussion only since I saw a lot of finger pointing.  Why is this now the case?  I will gladly provide proof.  It has cut the average age life expectancy of white American's it is abused so much. Yet no strict laws to lock them all up like crack.  No laws designed to destroy their communities.  Even the President is onboard. Yet previous ones only pushed tough drug laws for minorities instead of treatment. 

I AM POINTING THIS OUT WHEN OTHERS SAY BLACKS ARE JUST CRIMINALS THAT IS WHY THEY ARE ALL LOCKED UP. 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/872062

When nonmedical opioid use increased in White communities, rather than arresting consumers, regulators mandated physicians to use Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs, instituted voluntary take-back programs for unused medication, and disseminated the opioid overdose reversal medication naloxone, while passing Good Samaritan laws to protect those calling for emergency assistance during an overdose from drug charges. The arrest rate for sale or possession of manufactured drugs was one-quarter that for the sale or possession of heroin or cocaine,[6] even though prescription opioid misuse far exceeded heroin use.

DD you know the answer man. It is the same reason as to why now you can buy and trade weed on the market. Yet lil homie who was selling dime bags on the corner is doing life in the pen.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

DD you know the answer man. It is the same reason as to why now you can buy and trade weed on the market. Yet lil homie who was selling dime bags on the corner is doing life in the pen.

Exactly and lil homie life is fucked up. Now he is unemployable and guess what he must do to survive.  I was part of big brother while an active duty Marine in San Diego and a white lawyer told me personally that the system was set up to incarcerate black and brown people and that the majority of the prisons were privately operated and that corporations paid these entities for business thus free labor producing products all the way to fucking Tilapia farms run by prisons.  Another form of slavery with drug laws targeting them.  He showed me that White males between 19-25 smoked more marijuana than black and Latino youths but the latter were twice as likely to be locked up for possession. Because they are targeted and the white kid smoking helluva weed in the Suburbs is not. I bet if you go to Allen HS right now and do a mass shakedown there is just as much weed as in Longview ISD.     

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but I know when someone keeps me in the dark and feeds me shit and that would be a mushroom.  Seems to be a lot of mushrooms in these discussions.  I don't believe in turning the other cheek if you lock the hell out of one group now do the same to the other group and fuck up their lives and let's review their communities in 20 years.  Now compound this for 150 years and see if you are so flippant to point fingers and say it is their culture.  They are thugs fashioned and molded expertly as planned.  It was said destruction of the family structure:  We know 2 things that play a major role In this War and Incarceration.   Sadly war was declared by Reagan, Clinton and Bush because well they needed to win elections and the old tough on crime always wins.  By the way I voted for 2 of the 3.

Peace:   Back to making money in what I know Insurance. :ph34r: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Black drug users are thugs and criminals.  White drug abusers need help because it is an illness. 

What conclusion is one to make of this?  And by the way I didn't make this reality up.  I can damn sure prove it and most here know it

to be the truth. What dynamic in America make you look at these instances different yet it is humans dealing with the same affliction?

One is to be incarcerated thus destroying their livelihood yet the other to be treated and now incarceration is not the answer.

Help me with this damn fact:

US Congress legalized office-based opioid maintenance with buprenorphine following expert testimony that methadone was inappropriate for the "suburban spread of narcotic addiction"; that is, middle-class opioid-dependent people were thought to be more often employed and unwilling to comply with daily observed dosing in methadone clinics that carried stigma. Three years after US Food and Drug Administration approval of buprenorphine, 91% of the US patients taking buprenorphine were White, and most were college educated, employed, and dependent on prescription opioids, in contrast to methadone patients who were less often White, college educated, or employed and who primarily used heroin.

Concha you are very smart sir.  Chart or stats to explain this strange phenomenon sir or other expert excuse.

DD,

We've been through this all before.  I don't present excuses. I present facts and data. The drug problem in this country is everywhere.  But drug and gang violence is generally centered/concentrated in urban areas.  Do you want to discuss addiction, or what this thread essentially addressed:  the gun/violence issue and how/why cops should react?

Suburban areas don't have dealers on every other corner and gunshots ringing out every day.

You always seem to think that I am of the Lamar or Cajun point of view regarding Africa-Americans as if high melanin content and dark, curly hair somehow make a person more likely to commit crime. Absurd. As pointed out by Horsefly, I think it is far more the breakdown of the black family (and you know where I lay the blame for that - look at the growth of the Great Society/Nanny State) and the hopelessness of the inner city (again, run by guess who). Throw in the rise of the narcos since the 80s (first Colombia, now Mexico) and there you are...

16 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Can I count you as "in" when it comes to walling the border and getting serious about the flow of drugs into this country? 

8 minutes ago, concha said:

Can I count you as "in" when it comes to walling the border and getting serious about the flow of drugs into this country? 

Sorry but no. I think the wall is a frigging joke. It is nothing but theatre.

As for America getting serious about drugs flowing in? Never going to happen. Our government are the biggest dealers in America. Who do you think brought crack into the inner cities? The CIA did so they could support the contra's.

There is way to much money being made in the game of drugs. You need the dogs and the dog catchers. You need the attorney's and judges. You need jails and prisons. All money makers. Hell I just watched a damn good documentary on Showtime called "burn motherfucker burn" it was abt the LA riots.  They talked about after 3 days of rioting the people started coming together. How killers from the bloods and the cripts had a truce. They interview this cat I cant remember if he was a leader of a blood or or cript gang. Anyway he said he went to a police captain and told him of the truce. He said the captain told him we don't want a truce man. I paid for my home and 3 new cars off the OT I worked because of your war. Then they show police in riot gear thanking the people for all the OT they were getting.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, concha said:

DD,

We've been through this all before.  I don't present excuses. I present facts and data. The drug problem in this country is everywhere.  But drug and gang violence is generally centered/concentrated in urban areas.  Do you want to discuss addiction, or what this thread essentially addressed:  the gun/violence issue and how/why cops should react?

Suburban areas don't have dealers on every other corner and gunshots ringing out every day.

You always seem to think that I am of the Lamar or Cajun point of view regarding Africa-Americans as if high melanin content and dark, curly hair somehow make a person more likely to commit crime. Absurd. As pointed out by Horsefly, I think it is far more the breakdown of the black family (and you know where I lay the blame for that - look at the growth of the Great Society/Nanny State) and the hopelessness of the inner city (again, run by guess who). Throw in the rise of the narcos since the 80s (first Colombia, now Mexico) and there you are...

You know I don't in any fashion rank you among those 2 dumb asses never have.  My question is why are we not locking up all these damn opioid users.  Suburban areas have more drug dealers than you care to acknowledge.  I grant the gangs are a huge problem.  I am not sugarcoating a damn thing.  Again when you destroy communities with certain laws you get what you have in inner cities. That isn't hard to understand it produces a sub economy for survival.  I tell you what pass the same damn laws for opioids as Crack and lets have this discussion in 25 years. I will assure you sir your perspective will change.  That's what I am saying now go back 150 years with this madness.  Look up peonage sir.  We have modern day peonage with Brown and Black perps and we have modern day Intervention with White perps.    I just gave you medical stats on this sir.  You get violence with these issues.  Who controls our Borders, and seas.  The government not Crips, Bloods or Latino Gangs.  There has never been a damn war on drugs because it was a minority problem and other got rich at their expense including many police departments.  The war is on poor people (Fact)  Explain how Cocaine can get to South Central and East LA yet not (1) damn Cocoa Field anywhere in the inner cities.  There is a war on Cuba and you can't buy a Cuban Cigar any damn where. How can you keep out a package of Cigars but magically thousands of Kilo's of Cocaine get thru each day.  Why?  Maybe whoever is in charge of fucking over Cuba should take over the Drug enforcement. 

Don't interpret this as an excuse for anyone's wrong actions.  Just a different perspective from research.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rockinl said:

Why do cops have to spend so much time in black communities? I can promise you the majority of calls to the LPD are from the law abiding citizens in South Longview. Lot of good elderly folks down there that wont come out after dark because of gangs and dope dealers. Why is that?

Why are their dope dealers on the corners in South Longview every night, and not on my street? Why is the murder rate in predominately black South Longview one of the highest in Texas? Why were 80 of all violent crimes committed in Longview Texas in 2015, committed by black males between the ages of 15 and 45? Why is a 12 year old black male walking the streets with a revolver?

Why were there 15 homicides in Longview in 2015 (highest in TEXAS for its size), and 0 in Allen? Is it because the police have a better relationship with the Allen community? Or was it that Allen doesnt have a minority gang problem?

Why dont you ask me who I overwhelmingly had the most problems with in my 13 years as a P.O. and a school resource officer?

Start by answering those questions professor. Point the finger at the root of the problems. This is no way a "black vs white" post. This is reality vs. fiction.

You know nothing about real world policing.

Longview Texas is a very small case study... dont you agree?

according to fbi stats ... even with biased arrests included, whites still outnumber blacks in felony arrest by almost 3 to 1...

two huge problems I have with that: it's not represented in the media or the prison system

---------

on another note... why have shootings by cops increased to all time highs while violence in America has decreased to all time lows??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laurenbrooke-eisen/americas-faulty-perceptio_b_6878520.html

-----------

I grew up in a city where cops had it rough... Dallas averaged well over 300 murders a year during my teens..

but cops weren't on edge... and society didn't consistently make excuses for questionable behavior

Much of society was repulsed when they saw the Rodney King Beating....we're desensitized now that cold blooded murder by cops doesn't even make us flinch

----------------------------------------

I have a theory...

I dont think it's a 'cop' problem per se.. I think it's a generational issue

Far too many people have adopted a me first attitude... from the customer care rep at Verizon... to the cashier at Mcdonalds...Loan Officers at Wells Fargo.. to midwives in delivery rooms (im reminded of a doctor killing a baby during delivery because she was in a rush to get to the club)

sadly, this generation of cops are no different...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Sorry but no. I think the wall is a frigging joke. It is nothing but theatre.

Trump's policies have slowed border crossings hugely.

They are contemplating labeling MS_13 a terrorist organization.

I'd like to have faith that something is going to get done. It will never be stopped, but we should try to limit it.

Just now, concha said:

Trump's policies have slowed border crossings hugely.

They are contemplating labeling MS_13 a terrorist organization.

I'd like to have faith that something is going to get done. It will never be stopped, but we should try to limit it.

I agree 100%. Something needs to be done. I think President Trump has done a great job so far. I just don't think a damn wall is the answer. I think we need to keep doing what we are doing now. Which is enforcing the laws we currently have. We have been such pussies for so long, just standing back up is making a statement.

1 hour ago, rockinl said:

100%. Now, how do WE as a society stop a lot 10 year olds from looking up to, and wanting to be gang members? 

As long as they look up to the guys on the "cut" making hundreds of $$$ selling dope, driving the Benz, etc..., its a hard sell to a teen to work you way up in life when homie is making a 1000 a day dealing.

I have no interest in restoring the habitual loser, I want to separate them from those with potential.  School should not be a right but a privilege.  From a young age, tie behavior to either reduced welfare or fines, depending on the socioeconomic group.  Then escalate repeated offenders to community service, they can cleanup their cities, or work on agriculture farms.  Still not reformed, then we conscript those of age, similar to the French foreign legion, they can kiss mommy and daddy goodbye forever and be tip of the spear for combat operations around the world. At this stage their life is expendable so,they would serve until mom and dad get a notice saying their son or daughter served the country well in operations in _____.  Those that are of good quality would be considered for augmentation into the regular service.

the prison system doesn't work well, they go in, serve time and get out and go back to what they were doing and are a bad influence on the younger groups.   Make a permanent separation by conscripting and sending to war in their own units.

Just now, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

Longview Texas is a very small case study... dont you agree?

according to fbi stats ... even with biased arrests included, whites still outnumber blacks in felony arrest by almost 3 to 1...

two huge problems I have with that: it's not represented in the media or the prison system

---------

on another note... why have shootings by cops increased to all time highs while violence in America has decreased to all time lows??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laurenbrooke-eisen/americas-faulty-perceptio_b_6878520.html

-----------

I grew up in a city where cops had it rough... Dallas averaged well over 300 murders a year during my teens..

but cops weren't on edge... and society didn't consistently make excuses for questionable behavior

Much of society was repulsed when they saw the Rodney King Beating....we're desensitized now that cold blooded murder by cops doesn't even make us flinch

----------------------------------------

I have a theory...

I dont think it's a 'cop' problem per se.. I think it's a generational issue

Far too many people have adopted a me first attitude... from the customer care rep at Verizon... to the cashier at Mcdonalds...Loan Officers at Wells Fargo.. to midwives in delivery rooms (im reminded of a doctor killing a baby during delivery because she was in a rush to get to the club)

sadly, this generation of cops are no different...

Very good post.  But even though one innocent person killed by a PO is too many, dont you think the "cops are killers" mentallity has been way overblown and generalized? 

Trust me, Ive known a couple of bad cops. Actually turned in 1 once for something similar to the video posted in this thread.. But 99% of the ones Ive known and worked with were decent people who just wanted to make it home after each shift.

• Like 5

Just now, Horsefly said:

I have no interest in restoring the habitual loser, I want to separate them from those with potential.  School should not be a right but a privilege.  From a young age, tie behavior to either reduced welfare or fines, depending on the socioeconomic group.  Then escalate repeated offenders to community service, they can cleanup their cities, or work on agriculture farms.  Still not reformed, then we conscript those of age, similar to the French foreign legion, they can kiss mommy and daddy goodbye forever and be tip of the spear for combat operations around the world. At this stage their life is expendable so,they would serve until mom and dad get a notice saying their son or daughter served the country well in operations in _____.  Those that are of good quality would be considered for augmentation into the regular service.

the prison system doesn't work well, they go in, serve time and get out and go back to what they were doing and are a bad influence on the younger groups.   Make a permanent separation by conscripting and sending to war in their own units.

Awesome post. Thanks. I agree totally. 

The current prison system usually makes borderline people worse.

45 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

You know I don't in any fashion rank you among those 2 dumb asses never have.  My question is why are we not locking up all these damn opioid users. [Easier to capture and arrest folks in population-dense areas. The suburban guy is probably less likely to have other criminal habits (particularly violent) to support his habit. Which area as a police chief or mayor do you prioritize? Where folks take drugs? Or where there are drugs and a huge gang/violence problem?  And remember... the 3-strikes rule was signed by Slick Willie himself.]  Suburban areas have more drug dealers than you care to acknowledge. [Possibly, though I don't deny them to begin with.]  I grant the gangs are a huge problem.  I am not sugarcoating a damn thing.  Again when you destroy communities with certain laws you get what you have in inner cities. [Agree.] That isn't hard to understand it produces a sub economy for survival.  I tell you what pass the same damn laws for opioids as Crack and lets have this discussion in 25 years. I will assure you sir your perspective will change.  That's what I am saying now go back 150 years with this madness.  Look up peonage sir.  We have modern day peonage with Brown and Black perps and we have modern day Intervention with White perps.    I just gave you medical stats on this sir.  You get violence with these issues.  Who controls our Borders, and seas. [Disagree. This is a huge part of the problem. The government does not (or IS not) controlling the border!] The government not Crips, Bloods or Latino Gangs. [It is an ineffective government effort vs. the gangs and cartels.] There has never been a damn war on drugs because it was a minority problem and other got rich at their expense including many police departments.  The war is on poor people (Fact)  Explain how Cocaine can get to South Central and East LA yet not (1) damn Cocoa Field anywhere in the inner cities. [Because our government isn't controlling the border and the trade is so lucrative.] There is a war on Cuba and you can't buy a Cuban Cigar any damn where. [But you can get good Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan ones.] How can you keep out a package of Cigars but magically thousands of Kilo's of Cocaine get thru each day.  Why? [If someone thought they could get a multi-billion dollar business going smuggling Cuban sticks into the US, it would happen. It's unlikely given the non-narcotic nature of cigars, the lack of addiction etc.. Cigars vs. cocaine and heroin is a silly discussion, frankly]  Maybe whoever is in charge of fucking over Cuba should take over the Drug enforcement. 

Don't interpret this as an excuse for anyone's wrong actions.  Just a different perspective from research.

11 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

I agree 100%. Something needs to be done. I think President Trump has done a great job so far. I just don't think a damn wall is the answer. I think we need to keep doing what we are doing now. Which is enforcing the laws we currently have. We have been such pussies for so long, just standing back up is making a statement.

Agree generally.  But a wall to help limit the number of narco gang members coming in and making getting the product over the border more difficult and expensive will help. 

As far as the video, which I just watched. Zero problems with it whatsoever. This was "reported" to the officer (this was not an issue of the officer on viewing something or perceiving something). Pretty specific description by the RP and a gun was mentioned.

Officer did a good job in his contact with the group (his gun better have been out based on the information he had at the time). He used good tactics, remained calm and didn't escalate the situation, while also having a mother in the background to deal with also. Mom was understandably concerned about her kids and have no problem with her initial reaction, but she also has to realize this officer is by himself, outnumbered by subjects who match the description and are in the area where a gun had just been seen and based on the circumstances he took the safest and most common sense approach. Overall a good job and really much ado about nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockinl said:

My opinion is that it takes a village.  The whole village.  It comes down to giving a damn about people.  Especially people who are different and people we don't know.  

There is a lot We can do for Our at risk youth and all of it has to start by caring about people and realizing when someone is helped, it helps all of us.  There is no downside to giving a damn about people.  Too many "all about me and the hell with them" attitudes walking around. Imho.

• Like 3