Question, now that the world is coming to an end.

thc6795

Just now, Blueliner said:

You clowns are too funny. Comprehension and not making shit up isn't your strong suits. And I've answered it a few times. Here's the latest max. Enjoy.

You're on an island with a few others, but not many. So the large majority of the human population are clowns, eh? While you and a few others really get what's going on?

You keep saying how it has affected the US economy, without mention of the world economy. What's going on is nuts and horrible, and some like you have to blame someone/anyone. Blame Trump. Blame the media. Blame China. Blame Democrats. Blame Republicans. Blame the UN. Blame the Romulans or Darth Vader. The entire world is willing to take a bullet as long as Trump's reelection chances are lessened? Just like people in other countries, we in the US tend to exaggerate our own importance.

It fucking sucks. We agree. But you've been posting for months how you share the opinions of the far Right that all libtards and DemoRats are lying, unethical, immoral, blah, blah, blah POS. It's not just a coincidence that you blame these people for this terrible course of events. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Yes. It has crossed my mind. The rest of the world has a lot of skin in the game in terms of this President's beliefs and policies...as they've been cut off from the US of A teet in a big way. Like the dems/establishment here in the US, there are countries want things to go back to how they were. The successful and unbridled redistribution of America's wealth. 

Our disconnect will always be that you don't WANT to get my point. Or at least entertain the idea that there is something that we aren't being told. Understandably so because it entails going against blindly questioning what's being fed to us. You already have a belief...which is cool and I respect. To me...being in emergency services my entire adult life and have gone through MANY epidemic preparation and responses...this simply doesn't make sense. H1N1 preparation and response was a 180 from this response even though it was killing a lot more people...and a lot of kids. And I don't wanna hear about how we learned from H1N1. The CDC and WHO have been competent disease control organizations LONG before H1N1. 

And then I look at who has the most to gain from this, at this point relatively speaking, minor virus that has completely shut down the US economy in an epic and unprecedented way. With this type of response, based on my knowledge and experience, would expect to see bodies piling up outside of hospitals. I can tell you what. I am around hospitals and staff everyday (for another week anyways), there is a lot of talk and no coronavirus to be found. I'm not buying what's being peddled. I guess we'll see. I hope that I'm wrong. 

I do want to get your point.

But the Trump angle doesn't make a lot of sense when Trump is now going along with it. Trump and other Republicans were originally downplaying the seriousness of the virus and encouraging people to carry on business as usual. Now they are on board with the restrictions that are threatening to send us all into the next great global economic depression. 

How does that fit with your working thesis that the news regarding the virus and our response to it is a conspiracy to undermine Trump and the Republicans?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rippers said:

I'll hazard the guess that I might be just a little closer to the epicenter than you are.  We've been elbow deep in this for about a month now.  I still know no one who has contracted it.  I know people who have been tested, who have been told to self monitor and who have been under 14 day quarantine and I still know no one.

I do expect that to change in the near future though.

i am glad we are where we are.... it's a wave that moves on

i'd rather be first one in the water and first one out

11 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I do want to get your point.

But the Trump angle doesn't make a lot of sense when Trump is now going along with it. Trump and other Republicans were originally downplaying the seriousness of the virus and encouraging people to carry on business as usual. Now they are on board with the restrictions that are threatening to send us all into the next great global economic depression. 

How does that fit with your working thesis that the news regarding the virus and our response to it is a conspiracy to undermine Trump and the Republicans?

BB I dont really know what, who  or why. However as I have been saying I dont believe this has all happened because 8k people have died world wide, from a virus. Considering 80k people have died this year from the flu, and that is just here in America. 

It does not add up. 

1 hour ago, thc6795 said:

So three pages in and not one person knows anyone personally? Ok how about this, other than who the media has told us about. Does anyone know a friend of a friends who's friends sister knows a friend who has it? 

I mentioned a contractor I know of directly that was working in Lowndes High School's new buildings. 30 year old, now in ICU at Emory in Atlanta. 

Apparently there is also 2 women that either work for the city of Moultrie or somehow affiliated, that I heard just got confirmation today of positive tests. One in ICU with pneumonia. 

I feel like you are too excited to find someone you know with it. Just know that because it hasn't happened y.e.t. that it very well may. 

Y.ou're

E.ligible

T.oo

• Like 1

Every 4 days, the number will compound. Maybe in less time than that as testing becomes more available. 

I understand that Albany has tested 500 in a few days. They're being so diligent in who gets tested, that the belief is, the vast majority will be positive tests. 

In 4 days... that could be 800 to 1000. Then compounding again and again after and until the outbreak is over or under control. 

As this happens, the likelihood of me knowing someone.directly increases dramatically. 

3 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Is this a troll post?

Why would the rest of the world cooperate in undermining their own economies in order to reduce Trump's chances of winning the next election? 

That's because the conspiracy is a lot deeper than you could ever imagine, "don't ya know."         /snark

While watching Chris Cuomo on CNN last night, Mike Leavitt who was the Secretary of Health and Human Services under George W. Bush made an interesting comment.  He said:

"Anything you do before a pandemic is alarmist, anything after is inadequate."

That's a pretty interesting comment to not gloss over quickly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thc6795 said:

BB I dont really know what, who  or why. However as I have been saying I dont believe this has all happened because 8k people have died world wide, from a virus. Considering 80k people have died this year from the flu, and that is just here in America. 

It does not add up. 

I think it's strange too. And I'm more worried about the economy than the virus.

How do we know that 80K people have died from the flu in the US if we've only tested about 40k for the c-virus? 

10 minutes ago, Rippers said:

I think about 97% of the tests that we have done here, and we have done a lot, have come back negative.

WA is reporting that about 8 percent of their tests have come back positive.

LA is reporting that about 33 percent of their tests have come back positive. 

Who knows how reliable these data are, or what they mean.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stanscript said:

While watching Chris Cuomo on CNN last night, Mike Leavitt who was the Secretary of Health and Human Services under George W. Bush made an interesting comment.  He said:

"Anything you do before a pandemic is alarmist, anything after is inadequate."

That's a pretty interesting comment to not gloss over quickly.

A key theme in HBO's Chernobyl. 

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

WA is reporting that about 8 percent of their tests have come back positive.

LA is reporting that about 33 percent of their tests have come back positive. 

Who knows how reliable these data are. 

Unfortunately, we are currently on the same trajectory as Italy.  Reports are that we are two weeks behind.  Should shelter in place work and the curve is somewhat flattened,  our hospitals won't be as overly inundated with Covid-19 patients.  

Yes, your Chernobyl comment is right on the mark.

Also, the comment about being more worried about the economy than Covid-19 perhaps ought to be looked at thru a different lens.  I am very worried about the economy but it seems to me that we have to solve the virus problem first.  The economy is going to hurt big, big, big time, that's for sure.  I can really sympathize with those who are economically affected. 

The big Trump tax cut for billionaires and corporations doesn't look so good now.  With the Fed rate close to zero it is going to be hard to stimulate the economy without having the Federal Deficit turning from a cherry tomato into a 100 pound red beet.

8 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Who knows how reliable these data are, or what they mean.

My number is coming directly from our Infection Control Director.  However, given the number of test results that are still pending, I fully expect the percentage of positives to rise.  Right now, we have 21 positive patients in house with 18 more in "rule out" status.

I would also like to point out that we have also already discharged a number of patients who had it and recovered.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stanscript said:

Unfortunately, we are currently on the same trajectory as Italy.  Reports are that we are two weeks behind.  Should shelter in place work and the curve is somewhat flattened,  our hospitals won't be as overly inundated with Covid-19 patients.  

Here is something that is interesting.  Italy reported their first patient on February 20th.  Washington State reported their first one on February 22nd so we are on Italy's same trajectory.  Italy is reporting over 2000 deaths, Washington is at 56 with probably 80% of them directly related to the Kirkland nursing home.  NorCal is not very far behind, but I while I don't have their numbers on hand, they are closer to Washington's than to Italy's.

Now Italy being twice the size of Washington but with about 9x the population plays a huge role in things but in perspective, Washington's numbers are pretty remarkable.  Now seeing how it plays out in New York and other East Coast population centers over the next few weeks will be telling but moving into the social distancing phase earlier in the trajectory than than it was done on the West Coast should help to limit the progress....we're about to find out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rippers said:

I think about 97% of the tests that we have done here, and we have done a lot, have come back negative.

Interesting. 

What are the criteria to get tested there? 

Here, I know of a parent whose kid was exposed to a confirmed case in Albany, and he wants to get the kid tested, but, they won't give him an id number for the test until the kid has a fever over 100.8. 

A lot of people apparently have symptoms that appear similar to covid19, but, no fever, no test. 

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

What are the criteria to get tested there? 

Sustained fever, cough, known potential exposure.  Most people with symptoms that don't meet all criteria have usually been sent home to self quarantine and monitor while being told to come back if they get worse.  The test will happen on the return trip.  Of course, that was the procedure up until this week; they have been testing more and more people each day since then.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1