Question, now that the world is coming to an end.

thc6795

29 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Sustained fever, cough, known potential exposure.  Most people with symptoms that don't meet all criteria have usually been sent home to self quarantine and monitor while being told to come back if they get worse.  The test will happen on the return trip.  Of course, that was the procedure up until this week; they have been testing more and more people each day since then.  

I was just reading where Georgia can only get results for 100 tests per day currently and trying for 200 per day by the end of the week. 

https://www.livescience.com/georgia-coronavirus-updates.html

Tough to get an understanding on the real time numbers when the actual results are that backed up. 

45 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Sustained fever, cough, known potential exposure.  Most people with symptoms that don't meet all criteria have usually been sent home to self quarantine and monitor while being told to come back if they get worse.  The test will happen on the return trip.  Of course, that was the procedure up until this week; they have been testing more and more people each day since then.  

This is exactly what happened to me last week.  Was told no test necessary since I never had shortness of breath, hadn’t traveled to what at the time were the International hotspots, and wasn’t in contact with diagnosed Coronas.  I called my state Kung Flu hotline, and my doctor, and was told to self-isolate.  I also did not have the flu (confirmed via test).  Had 36 hours of fever, chills, dry cough, and sharp stabbing chest pains whenever I coughed.  But no mucous, and no breathing issues really.  Lotta Sleep, Gatorade, and DayQuil.

Within 36 hours it all went away (I still have a lingering cough that gets bad later in the day).

I also happened to be at dinner late in the week prior to the symptoms in the town that has now become the epicenter of Corona in my county.  I’d bet even money I had it if they had tested me.

For me (mid 30s and healthy) it was a bad flu (but shorter in duration) and I wasn’t worried at any point.  My wife and kid are healthy as are my folks who I saw the weekend prior to symptoms.  

Stay healthy everyone!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

This is exactly what happened to me last week.  Was told no test necessary since I never had shortness of breath, hadn’t traveled to what at the time were the International hotspots, and wasn’t in contact with diagnosed Coronas.  I called my state Kung Flu hotline, and my doctor, and was told to self-isolate.  I also did not have the flu (confirmed via test).  Had 36 hours of fever, chills, dry cough, and sharp stabbing chest pains whenever I coughed.  But no mucous, and no breathing issues really.  Lotta Sleep, Gatorade, and DayQuil.

Within 36 hours it all went away (I still have a lingering cough that gets bad later in the day).

I also happened to be at dinner late in the week prior to the symptoms in the town that has now become the epicenter of Corona in my county.  I’d bet even money I had it if they had tested me.

For me (mid 30s and healthy) it was a bad flu (but shorter in duration) and I wasn’t worried at any point.  My wife and kid are healthy as are my folks who I saw the weekend prior to symptoms.  

Stay healthy everyone!

Was wondering why you were more active on here in the last week. Something wasn't right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Stay healthy everyone!

They do not want honest numbers out there. 

Was just listening to some international epidemiologists that said we are dealing with this until a vaccine is online. Maybe as much as 18 months. It's not going away. 

That's plenty of time for everyone here to know someone with it personally, if they'll actually test them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Is this a troll post?

Why would the rest of the world cooperate in undermining their own economies in order to reduce Trump's chances of winning the next election? 

3 thing is that trump is the exact one we need to bring it back after it's done. That is why he will get re elected.

• Like 2

Personally, I think had Trump not declared China travel restrictions when he did, we'd be seeing a significantly more advanced rate of infection. Dr. Fauci appears to agree with that.

As regards the testing kits, someone did screw up. I assume at the CDC but there were also fuck ups at the manufacturing facilities. Even so, just how quickly do 330 million kits get manufactured in 0 days as the left seems to think was possible?

I have seen a statistic saying that 86% of carriers are asymptomatic.  Not sure how that was under H1N1, but how many people out there are going to get tested if they feel fine?

The hysteria here is simply a combination of "new disease that spreads quickly and bad for older, unhealthy folks" and "stick it to Orange Man Bad early and often, lather-rinse-repeat because there's an election coming".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, concha said:

Personally, I think had Trump not declared China travel restrictions when he did, we'd be seeing a significantly more advanced rate of infection. Dr. Fauci appears to agree with that.

As regards the testing kits, someone did screw up. I assume at the CDC but there were also fuck ups at the manufacturing facilities. Even so, just how quickly do 330 million kits get manufactured in 0 days as the left seems to think was possible?

I have seen a statistic saying that 86% of carriers are asymptomatic.  Not sure how that was under H1N1, but how many people out there are going to get tested if they feel fine?

The hysteria here is simply a combination of "new disease that spreads quickly and bad for older, unhealthy folks" and "stick it to Orange Man Bad early and often, lather-rinse-repeat because there's an election coming".

I think you aren't realizing what's still to come yet according to many epidemiologists. That's fine though. Some need reality to smack them in the face.

Regardless of how many actual test kits there are, the state of Georgia can still only actually test 100 samples per day. Hoping for 200 per day by the end of the week. That's not a big amount. In other words, if all 100 are positive each day, that's all the number jump we'll see so people can still say... "eh what's the big deal?!"

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think you aren't realizing what's still to come yet according to many epidemiologists. That's fine though. Some need reality to smack them in the face.

Regardless of how many actual test kits there are, the state of Georgia can still only actually test 100 samples per day. Hoping for 200 per day by the end of the week. That's not a big amount. In other words, if all 100 are positive each day, that's all the number jump we'll see so people can still say... "eh what's the big deal?!"

I think I know very well there could be exponential growth of the infection in our future.

My point is that if people don't feel sick (ex. 86% asymptomatic), what are the odds they'll all run out and get tested even if kits are available?

Question, with the world coming to an end why all the sudden are borders important? Has the world become racists? Please don't tell me because of this virus. President Trump and others said from day one our borders needed to be protected. People needed to be vetted and examined. Most of you called him a racist. Now most of the worlds leaders have shut their borders. Are they also racists? Or does border control actually work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, concha said:

There's a-l-w-a-y-s  an election coming.  If Trump didn't make everything out to be political, he'd be better off but he can't help himself.  God only knows how political Trump would make it if this pandemic happened during the Obama Administration.  With Trump it's all about the economy and how "popular" he claims to be even though he never breaks 50%.  I'm guessing that he is now only starting to believe that the scientific experts deserve to be in the same room with him.  Trump is and always has been in over his head.  It becomes apparent more and more every day, even to some of the FOX News hosts.  Even some of them aren't going to go down with the S.S.   Trumptanic.  Tucker Carlson is even starting to finally see the light, while Hannity probably will never see the light since he is stuck so far up........

Like a story I saw earlier said... Trump's biggest accomplishment is now on grand display. 

His attacks on the media have come home to roost so to speak. We read it here every day. While some of us were calling this thing in January, half the folks on here are so sold on Trump's media attacks that they refused to believe the warnings. 

Hell, some still do right now. 

It's surely his biggest accomplishment, destroying the trust in the media. As the WaPo says, Democracy dies in darkness. Trump has all but turned off the lights. 

39 minutes ago, stanscript said:

There's a-l-w-a-y-s  an election coming.  If Trump didn't make everything out to be political, he'd be better off but he can't help himself.  God only knows how political Trump would make it if this pandemic happened during the Obama Administration.  With Trump it's all about the economy and how "popular" he claims to be even though he never breaks 50%.  I'm guessing that he is now only starting to believe that the scientific experts deserve to be in the same room with him.  Trump is and always has been in over his head.  It becomes apparent more and more every day, even to some of the FOX News hosts.  Even some of them aren't going to go down with the S.S.   Trumptanic.  Tucker Carlson is even starting to finally see the light, while Hannity probably will never see the light since he is stuck so far up........

Not a presidential one, genius.

And the pandemic that happened under Obama was so well handled by Barry and Joey that an estimated 60 million Americans were infected. One wonders how many of them due to Obama's quick declaration of a national emergency... well over four months after H1N1 was declared a pandemic.

There's lots that's "about the economy", Stan.  The ability of people to feed themselves, for example. Clothe their children. Meet the rent or mortgage bill. Pay heating bills in the winter.  You know, Stan... little shit.

In all this time that Trump has supposedly completely ignored the experts, we've had a travel watch in early January and a travel ban on China and a public health emergency declared before the month was up.  And a national emergency just two days (not four plus effing months) after pandemic was declared.

We've had anther travel ban on the new epicenter of the breakout.

Billions have been appropriated to combat the epidemic.

All facts. But some dimwits will watch the nitwits on CNN and BSDNC and just nod. Right, Stan?

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Like a story I saw earlier said... Trump's biggest accomplishment is now on grand display. 

His attacks on the media have come home to roost so to speak. We read it here every day. While some of us were calling this thing in January, half the folks on here are so sold on Trump's media attacks that they refused to believe the warnings. 

Hell, some still do right now. 

It's surely his biggest accomplishment, destroying the trust in the media. As the WaPo says, Democracy dies in darkness. Trump has all but turned off the lights. 

The media destroyed trust.

RUSSIA! ring a bell?

You must have serious shit for brains if you think the media hasn't shot themselves in their own dicks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, concha said:

90319450_2985562104841149_14731260096067

Funny that you would use the old Soviet tactic of whataboutism.

"We're not overreacting": How COVID-19 compares to past pandemics, like H1N1

There are several posts circulating around social media comparing today's COVID-19 response to that of other pandemics. Many of them allege that H1N1, also referred to as Swine Flu, was much worse than COVID-19 and that politics or the media are impacting the world's response to today's virus. 

Dr. Bob Lutz, with the Spokane Regional Health District, pointed out a major difference between the two pandemics. 

"What they're guesstimating right now is that the mortality rate is between two, three, maybe up to four percent, that's for COVID-19. For the H1N1 or swine flu of 2009, it was less than one percent," Dr. Lutz said. 

Dr. Lutz went on to clarify that initial numbers put COVID-19's death rate at least 100 times higher than that of H1N1, though these are preliminary statistics and they will likely change as time goes on. 

He also stated that COVID-19 is spreading exponentially. On average, initial data shows that for every one person who gets it, another two people are infected. This means that COVID-19 is spreading at a higher rate than most forms of influenza as well. 

The other concern associated with COVID-19 is that you can spread it without showing any symptoms. Dr. Lutz pointed out that in countries that have the resources to test their population liberally, a portion of those testing positive either had mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, though they could still spread the virus to others. 

The incubation period is also anywhere from 2 to 14 days, though on average, it's about 5 to 6 days. This means that you can spread COVID-19 for days before you show symptoms, assuming you end up showing them at all. 

"It really is serious, and I can't help but emphasize that. We wouldn't be taking the measures that we are, some people think extreme measures, that we are, if we weren't concerned about the nature of this pandemic," Dr. Lutz said. 

It's not overly productive to compare numbers from a past pandemic to one that is currently unfolding. The numbers are changing too quickly. However, for reference, the CDC estimates that anywhere from 151,700 to 575,400 people died worldwide from H1N1 during the first year the virus circulated. In the United States from 2009 to 2010, the CDC estimates that between 43.3 and 89.3 million people were infected, between 195,086 and 402,719 were hospitalized and between 8,868 and 18,306 people died during the H1N1 pandemic. 

With a significant number of deaths from the H1N1 pandemic, and with COVID-19 having a significantly higher death rate, Dr. Lutz believes that the world's intense global response to COVID-19 could partially be caused by the lessons the world learned during the H1N1 pandemic. 

Dr. Lutz said it's too early to tell if COVID-19's numbers will surpass those of the H1N1 pandemic, but that because of a more intense global response, hopefully those numbers won't get as high as they did during the H1N1 pandemic, even with COVID-19's higher fatality rate. 

As many on social media continue to politicize this virus, Dr. Lutz wants to clarify that this is not a partisan issue. 

"It's easy to point fingers or blame, the reality is, right now we just all have to work together to address, irrespective of your party affiliations, your partisanship," he said. 

His biggest message though, is for people who think state and government officials are taking the COVID-19 response too far.

"We're not overreacting. It's very simple, we're not overreacting. This is real, people need to acknowledge that this is a real issue." Dr. Lutz said. "We wouldn't be taking these measures if we didn't think it was realistic and really concerning. So, take heed. I mean, it's really something that you need to be aware of and everybody needs to be aware of."

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Funny that you would use the old Soviet tactic of whataboutism.

It's funny how the left uses hypocrisy and double-standards to such a degree and then has the brass cojones to whine about their hypocrisy and double-standards being pointed out.

Da, comrade?

33 minutes ago, concha said:

Not a presidential one, genius.

And the pandemic that happened under Obama was so well handled by Barry and Joey that an estimated 60 million Americans were infected. One wonders how many of them due to Obama's quick declaration of a national emergency... well over four months after H1N1 was declared a pandemic.

There's lots that's "about the economy", Stan.  The ability of people to feed themselves, for example. Clothe their children. Meet the rent or mortgage bill. Pay heating bills in the winter.  You know, Stan... little shit.

In all this time that Trump has supposedly completely ignored the experts, we've had a travel watch in early January and a travel ban on China and a public health emergency declared before the month was up.  And a national emergency just two days (not four plus effing months) after pandemic was declared.

We've had anther travel ban on the new epicenter of the breakout.

Billions have been appropriated to combat the epidemic.

All facts. But some dimwits will watch the nitwits on CNN and BSDNC and just nod. Right, Stan?

Yeah, it sure looks like us nitwits that watch CNN and MSNBC are a lot farther ahead of the Coronavirus learning curve than you FOXBOTS.  For somebody that is supposed to have the answer for everything you sure can be naive.